American Football or Rugby - who needs to be tougher?

onuzim

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1391287769' post='8579170']
Anyways... I made it to the end of the game and kept my pants on!

Now back at my best mates house watching Led Zep at knebworth (bscinstinct will apreciate this) and discussing who we'd have in our all time band
[/quote]

Cheers! I just joined you via youtube bluetooth magic....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_DOA2AL7Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Keep your pants on, man!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1391287769' post='8579170']
Anyways... I made it to the end of the game and kept my pants on!

Now back at my best mates house watching Led Zep at knebworth (bscinstinct will apreciate this) and discussing who we'd have in our all time band
[/quote]

Good luck with the "babbalas"(hangover in south african) this morning! I hope you guys had Steve Perry on lead vocals in your all time bands?

Adams Fast12LS
Taylormade Stage 2 RBZ 19* Fairway
Taylormade SLDR 3 Hybrid
Taylormade SLDR 4 Hybrid
Adams CB2 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
Ping Anser 6

• 1 month later...

Like comparing Macintosh with Granny Smith's. Especially considering that American Football is the son of English Rugby, which is the son of Soccer. The reason that American Football players wear so many pads is because the object of the game is to stop a play by actually knocking the other player down, stopping forward progress. A tackle in Football is a very violent act that is intended to make sure the player's body touches the ground. Until that happens the play is still live. In Rugby, you stop the player's progress, but you don't have to knock him down. You do have to make sure that his progress is stopped, he must then release the ball to a teammate, so the play is still ongoing. At that point the contact becomes the focal point, not the knockdown. Trust me, the violence that occurs in a Football pile-up is far more violent, than a Rugby scrum. But nothing like the violence that occurs in a girl's locker room after you are pushed into one by your so-called buddies in 8th grade.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1395528849' post='8927197']
[quote name='Nat1037' timestamp='1395374222' post='8915897']
In my opinion (don't be offended) is that football is a child's version of rugby.
[/quote]

Children break their necks and femurs in rugby?
[/quote]
i personally have broken more parts of my body than that through playing rugby

[quote name='bain' timestamp='1395542839' post='8928723']
I personally play both. Both sports have equally as hard hits but rugby is definitely more of a beat on the body.
[/quote]I can and do only speak for myself, and I won't rehash what I stated earlier, however I will say that having gone through four years(plus half of a red-shirt season) of D 1 varsity practices, three of them as a starting "Mike/Sam" ILB, and having played rugby my last spring semester(wing forward), for me, hands down, football was much more taxing on my body.

I tried to answer the "why?" part of this opinion, and all that I can reason is that on a football field, every single play that I was on the field in my position, I would have a violent collision with at least one individual, and in many cases, more than one if I was still standing after the initial contact, and if I was not in on the tackle, I was occupying bodies so that teammates could get in on the tackle, unencumbered by a 260-300lb OL or 225-240lb FB draped on them.

I sought out contact, usually initiated it, on every single defensive play. This takes it's toll. And usually, I'd say 95% of the time, there was an offensive player to oblidge me and reciprocate.

I did the same thing on the rugby field, though as a wing forward, and as you all know, there are strategies and formations that dictate your movement and where you are at any certain point in time, and while we had formations amd schemes in football, at the snap, I was usually either responsible for a man or an area(zone), and beyond that anyone that came into my vision, well, it was a contact sport. I soon found that I could not just run around lighting guys up, just because they had a different colored jersey on, which I could do on the football field. LMAO, our coach said that he slammed his clip board more in one semester of having me on the team than he ever remembered doing it for an entire year(spring/fall seasons). Obviously, this was pre-You Tube, though I did have a few "highlight" hits, LMAO, they just left me terribly out of position, lol.

And I will be the first to say that you guys who have or do play the game in countries where rugby holds the position of football in the US, well you've got an amazing sport. Every bit the sport, if not more so than US football.

However, for me, there were days after football practices my last year, where I spent two hours post practice in PT(whirl pools, deep muscle massages, etc) and then I would need an assistant to assist me in putting my shirt on and pants because I could not lift my arms high enough to do it myself or bend enough to bring my pants up myself. However, with PT, and yes, meds, both oral and hypodermically administered, I was out there the next day.

