Leather Golf Grips

TMelectric

What are the pros and cons on using leather grips? Is it worth the price? What are the best ones to buy? I have been looking at Best grips and they are very tempting. But it seems like leather grips get no love on any forum.

Thanks

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TMelectric' timestamp='1387032639' post='8298939']
What are the pros and cons on using leather grips? Is it worth the price? What are the best ones to buy? I have been looking at Best grips and they are very tempting. But it seems like leather grips get no love on any forum.

Thanks
[/quote]
When I entered the "golf business" leather grips were being replaced by "rubber" grips because President Eisenhower switched to rubber made by Eaton rubber in Michigan as an expansion of their business of making fan belts. No forum love because of the price and the required maintenance. Those that have them absolutely love them. It really depends on what your golf budget allows!

Thanks
[/quote]

I used Leather grips, until about 8 years. I remember how excited I was when The GripMaster brought back high quality grips ... I couldn't wait to try them.

They're expensive, but ask yourself this: Cost is no object on the PGA tour, in which case, why is almost NO ONE using them? It's simple, they don't work as well as today's rubber/synthetic compounds.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1387066227' post='8300953']

Thanks
[/quote]

I used Leather grips, until about 8 years. I remember how excited I was when The GripMaster brought back high quality grips ... I couldn't wait to try them.

They're expensive, but ask yourself this: Cost is no object on the PGA tour, in which case, why is almost NO ONE using them? It's simple, they don't work as well as today's rubber/synthetic compounds.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I am thinking. Why wouldn't a PGA pro use them if they are good.

Thanks for all the replies

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]Simply because the leather grip companies are small and can't afford to pay a lot of tour pros to use them.

They are in every way superior to any rubber/polymer grip. Both Gripmaster and Best Grip are excellent in any weather condition especially when wet. Actually on an amortized basis they are cheaper then top of the line rubber grips like GP new decades since they last at least three times longer. Their only minor downside is they are a little bit heavier, like 3 grams or so, compared to most rubber grips.

I would advise anyone who wants to try them to stay away from the wrapped types as they tend to seperate at the wrap interfaces. This has been true with leather wrapped grips snce I first encountered them in the 50's. It's just the nature of the construction where one side of the wrap is tapered to keep the diameter constant at the wrap interfaces. Both companies make stiched models to eliminate the wrapping.

[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1387071609' post='8301341']

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]Simply because the leather grip companies are small and can't afford to pay a lot of tour pros to use them.

They are in every way superior to any rubber/polymer grip. Both Gripmaster and Best Grip are excellent in any weather condition especially when wet. Actually on an amortized basis they are cheaper then top of the line rubber grips like GP new decades since they last at least three times longer. Their only minor downside is they are a little bit heavier, like 3 grams or so, compared to most rubber grips.

I would advise anyone who wants to try them to stay away from the wrapped types as they tend to seperate at the wrap interfaces. This has been true with leather wrapped grips snce I first encountered them in the 50's. It's just the nature of the construction where one side of the wrap is tapered to keep the diameter constant at the wrap interfaces. Both companies make stiched models to eliminate the wrapping.
[/quote]

Guys on the PGA Tour would play with Toilet Paper grips if they thought it would help ... even if Charmin didn't offer them a contract.

I bought one Gripmaster earlier this year to try out...I think with shipping it was like $28. Nothing wrong with it, per say, but it wasn't particularly comfortable, tacky (yes, I bought the tacky model and am aware that they have various levels of tac), and throughout the round I had to wipe it off before using it as it seemed to attract all the dust from my bag.

On the plus side, the interior of my bag is now spotless! :)

[quote name='4Wedges' timestamp='1387074389' post='8301505']
I bought one Gripmaster earlier this year to try out...I think with shipping it was like $28. Nothing wrong with it, per say, but it wasn't particularly comfortable, tacky (yes, I bought the tacky model and am aware that they have various levels of tac), and throughout the round I had to wipe it off before using it as it seemed to attract all the dust from my bag.

On the plus side, the interior of my bag is now spotless! :)
[/quote]

One more benefit that I never thought of. Cleans the inside of the bag.. Lol

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1387073811' post='8301461']
[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1387071609' post='8301341']

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

Guys on the PGA Tour would play with Toilet Paper grips if they thought it would help ... even if Charmin didn't offer them a contract.
[/quote]You seem to have a poor grasp of the economics of professional golf.

About 18 months ago I bought a batch of Gripmaster kangaroo leather grips off eBay, the kind with the internal stitching rather than "stitchback" or "wrap" style. Very, very good quality grips. I used them to grip the 5-iron through sand wedge of the set of irons I was using at the time (didn't get enough grips to do the LW or long irons).

PROS

1. They feel good in my hands.

2. They are very grippy/stable/easy to hold onto even when my hands are slightly wet.

3. I think they will last a long, long time. A few dozen rounds and they show absolutely not one hint of wear.

CONS

1. They pick up every bit of lint, grit, sand, dirt, grass or random unidentifiable speck that you can imagine. Constantly. And that stuff is very time-consuming to get completely removed.

2. They are super, super expensive. Even the "deal" I got on a limited number of them was nearly $25/club. Yeah they last a long time but still.

3. They are a royal PITA to get on the club. Combination of very stiff, easily damaged if you bend or stretch them and the black dye on them comes off on everything if solvent touches the outside.

For me that first "con" is the biggie. I can not stand to play golf with other than immaculately clean grips. And honestly, I don't think these leather grips with the black dye and "tack" on them every get immaculately clean. To keep them as clean as possible is much more difficult than a plastic or rubber grip. I would deal with the expense and installation challenge if I could just keep the darned things clean.

The expense might be a bit more manageable if you like the "stitchback" style. I can't stand to feel that large, external stitching in my hands. Part of the reason mine were considered a "deal" at 25 bucks is the kangaroo leather, internal stitch ones are at the high end of the price scale from Gripmaster. In fact I don't know that they offer that option any longer. A cow leather Stitchback can be had for well under $20/grip if you shop around.

[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1387106091' post='8302557']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1387073811' post='8301461']

[/quote]You seem to have a poor grasp of the economics of professional golf.
[/quote]

Really? You need to do some research and find out how many PGA Tour players actually have "Grip Endorsement" contracts. Almost NONE.

Other than Arnold Palmer, Lamkin had no PGA Players on staff up until recently

PURE was paying no one, at least not up until a couple of years ... now they pay Hank Haney, Tiger's former coach as their major endorser.

Winn Grips pays ... Butch Harmon & Natalie Gulbis

SuperStroke pays ... Jason Dufner

Iomic pays Karrie Webb

Quick, tell me who on the PGA Tour endorses GolfPride grips, the #1 grip on Tour? I'll give you a clue ... go to their Website and you'll find no PGA Tour endorser.

The Gripmaster pays Padraig Harrington - he's on staff with them.

I played The Gripmaster Clubmaker Swinger Stichback for two years. They didn't show any sign of wear until then, but I had a problem in my swing, that didn't make me feel comfortable with the less taper of the leather grips.

On the PRO side are:
They will last - a long time
They are sticky - I stopped wearing a glove after switching to leather - another money factor ;)
They probably are the best wet weather grip, you can imagine

CONS:
Price to buy them - but the longer lifetime will take care of that. It's just hard on your wallet once in every two to three years
They catch dirt - that's a real pain
Sunscreen will hold onto the leather badly - don't apply to your hands, when playing leather grips
For me - the taper rate and over all size. Even the standard size feels bigger in my hands

I liked them, switched to Lamkin ACE wraps and look forward to UTx.

Regards,
Michael

I have some best grips on a set. They weren't that much compaired to some grips. Less than $19 a grip with the thread color of my choice. I think I had the entire set installed in 30 minutes. I userd a compressor to blow them on. It seems that most leather grips are closer to a medium size. Nothing can match the feel and look of leather.

• 2 years later...

Those that like them, like them. Those that don't, don't. But I don't think that justifies rippin' em like some are here. I mean, hey! I can't stand Ping clubs, but I don't go around telling everyone they suck!!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I just put best grips on my irons. The stitchbacks don't bother me. It's only been 2 rounds, so far I like them. I'm worried dust and dirt will stick to them and that they're gonna get beat up taking them in and out of the bag.

Don't sweat it too much. Leather wears in, not out.

Regular wipe down with a damp cloth will keep them in great shape for a long time.

I've been playing a mixed set of Best Grips and Gripmasters the past year. I much prefer them to multi compounds. I got some "blemished" ones for not much more than Golf Pride New Decade. I think I'll actually save money as there is no need to change them every year as I normally do.

Pros:

No need to wear gloves

WAY better peformance in the rain

Comfort

Cons:

Slightly more difficult to put on

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternate set: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I wouldn't look too deep into the pros' preferences. Most would play something similar to what they grew up with, I would think. Lots of grip advancements, but still tons of tour velvet and tv cord players on tour. Most didn't ply leather growing up due to cost and availability. Why switch now.

I've never owned an entire set up a Weather groups, but would like to. I picked up a driver several years ago with a leather grip master grip, and was shocked at how much I liked it. Incredibly tacky surface, very comfortable feel, very little wear and tear on my hands. Frankly, I have never felt as secure a connection with the club. I'd love to try them on entire set, but I rarely keep a set of clubs long enough to justify the cost.

I just put best grips on my irons. The stitchbacks don't bother me. It's only been 2 rounds, so far I like them. I'm worried dust and dirt will stick to them and that they're gonna get beat up taking them in and out of the bag.

Damp cloth (water only) will keep the dirt at bay. Our ProTack is moisture activated, so the more you wipe them down, the tackier and softer they will get, too!

I wouldn't look too deep into the pros' preferences. Most would play something similar to what they grew up with, I would think. Lots of grip advancements, but still tons of tour velvet and tv cord players on tour. Most didn't ply leather growing up due to cost and availability. Why switch now.

I've never owned an entire set up a Weather groups, but would like to. I picked up a driver several years ago with a leather grip master grip, and was shocked at how much I liked it. Incredibly tacky surface, very comfortable feel, very little wear and tear on my hands. Frankly, I have never felt as secure a connection with the club. I'd love to try them on entire set, but I rarely keep a set of clubs long enough to justify the cost.

In 10 years of being in the golf industry, I've only met a handful of your players that would actually pay out of pocket for equipment. Unfortunately, most guys are like Don Johnson's character in Tin Cup.

As far as cost goes, try some of our seconds. Most of the time the difference in second and a production grip is unnoticeable minus a slight difference in color or stain. Performance is the same.