2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Skycaddie Touch

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too got the same email today. However, prior to receiving the email a skycaddie rep called me. I had asked about the expected delivery date when the last email went out and explained to them that I had sold my SG5 with the thought that the Touch would arrive at nearly the same time as the season would start in Ohio and surely prior to my planned golf trip. I never asked for any handouts at all. The rep told me that they would be sending me a SGX unit to use until they could get the Touch out to me and would email me a return shipping label at that time. On top of that he noted my account to receive a 6 month add on to my membership for my time spent without a unit at all. I am as displeased as anyone about the delays, but thought this was top notch on their part and not something I asked for nor expected. So with all the bashing going on (and rightfully so in most regards) I thought I would mention a positive experience that I had today!!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

What do they say. The sqeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes it pays to complain.

Your frustration with the delayed shipping date of the Touch has been noted and taken into account. I have extended your current Double Eagle Membership expiration date to 5/3/2015. The previous expiration date was 11/3/2014. The 6 month membership extension is a courtesy to you for being patient while we continue testing to make sure that the Touch will be up to our customers satisfaction and expectations.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1397126992' post='9060141']
[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1397094368' post='9058323']
Thanks, but now I'm leaning more towards a Garmin Approach G8.
[/quote]

Be on the lookout for the Golfbuddy PT4 also, 4" screen looks pretty awesome...
[/quote]

The Golfbuddy PT4 may find its way into my bag (pocket) this season...

I also hear rumor of an upcoming Garmin watch that has hazards/(entire) hole view/etc. The manager of my local PGA Superstore shared this with me based on what he had been told...FWIW.

[quote name='Howie' timestamp='1397160518' post='9063307']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1397126992' post='9060141']
[quote name='Captain Morgan ' timestamp='1397094368' post='9058323']
Thanks, but now I'm leaning more towards a Garmin Approach G8.
[/quote]

Be on the lookout for the Golfbuddy PT4 also, 4" screen looks pretty awesome...
[/quote]

The Golfbuddy PT4 may find its way into my bag (pocket) this season...

I also hear rumor of an upcoming Garmin watch that has hazards/(entire) hole view/etc. The manager of my local PGA Superstore shared this with me based on what he had been told...FWIW.
[/quote]I would like to see how you fit a full hole view on a watch? Nice rumor.... hahaha

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1397101800' post='9059351']
I too got the same email today. However, prior to receiving the email a skycaddie rep called me. I had asked about the expected delivery date when the last email went out and explained to them that I had sold my SG5 with the thought that the Touch would arrive at nearly the same time as the season would start in Ohio and surely prior to my planned golf trip. I never asked for any handouts at all. The rep told me that they would be sending me a SGX unit to use until they could get the Touch out to me and would email me a return shipping label at that time. On top of that he noted my account to receive a 6 month add on to my membership for my time spent without a unit at all. I am as displeased as anyone about the delays, but thought this was top notch on their part and not something I asked for nor expected. So with all the bashing going on (and rightfully so in most regards) I thought I would mention a positive experience that I had today!!
[/quote]

Hey Dearth - Did they commit to a shipping date ?

There has to be a problem cause got my new TGW catalog and nothing in there about the Touch. Garmin's new device is in there not Skygolf.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Ordered mine through TGW. When I placed the order the ship date given was 2014-05-02. just checked for an update and the date is now pushed back to ship on the 19th. This is now not going to be here in time for the golf trip I have planned. I was going to cancel the order but I received 20% off and free shipping so I guess I will just be patient.

This is rather frustrating that a manufacture can't set and deliver on a release date. My CC has been charged and I have already made the payment. You have your money now give me my product, lol!

[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1397233257' post='9068705']
Ordered mine through TGW. When I placed the order the ship date given was 2014-05-02. just checked for an update and the date is now pushed back to ship on the 19th. This is now not going to be here in time for the golf trip I have planned. I was going to cancel the order but I received 20% off and free shipping so I guess I will just be patient.

This is rather frustrating that a manufacture can't set and deliver on a release date. My CC has been charged and I have already made the payment. You have your money now give me my product, lol!
[/quote]

Yes, it sucks, but trust me, you wouldn't want a buggy device from SkyGolf. I'm sure the thing will have enough frustrating bugs when it is finally shipped, but if they're delaying the launch, there's probably a good reason. Hmmm, maybe they actually learned something from the Healthcare.gov fiasco. :-)

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Kevin01' timestamp='1397219345' post='9067247']
[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1397101800' post='9059351']
[/quote]

Hey Dearth - Did they commit to a shipping date ?
[/quote]

No, the guy was very nice, but he could not commit to anything. He just said what the email said about getting an update in a couple weeks. Doesn't look good for it being here by June though!!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

This is rather frustrating that a manufacture can't set and deliver on a release date. [b]My CC has been charged and I have already made the payment. You have your money now give me my product, lol![/b]
[/quote]

Very shady, most companies that take pre-orders do not charge your card until the order ships. Almost positive they are doing something shady like funding the initial production run with the pre-order money or something to that effect. This mirrors the SGX release to a tee...

I have the SGX. I will order the Touch when it is available.

I think the SGX is not a very good device. It is incredibly slow. The little chiclet buttons don't work very well so I have to keep pushing them extra hard. There are numerous software glitches. They can't even get the stupid little rubber connector cover right. I could go on.

On the other hand, I love many of the features of the SGX and I appreciate the reliability of the distances that it gives.

I seem to remember reading someplace that the SGX is built by Magellan. I think Magellan is a has-been in the GPS world, having lost the battle long-ago to the likes of Garmin and tom-tom. I do hope that the new Touch device is done by a different vendor.

Well, I was hoping for the April availability date. I'll just have to wait.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1397233598' post='9068731']

[/quote]

Yes, it sucks, but trust me, you wouldn't want a buggy device from SkyGolf. I'm sure the thing will have enough frustrating bugs when it is finally shipped, but if they're delaying the launch, there's probably a good reason. Hmmm, maybe they actually learned something from the Healthcare.gov fiasco. :-)
[/quote]

I agree but are most bugs not software related? Seems like when the PS3 was launched there was already an update for it by the time I got home. I didn't have to return it to to the store for a hardware issue. I can't believe they would not properly field test a unit prior to launch. I'm sure there are companies that do so but with a name and reputation on the line we should be getting a solid product even if we are doing some of the initial testing for bugs/glitches.

We will see. I was just frustrated that there was another delay in the shipment beyond what others are reporting. My subscription expires in may and I am excited to be upgrading to the Touch!

[quote name='BCham454' timestamp='1397353137' post='9077091']
What is the difference, between capacitive or pressure sensitive? The add does say glove friendly.
[/quote]

A capacitive screen works by sensing the conductive properties of the object touching the screen. In this case your finger. A glove blocks this, so a capacitive screen will not work while wearing gloves. The screen on the touch is most likely a form of resistive touchscreen, which uses pressure, either from a finger, stylus, it other pointed object.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

This means that the device won't have a touch interface that uses gestures, such as with an iphone or ipad. Not necessarily a problem, depending on how good the screen is and how well thought out the operation is.

I read that the new Golfbuddy has a capacitive touch screen, and is 4”. Potentially, this would make it similar to the iphone.

I don't know why "glove-friendly" is an advantage. The way I use a handheld is to operate the device with my dominant hand and hold it with my other hand, which would be my glove hand.

I have never used a touch device for golf. One of the concerns I would have, whether the screen is capacitive or pressure sensitive, is, how subject is it too accidental touches? With my SGX there is no problem with accidental touches. With my iPhone there is a big problem with accidental touches unless the device is off. My SGX is always on when I am golfing. How would a touch type of device be left on, yet not be subject to accidental touches? Would I have to be constantly locking and unlocking the device? How do touch devices from other manufacturers handle this?

Nobody has mentioned much about the LINX watch. The LINX looks really interesting, to me. I currently use a laser and the SGX. A laser and the LINX might be a really nice combination, depending on the convenience of its operation. The LINX seems to be loaded with great features, far more so than any other watches that I've seen. I really like the idea of a watch, if it gives me all of the information that I need and is convenient to use. What would I be giving up with a laser and the LINX, as opposed to the laser and the Touch?

[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1397515986' post='9091375']
This means that the device won't have a touch interface that uses gestures, such as with an iphone or ipad. Not necessarily a problem, depending on how good the screen is and how well thought out the operation is.

I read that the new Golfbuddy has a capacitive touch screen, and is 4”. Potentially, this would make it similar to the iphone.

I don't know why "glove-friendly" is an advantage. The way I use a handheld is to operate the device with my dominant hand and hold it with my other hand, which would be my glove hand.

I have never used a touch device for golf. One of the concerns I would have, whether the screen is capacitive or pressure sensitive, is, how subject is it too accidental touches? With my SGX there is no problem with accidental touches. With my iPhone there is a big problem with accidental touches unless the device is off. My SGX is always on when I am golfing. How would a touch type of device be left on, yet not be subject to accidental touches? Would I have to be constantly locking and unlocking the device? How do touch devices from other manufacturers handle this?

Nobody has mentioned much about the LINX watch. The LINX looks really interesting, to me. I currently use a laser and the SGX. A laser and the LINX might be a really nice combination, depending on the convenience of its operation. The LINX seems to be loaded with great features, far more so than any other watches that I've seen. I really like the idea of a watch, if it gives me all of the information that I need and is convenient to use. What would I be giving up with a laser and the LINX, as opposed to the laser and the Touch?
[/quote]

I wear my SGXw on a belt clip with the screen facing away from my body, so there's little chance of an accidental touch. On top of that, the screen is set to turn off after a few minutes. I assume the Touch could so into "sleep" mode after a minute or two of inactivity.

The big question is how the zoom function will operate. I really hope it's not the same as the SGX/SGXw, with fixed zoom amounts and locations. I want to be able to center the display on *any* point on the hole, and zoom *any* level. On top of that, most of us are used to pinch-to-zoom functionality. With a resistive screen, that's not an option, meaning that the zoom will likely be a cumbersome combinations of taps.

Right. If the screen is resistive it means a sequence of taps to do a function such as zoom.

These days "Touch"conjures up images of an iPhone, gesture-based capacitive screen. A resistive screen for the Touch seems like an interim step, and raises questions about the user interface - will it be an actual, improved interface, or will it just be a replacement of button pushes with screen taps? It seems as though the Touch is running one design iteration behind Golfbuddy, insofar as screen technology. I'll stick with Skycaddie, but the new Golfbuddy appears to be more iphone-like.

My main concern, knowing how slow my SGX is for certain operations, would be performance. It is so easy for me to get ahead of my SGX, pushing buttons in rapid sequence (and when I overrun the SGX it seems as though sometimes my actions are queued and other times they are lost). For example, I am constantly frustrated, after having entered my score and walked to the next hole, thinking that I have exited the summary statistics screen by pushing the appropriate button, only to find myself staring at the summary statistics screen after I thought that the device - along with me - had moved on to the next hole. With a sequence of touch operations, which is inherently faster than a sequence of buttons, a slow device would be exceedingly frustrating.

The more I think about this, the more the LINX watch appeals to me. Lots of really nice features on my wrist. The question here, as with the Touch, will be the user operations. A slick, well thought out interface, with Skycaddie accuracy and all of the great features, on my wrist, would make a great compliment to a laser.

[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1397608028' post='9100479']
Right. If the screen is resistive it means a sequence of taps to do a function such as zoom.

