2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Shutting Down Upro 12/31/2014 (Merged)

M23

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that think we were short sighted in buying an MX your frame of referene is short. I did my research at the time and was looking to avoid annual fees. Skycaddie was the only real option then for accuracy and one thought that being backed by callaway we'd be okay. until recenly I've not have a problem and traveled to hawaii. philippines mexico in addn to where I live. more important is what I'm going to spend my money on to live.

no body really bought Zune products and Beta max had superior quality to vhs at the time but lost to decrease recording time. you youngings are so innocent.

All in all I would say that I got more than my money's worth out of this unit. I'm not saying I expect electronics to be disposable items these days but I paid $120 for it in @ June of 2012 so by the time I get fully done with it I'd say I would still have been happy with my purchase.

Still have/use a laser and am going to test out a Garmin S3 I bought. If nothing new really comes out in the next 6-8 weeks after the PGA show and I dont like the watch, the G6 will be next on my list.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I liked the interface of the original uPro better, but got an ok deal on the MX+ last summer when my original finally died. So I've had my money's worth though I'm disappointed at the change coming.

I bit the bullet this week and bought a rangefinder and will likely try taking both, at least for unfamiliar courses, to speed up quick distances to bunkers etc. without the rangefinder. Or blind shots. If I find a GPS is worthwhile to carry too, I'd probably upgrade that next year.

For rangefinder I considered the Callaway Xhot pro (pricepoint partly) but went with the Bushnell Z3 Tour. My local GolfTown was not carrying the the Callaway models (though available on line). Seeing some discounts on the Callaway rangefinders on-line, and the manager says unlikely to find them in GolfTown stores now, so is the writing on the wall for those too?

Certainly I prefer not to buy a brand that the store I would deal with for warranty issues isn't carrying it.

I've been carrying both my uPro and my new Leupold GX-3i rangefinder since I got it almost 3 months ago, mid-October 2013. I generally put the rangefinder in its case, which I have attached to my pull cart. Have the uPro either velcroed to the pull cart or slipped in a pants pocket (I love those military style pants that have tons of pockets). Sometimes I have the rangefinder in the left mid-level pocket and the uPro in the right one. I don't notice them when I'm hitting or just walking. The rangefinder's more work to use (you have to stop what you're doing and have both hands on the unit, press a button, focus on your target, get a reading. The uPro's much quicker and I can use it one-handed while walking to get distances front/middle/back of the green, or get my distance from where I hit my current shot, the other thing I do with it pretty regularly. The rangefinder's nice if I want a precise distance to a flag, something the uPro just can't do, couldn't do even if it were always accurate (which it is not). As long as the uPro keeps doing those things, it will be useful to me.

I don't see why the lack of "support" for the uPro is an issue as long as you have downloaded the courses you might play in the future. Naturally, there will be courses at some point beyond 12/31/2014 that you will play that you haven't downloaded and you won't be able to use the uPro on them. That would seem to be the only issue, or am I wrong there?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad I never updated my uPro to the mx or mx+.

[quote]As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the [url="https://e.callawaygolf.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGl75cUu2kDzazerzgulh8zazdPJYJp6tzcfNAazgnVXtpKX%3DSBDURW&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWPpFidVb-2MtEnLoTihPDufjZrjEO_uzmuVtnQFcuvSmI9oBlqE0UWyXX_2o-GK5CTP7yYDRc4sdJQBxf6GpKIYdxcAorcuEn8DpAw_wozeUSFCvhIeo0."]www.callawayuxplore.com[/url] website will be shut down after 12/31/2014.

Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices.

More FAQ for your device:

• Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable.
• No new course updates will be processed.
• The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

For questions and more information on these updates, contact our support center at: [url="https://e.callawaygolf.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGl75cUu2kDzazerzgulh8zazdPJYJp6tzcfNAazgnVXtpKX%3DSBDURS&_ei_=EolaGGF4SNMvxFF7KucKuWPpFidVb-2MtEnLoTihPDufjZrjEO_uzmuVtnQFcuvSmI9oBlqE0UWyXX_2o-GK5CTP7yYDRc4sdJQBxf6GpKIYdxcAorcuEn8DpAw_wozeUSFCvhIeo0."]www.callawayuxplore.com/support[/url].

