2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

took the bridgestone ball fitting challenge today...have a few questions

ktbfsu

outdoor launch monitor....in ten swings i avergaged 99.4MPH SS....137.2 mph ball velocity...13.9 degree launch angle......2433 rpms

first of all, i guess those launch angle and rpm numbers are pretty solid. i have a mizuno mp-600 driver, 8.5 degree loft, diamana blueboard stiff shaft. from my limited understanding of launch monitor stats, mine seem pretty close to where you want them to be.

that having been said, i want to improve my ss to the 108 -112 range....and not once in a while, but consistently. my course is very, very wet - even now, in the winter - and it plays looooong. i've only been a member for about 6 months....and while i've heard you get a month or two during which there will be some roll, my experience thus far is that the course is an all carry set up.....there are some par 4's that are in the 440ish plus neighborhood - and a couple of par 5's that are 570ish plus.....thus, being able to carry the ball is very important.

i have two general questions:

i would confirmation that my driver is right for me...i'm a 13 hdcp....i surmise the launch monitor numbers suggest it's in the ball park, but i'm no expert. second, i would like to know if it's in the realm of possibility to gain a full 10 mph on your s.s.......or if a gain of that magnitude is a pipe dream.

regarding that last question, there are three factors to consider:

first, the negative factor:

1. in terms of getting fit, etc, i don't have much room for improvement. i'm pretty much in very good shape....so it's not like i can embark on a physical regimen and make substantial fitness gains. i'm sure i could make some...and i guess i could do exercises designed to specifically to boost s.s (whatever those exercises may be).....but i don't have the massive room for improvement in the area of fitness/strength that a totally out of shape person would have if they decided to whip themselves into shape. obvioulsy, listing "being fit" as a negative factor is sorta ironic - but what i mean by doing so is that i don't have lots of room for easy improvement in the fitness area.

and the two positive factors:

1. i drop kick my driver on practically every drive (80% - 90% of the time). i can still hit it out the ball out there pretty pretty decent even though it's been dropped kicked........i guess because i'm used to doing it. when i was hitting today, the pro and the bridgestone guy were chuckling at me- while it's not like i take a divot with my driver, you really do hear two consecutive sounds through impact when i make my pass - me hitting the big ball and then the little ball. i have some swing flaws that cause me to do it.....specifically, my hips move way too much towards the target on my down swing. as i mentioned, i'm a 13 hdcp. i'm hopeful when i learn to swing the club correctly AND stop bouncing the club into the ball - i will instantly gain some miles per hour in swing speed.

2. i almost stay too much within myself when i swing...i focus a lot on tempo and trying to be smooth. i know those are good things - but my pro and other good players i play with sometimes have to remind me to to dial up the wattage a bit. my thought has always been once i learn to swing the club correctly, and get a reasonably proper move somewhat grooved, then i will start thinking about kicking things up a notch or two within confines of a correct swing and also while maitaining (hopefully) good tempo. in some ways, my sorta muted swing keeps my hip thrust problem from being even worse than it could be.

in sum - does my driver sound about right for me given the launch monitor specs? and, is adding 10 mph swing speed doable?

finally - as far as the ball challenge goes - the bridgestone guy recommended the bridgestone counterpart to the prov1 based on my numbers (blue box). i typically play prov1x's or the bridgestone counterpart to the prov1x (blackbox). if you have the chance to take the bridgestone challenge, i recommend you try it. it was pretty cool experience. thanks for any insights.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some good launch and spin #'s. A lighter and longer shaft will obviously give you more distance but accuracy will be sacrificed. I think the answer to increasing the swing speed by 10mph. is "it depends". There are a lot of factors starting with physical limitations. From there it's all about mechanics IMO. It sounds like you've got some flaws there that are holding you back from more speed. I'll use my buddy as an example. He has a very good swing, good turn and stays very connected. His avg. swingspeed has been measured at 115mph. I've seen him ramp it all the way up to 121mph. on a launch monitor. He can do this because his mechanics are so good. He simply says "All I do is reach a little further back". Messing around that day with him I learned a few things. I was around 105-106 on my first few, trying to kill it. Then I slowed down and concentrated on more width, 108 then 109. I slowed down even more and then fired my hips faster, 110 then 111. Then I gave it everything except my backswing had so much more width than the 105's, it felt like I was not swinging as hard as at 105 but it was 113. Amazing.