2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Shutting Down Upro 12/31/2014 (Merged)

M23

From http://www.callawayuxplore.com

As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the www.callawayuxplore.com website will be shut down after 12/31/2014.

Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices. More FAQ for your device: • Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable. • No new course updates will be processed. • The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a shocker. The mx was an absolute disaster--I remember buying it thinking it'd be great. It worked for a month or so then locked up.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384548831' post='8154752']
People who bought these probably bought Dune mp3 players too
[/quote]
This was one of the best gps devices out there, they unfortunately didn't do a great job with the software in the beginning. Say what you will, but I've been more than happy with mine. Forgive those of us who wanted to buy a device that had more features than a skycaddie and didn't have a subscription. Not really sure why you would compare it to a Zune (maybe pay attention to autocorrect), they've had 2 successful GPS units before this one.

Thanks for trying to make a inaccurate generalization and adding nothing to the conversation :good:

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1384708956' post='8162158']
[/quote]
This was one of the best gps devices out there, they unfortunately didn't do a great job with the software in the beginning. Say what you will, but I've been more than happy with mine. Forgive those of us who wanted to buy a device that had more features than a skycaddie and didn't have a subscription. Not really sure why you would compare it to a Zune (maybe pay attention to autocorrect), they've had 2 successful GPS units before this one.

Thanks for trying to make a inaccurate generalization and adding nothing to the conversation :good:
[/quote]

Thanks for being an uptight tw_t

This sucks. I have an original upro and have never had a problem with it.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384718236' post='8162756']
[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1384708956' post='8162158']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for being an uptight tw_t
[/quote]
Just don't understand what point there is making a comment like that. You obviously know people on the site have these. Next time I guess we should just pat you on the back and say "good one" to avoid the chance of any more name calling.

It was at least 5 years ago already, maybe more, I really questioned Cally's decisions to be part of nearly every available segment of the golf market.
They had reading glasses and watches and rangefinders and GPS and luggage and.....on and on and on... another manufacturer spreading themselves waaaaay too thin. Couple this with lavish Vegas commercial shoots, etc. and well, gee, surprise, financial troubles. They were like drunks on a late nate ebay spree. Competition is good and I hope they don't go away, but lots of baaaad decisions over the years.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1384723122' post='8163072']
It was at least 5 years ago already, maybe more, I really questioned Cally's decisions to be part of nearly every available segment of the golf market.
They had reading glasses and watches and rangefinders and GPS and luggage and.....on and on and on... another manufacturer spreading themselves waaaaay too thin. Couple this with lavish Vegas commercial shoots, etc. and well, gee, surprise, financial troubles. They were like drunks on a late nate ebay spree. Competition is good and I hope they don't go away, but lots of baaaad decisions over the years.
[/quote]
They have definitely returned their focus on clubs w/ Chip in charge. 2013 was proof of that, and everything that has been shown of 2014 is top of the line. They are pumping out some top quality stuff and it seems like the future is bright for them again. Cutting support for the GPS devices is proof of where they are focusing their resources. I think they handled the MX stuff really well, they offered FULL refunds if people were unhappy, how many other retail companies would do that with an electronic device, especially when they were coming out with a software patch that addressed the major issues.

[/quote]
Please enlighten the Upro buyers on what they should have purchased instead.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

I've been a supporter of this unit since the first day it came out. It really had a chance to be something that you just couldnt find in another unit. No fees. Fairly easy website to use once they got through the hiccups. Excellent form factor - I mean you compare the size of this thing to a SkyCaddie unit - its crazy.

Unfortunately Callaway stepped all over themselves and shutting it down is probably the best thing they could do. To me I think the Garmin G6 is probably the closest thing right now. But I will probably just load this up with courses and use it until it dies at this point.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='jerryo' timestamp='1384728516' post='8163508']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

Companies whose main focus is golf GPS or in the case of Garmin gps devices in general.

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1384727915' post='8163454']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1384723122' post='8163072']
[/quote]
They have definitely returned their focus on clubs w/ Chip in charge. 2013 was proof of that, and everything that has been shown of 2014 is top of the line. They are pumping out some top quality stuff and it seems like the future is bright for them again. Cutting support for the GPS devices is proof of where they are focusing their resources. I think they handled the MX stuff really well, they offered FULL refunds if people were unhappy, how many other retail companies would do that with an electronic device, especially when they were coming out with a software patch that addressed the major issues.
[/quote]
Yeah, no one seems to ever have a bad thing to say about their service, and a lot of their gear looks very good now. I think 2014 will be a good one for them with the cutting of some products. Hopefully its not too little, too late. We don't need another company getting bought up by a competitor or going under.

The original UPro set the bench mark for a GPS unit. The mx launch was a mess but Callaway gave refunds and then made the product really good with the mx+. I got one on amazon early in 13 and gave my original UPro to my son. Both work perfectly. I will have mine loaded with as many pro mode courses as possible at the end of next season and hope it lasts as long as possible.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384729010' post='8163550']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

Companies whose main focus is golf GPS or in the case of Garmin gps devices in general.
[/quote]

It doesn't make sense. There are many diverse companies out there. Some sell manufacturing equipment and also sell IT services, some sell cars and also sell telecom services. There is no reason that a golf company can't also sell a GPS, and again, they had two models before this one that were very good (as was this one once the bugs were fixed). If that is your thinking, Bushnell shouldn't have got into the GPS market either. They are a company that focuses on optics. Scopes, range finders, etc. GPS is a completely different technology. I think there are a lot of people that are very happy with their Neo devices (I have one and it works great for simple distance data to greens and hazards).

Skycaddie has you on the hook to pay for service. Some people just don't want to deal with another subscription fee on top of an already expensive device. Maybe that changed, I haven't checked.
Garmin is bulky if you want something that shows a hole overview and greens. I don't really know much about Golfbuddy.

Either way you look at it, the MX+ filled a spot for those that wanted a smaller device that had full hole maps, layup distances and real images of the course. Now 2 years later, there are other options but we can still be sad to see it go, no?

[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

[/quote]
Fair enough. I bought a Upro MX+ on the bay for a very, very reasonable price. It was back in July I think. This device has worked perfectly. It is the perfect size. I only use the features that came on the device. i did download one course but realized immediately that basic mode and the other mode that comes on the unit are all I need. I liked the MX+ so much I sold my Pro 1M rangefinder. A decision I do not regret one bit.

Looks like I will be using my unit until it dies. I don't blame Cally for shutting this division down. I would do the same thing if i was them. I knew when i bought the unit that this outcome was a very real possiblilty.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1384732403' post='8163846']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

[/quote]

SNIP....

Garmin is bulky if you want something that shows a hole overview and greens. I don't really know much about Golfbuddy.

Either way you look at it, the MX+ filled a spot for those that wanted a smaller device that had full hole maps, layup distances and real images of the course. Now 2 years later, there are other options but we can still be sad to see it go, no?
[/quote]

The Garmin G6 is small, light and shows fairway details (just not with real pictures) but that really shouldn't matter and frankly are generally higher contrast and easier to see than a real aerial image. You should check it out. Dicks has (or had) it on sale for $250 and I believe another $50 rebate.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1384734530' post='8164044']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

[/quote]

SNIP....

[/quote]

The Garmin G6 is small, light and shows fairway details (just not with real pictures) but that really shouldn't matter and frankly are generally higher contrast and easier to see than a real aerial image. You should check it out. Dicks has (or had) it on sale for $250 and I believe another $50 rebate.
[/quote]
That wasn't around when the MX was released. The new one is obviously better, but the one that was out 2 yrs ago was a tank from what I remember (on of the guys in my league had one). I walk and like to keep it in my pocket. That is another reason why I didn't like the Skycaddie.
I did take a look at the G6, and if the uPro dies on me after next year that is probably going to be the one.

The only benefit of real pictures is to capture the buildings, shrub/trees that the mapper may not have marked down when mapping the course. Some of that stuff comes in handy. I think this was "patent pending" when the original upro came out, not sure if it was ever approved. Would be nice if they'd sell that off to someone else.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1384734530' post='8164044']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

[/quote]

SNIP....

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't call the g6 small but it is a great unit.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='ronbo' timestamp='1384826625' post='8169852']
I'm Shutting down from buying anything from Callaway, goes both ways........ You would have thought they would give you a Gift card to buy something else from them!! Class less move.
[/quote]

Good move.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

I had a Upro a few years back, kept it for 1 year and then sold it. I think it was an ok device, the flyovers were nice to see but the interface with their website was poor for the most part. One thing I did not like was when requesting courses in Pro Mode nothing ever happened, I requested about 10 courses in my first month of use, none were ever done.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Had the original Golf Guru for years - LOVED it. Picked up a uPro in January, as uPro was my second choice when I purchased the Guru way back when. I thought the fact that Callaway had purchased them was nothing but a plus.

That was a swing and a miss... Haven't even owned it a year!

Not sure where I will go next. I won't pay a subscription fee, and refuse to bring my phone on the golf course (silly perhaps, but I feel pretty strongly about that).

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
TM MG on Aldila VS Proto 100 (50*, 54*, 58*)
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
2020 Srixon Z Star

[quote name='Saluki91' timestamp='1384860834' post='8171328']
Had the original Golf Guru for years - LOVED it. Picked up a uPro in January, as uPro was my second choice when I purchased the Guru way back when. I thought the fact that Callaway had purchased them was nothing but a plus.

That was a swing and a miss... Haven't even owned it a year!

Not sure where I will go next. I won't pay a subscription fee, and refuse to bring my phone on the golf course (silly perhaps, but I feel pretty strongly about that).
[/quote]
From one Golf Guru owner to another, they were the best. I still love my G002.

I did get the Bushnell Neo-X and am now loving it. I'd say go with the NeoX or Garmin watch or Garmin G6. Currently there are $50 rebates on garmin products and no annual fees on any I've mentioned.

Good luck.

[quote name='ronbo' timestamp='1384826625' post='8169852']
I'm Shutting down from buying anything from Callaway, goes both ways........ You would have thought they would give you a Gift card to buy something else from them!! Class less move.
[/quote]

I think they made well on the disastrous release.
Their going to keep the website up for another year plus. Your gps will work indefinitely on the same courses. By the time you can't use it anymore there will probably be better technology available that's worth buying.