2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

Their website isn't really clear on this or I am just thick (probably). Are the tags used the same for both the "Classic" version and the "Live" version? If so, I assume it is the belt clip unit that has the bluetooth connectivity built in. So, unlike the Arrcos system, each tag does not have to have its own battery?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their website isn't really clear on this or I am just thick (probably). Are the tags used the same for both the "Classic" version and the "Live" version? If so, I assume it is the belt clip unit that has the bluetooth connectivity built in. So, unlike the Arrcos system, each tag does not have to have its own battery?

Yes to all your questions. Unpowered tags, same ones for both systems, belt unit is the only active component.

I had one and found it to be kind of annoying. I would have to go back and edit the rounds afterwards for errors or if I forgot to tap it before the shot. For me it was just too much of a pain in the arse.

Me too,so I just got a Shotscope. Noneed to remember to tag. It works away in the background.

That definitely looks like a useful system. I would personally be worried about practice swings/boredom swings/swings away from my ball location, as I have a habit of swinging my club to stay loose when walking a round of golf.

I had one and found it to be kind of annoying. I would have to go back and edit the rounds afterwards for errors or if I forgot to tap it before the shot. For me it was just too much of a pain in the arse.

Me too,so I just got a Shotscope. Noneed to remember to tag. It works away in the background.

That definitely looks like a useful system. I would personally be worried about practice swings/boredom swings/swings away from my ball location, as I have a habit of swinging my club to stay loose when walking a round of golf.

No need to worry about that. You have to tap the tag to the device (either clipped to you, in your pocket, or your phone) for it to record a shot. It's pretty hard to do without meaning to. And even then, it's easy to delete an extra shot when editing the round.

No need to worry about that. You have to tap the tag to the device (either clipped to you, in your pocket, or your phone) for it to record a shot. It's pretty hard to do without meaning to. And even then, it's easy to delete an extra shot when editing the round.

Hmmm, which system are you talking about?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

If you can't use the Live app on the phone due to no Wifi (for starting the round) your only alternative is to use the belt recorder in Game Golf Classic mode.

Leave the phone unpaired. Simply press the power button a couple minutes before you tee off, tag your shots as usual, then power off again when the round is over.

After the round as soon as you have Internet connectivity you can fire up the belt unit, pair it with your phone and download the stored round via the bluetooth connection.

Both. Game Golf classic and live both require you to tag the club to something before it records a shot. It doesn't tag every swing, it tags when you tap the club to your device. The device can either be the tracker that you are wearing on your belt or your NFC enabled phone.

I feel like this needs it's own thread because it's so good.

Went out with Game Golf app & Pebble Time Steel smart watch today. Jfc it was so ducking easy. Easier than paper scorecard, plus front / middle / back info.

Just got done looking at the round online and stats, this thing is a keeper.

Literally use 2 buttons on the watch per shot. Less than 2 seconds to go from D to P and select. I manually advanced the holes on the phone while in the cart. Nothing else to be done on course.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

Both. Game Golf classic and live both require you to tag the club to something before it records a shot. It doesn't tag every swing, it tags when you tap the club to your device. The device can either be the tracker that you are wearing on your belt or your NFC enabled phone.

I have Gamegolf and know how it works. I thought you were talking about Shotscope which I do not know.

You can turn off autotagging from GameGolf if you swing a lot of extra swings.

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges

I have the auto tag on... I swing a lot of extra shots... I have only had it pick up an extra shot a handful of times in the two years i have been using the system...

I generally forget to tag shots, and it picks up about 75% of them on average.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Will Game Golf (or any of the similar products) track stats if you play less than 18/9 holes?

Yes and this is one of my grieves about the system. The statistics do not handle partial rounds very well. As we play a lot of Stableford in Finland (and Europe), we have holes where we do not have score. So I end up having strange rounds of 17 holes etc. I would like to skip those, or have some way of not showing them in the list of complete rounds.

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges

I can't really think of any other way it could handle a 17-hole round than just report the stats for the holes played. For my part, I would not want to exclude those rounds from my stats.

The only stat that it really messes up would be your average scores, which isn't very interesting IMO. As far as stats on your club distances/dispersions or your rates of scrambling and so forth, those are best averaged over lots of rounds anyway. How many holes a given round contributes to the overall averages doesn't really matter.

P.S. At my club, like a lot of USA clubs in my experience, we play a lot of pseudo-Stableford "points" games. Unlike real Stableford, it's not just that anything worse than net bogey counts as zero points. In our games it's all played as though everyone is off scratch so anything beyond net gross bogey is a zero (the handicap strokes are added on to the total afterwards). Since I'm a double-digit handicapper I basically pick up any time I encounter a stroke-and-distance penalty unless it's on a really short and easy hole. So I get lots of 16-hole and 17-hole rounds in my stats.

I feel like this needs it's own thread because it's so good.

Went out with Game Golf app & Pebble Time Steel smart watch today. Jfc it was so ducking easy. Easier than paper scorecard, plus front / middle / back info.

Just got done looking at the round online and stats, this thing is a keeper.

Literally use 2 buttons on the watch per shot. Less than 2 seconds to go from D to P and select. I manually advanced the holes on the phone while in the cart. Nothing else to be done on course.

I absolutely agree with you. It is a great solution.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1331996-pebble-time-game-golf-awesome/

I can't really think of any other way it could handle a 17-hole round than just report the stats for the holes played. For my part, I would not want to exclude those rounds from my stats.

The only stat that it really messes up would be your average scores, which isn't very interesting IMO. As far as stats on your club distances/dispersions or your rates of scrambling and so forth, those are best averaged over lots of rounds anyway. How many holes a given round contributes to the overall averages doesn't really matter.

I am trying to use GG perhaps for more than it can/should do. Of course I want to have all the shots included in statistics, but as it messes up average scores then why have that at all? I guess I just have to not look at that...

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges

For me any tracking of average scores is kind of a non-starter anyway because I routinely play rounds on courses with a mixture of Pars. Par 70, 71 and 72 are most common but I also play a Par 69 course a few times a year (although never yet with Game Golf).

While we're complaining about minor annoyances, two of the courses I play have 27 holes and Game Golf forces me to record 18-hole rounds as two 9-hole "rounds" which drives me crazy.

Since my first experience with their support (when reporting a few mistakes about my home course) was outstanding, I suggest you try and tell them about your issues with partial rounds. I am certain they will find solutions quickly.

Since I also play in a lot of Stableford events, I might run into those issues as well. But in those events, I seldom see people have to pick up before they even reach the green. And once you are at least close to the green, you can always tap the wedge on that spot (for a "virtual" chip) or the putter somewhere on the green, which should give you at least something very close to the correct score.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Well if you want to pseudo-finish a hole where you actually picked up, no need to tap phantom shots. You can add in any shots you like, even entire holes of shots, during the post-round editing (assuming you edit your round on the Web interface rather retain the GG app).

Well if you want to pseudo-finish a hole where you actually picked up, no need to tap phantom shots. You can add in any shots you like, even entire holes of shots, during the post-round editing (assuming you edit your round on the Web interface rather retain the GG app).

Problem with that is that your 'phantom shots' suddenly screw up your Strokes gained or other stats!

That's right. For my part, I don't pseudo-finish holes because all I want out of Game Golf is to be able to analyze the shots I actually hit. I never look at the average scores anyway.

But if someone wishes (as mentioned by avrag) to impute shots they didn't actually make, I'm just saying it's easy enough to do that in post-round editing.

P.S. I'm all about the post-round editing as I don't think I've played a round with GG yet that doesn't have at least one shot somewhere that I either double-tagged or forgot to tag. A perfectly tagged round seems as elusive as a bogey-free one!

I realized that I'm coming up on two years using the system and have now put 40 rounds into it (I dont always remember it for 9 hole or practice rounds).

But I realized last night I'm still incredibly underwhelemed with where they are at after two years. Their customer service is *extremely* good at making quick corrections to things like course mapping or round errors. Extremely good.

Boy I just think they are really dropping the ball in terms of "big picture" types of improvements. Their website interface is essentially the same as it was 2 years ago. The strokes gained stats are...questionable in terms of accuracy. They still - admit - that their scrambling stats are just flat out wrong.

And I cant figure out why. Maybe they put too many resources into GG Live? Maybe not having a monthly income stream really limits their resources?

Personally I've only had two minor issues in two years with the hardware. 1 - the tag labels are worn 90% flat and 2 - the port plug/cover came off long ago. I consider this a pretty good success for something that takes the beating GG does.

So I still love it and will continue to use it, I just wish they had come farther.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Agree with Mr. Midnight on all counts. The GG implementation of Strokes Gained is never going to be consistent with Broadie's way of figuring it because of limitations in the GG data.

It's absolutely great at giving the distance/dispersion breakdown with each club in your bag. The Strokes Gained feature is basically capitalizing on the name recognition of Strokes Gained without adding much real insight. I fear that the information provided by GG pretty is now what it's ever going to be.