2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Shutting Down Upro 12/31/2014 (Merged)

M23

I picked up the uPro Go when they came out and it's still working great. Battery life has reduced as would be expected for the years I've had it. Used to get two rounds in before charging, now it only makes it through one. Was planning to find a replacement battery and keep using it. Sync'ed it this morning and saw the notice announcement.

Reasons for getting it where simple, not very expensive, no subscription fees, found it easy to sync with the web site, 18+k courses, simple to use, fits in a small leather phone holder on my waist.

Not in a big hurry to replace it, have another year plus of updates and the GPS service will continue after that until the Sat burns up in the atmosphere.
Golf Buddy will probably be my next one, I want the courses on the device and not worry about loading up courses before I play.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1384879413' post='8172394']
[quote name='ronbo' timestamp='1384826625' post='8169852']
I'm Shutting down from buying anything from Callaway, goes both ways........ You would have thought they would give you a Gift card to buy something else from them!! Class less move.
[/quote]

I think they made well on the disastrous release.
Their going to keep the website up for another year plus. Your gps will work indefinitely on the same courses. By the time you can't use it anymore there will probably be better technology available that's worth buying.
[/quote]

I own an original and just got an MX+ for $50 shipped.

I love the form factor and at the price I'll have a unit with 50 pro mode courses and the rest on go mode. And another 50 on the original unit I suppose.

[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1384734260' post='8164018']
Am I the only one who thinks it would make sense for Callaway to buy SkyGolf? Callaway would get the leading golf GPS, and SkyGolf would get better customer service.
[/quote]

Disagree on numerous counts.

First and foremost, just because Callaway has great customer service for their clubs, that doesn't equate to a great support structure should they pick up Sky Caddie.

As much as I love Callaway's support it's basically sending out a replacement for what I have that's broken. That's a completely different than electronic products where you may have spend time debugging hardware, software, etc.

Unless you are a company like Garmin that's heavily invested in GPS across a number of market segments it makes little sense to get into the dedicated golf GPS business.

[quote name='Golfwolf' timestamp='1384859224' post='8171298']
I had a Upro a few years back, kept it for 1 year and then sold it. I think it was an ok device, the flyovers were nice to see but the interface with their website was poor for the most part. One thing I did not like was when requesting courses in Pro Mode nothing ever happened, I requested about 10 courses in my first month of use, none were ever done.
[/quote]

I have only made one course request and they had it done within a couple weeks. I was surprised how quick they did it.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1384898585' post='8174044']
[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1384734260' post='8164018']
Am I the only one who thinks it would make sense for Callaway to buy SkyGolf? Callaway would get the leading golf GPS, and SkyGolf would get better customer service.
[/quote]

Disagree on numerous counts.

First and foremost, just because Callaway has great customer service for their clubs, that doesn't equate to a great support structure should they pick up Sky Caddie.

As much as I love Callaway's support it's basically sending out a replacement for what I have that's broken. That's a completely different than electronic products where you may have spend time debugging hardware, software, etc.

Unless you are a company like Garmin that's heavily invested in GPS across a number of market segments it makes little sense to get into the dedicated golf GPS business.
[/quote]
An acqisition like that *could* work if done properly. There are two ways to get into new markets, internal expansion and by acquisition. It looks like they went the internal route but not 100% sure they did the electronic design in house. It was working ok until the MX.

If they would acquire a successful gps company they would need to allow the design/Dev team to continue as normal. Then they could start to bring some of their core values into their operations like customer service. Same development processes and the same support personnel from SC could allow it to work. As you mentioned they'd need someone versed in troubleshooting electronics and firmware.

In general, it happens all the time but the integration needs to be done correctly.

Isn't that what they did before. They bought UPro after it was already on the market.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1385080300' post='8186720']
Isn't that what they did before. They bought UPro after it was already on the market.
[/quote]
No clue, don't know my gps history :) Now that you mention it, it does sound familiar but I really don't know.
Main point is that if they want to make it work, they should allow the company to operate as a subsidiary. I really have no clue how they handled the GPS stuff. They could have outsourced all the hardware design and just developed firmware, could have outsourced it all...who knows.

Acquisitions are rarely simple. There is so much more than gobbling up a name and products. The hardest thing to do is change cultures and management philosophies when are never the same between the two companies.

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1385089925' post='8187772']
[/quote]
No clue, don't know my gps history :) Now that you mention it, it does sound familiar but I really don't know.
Main point is that if they want to make it work, they should allow the company to operate as a subsidiary. I really have no clue how they handled the GPS stuff. They could have outsourced all the hardware design and just developed firmware, could have outsourced it all...who knows.

Acquisitions are rarely simple. There is so much more than gobbling up a name and products. The hardest thing to do is change cultures and management philosophies when are never the same between the two companies.
[/quote]

CWing is right, Callaway acquired uPro, which at the time had the anypoint technology which was unique.

The original premise was that Callaway knows customer support and could fix what's seen as a weakness in sky caddie.

Problem is that unless it's a simple matter of someone answering the phone and getting back, it's entirely possible that the support problems come from how the support group operates, which may turn out to be a problem with the fundamental SC design that makes it tough to track down problems.

If Callaway saw money in the dedicated golf GPS biz, I'm sure they'd have invested in uPro rather than buy yet another company.

I'm guessing they've at least considered the feasiblity of porting the upro software to ios and android.

[quote name='jerryo' timestamp='1384728516' post='8163508']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384548831' post='8154752']
People who bought these probably bought Dune mp3 players too
[/quote]
Please enlighten the Upro buyers on what they should have purchased instead.
[/quote]

How about a LASER range finder? It only depends in unrestricted line of sight, battery power and user proficiency. GPS technology depends in more external factors before it gets your device working… GPS satellites can always be shut-down.

SLDR 9.5 with TP Fuel 60S
3W RBZ Stage 2 TP// 5W MacTech (18.5)
3-6 Scratch AR-1V2
7-P Scratch SB-1
Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 58 (TS)

[quote name='samawc' timestamp='1385252049' post='8197206']
[quote name='jerryo' timestamp='1384728516' post='8163508']
[/quote]
Please enlighten the Upro buyers on what they should have purchased instead.
[/quote]

How about a LASER range finder? It only depends in unrestricted line of sight, battery power and user proficiency. GPS technology depends in more external factors before it gets your device working… GPS satellites can always be shut-down.
[/quote]

Hmm, I can't count how many times I can't see what I'm aiming at, or I want a layup yardage, or I want to know how far it is to that blind hazard. Lasers are good for, as you said, visible targets. Nothing else.
Those satellites aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Anyone else having a problem with logging in to uxplore? If I try to log in, it defaults me back to registration - when I use the password they email to me after saying I forgot my password, it does the same thing, then says the username is already taken.

Nike Vapor Flex 9.5* Left/Low, Rogue Max Low 75TX
Nike VR Pro LE 15*, 'Ahina 75s
Nike Vapor Fly 20*, ATX Tour Green 85TX
Titleist 712U 4i, C-Taper 120x
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro 5-P, X100
Ping Tour Gorge 50SS, SM5 M-Grind 54/10, TM Tour Preferred 58/10
Edel E-3 Torque Balanced 36", 345g, Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour 104cc
Titleist Pro V1x
All gripped w/ Lamkin Crossline ACE Midsize, with buildup tape 15.5mm RH/16mm LH

[quote name='ijohnson' timestamp='1385859114' post='8230280']
Anyone else having a problem with logging in to uxplore? If I try to log in, it defaults me back to registration - when I use the password they email to me after saying I forgot my password, it does the same thing, then says the username is already taken.
[/quote]

No problems here. I was on last night.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Too bad, I'm still using my original uPro which I bought right about the time Callaway acquired uPro (box has no Callaway logo). I do struggle with the website from time to time, but I managed to log in eventually (actually it's more a MAC problem recognizing the uPro device via USB).

I'll load up on the courses, but I've been thinking about a laser for awhile but it probably won't be a Callaway/Nikon.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

Just a reminder too that - IIRC - the basic mode course information will continue to work, and all of that comes preloaded on the unit. Definitely would recommend loading up all the Pro Mode courses that you can though.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I have a mx+ upro. It always turns off in the beginning, middle, and end of the rounds. So I bought the bigger battery and it turned off immediately. I like it for tourney's that you can't use your cell phone, but otherwise I just use the FreeCaddie application (for Androids).

Now I'm sick of getting the Front, Middle, and Back and looking at just getting a laser rangefinder.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1385994130' post='8236266']
Just a reminder too that - IIRC - the basic mode course information will continue to work, and all of that comes preloaded on the unit. Definitely would recommend loading up all the Pro Mode courses that you can though.
[/quote]

I don't know about the newer versions, but the original uPro has no courses preloaded, basic or pro; it all needs to be downloaded.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1386022558' post='8238698']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1385994130' post='8236266']
[/quote]

I don't know about the newer versions, but the original uPro has no courses preloaded, basic or pro; it all needs to be downloaded.
[/quote]

The MX/+ comes preloaded with all of the courses (30,000 or so) in basic mode.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1384723122' post='8163072']

It was at least 5 years ago already, maybe more, I really questioned Cally's decisions to be [b]part of nearly every available segment of the golf market[/b].

They had reading glasses and watches and rangefinders and GPS and luggage and.....on and on and on... another manufacturer spreading themselves [i]waaaaay [/i]too thin.

[/quote]

PING & golf balls.

[/quote]

Not sure what the reference is meant to say. But I work in tech and can tell you that [b]IT and media-product failures[/b] [b]are not reflections of bad consumer judgement[/b].

The SONY Beta was a BETTER platform than VHS. But it failed to win. Was the video enthusiast of that time, who wanted the BEST, some kind of dumby? No.

[b]I don't know anyone that expected mobile apps to become so ubiquitous, so quickly, and so cheaply.[/b] What a game changer that!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1384728973' post='8163548']
I've been a supporter of this unit since the first day it came out. It really had a chance to be something that you just couldnt find in another unit. No fees. Fairly easy website to use once they got through the hiccups. Excellent form factor - I mean you compare the size of this thing to a SkyCaddie unit - its crazy.

Unfortunately Callaway stepped all over themselves and shutting it down is probably the best thing they could do. To me I think the Garmin G6 is probably the closest thing right now. But [b]I will probably just load this up with courses and use it until it dies at this point.[/b]
[/quote]I figure the same thing. I went to download a course today and got the skinny:
- - - -
As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the [url="http://www.callawayuxplore.com/"]www.callawayuxplore.com[/url] website will be shut down after 12/31/2014.

Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices.

More FAQ for your device:
• Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable.
• No new course updates will be processed.
• The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

For questions and more information on these updates, contact our support center at: [url="http://www.callawayuxplore.com/support"]www.callawayuxplore.com/support[/url]

Thank you for using upro and supporting Callaway Golf!
- - - -

Doesn't surprise me terribly, it seems to me that Callaway were over their head when they bought out the company that developed the uPro. The software/website are just too quirky and they didn't fix it all, at least not adequately. It took me over an hour to sync today and using the freshly downloaded and installed uPro Finder application on a PC running Windows XP. No excuse for never having fixed the sync issues.

Anyway, what bothers me at the moment is that in the blurb above they say (evidently, the English is anything but clear on it) that they will stop supporting the shot tracking feature. Now, I believe they are referring to the ability to determine the distance your uPro is from when you turned it on (i.e. from where you hit your last shot, is what it was designed to do). I figure that Callaway has to pay for the satellite usage necessary to support that feature and they are just shutting down support for it. I think that sucks. Maybe if enough people complain they'll maintain support.

[/quote]Yes, they acquired the company that developed the uPro. And IMO they weren't up to supporting it, either from the get go or subsequently. It took me almost two hours today to get my uPro to sync and finally choose some courses once I saw that they are shutting down downloads in a year. The syncing and website are difficult to say the least. You need the persistence of a bull dog to slog through to the end. The site says they shut down shot tracking, say it isn't so. Last time I used my uPro (almost a month ago) shot tracking was working. I suppose they mean after 12/31/2014.

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1386927448' post='8293491']
Maybe if enough people complain they'll maintain support.
[/quote]

I'm guessing if there weren't enough people to justify selling the product there won't be enough to support it.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Not shocked by this decision. The last time I synch up my upro was almost a year ago and I have major problems synching up now that I just don't anymore. Guess I'll try it again within the end of next year to have as many courses as possible and hope that it does connect somehow.
I still have the original upro, using basic mode and really like it. What I can't understand for the life of me is why synching up to your PC problems/difficulties were never solved... Callaway must have hired the WORST software developing company on the planet...
So, just continue to use it until it craps out. Got my cellphone (in case of emergency, for very minor use for when I'm playing for distances), got my bushnell V2, may get a low end basic gps in the distant future... Was and still IS a good product though!

[quote name='alfie' timestamp='1386950073' post='8294541']
Not shocked by this decision.[b] The last time I synch up my upro was almost a year ago and I have major problems synching up now that I just don't anymore.[/b] Guess I'll try it again within the end of next year to have as many courses as possible and hope that it does connect somehow.
I still have the original upro, using basic mode and really like it. What I can't understand for the life of me is why synching up to your PC problems/difficulties were never solved... Callaway must have hired the WORST software developing company on the planet...
So, just continue to use it until it craps out. Got my cellphone (in case of emergency, for very minor use for when I'm playing for distances), got my[b] bushnell V2[/b], may get a low end basic gps in the distant future... Was and still IS a good product though!
[/quote]I have found the uProfinder.exe application to work. Not all the time, I had issues for an hour or so the other night, but once it worked, it worked reliably, YMMV. There's help material on the left side of the uExplore page you can comb through too.

I looked at the Bushnell V2 around 3 months ago, my partner was using one and what she told me was impressive. I bought a Leupold GX-3i instead. Now I carry both, the rangefinder and the uPro, which I like for the shot tracking feature and still use the basic view quite a bit when I don't want to bother using the rangefinder (it's way more work than using the uPro, but it's nowhere near as accurate). I hope that the shot tracking will continue to work, but the notice at the website declares that it does not. I'll see today, I'm playing a round, first in almost a month, maybe the last until April or May.

Gents,

I bought an original Upro 4 years ago but mine just broke last year. I had unlimited pro-mode downloads because I bought course downloads when they first were selling them. If I buy a used upro (the original one) will I get free downloads on pro version or does it cost money?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1387662765' post='8332759']
Gents,

I bought an original Upro 4 years ago but mine just broke last year. I had unlimited pro-mode downloads because I bought course downloads when they first were selling them. If I buy a used upro (the original one) will I get free downloads on pro version or does it cost money?
[/quote]

I wouldn't buy a used one as it will be registered to the prior user by serial #. That happened to me when I bought my first uPro and it turned out to be a store return, already registered, and the store hadn't reset the registration with Callaway. I had to return it to the store and they gave me a virgin one.

When my upro died a few months ago, I bought a new upro MX+ not long ago on eBay for a very good price. It has thousands of basic mode and unlimited pro downloads. But if I had known that they were discontinuing I would have gone to another brand. That is what I would suggest to you. Why buy something that will be obsolete for support before the warranty even ends?

Saw new MX+ on ebay tonight for 68 bucks.

I'm another golf guru owner, after 5 years replaced the battery once last year. gps works great. Fortunately download my 40 popular courses before they exited the marketplace. Based on reviews I'm favoring the garmin g6 in the future if my guru ever fails, as I have a garmin car nuvi 52 lifetime map.