2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Portland area private clubs

spud3

I'm so glad I found this thread! Just moved to the West Linn area from out of state and thinking about joining either OGC or WVCC. I got pricing from both clubs and both seem to have gone up quite a bit compared to what others have posted here several years ago. Just curious to hear feedback from current and/or former members and any general guidance on things I should consider. 

A little about me: 38 y.o. married with 2 boys ages 5 & 8 (both are pretty loud and full of energy as you'd expect from young boys). Would love to find a club that the entire family can enjoy; would love to put the boys in a junior golf program as well. As for me, I've been golfing for quite some time but unfortunately still shoot in the 90's but was only playing once a month if that given familial obligations. Hoping to play a lot more once I become a member somewhere...

Thanks! 

A buddy was just talking WVCC up to me a few days ago.  I’m also in West Linn with boys I’d like to get into a Jr program (10 next month and just turned 8 ), and I was hoping WVCC would be less painful on the wallet. OGC is a sweet track, but not an easy walk, by any means.

You should consider Oswego Lake CC if you live on the north side of town.  I really like the course, and the membership is trending a bit younger.  Likely too pricey for me, as I think the buy-in is $30K+, but I’d join tomorrow if money were not a limiting factor.  Back 9 has some elevation to it, so also not the easiest walk, but was in awesome shape the two times I played last summer/fall.  Closer to my house than WVCC by half, and OGC by a few minutes, too.

Curious what the going rates are for WVCC and OGC are. You guys get recent quotes on initiation and monthlies?

Snuck out to the Reserve today and I've gotta say, $4k full boat initiation for two courses is pretty tempting, even with the drive from LO!

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

10 hours ago, hooperpsu said:

Curious what the going rates are for WVCC and OGC are. You guys get recent quotes on initiation and monthlies?

Snuck out to the Reserve today and I've gotta say, $4k full boat initiation for two courses is pretty tempting, even with the drive from LO!

We used to be members there and enjoyed it. Had a few big issues though. 

- No amenities (pool, gym, anything)

- At the time no jr golfers at all

- courses get REALLY wet in the winter

- I couldn’t book tee times on the public course until a week out and couldn’t bring guests to the private side before 10 or 11 am on weekends. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, hooperpsu said:

As of last summer, joining fees were $10k for WVCC and $15k for OGC. I live in West Linn and will be joining one of those two within the next year. While OGC has a nicer clubhouse and presumably better social opportunities living in West Linn, I’m strongly leaning towards WVCC as it’s a much more walkable course that I can enjoy year-round. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

As of last summer, joining fees were $10k for WVCC and $15k for OGC. I live in West Linn and will be joining one of those two within the next year. While OGC has a nicer clubhouse and presumably better social opportunities living in West Linn, I’m strongly leaning towards WVCC as it’s a much more walkable course that I can enjoy year-round. 

That's pretty close, another person in this thread sent me some of their current materials. Dues are about the same at either ($600ish) which seems like most clubs in the area are in that range.

Tualatin Country Club was brought up earlier in this thread, but I rarely hear about it in the wild. Anybody know the general composition of the membership? Older? Younger? Any ideas on initiation or monthlies? Active golf or more social?

15 minutes ago, SouthLand said:

Tualatin should be in the same cost range as OGC.  I’m just guessing on the demos, but I get the impression it‘s an older membership. I don’t know anyone who’s a member (do for many of the others) and the clubhouse gave off a bit of a dated vibe the times I’ve been in there for scrambles.  

Yeah, that was my impression as well. I'll put it on the list to check out this summer though.

If this is rude, I’m sorry and not intended to come across that way. also no idea if it is actually true. 

BUT, I was told back in the day Tualatin was the Jewish club. Waverly & Portland supposedly didn’t have many of any Jewish people so they joined Tualatin. Not that it matters just an interesting story to me if true. 

Persimmons not really a walking friendly course unless you’re a mountain goat and is a mess in the winter. Columbia edge water has a great practice area and a short course as well. Columbia Edgewater and Waverly would be my top 2 choices if money wasn’t a factor. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, classick said:

I played Tualatin Country Club today as a guest. Course was dried out enough that I didn’t have a single ball plug. Membership is cheap. Junior membership is $2k initiation and close to $400/month. Not sure on food/drink minimums.

How was the course? Good as a guest or one that could sustain long term playability as your primary?

9 hours ago, hooperpsu said:

How was the course? Good as a guest or one that could sustain long term playability as your primary?

I’ll be honest, I think I’d get bored pretty quick. Course is in great condition, but it maxes out at 6,700 yards and it’s a lot of driver-wedges on Par 4s. Greens were great and pace was fast even on one of the first nice days of the year.

That being said, I think I’m just going to keep fighting for tee times on the public tracks. I’m on a DuPont shift schedule, so playing during the week definitely helps with that.

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, classick said:

I played Tualatin Country Club today as a guest. Course was dried out enough that I didn’t have a single ball plug. Membership is cheap. Junior membership is $2k initiation and close to $400/month. Not sure on food/drink minimums.