These days "Touch"conjures up images of an iPhone, gesture-based capacitive screen. A resistive screen for the Touch seems like an interim step, and raises questions about the user interface - will it be an actual, improved interface, or will it just be a replacement of button pushes with screen taps? It seems as though the Touch is running one design iteration behind Golfbuddy, insofar as screen technology. I'll stick with Skycaddie, but the new Golfbuddy appears to be more iphone-like.

My main concern, knowing how slow my SGX is for certain operations, would be performance. It is so easy for me to get ahead of my SGX, pushing buttons in rapid sequence (and when I overrun the SGX it seems as though sometimes my actions are queued and other times they are lost). For example, I am constantly frustrated, after having entered my score and walked to the next hole, thinking that I have exited the summary statistics screen by pushing the appropriate button, only to find myself staring at the summary statistics screen after I thought that the device - along with me - had moved on to the next hole. With a sequence of touch operations, which is inherently faster than a sequence of buttons, a slow device would be exceedingly frustrating.

The more I think about this, the more the LINX watch appeals to me. Lots of really nice features on my wrist. The question here, as with the Touch, will be the user operations. A slick, well thought out interface, with Skycaddie accuracy and all of the great features, on my wrist, would make a great compliment to a laser.
[/quote]

I basically use my SGXw bare-bones. No scoring. No auto-rotate. Turning off all the "fluff" features saves the battery, so I can get two rounds out of a charge (most days).

[quote name='Howie' timestamp='1397232362' post='9068621']
[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1397232026' post='9068593']
There has to be a problem cause got my new TGW catalog and nothing in there about the Touch. Garmin's new device is in there not Skygolf.
[/quote]

Which new Garmin device is in that catalog?
[/quote]
G8 was in there,.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about a release date? I see the actual Skycaddie website removed any reference to date.

I could not resist renewing for 3 years at only 100 dollars last fall (50 for one year). Given my SGX does not work at this point, I hate to spend money on a old version and wanted to go to the newest version,

917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
PXG 0341 15, 21 Rogue Black 70S
PXG 0317, 22, 25 with Rogue Black 85H
718 AP2, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6 56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T) or Futura 5.5M

I was told at least another month. I've given up and crossed it off my list sadly. I can't keep waiting

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='James B' timestamp='1398824863' post='9200777']
Anyone heard anything about a release date? I see the actual Skycaddie website removed any reference to date.

I could not resist renewing for 3 years at only 100 dollars last fall (50 for one year). Given my SGX does not work at this point, I hate to spend money on a old version and wanted to go to the newest version,
[/quote]

Have you considered picking up a used SGX, and flipping it when you get the Touch? I imagine you might lose a handful of dollars.

I heard by calling SkyGolf, I could get a refurb unit for around 100 bucks in exchange for the broken unit. I will look around on Ebay to see what I can find to get for now.

917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
PXG 0341 15, 21 Rogue Black 70S
PXG 0317, 22, 25 with Rogue Black 85H
718 AP2, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6 56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T) or Futura 5.5M

Talked to a rep. Yesterday. Told me they should be shipping by May 5th. But, heard this crap before. They did remove available date on their website, and TGW is saying they are shipping in 2-3 weeks. Figure pre orders should go out first, then stores would then receive them. I'm hopeful that this is going to really happen soon, as he said. I did tell them, if they delay another month, then I want a full refund to my credit card. I will consider other options.

[quote name='BCham454' timestamp='1398834900' post='9201601']
Talked to a rep. Yesterday. Told me they should be shipping by May 5th. But, heard this crap before. They did remove available date on their website, and TGW is saying they are shipping in 2-3 weeks. Figure pre orders should go out first, then stores would then receive them. I'm hopeful that this is going to really happen soon, as he said. I did tell them, if they delay another month, then I want a full refund to my credit card. I will consider other options.
[/quote]

Golfsmith has May 12th as a ship date. Who knows with SkyGolf

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord