Game Golf tracking system (merged)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thing happen to my 7 iron.

I have all but given up on GameGolf. I love my PureGrips. But the hole on them is large due to them being put on with an air gun. I keep losing tags. I have bought two sets, and they have sent me a set. I have tried everything from plumbers tape to make the threads larger, to crazy glue. the crazy glue works for about 10 rounds, then I will be missing a tag. Sucks

I liked everything about it except that

Definitely an issue with the Pure Grips. I had them on my wedges early last year and while the thread tape did help, the butt cap part of the grip is so thin/flexible that it pulled right out. I dont really blame either side here, I dont think that GG could make a stem big enough to really work that well.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I dont blame GG at all. I rather enjoyed my run with it. But it was either Pure Grips or Game Golf. I chose to use the grip i prefer (and by a lot) rather than an accessory. I have spent and extra $160 dollars on tags plus two GGs (pre-ordered the first one and bout the live when it came out)

I am pretty OCD about my equipment, and grips are one of those things. So, I had to make a choice.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Have there been any updates in the last few month? Somehow it seems nothing in the presentation of the stats has changed.

You still don't get a decent score card once the round is signed (you have it before you sign it). No trends over time (except for the very basic GIR/FIR/Putts stats). No Stableford scoring.

All these features have been requested for a long time and have a lot of votes on myexperience.gamegolf.com but it seems nothing is happening.

Btw. does anyone know what the 'Vertical View' for the Approach Shots is supposed to be?

I saw this:

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/16437124-fix-approach-shots-in-new-vertical-hole-view-in-ap

There have been very few substantive changes to the presentation of the stats in the last year - or two - IMO. Its 95% the same as it was since Day 1.

Still have no idea why they insist on not integrating GIR stats into all of their Approach the Green statistics. They still use this ridiculous 15 yard circle instead of being able to tell you what your GIR % is from certain yardages. Why? They track GIR on every hole already so they know what it is. So why cant we see what our GIR% is from say 150-175 yards? The data is there they just refuse to make changes.

I dont even bother to make suggestions on their website anymore, its pretty clear they dont really use those suggestions for anything.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I think in the first few months they did use the suggestion forum to prioritize the early fine-tuning of the web presentation. But I see no evidence that they intend to improve anything about it at this point.

Seems to me at this point they are just continuing to harvest data that they hope to monetize down the road. I do not think there is any significant revenue stream remaining from the sale of GG hardware. Surely 90% of the people who are ever going to buy a new GG unit have already done so by now.

So they probably don't have tons of resources to spend on web presentation. Just on mobile app geegaws.

That's what we get for buying hardware that's forced to run through a proprietary centralized processing service, with no raw data access. I have quit using mine. Not worth the effort of tagging (minor hassle) and post-round editing (major hassle) just to receive a limited gloss on the data before it is aggregated for the company's use as they see fit.

Their summary of the data is great for seeing club distances and dispersion. If I ever want to try out some new irons I'll tag a dozen rounds with GG to see that info. Otherwise, next to useless on any ongoing basis IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the fact that Game Golf classic is sold out and Game Golf Live is reduced in price likely indicative of a new model coming out soon? Thinking about getting GG but don't really want to pull the trigger if it is about to be superseded by a newer and better model.

FWIW GG live is $150USD ($200AUD) in the US but still $350AUD ($260USD) on their website :(

I think in the first few months they did use the suggestion forum to prioritize the early fine-tuning of the web presentation. But I see no evidence that they intend to improve anything about it at this point.

Seems to me at this point they are just continuing to harvest data that they hope to monetize down the road. I do not think there is any significant revenue stream remaining from the sale of GG hardware. Surely 90% of the people who are ever going to buy a new GG unit have already done so by now.

So they probably don't have tons of resources to spend on web presentation. Just on mobile app geegaws.

That's what we get for buying hardware that's forced to run through a proprietary centralized processing service, with no raw data access. I have quit using mine. Not worth the effort of tagging (minor hassle) and post-round editing (major hassle) just to receive a limited gloss on the data before it is aggregated for the company's use as they see fit.

Their summary of the data is great for seeing club distances and dispersion. If I ever want to try out some new irons I'll tag a dozen rounds with GG to see that info. Otherwise, next to useless on any ongoing basis IMO.

I think its just perfect for basically what you just said. They aim it at the never before seen "social aspect" of the online community. But that is not really as useful. I think its perfect for an analysis tool.

New irons or driver or style (you decide for 5 rounds you are going to take 3 wood off the tee of 4 particular par 4s or something)

I think the coolest thing is if you go play someplace special, or someplace you have never been before that you might want to play again, and you can analyze the course, not so much the round. We have two courses in my small town. I live on one of them and play every week 3 times. But the other course has some fun tournaments and scrambles. I don't know the course, so its nice that I have a round on GG there so I can go and familiarize myself with the general layout. There are several courses that I have a single round there, and if I go back, I want to know the place much better than the first time. GG could help me if I used it correctly. Or hell, if I just tag the first shot and don't worry about the rest of them, it mapping and editing software for the round could be a very useful tool.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Since Game Golf arrived on the scene there have been two courses I've played a lot (couple hundred rounds between them, although only a subset were tagged on Game Golf). It's surprising how much you can learn about even a course you're familiar with.

On one of the courses I had the typical hacker's miss pattern. Lots of shots short, the ones that are the right distance are sort of equal left, right or within 15 yards.

On the other, I had as many shots long as I did short. You might think that's a good thing, means I'm taking plenty of club. But those were shots that landed on small, firm greens and then kicked long. Usually into trouble. I scored worse on the course where I was equally long and short.

Kind of makes you think about old advice to beginners and high handicappers to always take one more club than you think you need!

• 2 weeks later...

First ever post, and I'm not even sure I'm in the right forum but I'm having massive issues with my gamegolf and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same. I have the android app and tags. The first couple of months I found no problems and all my stats were updating nicely after I uploaded them, but the last 6 weeks not 1 round has been stored. I've gone through the same process as I always did by uploading the round when I finished but it then just disappears!! No evidence of the round on the app or website. I've tried contacting gamegolf but have had no response. Anyone out there having the same issue?

First ever post, and I'm not even sure I'm in the right forum but I'm having massive issues with my gamegolf and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same. I have the android app and tags. The first couple of months I found no problems and all my stats were updating nicely after I uploaded them, but the last 6 weeks not 1 round has been stored. I've gone through the same process as I always did by uploading the round when I finished but it then just disappears!! No evidence of the round on the app or website. I've tried contacting gamegolf but have had no response. Anyone out there having the same issue?

sorry I can't help you directly, but my experience with gamegolf app was terrible. Their support has been going downhill and with their severe price cut and no mention of new model coming out, I wouldn't be surprised if the company is going belly up or being sold.

OTOH, I've been using golfpad gps tags on my android and it seems to be much better than gamegolf. I'm waiting for the link system to launch so I can leave my phone in the cart.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as i can tell, Game Golf has done absolutely 0 changes to their software since i started using it in June. Their feedback/suggestion page is a broken link now online. All the Pros that were using it haven't played a round with it in almost a year.

I still use my GG, but i wish to heck it was catching on and more features were being introduced. There is a lot more they could do with the stats that aren't being captured. Frustrating...

As far as i can tell, Game Golf has done absolutely 0 changes to their software since i started using it in June. Their feedback/suggestion page is a broken link now online. All the Pros that were using it haven't played a round with it in almost a year.

I still use my GG, but i wish to heck it was catching on and more features were being introduced. There is a lot more they could do with the stats that aren't being captured. Frustrating...

Switch to Golfpadgps. They are much more responsive and their stat is actually useful. I'm waiting for their link system to release so I can leave my phone in cart. (Phone tagging is not that great at this time)

It may be that they have new hardware coming out. Its right before the PGA show (christmas release would make more sense and is what they did with the Live) but Ping releases thier items on their timetable, not christmas. So, who knows.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I still use the classic version and I'm still happy with it. Been using it a couple years now and while it is basic it does all that I need.

My experience with their customer support has always been real good. I've had a couple broken charging port tabs and they send replacements that I got within a few days. Tagging my club is such a part of my PSR that when I forgot to take the unit on a trip I tagged my empty belt several times.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the newest set of features will be aimed at Teaching professionals. I contacted them about any releases at the show and they emailed me back and offered to set up a time at their booth to go over the new exciting features for my students and thier on course performance....

They mistook me as a teaching professional, but that is ok. I do a lot for my golf course and still may be going on behalf of the course i live on as our local chamber of commerce golf tournament is that friday. So i may go and get pictures for the clubs pro/general manager.

"We want to discuss the exciting new features in 2017"

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the Game Golf Live off of Amazon for $140. I will probably return it in the next couple of days due to various problems. Problem 1, the tags are slipping out of my pure grips due to a larger hole. The GG solution is to use super glue at the base of the tag. What happens when I change grips? Problem 2, it isn't tagging correctly. The strokes are getting counted, but when I opened up the round on my laptop I saw several strokes mis-counted as putts (including tee shots). Problem 3, when I start a round on the 10th hole, the app doesn't automatically go to the 1st after completion of the 18th. It cycles back to the 10th, and was only able to go the front side holes if I manually go to the screen that shows f/m/b distances and then advance to the correct hole. Problem 4, after the conclusion of the round, I cannot pull up the hole view. I have to go to a computer to display the hole view. Problem 5, since the unit is connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth, it is a drain on the phone battery.

I'll stick with the Golf Logix app to record my statistics and score.

Game Golf doesn't really work if you have Pure grips. Sure you can kludge it with glue but the system is basically incompatible with certain oddball types of grips.

And as far as I can tell, using Game Golf without resorting to a Windows PC is not strictly impossible but it's such a PITA that it can't possibly be worth it. That's one of the worst things about GG, they bill it as a "sync to your smartphone" deal when in reality you have to use a Windows machine (or something with a web browser and a mouse) to clean up each round and fully analyze the results.

The thing you're having with mis-locating shots and not going to the correct hole is probably a mapping error. Most likely they could fix that particular issue if you contacted customer support but you'd still have the other issues.

I got a lot of useful information from Game Golf over a period of a year or two but it's basically a dead-end, orphaned technology at this point as far as I can tell. Pity, it had great potential.

Game Golf doesn't really work if you have Pure grips. Sure you can kludge it with glue but the system is basically incompatible with certain oddball types of grips.

And as far as I can tell, using Game Golf without resorting to a Windows PC is not strictly impossible but it's such a PITA that it can't possibly be worth it. That's one of the worst things about GG, they bill it as a "sync to your smartphone" deal when in reality you have to use a Windows machine (or something with a web browser and a mouse) to clean up each round and fully analyze the results.

The thing you're having with mis-locating shots and not going to the correct hole is probably a mapping error. Most likely they could fix that particular issue if you contacted customer support but you'd still have the other issues.

I got a lot of useful information from Game Golf over a period of a year or two but it's basically a dead-end, orphaned technology at this point as far as I can tell. Pity, it had great potential.

Thanks for your input. When the original came out a couple of years ago, it looked very promising, but I just couldn't justify dropping $200 at the time. When I saw they had a "live" version and I could get if so cheaply on Amazon, I thought "great". There are just too many problems to attempt to continue to use it.

Does this measure distance to the hole after the hole is completed for statistical purposes and putting stats? How does the strokes gained work if it doesn't compute distances to the hole? Is there a way to indicate less than full shots? Seems the distances stats would be useless without that unless a person only hits full shots.

I would post the link, but if anyone would hit submit it would populate data on my spreadsheet. It took about 5 minutes to set up and email the link to myself. Google forms was really easy to use you can set it up to collect any data you want and it populates a spreadsheet. I will then take that data and paste it into an excel strokes gained file I found a while ago here. I will need to laser distances, which I do anyways, but it's almost infinitely customizable.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news that there are updates to the stats coming. I hope it won't be for the new devices only (they have to find a way to make money of existing customs otherwise their business is doomed).

Currently I am not sure how much I can trust the Strokes gained. I had a very bad round this weekend - 10 shots over my handicap. That included 2 snap hooks of the tee where I had to chip out sideways. 3 occasions where I didn't get out of the bunker on the first try (one was a fairway bunker) and on two of those the 3rd shot either barely made it out of the bunker or I bladed it out and I've ended up further from the hole than before. My putting was horrendous in parts, a 4 part 2x3 putts but somehow I still managed to end up with 1.72 putts per hole (a hole out from the fringe helped). The only part that kept the round together was my approach game - at least that was my feeling.

The SG (compared to my HDC level) has me on -0.15 for my drives and -0.02 for my putting but +4 for my approach game and +2.15 for my short game.

That doesn't make sense. Did the sideway chips after the bad drives count towards the Approach category?

I should have lost 4 strokes alone on the greenside bunkers but yet I've only lost 2.15 strokes on my short game? (Is the holed putt from the fringe making up for that?)

I would imagine that the sideways shots are considered approaches. would be kinda hard for the algorithm to know that the 20 yard shot wasn't supposed to be followed by a putt.... as it just sees the tee shot, followed by the next shot...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Good news that there are updates to the stats coming. I hope it won't be for the new devices only (they have to find a way to make money of existing customs otherwise their business is doomed).

Currently I am not sure how much I can trust the Strokes gained. I had a very bad round this weekend - 10 shots over my handicap. That included 2 snap hooks of the tee where I had to chip out sideways. 3 occasions where I didn't get out of the bunker on the first try (one was a fairway bunker) and on two of those the 3rd shot either barely made it out of the bunker or I bladed it out and I've ended up further from the hole than before. My putting was horrendous in parts, a 4 part 2x3 putts but somehow I still managed to end up with 1.72 putts per hole (a hole out from the fringe helped). The only part that kept the round together was my approach game - at least that was my feeling.

The SG (compared to my HDC level) has me on -0.15 for my drives and -0.02 for my putting but +4 for my approach game and +2.15 for my short game.

That doesn't make sense. Did the sideway chips after the bad drives count towards the Approach category?

I should have lost 4 strokes alone on the greenside bunkers but yet I've only lost 2.15 strokes on my short game? (Is the holed putt from the fringe making up for that?)

Look earlier in the thread. I have explained that several times in this and other threads.

Yes the pseudo Strokes Gained in Game Game is completely screwed up. They can not identify "obstructed" or "recovery" shots which is absolutely required if you're going to use SG to separate out Approach from Tee shot stats. When you chip backwards out of the woods, that is a full stroke or more which should have been charged against the bad tee shot. But GG thinks that is just an Approach shot from the rough that you happened to hit 10 yards and end up farther from the hole than you started.

You can I had their Approach and Tee stats together and the sum is a decent Strokes Gained--Tee to Green approximation. There are similar issues with short game and putting but not as extreme as the recovery after tee shot problem. Also add together their Short Game and Putting stats to get a more reliable combined stat.

I'm curious to hear what they are working on as it seems they have either been in major development mode or not investing time to improving it. It's hard to tell from a consumer point of view.