Portland area private clubs

spud3

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread once more, it seems it comes and goes. I wanted to thank everyone for laying out all of this information. We just moved to the area from Westchester County, NY, and it's been really helpful to get the lay of the land.

We are down in Lake Oswego so either OLCC or TCC would eventually be ideal. For the moment they both seem to be working with a waiting list or not even adding to a waiting list.

I was hoping some folks on this thread would be able to share is what membership trends have been looking like over the past six months or so and how things are headed. Is the COVID boom still going or have things slowed down? Trying to figure out if this is a multi-year thing or might be shorter.

We also need to get out and figure some of this stuff with ourselves but we've been slow socially since moving between getting the house in order and having a 1-year old.

Many thanks in advance. 

Membership at private clubs is booming, and clubs are raising initiation fees and have waitlists.  I believe Oswego Lake is running close to $45k for their initiation fees and has a couple dozen people on their waitlist.  Not sure the situation at Tualatin CC, though I hear they have an assessment coming for a clubhouse/dining room overhaul. Don't know if you've played both, but OLCC is a significantly better club and course than TCC so if the increased costs for OLCC aren't a factor and you're deciding between the two, personally I'd sit on the waitlist at OLCC rather than join Tualatin.

I believe Oregon Golf Club is at $20k for their initiation, though don't know if they have a waiting list.  Great clubhouse and facilities, but the course plays quite wet and you've got to be a mountain goat to consider walking it.  

I'm a member at Willamette Valley CC, and live 20 minutes away in West Linn.  Initiation there is $15k at the moment.  I believe there's a waiting list at WVCC as well, though I don't believe it's an especially long one. Very good, very walkable golf course that would be priced quite a bit higher if it was closer in.  Worth considering, depending on your willingness to drive 20-25 minutes.  

COVID boom definitely hasn't slowed down when it comes to golf.  Clubs continue to raise initiation fees and waiting lists are growing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 6:10 PM, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Membership at private clubs is booming, and clubs are raising initiation fees and have waitlists.  I believe Oswego Lake is running close to $45k for their initiation fees and has a couple dozen people on their waitlist.  Not sure the situation at Tualatin CC, though I hear they have an assessment coming for a clubhouse/dining room overhaul. Don't know if you've played both, but OLCC is a significantly better club and course than TCC so if the increased costs for OLCC aren't a factor and you're deciding between the two, personally I'd sit on the waitlist at OLCC rather than join Tualatin.

I believe Oregon Golf Club is at $20k for their initiation, though don't know if they have a waiting list.  Great clubhouse and facilities, but the course plays quite wet and you've got to be a mountain goat to consider walking it.  

I'm a member at Willamette Valley CC, and live 20 minutes away in West Linn.  Initiation there is $15k at the moment.  I believe there's a waiting list at WVCC as well, though I don't believe it's an especially long one. Very good, very walkable golf course that would be priced quite a bit higher if it was closer in.  Worth considering, depending on your willingness to drive 20-25 minutes.  

COVID boom definitely hasn't slowed down when it comes to golf.  Clubs continue to raise initiation fees and waiting lists are growing.

Really appreciate the context. I do think OLCC is where we'd like to end up so might as well go ahead and try for the wait list and see how it goes. The initiation trends are a bit eye popping but that's also me being a skinflint.

That said, I think we're going to look into WVCC as well. The drive down that way seems to be a bit more consistent than heading north from here. I work East Coast hours so that may also work well for some mid-afternoon excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of courses WVCC is way better than OLCC. OLCC is "goofy" Dan has made some good changes but not much you can do with that layout.

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 1 month later...

If relative location and cost are not issues here is how I would rank the Portland private clubs (purely as golf courses):

1. PGC
2. Columbia Edgewater
3. Pumpkin Ridge
4. WVCC

5. Waverley

After the top 5, the following are okay, but hard to rationalize joining (for a variety of reasons), especially if any of the top 5 are joinable. 
The Reserve (okay, but not a great private club experience)
Riverside (poor financial/course condition)
Oswego Lake (too hilly, poor layout)
Oregon (too hilly, unwalkable)
Tualatin (forgettable layout)

Obviously YMMV.

Edited by njlam

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johnny2324 said:

Does anyone know the figures these days on initiation fees on some of these frequently discussed clubs?

Also, most of these have wait-lists these days?? Or has there been any slow down since the Covid Boom?

Higher end, mid range?

I think the highest is about $60k with a good wait list. Mid range is probably $20-25

6 hours ago, johnny2324 said:

Does anyone know the figures these days on initiation fees on some of these frequently discussed clubs?

Also, most of these have wait-lists these days?? Or has there been any slow down since the Covid Boom?

Which clubs are you after info on?  On the south end of town, Willamette Valley is $15k with a waiting list, Oswego Lake is $58k with a waiting list, and I believe Oregon GC and Tualatin are both $20k with wait lists.

13 hours ago, mallrat said:

I may be way off but I thought it was 30-35 range. Depending on where you live Royal Oaks may be a great option also. Heard the road that runs in front of CECC is really, really bad. 

They’ve cleaned it up by CECC but a couple streets around the bend by Riverside are terrible. 

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

15 hours ago, spud3 said:

Pumpkin is currently offering a reduced rate 60-day trial for PNGA members. 

Probably because they had a bunch of people leave as a result of the LIV event thing.

I’ve heard the opposite. I was told 16 members left and that PRGC has added 20 new members. 

9 hours ago, doc52 said:

I’ve heard the opposite. I was told 16 members left and that PRGC has added 20 new members. 

Interesting, was it a member? I was talking to the member today and she said they haven’t decided personally, gonna wait until the end of summer. 

I can’t imagine they are having a big membership drive if they are adding members. 🤷‍♂️

Yes it was a member. I wanted to play the LIV routing with him, but they are only letting members play it.

PGC is $64K with a waiting list.

I think Waverley is higher and also has a waiting list.

I wonder if the members leaving Pumpkin are giving up golf as most private clubs in the area are getting more expensive and harder to get in.

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

3 hours ago, njlam said:

PGC is $64K with a waiting list.

I think Waverley is higher and also has a waiting list.

I wonder if the members leaving Pumpkin are giving up golf as most private clubs in the area are getting more expensive and harder to get in.

The person I talked to said it was more frustration with Pumpkins ownership and policies. Sounds like Escalante is more concerned with profits than properly running the club. I imagine that is always a possibility when an outside owners group owns a private club. 

But I may be talking out my rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, mallrat said:

The person I talked to said it was more frustration with Pumpkins ownership and policies. Sounds like Escalante is more concerned with profits than properly running the club. I imagine that is always a possibility when an outside owners group owns a private club. 

The fine folks at Escalante never turned down the opportunity to make a buck.  LIV will be playing outside of Boston at The International....yup, another Escalante property.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, Phreddy said:

The fine folks at Escalante never turned down the opportunity to make a buck.  LIV will be playing outside of Boston at The International....yup, another Escalante property.

Is this surprising as Escalante is a corporate owned club?

If people have a problem with profit maximization, join a member-owned club.

Generally, having things exactly the way you want them costs more, not less...

Not a judgement, just an observation...

3 hours ago, njlam said:

Is this surprising as Escalante is a corporate owned club?

If people have a problem with profit maximization, join a member-owned club.

Generally, having things exactly the way you want them costs more, not less...

Not a judgement, just an observation...

All fair and true.  My comment was admittedly snarky.  I belong to both...a member owned club and an Escalante club.  And you are correct, they are different experiences.  The Escalante relationship is purely mercantile.  They offer a generally premium product at full price and to my mind they have delivered.  Golf is a business for them and if the money LIV is throwing at players is in any way indicative of how they compensate host courses I am sure Escalante was happy to oblige.  

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, Stan J said:

I am considering Arrowhead based on proximity. Does anyone know what their current initiation fee and monthly fees are?