I never had this situation with rugby.

These were just my experiences.

Like I've said, you guys have got a hell of a sport and I only wish that I had picked it up way earlier in life :)

Have a great week

My Best,
Richard

Later Ed: 03/23/14, 7:35pm- I got to go with a fraternity Bro who was invited to the Eagles(basically an A-A/All-Pro team of American rugby players who played/toured against other nation's teams) amd while he didn't make the final team, to watch rugby at that level was amazing. He played A side obviously at our university, and I played C most of the year and due to injuries, I got to play B side, though the difference between our B side and A was comprable to our starting D in football playing our scout team offense. It was a joke. However the camaraderie was fantastic, and to get together with a competitor after tryin to take his head off just 30 minutes before, well, that was so foreign to me, though it was fun. I must say that I had a lot of fun playing rugby. Football? Yes, winning was fun, though it was work. Hard work. Thanks for reading- RP II

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

In my opinion (don't be offended) is that football is a child's version of rugby.
[/quote]LMAO, and right back at ya, "don't be offended," and while I don't know what level of ball that you played(football), and I don't care what level of rugby, lol, because while I would never speak for anyone but myself, however one thing that I know-

If you had spent 30 minutes playing opposite myself and my teammates, or any top-30 D 1 program defense or offense, the last thought in your mind would be, "this is child's version of rugby " LMAO.

Even if you do find rugby more physical, and I would never argue with your personal experiences, views or opinions, but to equate football at our highest amateur level, or even Professionally, of which four of my D-mates went on to play on Sundays, to "child's version of rugby?"

Bro, it may have been, but trust me, we woulda been the nastiest 11 children in your world, lol

Have a great season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I doubt any of us are qualified to talk about this subject....since many of the responses are coherent sentences with moderate use of punctuation, and decently formulated arguments, it's unlikely any of us have actually played these sports.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1395586755' post='8930797']
I doubt any of us are qualified to talk about this subject....since many of the responses are coherent sentences with moderate use of punctuation, and decently formulated arguments, it's unlikely any of us have actually played these sports.
[/quote]Great points and from the tones and content of the posts, I would venture that our International friends have played at a much higher level and give accurate assessments off the game. Played at this level, or higher, it is indeed an incredible game/sport.

Though, and this is not directed at you Jeff, however your points, outstanding points, have never stopped anyone from posting an opinion in this or any other thread in this forum, lol.

Nice post

Have a nice week :)

Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1395584184' post='8930567']
[/quote]LMAO, and right back at ya, "don't be offended," and while I don't know what level of ball that you played(football), and I don't care what level of rugby, lol, because while I would never speak for anyone but myself, however one thing that I know-

If you had spent 30 minutes playing opposite myself and my teammates, or any top-30 D 1 program defense or offense, the last thought in your mind would be, "this is child's play," LMAO.

Even if you do find rugby more physical, and I would never argue with your personal experiences, views or opinions, but to equate football at our highest amateur level, or even Professionally, of which four of my D-mates went on to play on Sundays, to "child's version of rugby?"

Bro, it may have been, but trust me, we woulda been the nastiest 11 children in your world, lol

Richard
[/quote]

Nobody who has cracked heads would say it's childs play. Foreigners don't understand the game. No way to explain what happens in football to them or anyone who hasn't played.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1395617276' post='8934085']
[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1395584184' post='8930567']

If you had spent 30 minutes playing opposite myself and my teammates, or any top-30 D 1 program defense or offense, the last thought in your mind would be, "this is child's play," LMAO.

Richard
[/quote]

Nobody who has cracked heads would say it's childs play. Foreigners don't understand the game. No way to explain what happens in football to them or anyone who hasn't played.
[/quote]He was referring to American football as "a child's version of rugby."

I would agree 100% with your statement and Jeff above echoed those thoughts also.

I believe that most of us could agree that at the highest amateur levels and professionally, neither sport is "child's play," and both require more athleticism than the average individual possess, lol

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard