Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1385130711' post='8189582']
I was so close to buying some Callaway Razr X Muscle backs (5,7,9) last night in "like new condition" until I saw they didn't take paypal.

Glad I didn't. I would rather get a few rounds in with my current J38's in a minimalist setup before I make the jump.

Callaway preowned looks to be a great place to buy individual irons, especially if you want to go with Callaway irons.
[/quote]

I had looked there but always have enjoyed building what I played but a 3 deep, muscle back, jaws and tank setup were really tempting

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

Lost the picture of all of the unboxing but I am hopefully going to finish up the build today I will be sure to get a picture of the completed set up

So I finally got out with my driver, 21* hybrid, 5, 7, 9, 52*, 60* and putter the other day. It was kinda raining, I hadn't played in a couple weeks and my score was.... average. I usually shoot anywhere in the 80's and I shot 86. Not good, not bad; just average. It was just me and one friend on the front and another buddy joined us on #11 and we finished in just over 2 hours. All in all, the round was quite enjoyable.

Ping G15 10.5* w/ Prolaunch Red S
Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin

[quote name='Towelieeee' timestamp='1385224709' post='8195476']
So I finally got out with my driver, 21* hybrid, 5, 7, 9, 52*, 60* and putter the other day. It was kinda raining, I hadn't played in a couple weeks and my score was.... average. I usually shoot anywhere in the 80's and I shot 86. Not good, not bad; just average. It was just me and one friend on the front and another buddy joined us on #11 and we finished in just over 2 hours. All in all, the round was quite enjoyable.
[/quote]

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and I assume the scores will only get better as you get more chances to try out this set up

Here is the new bag all completed

[attachment=1961092:minimalist.jpg]

Lets see some pictures of your bags guys I wanna see what kind of set ups people have

My brother, a friend of mine, and myself will be playing at my brothers course (Champions Retreat, Evans, GA) the day after Thanksgiving. We will likely be playing with my brother's regular group.

I told my bro yesterday....."when we play on Friday I am going to try something different".......He says "what's that"......"I am only going to have 9 clubs in my bag."

He starts laughing. "If you show up to my house with only 9 clubs in your bag, don't plan on leaving <<insert his home address>>."

I explained to him why I am doing it and said I believe I will play better this way.

We came to the agreement that I will have my normal 14 clubs but I will only use 9.

[quote name='Hester65' timestamp='1385304765' post='8199146']
Bubba Watson thinks he so cool shooting an 82 with just a 20 degree hybrid. I can shoot an 82 on the front 9 with just a hybrid...
[/quote]

I told that to a chap that holds the course record at a track that I play. Sure you shot 63 from the tips... I shot 59... from the whites... on the front...

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1385245815' post='8196794']

Lets see some pictures of your bags guys I wanna see what kind of set ups people have
[/quote]

Love that look.... I usually just grab some clubs and toss them in my Sunday Bag but now you have me wanting to build something just for kicks.

I think it was asked before but is that the new Ping Sunday bag with the legs?

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

[quote name='9woodfan' timestamp='1385306154' post='8199228']
[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1385245815' post='8196794']

[/quote]

Love that look.... I usually just grab some clubs and toss them in my Sunday Bag but now you have me wanting to build something just for kicks.

I think it was asked before but is that the new Ping Sunday bag with the legs?
[/quote]

It is a sunmountain swift x stand bag deffinately light enough for me

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1385392801' post='8203844']
On a drunken Saturday afternoon in my college days, I shot 2 under on a crappy nine hole muni course in Memphis carrying a 7 iron, a golf ball and an ice chest of cold beers.

Oh, and I wasn't wearing a shirt.

Granted, no hole was longer than 320 years, but still....it was a fun day.
[/quote]

EPIC . . .

Seems like shorter muni's may be the place to play a bag like this.

Related to my last post what course yardage do you guys carrying minimalist set ups like to play?

My thought is I could probably play pretty comfortably up to 6500-6600 yards anything more than that and I think that 4 wood for 550 yard par 5's and 450 yard par 4's could be a little daunting. It can also be fun to play those shorter courses from time to time, your hitting shots from different places and have really different looks at greens.

So what yardages do you guys play with your set ups?

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1385419029' post='8206504']
Full boat...or what's the point. ;)
[/quote]

Exactly. The whole point of playing with fewer clubs is to get creative with what I have at hand. I love the fact there is never the perfect club and I am always having to manufacture some kind of shot. Even coming up short on a par 4 is fun because you then have to get up and down for par.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1385391328' post='8203712']
My brother, the same one that made fun of me using 9 clubs, mentioned how they had a 3 club tournament at his club and the club Champion shot -2 with a 6i, wedge, and a putter. Won by like 16 strokes.

I find that hard to believe
[/quote]i take this back. It was a 3 wood, 6i and SW.....no putter.

2 under

unreal

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1385432823' post='8207882']
[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1385391328' post='8203712']
My brother, the same one that made fun of me using 9 clubs, mentioned how they had a 3 club tournament at his club and the club Champion shot -2 with a 6i, wedge, and a putter. Won by like 16 strokes.

I find that hard to believe
[/quote]i take this back. It was a 3 wood, 6i and SW.....no putter.

2 under

unreal
[/quote]

We had a guy in my program shoot 1 under in our 1 club tournament with just 7 iron we were playing at 6800 yards. Funny thing is this was on his home course and was one of his top 5 rounds he has ever played there.

On a drunken Saturday afternoon in my college days, I shot 2 under on a crappy nine hole muni course in Memphis carrying a 7 iron, a golf ball and an ice chest of cold beers.

[/quote]

That has to be Overton in midtown, right next to the zoo. Literally the longest hole is 320, not that the course doesn't have some challenge though. They do a one club tournament every year in the summer.

Galloway, which is probably the most well kept pub link, is only 6000 from the tips. It makes up for it with a little water and some somewhat slick greens. Last time I played Galloway, the biggest club I carried was a 21 degree hybrid.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.

[quote name='Hester65' timestamp='1385482956' post='8210406']

[/quote]

That has to be Overton in midtown, right next to the zoo. Literally the longest hole is 320, not that the course doesn't have some challenge though. They do a one club tournament every year in the summer.

Galloway, which is probably the most well kept pub link, is only 6000 from the tips. It makes up for it with a little water and some somewhat slick greens. Last time I played Galloway, the biggest club I carried was a 21 degree hybrid.
[/quote]

You are exactly right. It was Overton on Poplar! I went to Rhodes so it wasn't far away.

Speaking of Gallaway, I lived two blocks from there my Senior year. One night after staying out too late, we walked over there and each dropped a ball from the 100 yard marker on 18. We couldn't see much so we just aimed at the golf shop. Hit our shots in the dark and walked up to the green to find our balls. After looking for a while, I walked up to the hole jokingly, and looked down to se my ball sitting in the cup. I immediately called my dad at 3 AM, claiming that I made a hole in one. Then he asked if I played all 18, when I said no, he said "then it doesn't count." He bashed my moment before I could even tell him that it wasn't a par 3 and instead, it was just a ball I dropped on a par 4. Killed my buzz twice.

Hahaha. Well, that's just good parenting. That 18th hole is a cruel mistress; have to hit the ball 230+ off the tee to get to mid/short iron, miss left any it's on walnut grove rd, miss right and the green is blocked by 100ft trees (bogey at best).

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.

[quote name='Hester65' timestamp='1385494706' post='8211502']
Hahaha. Well, that's just good parenting. That 18th hole is a cruel mistress; have to hit the ball 230+ off the tee to get to mid/short iron, miss left any it's on walnut grove rd, miss right and the green is blocked by 100ft trees (bogey at best).
[/quote]

Cmon now in WRX land thats an easy 8 off the tee followed by a 3/4 or 1/2 lob wedge depending on the wind lol

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/899971-minimalist-golfer-equipment-issue-help/

I almost always walk, so I have been minimalizing my bag since forever.[list]
[*]Too many balls is the first place to look and reduces a lot of weight without having to think.
[*]Even irons or odd irons. Rotate them.
[*]Just two wedges or three at the most. I think good players can learn to use less wedges with 1/2 swing and full swing + open | close.
[/list]

Most experienced players have, at one time or another, taken half the clubs out of their bag and played with half a set. Carrying 14 clubs or 7 clubs, the 18 hole score will likely be the same.
i expect that if a 70.5 scoring average tour pro used half a set of clubs, his scoring average would continue to be 70.5.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Shot 83 today using 9 clubs. I liked it. Never missed any other the other clubs and could have used them (they were in my bag) but I decided before my round to use on my Driver, 3H, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, 50*, and putter.

I think I am close to pulling the trigger on a partial set on Callaway Preowned.

[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1385499256' post='8211942']
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/899971-minimalist-golfer-equipment-issue-help/

I almost always walk, so I have been minimalizing my bag since forever.[list]
[*]Too many balls is the first place to look and reduces a lot of weight without having to think.
[*]Even irons or odd irons. Rotate them.
[*]Just two wedges or three at the most. I think good players can learn to use less wedges with 1/2 swing and full swing + open | close.
[/list]
[/quote]

This is great advice.

(Also, I think I just fell in love.)

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Fully took the plunge yesterday. Bought some Callaway Razr X Muscleback 5, 7, and 9 iron from callawaypreowned.com in "Like New Condition." All have PX 6.5's in them.....don't know if that will change or not.

Also have a new Callaway forged 52* wedge on the way that I am going to bend to 51*.

Been kicking around the idea about my 3H. I have a old Taylormade Rescue Mid TP 19* that I have had forever, that I like. I also have a Adams Idea Pro Black 20* head that I need a shaft for. Another option is a Titleist 710 AP1 3 iron that I like a lot at well. I hit it about the same distance as the TM Rescue. Just don't know if I want to go without a wood (other than driver) in my bag

[quote name='MrMorganUSC' timestamp='1385905219' post='8232294']
Fully took the plunge yesterday. Bought some Callaway Razr X Muscleback 5, 7, and 9 iron from callawaypreowned.com in "Like New Condition." All have PX 6.5's in them.....don't know if that will change or not.

Also have a new Callaway forged 52* wedge on the way that I am going to bend to 51*.

Been kicking around the idea about my 3H. I have a old Taylormade Rescue Mid TP 19* that I have had forever, that I like. I also have a Adams Idea Pro Black 20* head that I need a shaft for. Another option is a Titleist 710 AP1 3 iron that I like a lot at well. I hit it about the same distance as the TM Rescue. Just don't know if I want to go without a wood (other than driver) in my bag
[/quote]I have been reading this thread and jumped on callwaypreowned this morning. all XHot products are 15-25% off today. I ordered enough to make me a minimalist set of 8 clubs.

3deep 14.5 (already had)
xhp hybrid 18* (already had)
xhp hybrid 23* (callypreowned)
xhp irons 6,8,pw (callypre)
TM ATV 54* (callypre)
putter xg #1 (already had)

Can't wait to try this experiment out. Probably will commit to playing this set until spring. Should I start scoring as good or better than my 14 handicap I may stick it out all summer. Best part was I traded in some old clubs so the clubs I got today only cost $5 out of pocket! ONLY on golfwrx do guys buy MORE clubs to create a minimalist set lol!