Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

This topic inspired me to put together a dedicated minimalist set to play every once in a while. I found a set of my grandpa's Louisville persimmon woods in great shape, so I went on eBay and got some neat Hogan Apex Edge irons for like $40. My goal is to only have driver, 4 irons, and a putter. For the irons I am going to get as close to 26°, 36°, 46°, 56° as I can. So it will look like:

Driver

4i, 7i, EW, SW

Putter

Trying to figure out what kind of bag I want to carry them in. I want something simple, single strap, small, and used so it isn't too expensive.

Look for a used Jones Original bag. Awesome bag for minimalist use. Can be had used for a good price.

I'll be honest, I'm a little afraid to try the minimalist bag...

I'm 57 and a 4.9 index and walk all my rounds. I joined a private club 6 years ago and always carried my 12-13 clubs in a SM Swift X. But the private club had Clic Gear there so I just started pushing - but I miss carrying.

I think when the snow clears, I'm going to start with baby steps - take out one club for a few rounds and see how it goes, then another until I get to a comfortable #. If I were guessing I would go Driver, 5-wood, 22 degree HB, SW and Putter as necessities. Then 5, 7, 9, PW for a 9 club set or 6, 8, PW for an 8 club set. I already have a Jones Original.

I'm 57 and a 4.9 index and walk all my rounds. I joined a private club 6 years ago and always carried my 12-13 clubs in a SM Swift X. But the private club had Clic Gear there so I just started pushing - but I miss carrying.

I think when the snow clears, I'm going to start with baby steps - take out one club for a few rounds and see how it goes, then another until I get to a comfortable #. If I were guessing I would go Driver, 5-wood, 22 degree HB, SW and Putter as necessities. Then 5, 7, 9, PW for a 9 club set or 6, 8, PW for an 8 club set. I already have a Jones Original.

Honestly curious, what are you afraid of? If it’s your handicap just decide ahead of time that it’s a practice round and you’re not going to post it, take 7 or 8 clubs and see what happens. You might hate it....but you might love it. Your score might go up....but it might not.

For me, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done in golf and it’s taken my love, enjoyment, and appreciation of playing to a whole new level.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Jump right in. Begin the season with your basics (D, 5W, 22H, SW, P) plus 3 irons (6, 8, PW) for a total of 8.

It should only take a couple of rounds to find out what's necessary for you. You may even find that you can get by with fewer than 8 clubs.

Nothing beats carrying. So pure.

So my doc ups my blood pressure medicine and I decide enough is enough. Time to lose some weight. One way I'm attacking this is walking instead of riding. Which brings us to the topic at hand.

I went out with a minimalist bag (for me) for the first time today. My courses are very hilly so I didn't want to lug my full 14 club cart bag. I pulled out the Stitch SL-1 and just loaded in the bare minimum - Driver, 5 wood, 23 degree hybrid, my 7 and 9 irons (my set is juiced so those are 30 and 40 degree lofts), 50 and 56 degree vokeys and a putter. 8 clubs. I had 6 balls in the bag (I tend to panic going over water so I will lose balls), a couple of tees and the GPS watch. I had a towel strapped to the bag but that's it. I was surprised I didn't really score any worse than I normally do with a full set! I'm not a really long hitter so not having the 3 wood and 6 iron (actually a 5 iron loft) I normally use wasn't really even noticeable except for the par 5's where I did miss the 3 wood on the second shot. Third shot was just 7 iron instead of the usual 8 or 9. I noticed I missed a few holes I normally reach a little short. That's about the only things I noticed, none of which I can't adjust to. Next time I'll throw the 3 wood in and see what happens.

The walk was nice, albeit freezing cold. I don't think the pace of play for me was all that different. Maybe 15 minutes more, maybe. The Stitch is the perfect weight and size for me.

I plan on keeping this up. My son walks for his HS team and he and I play a lot. We'll just start walking together. Maybe get more conversation in which will be nice.

I feel the same way about minimal impact on scoring. It just simplifies everything in my opinion. All of my winter rounds the past 2 years have been 7 clubs (usually D, 22h, 6,8,P, 58 putter) and scores are virtually unchanged. Strongly considering bringing the minimalist approach out more often in the “regular season.”

As others have said, there is nothing to be afraid of. As a 4.9 index, you obviously know how to play and have decent course management skills. Just jump right in and try it with 7 or 8 clubs to start. Test out different set configurations to see what works best for you.

You'll probably find your scores don't change much, if any, and may actually get better. I've lowered my handicap since going minimalist exclusively over the past 2 years. I typically carry 7 or 8 clubs ... occasionally 9 at the most.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

2nd round today. This time I walked 18. Driver,5W,4H, 6/8/P/50/56 and a putter. 9 clubs. Scored about the same as I always do, but I'm loving the simplified processing of choosing a club. I think I'd prefer 52/58 over 50/56. Stitch golf bag is just the stuff! Love it! I'll keep this up until it gets too hot to walk then we'll see if having a full bag really matters.

The US Open was once won by someone using 7 clubs. I never use more than 12 clubs with my "full" bag.

I believe it was the Open Championship with Harry Vardon capturing the jug. He described his bag as often having 10 or 11 clubs, but only “seven were used as the rest were spares that were seldom employed”.

Love that 19th century vernacular.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I have revised my minimalist bag since moving to a links course with deep pothole bunkers all over the place!

Driver

4 Wood

5, 7, 8, 9, 53 and 58

Putter

I will add a 4 iron or 7 wood occasionally depending on the wind speed.

Update: With the wind blowing a steady 35mph gusting 45mph from the NW and the wind chill making it feel like +1C, It was necessary to add the 4 iron today. :shok: :( :( :(

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Abandoned my last half set and have started another aimed at maximum consistency...

Cobra f8 wood 21* 40"

Cobra f8 one length 5i 22.5* 37.5"

Cobra f8 one length 7i 29.5* 37.5"

Cobra f7 one length 9i 40* 37.5"

Nike Vapor Fly Pro AW 49* 36.5"

Cleveland CB RTX 2.0 56* 35.5"

I'll add a 3 wood or driver on longer courses or if I'm playing particularly well off the tee at the time...

Trying it out for the first time this weekend

I have revised my minimalist bag since moving to a links course with deep pothole bunkers all over the place!

Driver

4 Wood

5, 7, 8, 9, 53 and 58

Putter

I will add a 4 iron or 7 wood occasionally depending on the wind speed.

Update: With the wind blowing a steady 35mph gusting 45mph from the NW and the wind chill making it feel like +1C, It was necessary to add the 4 iron today. :shok: :( :( :(

Try today??? Need a god stick, can you image birkdale today? Storm Gareth hitting home

I have been using a 10 club bag for years. Walk 100+ rds per year.

Informal poll..... what do MG’ers consider a “ minimalist” club count ?

I tend to think of minimalist bags as single digits myself but no hard and fast rules I don't think and totally up to individual interpretation. 10 is definitely in the range of minimal.

100+ walking rounds a year....very nice, I'm jealous!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I have been using a 10 club bag for years. Walk 100+ rds per year.

Informal poll..... what do MG’ers consider a “ minimalist” club count ?

I tend to think of minimalist bags as single digits myself but no hard and fast rules I don't think and totally up to individual interpretation. 10 is definitely in the range of minimal.

100+ walking rounds a year....very nice, I'm jealous!

I'd say 9 is max minimalist.... But if you're happy with 10 then that's fine. I'm on 8 and it suits me fine for my yardages

I’ve tried every # of club combo imaginable when i decided to lighten the bag. You have uncovered the “key” scruffynick, figuring out what works for your yardages. Fun and frustrating at the same time. When irons are dialed in and you ditch half of them - yikes !

For the home track it’s 8 irons/driver and putter. On the road i’ll swap out the 5i for a 4 hybrid as the par 4’s are sometimes longer.

Have tried to go even lighter this year by working into graphite iron shafts. Unfortunately the lead tape is not saving me any weight.

I’ve tried every # of club combo imaginable when i decided to lighten the bag. You have uncovered the “key” scruffynick, figuring out what works for your yardages. Fun and frustrating at the same time. When irons are dialed in and you ditch half of them - yikes !

For the home track it’s 8 irons/driver and putter. On the road i’ll swap out the 5i for a 4 hybrid as the par 4’s are sometimes longer.

Have tried to go even lighter this year by working into graphite iron shafts. Unfortunately the lead tape is not saving me any weight.

The thing is for me is I'm a short knocker but I'm straight especially my driver which I need to get 230 onwards. I did a test years back on my 4,5,6 irons. Hit about 20 coloured balls with my 4 iron, then white with 5 iron and marked with my 6...worryingly my 6 iron was the same distance. In fact among 60 plus balls there wasn't any difference at all.... And my fav club is a 6 iron so it's in.

Did the same with 7,8,9 iron and my 8 iron is a favourite and I can whack it to a 7 iron length but for me it's easier to knock down to a 9 iron... Then I go pw. But that was my thinking oh about 10 years ago now and I just enjoying carrying a nice light load

My all PING Sunday Funday bag is complete with some of my fav PING clubs. G30 driver, K15 7 wood, G30 5 hybrid, i500 8 iron, i200 UW, Glide 58*, Anser 5 putter. Now the snow just needs.to melt!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Love this thread. I carry 12 most of the time even in competition, so getting to 9 will be a piece of cake. I always walk so 9 clubs will feel like I am carrying hardly anything.

I am currently playing in a match play tournament at my club. I had a match yesterday against a guy who has embraced the minimalist approach but from a completely practical rational. He was a mid twenties handicap a couple of years ago, and decided to throw out all the clubs that he couldn’t handle. He can’t hit woods he says, the heads are too big, high lofted wedges gave him problems too. So 9 degree driver gone, three wood adios, same with five wood and lob wedge. He bought a 13 degree driving iron with a steel shaft and he has four or five SGI irons, a PW, a 54 degree SW and an old PING PAL putter in a beat up one strap bag. Since adopting this set up his handicap has dropped to 17. He hits that driving iron like a freaking iron Byron about 210 down the middle with a little cut. I’m an 8 cap so I had to give him 9 strokes and it was all I could do to fend him off. I won, but barely.

He tells me he walks every round, and carries, no pull cart.

If more higher cap guys took this approach in their own way, their setup built to their strengths and simplifying everything, handicaps would go down and rounds would be shorter. Forget higher caps, try everybody.

Great thread. I’ll post my bag when I get it figured out.

• Like 1

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

The US Open was once won by someone using 7 clubs. I never use more than 12 clubs with my "full" bag.

I believe it was the Open Championship with Harry Vardon capturing the jug. He described his bag as often having 10 or 11 clubs, but only “seven were used as the rest were spares that were seldom employed”.

Love that 19th century vernacular.

It was Chick Evans who won the US Open with 7 clubs. Vardon commonly used 9.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Love this thread. I carry 12 most of the time even in competition, so getting to 9 will be a piece of cake. I always walk so 9 clubs will feel like I am carrying hardly anything.

I am currently playing in a match play tournament at my club. I had a match yesterday against a guy who has embraced the minimalist approach but from a completely practical rational. He was a mid twenties handicap a couple of years ago, and decided to throw out all the clubs that he couldn't handle. He can't hit woods he says, the heads are too big, high lofted wedges gave him problems too. So 9 degree driver gone, three wood adios, same with five wood and lob wedge. He bought a 13 degree driving iron with a steel shaft and he has four or five SGI irons, a PW, a 54 degree SW and an old PING PAL putter in a beat up one strap bag. Since adopting this set up his handicap has dropped to 17. He hits that driving iron like a freaking iron Byron about 210 down the middle with a little cut. I'm an 8 cap so I had to give him 9 strokes and it was all I could do to fend him off. I won, but barely.

He tells me he walks every round, and carries, no pull cart.

If more higher cap guys took this approach in their own way, their setup built to their strengths and simplifying everything, handicaps would go down and rounds would be shorter. Forget higher caps, try everybody.

Great thread. I'll post my bag when I get it figured out.

Another tool to selecting clubs is to track what clubs you actually are using for your tee, fairway and approach shots. That really helped me identify clubs use as opposed to just taking a 3-5-7-9 or 4-6-8-PW approach. Trying to get consistent gaps 6, 8 or 10 degrees is another fashion - also using distances 200-150-100, etc. to select clubs. It's fun to try and put a bag together - enjoy and good luck!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I have done some minimalist rounds in the past but this year I will have a dedicated minimalist set of irons. I will just move my driver and putter over from my normal set.

I found a great deal of Ping i3 blades (4-pw, uw, lw) with a ping moonlight from a buddy.

I have will go Driver, 4, 6, 8, PW, UW, putter. I would prefer to have a 56* instead of the UW and may look for a matching SW from a i3 set, green dot.

Anyone interested in the other i3 irons from this set?

Played two rounds over the weekend with 9 irons scores were about normal, both courses i have never played before so i'm happy with that I do like the lack of choices making things easier, experimenting with loft gaps right now pretty sure I can get around with 8 clubs or less, probably going to carry 10 when tournament season hits

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Opening day at my local course tomorrow, taking a half day to head out with my new Mackenzie and 7 or 8 clubs and walking what I'm sure will be a wet and soggy 18.....but I can't wait!!!  

Trying to decide if I want to throw a hybrid in between my strong 3 and my 4 iron....I might.

Opening day tomorrow and going with half set of my current gamers: 4w, 3ut, 5, 7, 9, 52, 58, p

And on Sunday I'm going to alternate the other half of my set: D, 2ut, 4, 6, 8, pw, 52, 58, p

I'm not ready to go full time half set other than casual walking rounds. When our club has events we have to take carts anyways so I might as well take the whole bag until I know I can play with those gaps.