I looked into Tualatin Country club a year ago prior to joining Riverside. They had a renovation special for $2500 initiation fees. When I went get more info the special was over as the club was almost at capacity. Cost was back up to $9,000 initiation  as of last summer with dues right around $600. 

Tuatin has a big assessment hitting that I’m not sure how they’re doing it

But lots of folks bailed when they wanted to renovate the club house and basically add a sports bar. 

Though last I heard, there’s a waiting list to get in 

Edited by desaille

Everybody relax, I’m here

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, desaille said:

Tuatin has a big assessment hitting that I’m not sure how they’re doing it

But lots of folks bailed when they wanted to renovate the club house and basically add a sports bar. 

Though last I heard, there’s a waiting list to get in 

Most every club in town is full anyway. Everything worth joining that is...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, HIGGINS30 said:

I looked into Tualatin Country club a year ago prior to joining Riverside. They had a renovation special for $2500 initiation fees. When I went get more info the special was over as the club was almost at capacity. Cost was back up to $9,000 initiation  as of last summer with dues right around $600. 

Was it $9,000 for under-40? Interested in learning more about Tualatin since I'm buying a house nearby. Any members here? 

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

Been a member at Tualatin for several years. We joined because we had friends who were there and it was a convenient drive from where we live. Traffic is bad and getting worse in the area so my first piece of advice is to stick to clubs within 20 minutes of your house or it will be a hassle to get there.

The course stays in great shape almost year-round and the greens are always fast. It’s not very long and I find myself hitting hybrids or irons on many par 4s to stay out of trouble. There are only 3 par 3s and 3 par 5s  and it takes awhile to get used to that.

Membership has gotten younger in the last few years but is still dominated by the “old guard” that doesn’t like change. Everyone seems to fall into one of two categories: been there for 20+ years or joined in the last 18 months.

Clubhouse remodel was just completed and not an improvement, in my opinion. Very stuffy and stale. They should have taken on a sports bar vibe but they are sticking with “reservations recommended”, no hats or untucked shirts, etc. 

There are a lot of fun families that we hang out with and the course is tough enough that it’s a good option for those that live nearby. The restaurant /bar aspects are pretty lousy, though, if that is important to you.

A good friend of mine is a member at TCC and I get in a round with him about once a month. 

Like some have stated, most TCC members are old and like to complain a lot. 

Hole 1 is a 350ish par 4 from the tips in which I drove the fringe while the group in front of us was putting. 

The member in front of us proceeded to walk my ball 10 yards away from the original landing spot, put the ball on a tee and try to give me a lecture (yelling) about golf etiquette. 

There was a pro in the group behind me that was curious about the confrontation chatted with us on #2’s tee box and reassured me that the man had dementia for scolding me to wait on a 350 yard par 4. 

TCC is in the process of raising fees. See attached that my buddy recently sent me.

Was thinking about joining but I’m turning 31 here soon and believe there are better clubs to join for the comparable monthly dues. 

C8477791-5A57-494D-A81B-1332B0A2582B.jpeg

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

5 hours ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

I’m sorry, but if you’re capable of driving the green you had no business hitting your tee ball while the group ahead was putting. 

I do not drive greens, in this instance the ball landed on the back side of a bunker 280 yards out and rolled 30 yards. Didn’t think my actions warranted a 10 minute blow up by the TCC member. Thought it would be beneficial to share for those considering joining. 

Edited by doc52

1 hour ago, doc52 said:

I do not drive greens, in this instance the ball landed on the back side of a bunker 280 yards out and rolled 30 yards. Didn’t think my actions warranted a 10 minute blow up by the TCC member. Thought it would be beneficial to share for those considering joining. 

Agreed, a 10 min blowup is uncalled for. That said, don’t judge a club by a single member. I’ve been a member of a couple private clubs over the years, and currently play public’s. Entitled douchebags can be found everywhere. 

37 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

It's everywhere

Some folks will say good drive, some will complain about anything possible

Yeah, unfortunately around PDX lately it’s been the latter. 

1 minute ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Agreed, a 10 min blowup is uncalled for. That said, don’t judge a club by a single member. I’ve been a member of a couple private clubs over the years, and currently play public’s. Entitled douchebags can be found everywhere. 

I agree, just ruined my experience there unfortunately. 

I've played many, potentially even most, of the "nice" golf courses from Seattle to Oregon to Idaho to Nevada.

I no longer live in Portland but did for 3-4 years and for anybody reading this thread I must put in my 2 cents that Columbia Edgewater is not only my favorite country club in the area, but my favorite single course I've ever played.

An absolutely top tier 18 holes. I never ended up joining as I lived in southwest and the drive there would have been a bit far to justify a country club membership.

Caveat: my opinion may be biased because most of my memory of the course involves watching Brooke Henderson as I followed her group as she won the Portland Classic in 2016

Edited by rooski
  • Like 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo