Callaway Shutting Down Upro 12/31/2014 (Merged)

M23

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1393974669' post='8798531']
[quote name='Kace' timestamp='1393902613' post='8792335']
[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1393872531' post='8788430']
You guys with a Mac: The course data is on the microSD card. Maybe you have to do something to see that.
[/quote]

I posted the screen shot above, it's Windows 7. The uPro MX+ doesn't have an SD card. As mentioned, one of us will probably have to call Callaway to see if we have any options.
[/quote]You can't see anything in the client_install folder?

Speaking of SD cards, I ordered a 2GB microSD card. The uPro comes with a 1GB microSD card installed. I tried my 8GB microSDHC card but the uPro would not format it. I think it will probably format a 2GB microSD card. I'll report back here my experience.
[/quote]

I tried a 2GB but never got it to work. Spent time with a Cally tech rep online trying to do it via workaround - still no dice. The advice given - store up to 50 courses per card and swap cards. That might work with the top 100 courses I'm likely to play, but I can do the same thing by just loading 50 on my OG uPro and 50 on my uProMX+. Actually, I'll probably load my most frequently played 10-15 locals on both and then use the remaining 70-80 for courses I play less frequently and would like to play. Anything not making either will hopefully be on the basic mode courses on the MX+.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1394049217' post='8804755']
You guys with a Mac: The course data is on the microSD card. Maybe you have to do something to see that.
[/quote]

I posted the screen shot above, it's Windows 7. The uPro MX+ doesn't have an SD card. As mentioned, one of us will probably have to call Callaway to see if we have any options.

Speaking of SD cards, I ordered a 2GB microSD card. The uPro comes with a 1GB microSD card installed. I tried my 8GB microSDHC card but the uPro would not format it. I think it will probably format a 2GB microSD card. I'll report back here my experience.
[/quote]

I tried a 2GB but never got it to work. Spent time with a Cally tech rep online trying to do it via workaround - still no dice. The advice given - store up to 50 courses per card and swap cards. That might work with the top 100 courses I'm likely to play, but I can do the same thing by just loading 50 on my OG uPro and 50 on my uProMX+. Actually, I'll probably load my most frequently played 10-15 locals on both and then use the remaining 70-80 for courses I play less frequently and would like to play. Anything not making either will hopefully be on the basic mode courses on the MX+.
[/quote][b]I have got it to work with a 2GB microSD card.[/b] I received in the mail yesterday a 1GB microSD card from Callaway and a 2GB Sandisk microSD card through Amazon. First I formatted the 1GB in accordance with Callaway's instructions and saw it had the course_data folder along with the system folder. I swapped out that card with the 2GB card and did likewise. I then inserted the 1GB again and copied all the necessary files and folders from the uproextract.zip file downloadable from www.tinyurl.com/uprogps. Then I did that with the 2GB card. I connected the uPro to the uxplore site with the 2GB card still installed and added a couple of my local courses' Pro downloads, synced, shut down and restarted, and the courses are there and ready to play, It obviously works. This did not work using an 8GB microSDHC card, but I have to think a microSD card will work. However, AFAIK, the largest SD cards are 2GB. I'm thinking of downloading a ton of Basic Mode courses because it will take a lot less time than Pro Mode courses. Courses I think I have a fair chance of playing I'll download the Pro Mode courses. Ones I think are less likely, but maybe who knows courses, maybe just Basic Mode to save time.

The CSR I talked to today (Nancy) said that 2GB cards usually don't work. Well, this one worked for me.

Some thoughts: One of the Callaway CSR's said that the uPro will work with more than 50 courses installed, but if you sync like that there's trouble, evidently. Thinking ahead to 2015, I think you could put as many courses as would fit on a card. Plus, you could rename the folders whatever you want instead of those weird long integer IDs they have. You shouldn't have the difficulty of slowness in downloads that you have now in writing to the cards when they are inserted in the uPro if you copy to the card from your storage device with the card in a card reader or adapter instead of in the uPro. When it's in the uPro the data transfer rate is abysmal. In an adapter it should be relatively snappy, I'd think.

Edit: I am copying 38 Pro Mode courses right now from a HD to the 2GB microSD card connected to my PC by an adapter and card reader and the process is easily 10 times faster than syncing and downloading from the uPro website directly to the uPro. The data is about 670MB and copying it took less than 10 minutes. A sync for all that course data would probably have taken over 2 hours, maybe much more.

You guys had me worried about getting my uPro MX+ loaded up with courses, but I just did it, and it was a snap. I use a MacBookPro and a pretty good connection, and had 18 pro courses already loaded. I went on the Callaway site and added 17 more Pro courses I might play sometime and a couple we are going to hit on a N. Mich. trip this summer, plus I added 4 more states to the Basic mode and the whole thing sync'd up in about 15-20 min.

I logged out, disconnected, and reconnected just to check it out and the courses were all loaded. Pretty slick, really. I still have about half the memory left. I can add another 15 Pro courses if I can figure which ones they might be. Right now, I have everything around me and the ones in the places I travel to.