The one outside Canby? No idea on cost but I’ve always had fun there but a little quirky. VERY blue collar, not a good or bad thing but a very relaxed club. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, mallrat said:

Nope, you're not talking out of your rear lol

Escalante already received money from the PGA when the Korn Ferry was here at PR. That money went to Witch course, Ghost got some but not enough. 

Lots of new equipment for Eric and he did a phenomenal job with the course. The best it's ever been, original members say the course is better now than even when it opened. 

LIV comes by, same thought was presumed. Money put back into the club, NOPE.

It would be distributed across all of their properties as needed, one of The Gallery courses is under going some maintenance, presumed 3rd,4th (don't remember) course for the LIV next year

Escalante also got a jet

So all that renovation, roof, painting, decks, cart paths, etc..., which has been needed forever,  that came from the pr reserve fund. Our own fund lol. 

Sure, LIV funds might have been used but not the amount expected. 

Members left but more members have joined and the tourney has brought even more membership

Course is mint right now.

Of course the 100 degree heat will slow things down, but conditions are mint mint. Greens running 12-13 and pure

Pros love the course and we had to slow the greens down for them. 

• Like 1

Everybody relax, I’m here

22 hours ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Nope, you're not talking out of your rear lol

Escalante already received money from the PGA when the Korn Ferry was here at PR. That money went to Witch course, Ghost got some but not enough. 

Lots of new equipment for Eric and he did a phenomenal job with the course. The best it's ever been, original members say the course is better now than even when it opened. 

LIV comes by, same thought was presumed. Money put back into the club, NOPE.

It would be distributed across all of their properties as needed, one of The Gallery courses is under going some maintenance, presumed 3rd,4th (don't remember) course for the LIV next year

Escalante also got a jet

So all that renovation, roof, painting, decks, cart paths, etc..., which has been needed forever,  that came from the pr reserve fund. Our own fund lol. 

Sure, LIV funds might have been used but not the amount expected. 

Members left but more members have joined and the tourney has brought even more membership

Course is mint right now.

Of course the 100 degree heat will slow things down, but conditions are mint mint. Greens running 12-13 and pure

Pros love the course and we had to slow the greens down for them. 

The member i know said the same about the course, better than it’s ever been. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, mallrat said:

The member i know said the same about the course, better than it’s ever been. 

A good friend just joined and the dues/initiation fee are affordable compared to the other PDX clubs.

Edited by doc52

9 hours ago, doc52 said:

A good friend just joined and the dues/initiation fee is affordable compared to the other PDX clubs.

Pumpkin is an interesting club to me. It doesn’t have the cache of Waverly or PGC but is honestly a better course (maybe 2). I’ve only had bad experiences there but that is not the course layouts fault. Also, I know it’s getting better and being addressed but year round playability and location are the only 2 downgrades for me. I think it’s a great course and club but is a very specific market, based on location, price and difficulty.  

12 hours ago, mallrat said:

Pumpkin is an interesting club to me. It doesn’t have the cache of Waverly or PGC but is honestly a better course (maybe 2). I’ve only had bad experiences there but that is not the course layouts fault. Also, I know it’s getting better and being addressed but year round playability and location are the only 2 downgrades for me. I think it’s a great course and club but is a very specific market, based on location, price and difficulty.  

I agree on Pumpkin having better courses than some of the more private clubs. I generally don't agree with Golf Digest rankings, but for 2022 course rankings by state Witch Hollow is ranked higher than Waverley and PGC. Ghost Creek is ranked higher than PGC, which I 100 percent agree with.

I'd probably join out there if it wasn't a 30 minute commute without traffic (217 to 26 isn't something I want to volunteer for with traffic). What were your negative experiences?

The drainage at Pumpkin makes it an impossible club to join if you want play in the winter.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, njlam said:

The drainage at Pumpkin makes it an impossible club to join if you want play in the winter.

Can confirm - almost lost a shoe in the muck when we played Witch in Feb!

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!