Thank you for using upro and supporting Callaway Golf![/quote]

For what I paid it was a great choice. I'll be able to continue to use it and I will load up on downloads before 12/31.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='fred9' timestamp='1391646224' post='8606467']
I've been happy with my uProMX and I think we expected this for about a year. I don't use Promode so I'm thinking this is no change for me unless I play a course recently built or one recently modifed. Right?
[/quote]

Correct, but, for people like myself, people that waited years for a course update and never got one, this sucks.

i offered a vendor at a golf show 50 bucks for a upro mx, he said 100 as that is what he had in it. i told him its useless at the end of the year as callaway is discontinuing support. he said he didnt care and wasnt taking a loss on it, said 100. i said see you later, enjoy your 100 dollar paper weight.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

"We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro..."

Yeah? The thing only holds 10 courses. Too bad they can't make downloads to our computers available. After all, a lot of us did PAY for the ProMode courses. I hope someone like TM or Nike buys them out and makes it an even better product. I really like mine for the available ProMode courses, but Callaway never added any of the courses I requested. Otherwise, I'll probably get the new Garmin. No annual subscription. I have a laser too.

[quote name='DavidO' timestamp='1391735990' post='8612837']

Yeah? [b]The thing only holds 10 courses.[/b] Too bad they can't make downloads to our computers available. After all, a lot of us did PAY for the ProMode courses. I hope someone like TM or Nike buys them out and makes it an even better product. I really like mine for the available ProMode courses, but Callaway never added any of the courses I requested. Otherwise, I'll probably get the new Garmin. No annual subscription. I have a laser too.
[/quote]
Only 10 courses?? I switched from the upro to the MX+ last summer and I'm sure I've always had more than 10 on either one.

I've got 22 courses in Pro Mode on it now with over 800 megs of space free even with the preloaded basic ones on the MX+. (That shows in my upro account on-line.)

If you have no space with only 10 courses something is wrong in my opinion, though I don't know the difference in storage between the two models. Maybe it might be worthwhile to call customer service while they are still operating and maybe it's a reset to factory and installing all again?

I know when I tried to do a map update on a Garmin vehicle GPS I ran out of space even with a SIM. Their customer service walked me through deleting a ton of extraneous stuff and no probs since, and for later updates.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391737949' post='8613081']

Yeah? [b]The thing only holds 10 courses.[/b] Too bad they can't make downloads to our computers available. After all, a lot of us did PAY for the ProMode courses. I hope someone like TM or Nike buys them out and makes it an even better product. I really like mine for the available ProMode courses, but Callaway never added any of the courses I requested. Otherwise, I'll probably get the new Garmin. No annual subscription. I have a laser too.
[/quote]
Only 10 courses?? I switched from the upro to the MX+ last summer and I'm sure I've always had more than 10 on either one.

I've got 22 courses in Pro Mode on it now with over 800 megs of space free even with the preloaded basic ones on the MX+. (That shows in my upro account on-line.)

If you have no space with only 10 courses something is wrong in my opinion, though I don't know the difference in storage between the two models. Maybe it might be worthwhile to call customer service while they are still operating and maybe it's a reset to factory and installing all again?

I know when I tried to do a map update on a Garmin vehicle GPS I ran out of space even with a SIM. Their customer service walked me through deleting a ton of extraneous stuff and no probs since, and for later updates.
[/quote]

Mine is one of the first original UPros. Purchased before Callaway bought them. It only holds 10 courses.

Oh well. On to something new.

Yeah? The thing only holds 10 courses. Too bad they can't make downloads to our computers available. After all, a lot of us did PAY for the ProMode courses. I hope someone like TM or Nike buys them out and makes it an even better product. I really like mine for the available ProMode courses, but Callaway never added any of the courses I requested. Otherwise, I'll probably get the new Garmin. No annual subscription. I have a laser too.
[/quote]
It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that if people request to have the courses packed in a simple updater format and download a simple updater app that they would do it. If they still have some sort of resource available to handle the code, there is always a chance. Worth calling and at least suggesting. That was my plan, just haven't gotten around to it.

I just have the one complimentary Pro Mode course downloaded (my home course) on my uPro. Have downloaded around 25 Basic Mode courses in my region (SF Bay Area). So, I have until 12/31 to download Basic Mode info for any course I think I might want to play? I presume if I want more Pro Mode for any more courses I still need to pay for a batch. Certain $ amounts to download 5, 10, 50 something like that, right?

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1391776137' post='8614943']
I just have the one complimentary Pro Mode course downloaded (my home course) on my uPro. Have downloaded around 25 Basic Mode courses in my region (SF Bay Area). So, I have until 12/31 to download Basic Mode info for any course I think I might want to play? I presume if I want more Pro Mode for any more courses I still need to pay for a batch. Certain $ amounts to download 5, 10, 50 something like that, right?
[/quote]

I upgraded to unlimited Pro downloads on my upro a couple of years ago (rolling over credits) and I don't see the pricing on their so site now, (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place), so maybe call them.

However if you still want to throw [u]any[/u] more dollars at a Callaway one, I'd suggest getting the Mx+ that you can probably get for 60 bucks or so now. A newer model and you get thousands of basic mode and you can add 50 Pro on the device if you want for free. Just make sure it's new in the box, as if it's been registered under that ser # to someone else you are hooped for downloads.

I will say got an mX+ last summer but I don't like the interface as much as the original. I'm actually going to laser as my prime tool. I may get a GPS watch down the road if I decide I want to include that convenience for hazards and blind shots at least on strange courses.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391780251' post='8615189']
[/quote]

I upgraded to unlimited Pro downloads on my upro a couple of years ago (rolling over credits) and I don't see the pricing on their so site now, (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place), so maybe call them.

However if you still want to throw any more dollars at a Callaway one, I'd suggest getting the Mx+ that you can probably get for 60 bucks or so now. A newer model and you get thousands of basic mode and you can add 50 Pro on the device if you want for free. Just make sure it's new in the box, as if it's been registered under that ser # to someone else you are hooped for downloads.

I will say got an mX+ last summer but I don't like the interface as much as the original. I'm actually going to laser as my prime tool. I may get a GPS watch down the road if I decide I want to include that convenience for hazards and blind shots at least on strange courses.
[/quote]You are saying if an Mx+ has been registered I can still do the 50 free pro mode downloads? Or it has to be NIB?

I'm OK with the uPro 1, I did some research on the +. Free pro mode downloads is a reason to upgrade, though.

I have a laser, I bought it over the summer. I carry it and my uPro, but I reach for the uPro much more often. It's so easy to just press a button and have F/C/B of green distances. If I want to know the distance to the flag exactly, I reach for the laser. But it comes out of its carrying case not nearly as easily as I can snatch the uPro from my pull cart (I have it velcroed on). I often just slip the uPro in my pants pocket (I play with military style pants with pockets just above the knees that are perfect for that). I played a couple of days ago on my home course and probably reached for the laser 3-4 times max, but the uPro at least a dozen times. If I had to play with just one it would be the uPro, easy choice.

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1391785379' post='8615587']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391780251' post='8615189']
[/quote]

However if you still want to throw any more dollars at a Callaway one, I'd suggest getting the Mx+ that you can probably get for 60 bucks or so now. A newer model and you get thousands of basic mode and you can add 50 Pro on the device if you want for free. Just make sure it's new in the box, as if it's been registered under that ser # to someone else you are hooped for downloads.

[/quote]Y[b]ou are saying if an Mx+ has been registered I can still do the 50 free pro mode downloads? Or it has to be NIB?[/b]

I'm OK with the uPro 1, I did some research on the +. Free pro mode downloads is a reason to upgrade, though.

I have a laser, I bought it over the summer. I carry it and my uPro, but I reach for the uPro much more often. It's so easy to just press a button and have F/C/B of green distances. If I want to know the distance to the flag exactly, I reach for the laser. But it comes out of its carrying case not nearly as easily as I can snatch the uPro from my pull cart (I have it velcroed on). I played a couple of days ago on my home course and probably reached for the laser 3-4 times max, but the uPro at least a dozen times.
[/quote]

[b]My understanding is if it's been registered, it's already linked to another user so you [u]can't[/u] use the interface. [/b]But again, phone Callaway direct for the official answer. The first upro I bought was obviously a return as I had that issue- the store had neglected to call Callaway to clear the ser# as registered to the user from their database. After calling Callaway, I had to take it back to the store and get a NIB.

Yes, I'll still probably keep my MX+ on for a while while I try the laser (I have a mount on my cart so I don't even need to pull it out). If I do end up using both GPS and laser [u]down the road [/u]I'd go with a watch I think.

[quote name='DavidO' timestamp='1391749720' post='8614345']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391737949' post='8613081']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mine is one of the first original UPros. Purchased before Callaway bought them. It only holds 10 courses.

Oh well. On to something new.
[/quote]

I have the UPro mx+ and the original UPro also from before the Callaway take over. My original UPro holds more than 10 courses. I had all my local courses on it and many courses from myrtle beach. My son has it now and it is still going strong.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

OK. I emailed Callaway about saving courses to my hard drive. You can load coursed on your Upro, then download them to your computer. Then load more, download them, etc. It takes a bit of effort, but you can establish your own course library so you have it when they shut the site down at the end of this year. Here is the response. Hope this helps.

With your uPro GPS you can copy the courses off the device and store them on the computer. Follow the steps below:

1. Ensure the uPro is powered on and says ?Play Golf?
2. Plug the uPro directly into the computer (a USB port on the back of your computer is best; choose Connect to PC if this is an option) 3. If you do not see an Auto Play window appear after approximately one minute, open My Computer. If you do see an autoplay window, select Open Folder to View Files, then go to step 6.
4. You should see the uPro listed as a ?Device with Removable Storage?
5. Double click the uPro icon.
6. Double Click on the Course_Data Folder.
7. Hold CTRL on your keyboard, and tap the letter A (all items will highlight).
8. Hold CTRL on your keyboard and tap the C button (This will copy it).
9. Right click the desktop on the computer and select new then folder.
10. Name the folder uPRo Courses.
11. Open uPro Courses and hold CTRL, and tap the letter V; this will paste the files into the uPro Courses folder.

To add courses from the computer onto the device:
1. Do steps 1-6 the same.
2. Open the uPro Courses on your desktop.
3. Find the course that you want on your device and click once on it (this will highlight it).
4. Hold CTRL on your keyboard and tap the C button (This will copy it).
5. Go back to the uPro drive in the Course_Data file.
6. Hold CTRL on the keyboard and tap the letter V; this will paste the file into the uPro Courses folder.

*Some rules about copying the files to the computer:
1. The number that is the name for each file in the Course_Data folder is the numerical identification number on the website. If you take that number and put it in the course search bar on the website it will tell you the name of the course.
2. You can change the name of each file in the Course_Data folder by right clicking on each file and selecting rename. This will allow you to keep better track of each course. Once the name has been changed, if you put in on the device, the next time you sync the device to the website it will take that course off your device. So you will need to put it back on when you are done. Once the website has been shut down you will not need to worry about this problem.

^^^ Thanks, David for sharing this. [b]Unfortunately it didn't work for me, on a Mac, for my uPro MX +. If anyone with that setup has a work around, please do share![/b]

All the data files are hidden apparently, despite my best efforts to show hidden files in Finder. In fact, my Mac only shows the whole unit as about 37 megs of space, though when I log into my Callaway account it notes I have 800+ megs of free space.

I can see a few files, the autorun, Callaway logo, etc. but no data. I suspect it probably is a deeply hidden partition for the data? (Similar to some PC's laptops have/used to have for a hidden Restore partition. It just showed as used space on the hard drive.) Makes sense actually- what stops someone just burning the data to a USB key and copying it to another unit? Not really a biggy perhaps with the MX+ with free Pro downloads, but one for the original uPro since I think one still has to pay for downloads?

Ah well, to restate Clint Eastwood on TV yesterday when he talked about saving the guy with the Heimlich Maneuver, "if he goes, he goes".

[quote name='DavidO' timestamp='1391911628' post='8626559']
OK. I emailed Callaway about saving courses to my hard drive. You can load coursed on your Upro, then download them to your computer. Then load more, download them, etc. It takes a bit of effort, but you can establish your own course library so you have it when they shut the site down at the end of this year. Here is the response. Hope this helps.

With your uPro GPS you can copy the courses off the device and store them on the computer. Follow the steps below:

2. Plug the uPro directly into the computer (a USB port on the back of your computer is best; choose Connect to PC if this is an option) 3. If you do not see an Auto Play window appear after approximately one minute, open My Computer. If you do see an autoplay window, select Open Folder to View Files, then go to step 6.
11. Open uPro Courses and hold CTRL, and tap the letter V; this will paste the files into the uPro Courses folder.

3. Find the course that you want on your device and click once on it (this will highlight it).
6. Hold CTRL on the keyboard and tap the letter V; this will paste the file into the uPro Courses folder.

1. The number that is the name for each file in the Course_Data folder is the numerical identification number on the website. If you take that number and put it in the course search bar on the website it will tell you the name of the course.
2. You can change the name of each file in the Course_Data folder by right clicking on each file and selecting rename. This will allow you to keep better track of each course. Once the name has been changed, if you put in on the device, the next time you sync the device to the website it will take that course off your device. So you will need to put it back on when you are done. Once the website has been shut down you will not need to worry about this problem.
[/quote]

Great post. Thank you.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

[quote name='DavidO' timestamp='1391911628' post='8626559']

[/quote]

Thanks for this post. I'm printing it out so I can do this later. Might try to store them to an external drive rather than my PC for easier sharing with a few others that I know have uPro models.

As to the person with the original uPro, I ran into the 10 course issue and asked C-way to exchange for another unit from them. They did, and the C-way branded unit holds 50 courses. The issue apparently is that the original units came with limited storage and processing. The C-way units still have the limitation, it's just more. I also have a UproMX+, so between the two I'll just make sure I have the 100 top courses for me and hope that anything else can be covered in regular mode with the built-in library on the MX+.

I've had syncing issues, but in no way do I think Callaway has "screwed" me. Sure, I wish they'd continue supporting it. However, this is a money-loser. While I enjoy it for it's no annual fee value, that value comes at a price of lack of longevity. What they're doing is far better than having an annual-fee unit that simply doesn't work if you don't pay the annual fee.

At any rate, I'll be looking at a Garmin. More for it's waterproof ability than anything. In my 100 faves, I'll still be gaming the uPro or MX+ because they're light, easy, accurate and paid for.

So, has anything changed concerning downloading courses? Pro Mode and/or Basic? I downloaded my one alloted freebie when I registered my uPro in January 2011. So, I have only one Pro Mode on the unit, around 20 or so Basic Mode courses. Is the pricing the same now as it was 2 years ago to download Pro Mode courses? What is the limit? The posts above suggest that maybe there's no practical limit if you can store them outside the uPro, i.e. on hard drives. Thanks for any info.

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1392350152' post='8664853']
So, has anything changed concerning downloading courses? Pro Mode and/or Basic? I downloaded my one alloted freebie when I registered my uPro in January 2011. So, I have only one Pro Mode on the unit, around 20 or so Basic Mode courses. Is the pricing the same now as it was 2 years ago to download Pro Mode courses? What is the limit? The posts above suggest that maybe there's no practical limit if you can store them outside the uPro, i.e. on hard drives. Thanks for any info.
[/quote]

You should just log on to the site and see if it lets you download more courses. I think it will.

[quote name='DavidO' timestamp='1392391210' post='8666827']
[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1392350152' post='8664853']
[/quote]

You should just log on to the site and see if it lets you download more courses. I think it will.
[/quote]Has the [b]courses-for-cash[/b] system changed, i.e. pricing?

[quote name='LOVE4LPGA' timestamp='1386189709' post='8248619']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384548831' post='8154752']
People who bought these probably bought Dune mp3 players too

[/quote]

Not sure what the reference is meant to say. But I work in tech and can tell you that [b]IT and media-product failures[/b] [b]are not reflections of bad consumer judgement[/b].

The SONY Beta was a BETTER platform than VHS. But it failed to win. Was the video enthusiast of that time, who wanted the BEST, some kind of dumby? No.

[b]I don't know anyone that expected mobile apps to become so ubiquitous, so quickly, and so cheaply.[/b] What a game changer that!
[/quote]

Remember, Garmin made a phone...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.