Unsolicited Swing Advice from a Stranger/Hack...

Yup... The title is pretty self explanatory. I was at the driving range the other night, warming up (hitting a few easy 8 irons) and the guy on the mat next to me told me, "don't use any power in your take away." "I'm sorry???" I say in utter confusion. To which he replies, "yeah, I noticed you and you'll hit the ball better if you don't use any power in your take away." I was completely thrown off guard and dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say. In my head I was thinking, "who the h#ll is this dude and how should I respond to his advice???" Even the guy on the other side looked confused. I mean, I was going through my normal routine and hitting the ball flush. You could even see the quarter-sized range ball cover marks on the sweet spot of my iron from where I was puring my shots. He had his driver out, as I could hear him hit the ball, so I stepped back and watched him struggle to reach the 175 yd marker on any type of line. After about 8 attempts (with no luck) he took a break. With him watching my every move, I pulled my 3 wood out and striped 3 balls (out of 3) down the middle of my line. They ranged betwee 215 and 225 and he witnessed all of it. He then said, "I told you it would work..." After that, I just paused for a minute. Finally I asked if he was a pro to which he answered no. He then packed up his sh!t and gave me the rest of his range balls before he left the range. What just happened??? Lol.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He obviously didn't know he was talking to a WRX'er; one commonly found puring 180 yard 8i lasers and striping 225 yard 3w photon torpedos. :scenic:

Hehe, just had to note the passive brags somehow, all in good fun! I'm jealous of your shots, but I agree with 24vince, most of the time I think it's just someone trying to release their inner wannabe golf pro. Some people love the sport so much, that when you mix that with their respective personalities, they just can't contain themselves.

Edit: and go ahead, make their day, say something like "Oh, let me give that a try, like this?" and zing one out there for 'em!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Give me two swings and my 8 iron will go 180 yards (I'm from the lowered expectations school of the WRX). Lol. He had good intentions but sometimes it's ok to be humble (and quiet) at times.

I love golf

No habla ingles

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386242988' post='8251629']
I'd say when some busybody stranger tries to engage you in an unwanted "advice" session and you oblige him by turning it into a "mine's bigger" contest...

...then he has already won.
[/quote]

He really didn't win anything. Lol. Speaking about a topic that you aren't fully informed about, to a complete stranger who might know more than you (about the very topic), can lead to a big serving of humble pie. I'm sure many of us have been on both sides of that situation. It was a bizarre, but pleasant, incident which is why I figured I'd share it.

I love golf

OTOH, I was at a driving range near Sebring, FL. in '04 and was hitting a driver pretty well working on a fade when an occasional mini-banana would rear its head. I noticed an elderly gent standing behind me talking quietly with a couple other guys. They stood there about 10 minutes and weren't bothering me at all. As they departed and I was teeing up another ball, the gent says, "keep an eye on the cup in your left wrist. Other than that, the rest looks pretty good". I finished my bucket and as I was returning the basket, I asked the range patron who the advisor is? He replied, "Mr. Fred Hawkins".

For those of you who don't know who Fred Hawkins is, he finished tied for 2nd to Arnold Palmer in the '58 Masters and placed well in other Majors during that era. I later was fortunate enough to play a couple rounds with Mr. Hawkins and watch him shoot a 77 from the intermediate tees when he was 81 yoa.

I'm not advocating you should listen to everyone who offers you unsolicited advice in golf, finances, real estate, etc. but there are times when you're given a bountiful nugget........

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Hard to understand how someone could comment on another person's swing when they have no idea what that person may be working on or trying. If I'm working on trouble shots, punches, big draws and fades (all the fun shots you [i]really [/i]need to get back in the fairway) I look like someone who couldn't break 100. Best to concentrate on your own game!

Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
PING Anser

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386254951' post='8252187']
I'd say when some busybody stranger tries to engage you in an unwanted "advice" session and you oblige him by turning it into a "mine's bigger" contest...

[/quote]

He really didn't win anything. Lol. Speaking about a topic that you aren't fully informed about, to a complete stranger who might know more than you (about the very topic), can lead to a big serving of humble pie. I'm sure many of us have been on both sides of that situation. It was a bizarre, but pleasant, incident which is why I figured I'd share it.
[/quote]

I wouldn't imagine someone giving clueless advice to strangers is going to feel "humble" about anything you think you proved to him.

He felt the need to show off his advice-giving skills to some guy in the next stall at the range. You felt the need to show off your shot-hitting skills to some guy in the next stall at the range. I doubt either of you came away impressed by the other.

But FWIW, nice humble/passive brag telling us about it here! :taunt:

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386262341' post='8252801']
[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386254951' post='8252187']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't imagine someone giving clueless advice to strangers is going to feel "humble" about anything you think you proved to him.

He felt the need to show off his advice-giving skills to some guy in the next stall at the range. You felt the need to show off your shot-hitting skills to some guy in the next stall at the range. I doubt either of you came away impressed by the other.

But FWIW, nice humble brag telling us about it here! :taunt:
[/quote]

I don't know... Maybe I gave in a bit (by showing him that I knew how to hit a golf ball). My question was, why was I so lucky to receive his instruction, when there were literally 5 other people right next to us who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in broad daylight??? In the end he seemed like a good person so there was no love lost.

I'll repeat myself by saying that I thought it was a bizarre, but funny, experience. That is why I chose to share it. And me hitting a few decent balls (for me) with my 3 wood is hardly bragging by WRX standards. ;-)

I love golf

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386263114' post='8252873']
I don't know... Maybe I gave in a bit (by showing him that I knew how to hit a golf ball).
[/quote]

That was my point. Heck, the guy might be delusional to think it was his comment that straightened you out!

[quote]That is why I chose to share it. And me hitting a few decent balls (for me) with my 3 wood is hardly bragging by WRX standards. ;-)
[/quote]

Point taken. Now if it were 1-iron...oops, wrong thread.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386263445' post='8252907']
[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386263114' post='8252873']
I don't know... Maybe I gave in a bit (by showing him that I knew how to hit a golf ball).
[/quote]

That was my point. Heck, the guy might be delusional to think it was his comment that straightened you out!

[quote]That is why I chose to share it. And me hitting a few decent balls (for me) with my 3 wood is hardly bragging by WRX standards. ;-)
[/quote]

Point taken. Now if it were 1-iron...oops, wrong thread.
[/quote]

Foshizzle... LOL. I still have my 990B 2-iron, from my college days, tucked away in my closet for those days when I need to punish (or humble) myself.

I love golf

[i]I'm just not sure whether the OP was about the other guy or if the other guy was just incidental to the OP's need to let us know how good he is.........[/i]

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1386264343' post='8252997']
[i]I'm just not sure whether the OP was about the other guy or if the other guy was just incidental to the OP's need to let us know how good he is.........[/i]
[/quote]

I'm far from good. Currently play to 12 (approximate). My point was about me going to the range, and minding my own business, when some random person (who couldn't hit a golf ball) decided to give me advice on the golf swing. Aside from me saying I hit a few solid 3 woods and some easy 8 irons, did I imply that I was "good."

I love golf

I have a friend, actually a really good friend who I refused to play golf with for a long time. I'm not the worlds greatest golfer, usually high 80's with the low 80 mixed in. Could probably break 80 if I played more than 1-2x per month. Anyway my friend isn't good...period. Like 100 plus. Yet he gives out swing tips like he's the PGA instructor of the year. Not only is his advice incorrect, but he never accounts that I'm lefty and he isn't, so his bad advice is usually backwards anyway. He used to have a habit of stopping me mid-swing on the course to tell me what he perceived me doing wrong. And by habit he did this twice before I verbally rained holy h3ll on him for talking/correcting/coaching me in my FREAKING backswing.......

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386264693' post='8253027']
[/quote]

I'm far from good. Currently play to 12 (approximate). My point was about me going to the range, and minding my own business, when some random person (who couldn't hit a golf ball) decided to give me advice on the golf swing. Aside from me saying I hit a few solid 3 woods and some easy 8 irons, did I imply that I was "good."
[/quote]
This: " I pulled my 3 wood out and striped 3 balls (out of 3) down the middle of my line."
And this: " I was going through my normal routine and hitting the ball flush. You could even see the quarter-sized range ball cover marks on the sweet spot of my iron from where I was puring my shots."
Sure looks like you are saying you're good.........