I have to say I'm pretty happy with how it the site worked for me.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

I bought an MX Pro+ off Amazon NIB for like $60, it's been great companion to my laser and SG5, nice to carry in pocket. I don't track shots and all that stuff, so I'll just download my 50 favorite courses and be happy at the $60 well spent.

Technology keeps advancing so they'll be something new all the time.

I can't blame Cally, that idgit CEO they dumped bought uPro in the first place. At least new guy sticks with what good at, building great golf clubs.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1394132111' post='8812633']
[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1394049217' post='8804755']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][b]I have got it to work with a 2GB microSD card.[/b] I received in the mail yesterday a 1GB microSD card from Callaway and a 2GB Sandisk microSD card through Amazon. First I formatted the 1GB in accordance with Callaway's instructions and saw it had the course_data folder along with the system folder. I swapped out that card with the 2GB card and did likewise. I then inserted the 1GB again and copied all the necessary files and folders from the uproextract.zip file downloadable from www.tinyurl.com/uprogps. Then I did that with the 2GB card. I connected the uPro to the uxplore site with the 2GB card still installed and added a couple of my local courses' Pro downloads, synced, shut down and restarted, and the courses are there and ready to play, It obviously works. This did not work using an 8GB microSDHC card, but I have to think a microSD card will work. However, AFAIK, the largest SD cards are 2GB. I'm thinking of downloading a ton of Basic Mode courses because it will take a lot less time than Pro Mode courses. Courses I think I have a fair chance of playing I'll download the Pro Mode courses. Ones I think are less likely, but maybe who knows courses, maybe just Basic Mode to save time.

The CSR I talked to today (Nancy) said that 2GB cards usually don't work. Well, this one worked for me.

Some thoughts: One of the Callaway CSR's said that the uPro will work with more than 50 courses installed, but if you sync like that there's trouble, evidently. Thinking ahead to 2015, I think you could put as many courses as would fit on a card. Plus, you could rename the folders whatever you want instead of those weird long integer IDs they have. You shouldn't have the difficulty of slowness in downloads that you have now in writing to the cards when they are inserted in the uPro if you copy to the card from your storage device with the card in a card reader or adapter instead of in the uPro. When it's in the uPro the data transfer rate is abysmal. In an adapter it should be relatively snappy, I'd think.

Edit: I am copying 38 Pro Mode courses right now from a HD to the 2GB microSD card connected to my PC by an adapter and card reader and the process is easily 10 times faster than syncing and downloading from the uPro website directly to the uPro. The data is about 670MB and copying it took less than 10 minutes. A sync for all that course data would probably have taken over 2 hours, maybe much more.
[/quote]

Great for you. Mine just won't work with the 2GB cards. I have the original and an MX though so I'll end up with the 90 PM courses I regularly or am most likely to play. Quite frankly, I thought Cally should have stopped with the hardware and just created an app that could do this via smartphone and just have the one-time course access fee. Seems like it would have been easier to do, but I'm not technical enough to know if it is or isn't. They could then have included access as a bonus for buying a full set of clubs. Missed opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To those of you that are saving courses off the uPro, do any of you have the uPro MX+? When I plug my uPro MX+ in via USB and open it's folder there aren't any courses listed. Here's what I see...

j28gCGG.jpg

For those of you with the MX+, who are hoping to be able to store courses off of the MX+ onto your personal computers... I called and e-mailed Callaway Tech support with that hope/request. Unfortunately, I just received an e-mail from tech support stating "We apologize but there will not be a way to store courses on your computer for the MX+. The way courses are loaded onto the device is vastly different..." They went on to say that with the MX+ you do have the 20,000 basic courses, which will still work with the satellites. There was also no indication that they are even thinking about trying to work around the hidden file issue.... bummer.

Lastly, I have seen posts about numerous individuals copying as many files as they can while the UPro site is still up...

Any of you computer techno savvy individuals consider setting up an FTP site to collectively store all these courses to share?

There may some legalities while the Callaway UPro site is still active, but it could be a great way to store and share courses.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384729010' post='8163550']
[quote name='jerryo' timestamp='1384728516' post='8163508']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384548831' post='8154752']
People who bought these probably bought Dune mp3 players too
[/quote]
Please enlighten the Upro buyers on what they should have purchased instead.
[/quote]

Skycaddie
Golfbuddy
Garmin

Companies whose main focus is golf GPS or in the case of Garmin gps devices in general.
[/quote]
Some of us bought Upros when they weren't part of Callaway. It was a company whose main focus was golf GPS.

• 4 weeks later...

As I try to figure out how the upro works, I thought it may be helpful for others to pass along information I come across.
Regarding the course numbers that are listed as folders on the upro, to find out the course name, you enter the folder id into the courses search window under the Courses tab. But I found many of my folders did not have a course listed. Here's an example:

One of my folders is named 004710506290020 but when I look that up it comes back as "Muskego Lakes", which must be some kind of default. To find the actual course name, change the 3rd digit from the right from '0' to '1'. That will bring up Druids Glen, which is correct. Also the last two digits represent the version # for that course, so in this case it would be 2.0. Using this technique of changing the 0 to 1, I was able to now know all the courses on my upro.

I think the website from which the Pro Mode courses are downloaded just went to unlimited downloads.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='WAGolfguy' timestamp='1404063140' post='9602151']
As I try to figure out how the upro works, I thought it may be helpful for others to pass along information I come across.
Regarding the course numbers that are listed as folders on the upro, to find out the course name, you enter the folder id into the courses search window under the Courses tab. But I found many of my folders did not have a course listed. Here's an example:

One of my folders is named 004710506290020 but when I look that up it comes back as "Muskego Lakes", which must be some kind of default. To find the actual course name, change the 3rd digit from the right from '0' to '1'. That will bring up Druids Glen, which is correct. Also the last two digits represent the version # for that course, so in this case it would be 2.0. Using this technique of changing the 0 to 1, I was able to now know all the courses on my upro.
[/quote]

A few more tidbits: 1)The 4th digit from the right indicates the number of the course at the location. So if there are three courses, they would be listed as 0,1, and 2. You can check this by doing a search by number on the courses tab, then change that digit for a location you know.

I've been taking the micro SD card and loading it in a holder, then copying the courses over to my hard drive. So today I wanted to see what happened when the website found either additional courses since the last time or fewer.
1) First I removed a course folder, then loaded the micro SD card back in the uPro. No problem.
2) Next I took a course from my hard drive that I had saved before and copied it back over, then resynced. Again, no problems.

So one can use this method to quickly remove or add courses as desired. I take no responsibility if this doesn't work on your device. Before you start, be sure you have a back up of the entire contents of the SD card first, in case you have an issue. Also as a precaution, I always used right click, eject, when removing the SD card and holder from the computer. Of course the upro was off when I took out or re-inserted the card into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say I used the Upro in "basic" mode yesterday and was impressed at how well it worked. the FMB readings were great and if you hit the mode button you could still get the green overhead shot with various distances on there.

Not bad at all. I tried the Garmin G6 and went back to the Upro after one round.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Used mine today. Downloaded a bunch of Pro mode stuff but honestly, I like the Basics ability to move the pin position easily.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a G6 since the Touch release has turned into such a nightmare...Im now thinking about returning it and getting a MX+ to tide me over until the touch actually comes out. What Im wondering about is the used units out there, is it correct that once registered a 2nd owner will NOT have the benefits of the site due to the registration number already being in the system? Has anyone talked to Callaway about this?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

[quote name='go-rebels' timestamp='1413594803' post='10307703']
Can anyone point me to a download site for a Windows 8 driver? I have a new computer and the Callaway download site now tells me "I'm out of bounds" when I try to download a driver.
[/quote]
You probably aren't going to find a straight windows 8 driver, they stopped developing upro a long time ago. Best options are to downgrade to Win 7 (will also cause less headaches in windoze in general) or setup a windows 7 virtual machine. If you don't know how to do the latter, google can help.

[quote name='Smpear' timestamp='1414087292' post='10339499']
Course search is broken...I cannot find a course I am looking for. Even courses I know exist are not found. I am contacting them.
[/quote]

Thanks....I noticed that the other ay when going out on a new course. Look forward to hearing what they say.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1414118688' post='10342205']
[quote name='Smpear' timestamp='1414087292' post='10339499']
Course search is broken...I cannot find a course I am looking for. Even courses I know exist are not found. I am contacting them.
[/quote]

Thanks....I noticed that the other ay when going out on a new course. Look forward to hearing what they say.
[/quote]

I was planning to get my 50 courses on mine today and then the course search wasn't working. I hope this gets resolved soon!

Spoke with them today and they acknowledge it has been down about 1 week. He said it has been escalated to upper management but that they are low on the totem pole. He said it woulf be fixed but not sure when and I do not think he really knew. When I get an email from them I will reply to the board when it is fixed.

[quote name='Smpear' timestamp='1414517832' post='10362899']
Spoke with them today and they acknowledge it has been down about 1 week. He said it has been escalated to upper management but that they are low on the totem pole. He said it woulf be fixed but not sure when and I do not think he really knew. When I get an email from them I will reply to the board when it is fixed.
[/quote]

Yep, the site isn't working. I have attempted to login for 3 days now and get an error message. I also emailed them, but have had no response. Obviously not a priority for Callaway at this point.

I guess continued support and customer service is a risk consumers have to consider when making purchase decisions.

Love my UPro - what is the next best alternative? I was looking at Garmin G8 tonight but the slope feature is non- conforming.

Any rules people, if I turn that off, is it legal? or if it simply has that feature it cannot be used in a tourney?

Thanks!

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Well, I was able to talk to a support person and the site was actually working at the time. He helped me get my login problem resolved and I downloaded and was able to sync up 50 courses. He also sent the instructions for saving more than 50 courses by storing them on my computer's hard drive.

As of now the site is working.