Did Hogan pull the handle?

Jobu ·  
JobuJobu Members  1147WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,147 Platinum Tees
did he?
Posted:

Comments

• SilkySilky Members  731WRX Points: 80Posts: 731 Golden Tee
    Yes, but not by independent active arm/hand motion.

In a whipping of a whip, does the mid section of a whip pull the end section of a whip?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AlexCzervicAlexCzervic Members  728WRX Points: 90Posts: 728 Golden Tee
    Yes, nearly everybody pulls the handle at the start. Some/most do it wrong differently, but that is another matter.

AC
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    I will say yes.
    Posted:
  • eightironeightiron Banned  3136WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,136
    Yes he pulled the handle from the ground up . All this pulled the handle babble is made up to baffle the sheep into thinking the guru knows something new about the golf swing
    Posted:
  • hoganfan924hoganfan924 Members  5185WRX Points: 55Posts: 5,185 Titanium Tees
    The club doesn't move itself. Your only connection to it is the "handle." Therefore, define "pull the handle"
    Posted:
  • tylerdurdentylerdurden Members  1261WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,261
    eightiron wrote:

Yes he pulled the handle from the ground up . All this pulled the handle babble is made up to baffle the sheep into thinking the guru knows something new about the golf swing

Please expand!! What do you mean he pulled it from the ground up?

(btw, nice too see a little action in here)
    Posted:

Advertisement

eightiron wrote:

As the transition / change of direction begins the ground up starts from the left foot and the left and right sides separate when the pulling starts , muscles pull
    Posted:
  • tylerdurdentylerdurden Members  1261WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,261
    Awesome good stuff
    Posted:
  • Coat JonesCoat Jones Banned  473WRX Points: 0Posts: 473
    If Mr. Hogan, after transition, kept a 1:1 travel relationship between the depth and width dimension within the process, then there would be both pull and push.
    Posted:
    eightiron wrote:

eightiron wrote:

As the transition / change of direction begins the ground up starts from the left foot and the left and right sides separate when the pulling starts , muscles pull

keith-witmer-crosshatch-sports-ben-hogan-back-swing.jpg

This can be easily demonstrated, may I?. Put yourself into the fully coiled top of swing as the figure above. Now move the left knee toward the target and notice the sequential leveraging of movers upon movees from left knee to left hip to left shoulder to left arm and the club shaft.

And now imaging the tremendous leveraging that occurs when Hogan moved the left hip back as the figure below.

post-100036-12695535487701.jpg

Common you guys. This is too elementary for the regulars in Hogan's Heroes Forum.

Will someone please rekindle the forum with a more exciting topic.

Apology to the OP Jobu. I appreciate your starting a thread and hopefully setting off the firecrackers.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    That's not the "top of swing", it's transition in progress.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Coat Jones wrote:

OK. I put some effort in finding a nice picture.

Now, did Hogan have a "top of swing"? He seemed to be unwinding the lower body while the club still moving up in the back swing.
    Posted:
  • lonestar48lonestar48 Members  189WRX Points: 0Posts: 189
    I believe he only "pulled the handle" to the extent that it timed up with his lower body action, which is clearly the engine of his swing. To me, his lower body/rotation action (on full swings) is always very consistent and powerful, regardless of his age. I believe he figured this out very early.

I believe he then set about discovering his "secret", which was a way to set the club at the top so that he could "pull" almost as hard as he turned/rotated. Remember, when describing his secret, he said that "no matter how much wrist I put into it, the clubface couldn't close fast enough" to hook (or something very similar to that). That statement implies that he was pulling, or at least had that feel.

Here's a great look. I could watch this forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpyAXvIDYw
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
    PING Anser
    Silky wrote:

Coat Jones wrote:

OK. I put some effort in finding a nice picture.

Now, did Hogan have a "top of swing"? He seemed to be unwinding the lower body while the club still moving up in the back swing.

No, one continuous motion throughout- no top, no stop.
    Posted:
    eightiron wrote:

The right arm has the ability to supply a force perpendicular to the shaft(PUSH) right from the top.

AC
    Posted:

eightiron wrote:

The right arm has the ability to supply a force perpendicular to the shaft(PUSH) right from the top.

AC

For sure , but the right elbow is increasing in flexion at that point so it ain't happening for hogan
    Posted:

Advertisement

Yes, nearly everybody pulls the handle at the start. Some/most do it wrong differently, but that is another matter.

AC

The point is that pulling the handle is not babble because there are alternatives.

Cheerios

AC
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.