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1386265626' post='8253093']
[/quote]

[/quote]
This: " I pulled my 3 wood out and striped 3 balls (out of 3) down the middle of my line."
And this: " I was going through my normal routine and hitting the ball flush. You could even see the quarter-sized range ball cover marks on the sweet spot of my iron from where I was puring my shots."
[/quote]

Reading back over the "quarter-sized range ball cover marks on the sweet spot" part... I could see where that might sound a bit like boasting. But doing so with a short iron/wedge isn't a huge deal if you hit the ball decent. And the 3 wood comment... Give me a break already. I hit 3 good (for me) balls on a driving range. They weren't anything special to most posters on here. If I said I was 250 out, over 100 yds of water, to a tucked pin and I flushed 3/3 then I might take issue.

I love golf

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386266399' post='8253169']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Reading back over the "quarter-sized range ball cover marks on the sweet spot" part... I could see where that might sound a bit like boasting. But doing so with a short iron/wedge isn't a huge deal if you hit the ball decent. And the 3 wood comment... Give me a break already. I hit 3 good (for me) balls on a driving range. They weren't anything special to most posters on here. If I said I was 250 out, over 100 yds of water, to a tucked pin and I flushed 3/3 then I might take issue.
[/quote]

As I become more emboldened on this board I think these two points should be noted.

If you are striping your 3w 225 with beat up range balls (further than I hit them), and puring every iron with the surlyn ripped into the grooves to prove it, I would say this is a humble brag.

I would also say, as a 2.2 hcp (PB for the scorekeepers) who hits a 3w about that far and cannot rip the surlyn off a range ball, you may want to be more open to ideas to improve your golf game... from any source.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I must say, I find your defensive posture to be kinda humourous. I gave an opinion based on how I read the post. It appeared to me that the post was more about you than him. You haven't changed my mind.....
Having said that, when someone on the range comes to me with unsolicited advice, I thank him and advise him that I will take what he is seeing in my swing back to my CPGA teacher........( right after I squeeze off six consecutive 210 yd baby draw bombs with an old 5 iron I found laying around derilect, in the basement.)

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1386268057' post='8253309']
WHAT! unsolicited advice on a practice range?........un-heard of.
[/quote]

I guess... It's not happened to me in recent memory.

I love golf

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1386269357' post='8253421']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I must say, I find your defensive posture to be kinda humourous. I gave an opinion based on how I read the post. It appeared to me that the post was more about you than him. You haven't changed my mind.....
Having said that, when someone on the range comes to me with unsolicited advice, I thank him and advise him that I will take what he is seeing in my swing back to my CPGA teacher........( right after I squeeze off six consecutive 210 yd baby draw bombs with an old 5 iron I found laying around derilect, in the basement.)
[/quote]

Determining tone on a written message can be difficult so I'll say that i don't mean to come off that way. I was simply parlaying something that I thought was interesting and funny at the range. If me being descriptive of what happened made me appear to be a braggart, then I own that. My bad. That wasn't my intention.

I love golf

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1386269894' post='8253457']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1386269357' post='8253421']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Determining tone on a written message can be difficult so I'll say that i don't mean to come off that way. I was simply parlaying something that I thought was interesting and funny at the range. If me being descriptive of what happened made me appear to be a braggart, then I own that. My bad. That wasn't my intention.
[/quote]
Sorry, my bad, actually.
I was having fun at your expense. My passive brag above, while completely fictional, was way worse than what you said.
Sometimes, when we hit a number of great shots, we have to tell someone about it. And that is what you did and that is what this place is all about.
Unsolicited advice on the range is a pain in the butt, even though most who offer it are well intentioned. I actually use the line from my last post.
But what really bothers me about the whole advice thing is, if I think I'm hitting it really well one day and someone who really has no right to give me advice, does anyhow, it ruins my conception of a good striking day, you know? I mean, if this guy can see a swing fault, then I must be really hacking it up and i better get to my pro real quick.....