MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf DF3 Putter Testing | See What Members Are Saying!

Thank you @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf for this incredible opportunity. 

About Me

I’m 38 years old and I’ve been playing golf since the age of 10. My GHIN handicap hovers in the +2 to +4 range, depending on what time of year it is. I’m a golf nut and total gear junkie who pretty much always has 8-10 putters sitting around. The majority of my rounds are played at my home course which is a traditional, old style, tree lined country club layout with mature bent greens. While not overly quick (usually in the 10-11.5 range on the stimp), they roll very true. Putting is the one thing I feel like has always held me back. I’ve won a few amateur tournaments over the years, but not near the amount I feel like I should have. Ball striking and accuracy with my irons has always been my biggest strength, averaging around 14 GIR per round. This leads to a lot of 2 putt pars and creates frustration when I don’t see anything go in. This then can spill over in to the rest of my game. If I know I’m not likely to make the putt, my brain subconsciously says “what’s the point in hitting this fairway, or this green?” I play my best golf when I’m literally excited to get to the green and putt. That feeling has been few and far between for me over the last 4-5 years. My biggest issue currently is inability to consistently hit my start line, especially when it’s a pressure packed putt. I’ve been on a Quintic machine before and it revealed that I had excessive face rotation in my stroke. I’m hoping a LAB putter will help with eliminating that feeling of having to time the rotation up at impact. I have had experience with LAB putters in the past, in the form of a Broomstick DF 2.1 (with steel shaft) as well as an Armlock DF 2.1 (with LA Golf 135 shaft). So I should be able to provide a good comparison between it and the DF3. My current putter in the bag is a Jailbird 380 with the micro hinge insert, playing at 37.5”.

Remote Fitting

This process couldn't have been easier for sending in my fitting video. I used a phone tripod and set it up straight down the line, 2 feet off the ground. Calvin at LAB was able to check my eye position from the video along with proper length and lie angle. He said my eyes were perfectly over the ball, therefore the 37.5" length I'm currently using was my best bet. He determined that a 69* lie angle would work best for me, this is slightly flatter than what I'm currently using. The follow up call with Calvin about these details was a great experience. He was extremely courteous and gave detailed answers to all my questions. I was unsure of what head weight I wanted and explained to me that most players sense that the LAB putters feel lighter in the head due to not having any torque. Due to that fact, we both agreed to go with the "Heavy" head weight option on my build. He also described to me the different feel throughout the various shaft options. Because of the heavier head weight, and the longer shaft length, the stability of the TPT shaft made the most sense. Calvin also explained that the TPT shaft provides more feedback with different strikes, with the Accra shaft being a softer feeling at impact. Finally, we discussed color, alignment options and grip. I already had my mind made up on black with the small "T" alignment. I also was leaning toward the Garsen 17" grip as I don't enjoy the diameter of the Superstroke. He confirmed that the Garsen would have more of a pistol feel, and we were all set.  

My LAB DF 3 Specs

Color: Black

Alignment: "C" (Small T Alignment)

Length: 37.5" Counterbalanced

Lie: 69*

Shaft: LAB Golf x TPT 

Grip: Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Head Weight: Heavy (Calvin said this would put the head in the 390g range) I highly recommend going with heavy, especially in counterbalance model.

IMG-4881.JPG.4519c8095c3240bcba8c9a593f43686b.JPG

Looks

It’s no secret that the DF 2.1 wasn’t exactly going to be winning any beauty contests. The DF 3 probably isn’t either. While it is certainly smaller than the DF 2.1, my playing competitors all commented on how weird it looked. I personally don’t have a problem with the new size and I happen to love the shape as it’s incredibly easy to align this putter behind the ball. The finish on the DF 3 is high quality and appears like it will hold up very well in the long run. The white “T” alignment aid that I went with has a very nice contrast to the black head and gives me tons of confidence when I sit it down behind the ball. There’s also very little manipulation required to get the putter to sit square to the target. Having the counterbalance version, there’s not the same amount of forward press that’s found with the standard-length versions. So, there was very little adjustment period going from my Jailbird 380 to the DF 3. When ordering the counterbalance model, you have the choice between the Garsen Quad Tour 17” or the Superstroke 3.0 17” grips. I’ve never personally been a fan of the diameter of the 3.0 Superstroke grips. I also don’t love the material in which they’re made of. The Garsen has a nice pistol feel to it with a premium feel to go with it. It is black and white in color and looks awesome when paired with the black/white of the TPT shaft and the black head. I’m very pleased that I went with the black head. With the reduced size of the DF 3, you shouldn’t be concerned at all about the looks or footprint. The adjustment period will be minor at worst.

Sound and Feel

Other than shrinking the size of the DF 2.1, this to me is where LAB made the biggest improvement with the DF 3. As you can hear in my videos, my DF 2.1 made a higher pitched sound at impact and the feel to me wasn’t anything to write home about. That is not the case at all with the DF 3. It produces a much duller sound at impact that’s very pleasing to the ears. I love everything about the muted sound and solid feel this thing produces. The same playing partners that commented on the unflattering looks of the DF 3, have also repeatedly talked about how good this thing sounds on the green. I’ve owned countless milled putters over the years, both OTR and boutique/custom, and I don’t hesitate for a second to claim that this putter feels every bit as satisfying off the face. Everything about the strike feels premium. Now whether that is the head, TPT shaft, heavier head weight or all of the above that’s to thank for the feel is something I can’t really speak to. I just know that if you go with this setup that I have, you’ll be extremely happy with how it sounds and feels. I’ve documented in other LAB threads that I just didn’t like the sound of the Mezz or DF 2.1, that’s something I no longer have to declare. They’ve perfected the sound and feel with this model.

DF 2.1 Sound

DF 3 Sound

Performance

In addition to a few hours of indoor putting mat practice, I’ve now got a couple hours of putting green practice and 27 holes of golf with the DF 3. While not enough to formulate a definitive opinion of the DF 3, I’ve learned quite a lot about it and am becoming increasingly confident in the help it can provide me. For starters, I’m a big fan of how the putter looks behind the ball and how easy it is for me to align it to my target. As mentioned in my opening paragraph, alignment and start lines is by far the weakest part of my putting. This putter appears to be already assisting me with both of those issues. I'm also very impressed with the forgiveness of the putter, you can strike this thing pretty much anywhere on the face and see very similar results. I will say however, that I found myself hitting this thing out of the middle on a repeated basis. I love the TPT paired with the heavy head of the counterbalance model. It's just so easy to make the same stroke time and again. The TPT shaft also seems to really take out any vibration on longer lag putts, which I love. I've had other counterbalance putters that on those longer 50' or so lag putts you could really feel the vibration of the head at impact due to the speed at which the putt had to be struck. That's not the case with the TPT and DF 3. Even when you get out to those longer distances and start making lengthier strokes, it feels just as solid as it does at 5 feet. It's obviously debatable whether or not a $400 putter shaft is worth it. I don't think I can answer that, as everyone has different priorities and budgets. I've never bought in to the importance of a putter shaft. But what I can say, is that something does feel more stable and consistent with this TPT shaft. If there was an instance where I would be more inclined to say that the expense is worth it, it would be in a counterbalanced set up with a heavier head such as this. I can't say with certainty that a steel shaft at the longer length and heavy head would have more vibration and deflection on longer putts, but I'm inclined to think that the difference would be noticeable. It took me a while to get my speed dialed in with the DF 3, but that issue seems to be a thing of the past now. I’ve been making all of those slick 5 footers that require you to start the ball outside the hole due to significant break. In my first 27 holes, I’ve been scaring the hole and burning edges of more 30 footers that I can remember in recent memory. My plan is to refrain from making even as much as a practice stroke with any other putter for at least the next month or so. Completely freeing my muscle memory and brain of the feeling of a “conventional” putter with torque. I think doing this will only continue to improve the results I see with the DF 3. The lack of torque and excessive face rotation in my takeaway seems to be something I had no clue that I needed. I’m no longer having to try and time the face rotation at impact and thus seeing much more consistent start lines. This is the feeling that I’ve been searching for when trying the Mezz and DF 2.1 in the past. Now I’m able to achieve that with a putter that sounds and feels much better in my opinion.

Summary

This putter isn't going to magically turn a poor putter in to Brad Faxon on the greens. But what I can say with confidence is that removing the excessive face rotation from the putter makes creating a repeatable, consistent stroke infinitely easier to obtain. If you've been wanting to try a LAB putter, this is the one truly worth taking the dive on in my opinion. Having never been completely blown away with the Mezz or DF 2.1, this putter has really changed my opinion. I've always been really intrigued by the technology, and completely buy in to the concept, but I've never been able to get past what I perceived to be less than stellar looks, sound and feel. LAB, in my opinion, has address and improved on all of those things. While this putter still looks far from conventional, it did not take long to get comfortable with the look or footprint. It's not overly obnoxious in size and sets up so well behind the ball. If you're a counterbalance user like myself, my one piece of advice would be to opt for the "Heavy" head option when ordering. The lack of torque creates a lighter feeling club head and the heavier head option helps offset that. This set up I have feels so well balanced that it significantly removes all thought from my mind when making a stroke. It almost feels like autopilot. Very rarely do I make a stroke now that feels "off" or "foreign" feeling to the previous one. They all feel the same. That in itself has me excited to see how this putter might help me on the greens throughout the start of this golf season. 

Edited by coreyhr
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Congratulations to all the testers! This is one I'll be watching closely. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Congrats to all the testers! Will be watching this thread intently!

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I am so excited for this opportunity!   It goes without saying that we are all super thankful to GolfWRX and L.A.B. Golf for making this possible.

I sent in a fitting video on Friday, but because I am a chronic over thinker,  I sent another video in this morning just to make sure my set-up was okay.   I've used all stock putters that have been too upright for me,  which has caused my set-up and stroke to get wonky (even moreso than it already was).   So I've been working hard to get into more of a neutral set-up and wanted to double check that with Calvin before we finalize the numbers.  I should hopefully get a phone call from him in the coming days.  For now I go onto L.A.B. Golf's website and build putters and change the color and alignment mark every single time, lol.

I've never even seen a L.A.B. putter in person. I recall when Directed Force came out, I really chalked it up to a gimmick, like so many infomercial style clubs I've seen in the past.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I started to actually learn more about (now) L.A.B. Golf and the science behind the putters.  Once they introduced other models, and I started seeing guys like Erik Anders Lang, BustaJack and some tour pros using them and really doing well with them - I thought,  hmm, there really must be something here.   So I'm super stoked to give this a true go.  The more I've researched and watched videos and gotten to learn about Sam,  L.A.B. and the science behind it, the more excited I am to try it.  The fact that Sam believed so much in the technology and has always kept that faith in the product really says a lot about it.

A quick background about me:

I'm one of those classic "I'd be on tour if it wasn't for my putting"  guys (slightly tongue- in-cheek).  Now it could be a case of the older I get, the better I was, but back when I was really playing I firmly believed my ball striking was at that level. I wouldn't miss many fairways or greens,  but unless I was in gimme range,  I was not making a putt.  That put more pressure on my ball striking, and then you start getting more aggressive,  you start trying to change your swing, you do everything but get better at putting and it leads down a bad path. 

Fast forward to now.  I had gone away from the game (not fully)  for several years and over the past few years have really started to pick it up again.  I spent a lot of time last season working on my game - but my putting has remained violently mediocre.  I've worked a lot on my set-up and stroke which has lead to improving the roll I put on the ball - but I find myself changing how I grip the club every other day.  I keep really fighting the putter.  And it wasn't until recently that I realize a large part of that is the torque the putter is producing.  The head wants to flop open,  and if I don't actively release the putter head, I get a push.   Then with all the putters being too upright for me,  I end up aiming right to account for the pull that happens off the face.   So it's been a mess.   I'm really excited to get a putter that fits and a putter that just wants to stay square.  It takes such a large variable out of the equation so I can simplify and just focus on making a quality stroke.

A huge thanks to @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf for the opportunity to review the new DF3! 

Currently a 5.3 handicap with the majority of my strokes being lost on the green. Looking forward to getting my game in a much better place with the help of our friends at LAB Golf. 

I sent my video fitting into Calvin @ LAB and have gotten the specs figured out. Waiting on a call from him to discuss the other options. 

Will keep everyone filled in as things progress!

Qi10 Max w/ Speeder V7.3S
Sim 2 Ti 15* w/ Diamana BB 73S

Callaway UW 19* w/ MMT 70S

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

congrats guys

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Very sick win ya'll. How they work wonders!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Like the other members chosen have said, and I want to reiterate, a very big thank you to @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf for this opportunity!!

I am very excited to have been chosen as one of the testers of the L.A.B DF3.

Prior to a few months ago, the only thing I knew of the L.A.B. putters was that Adam Scott was using and then Lucas Glover popped up with one. I knew what putting woes he had from short distance. They Camilo won with one and now Will Z is gaming one and he has improved dramatically from close range.

I was at a tournament this past January and a guy I play in the event with who is a very good putter showed up with the Mezz 1 Max. He gamed for a long time the original Spider and dude was solid with that stick. He was dropping everything inside of 15 feet. I started to ask a some questions but he didn’t have the answers I was looking for so I there I was reading as much a could on GolfWRX, watching youtube content about this putter. I was very intrigued and was thinking this putter could definitely improve my game.

I have always been a good green reader and good touch with speed. Up until the last couple of years I wasn’t having any issues from 10ft and in but as age sets in, being 53 now, the short ones are not falling like they used. I still make my fair share but percentages have definitely dropped. My hope is that this tech can bring my percentages drastically higher from that 10ft and in range.

My previous gamer since 2012 was a Scotty Cameron Select GoLo putter. This was my main gamer, with many other stand-ins over the last few years, but this one had been my go-to. Then came some of the putting woes from 10-15ft and in which had me search for something else so I decided to go down to Carlsbad ad got fit for my current gamer, EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel. My 10-15ft and in improved slightly but not where I want to be for sure which started me on my quest for information about L.A.B. putters.

I just sent in my video to Calvin last night so waiting for his feedback on length and lie and then we will talk and go from there on customization. I have always played a heavier putters (Scotty at 34 with 25 gram weights and EVNROLL at 34 and head weight at 380grams) so will probably be going with the heavy option but will finalize based on L.A.B. fitters recommendation.  

Looking forward to getting the DF3 in hand for plenty of practice and on course testing. I have some member guests and other club tourneys coming up so will really put this through its paces and providing lots of feedback. Feel free to reach out once I get some testing in for any questions you all might have.

***UPDATE****

I was able to connect with Calvin on the phone, spent about 30 mins with him, and we discussed in great detail my current setups with my gamers (2012 Golo and EVNRLL EV51.B Mid Slant Hosel) from length, weight, loft and grip size. We also had a great discussion about my short game as a whole as well as current strengths and weaknesses in my putting game. We talked about what he saw in the video I sent and how he fitted my for length and lie to better help my tendencies. Below is what we came up with for this build. 

My LAB DF3 Specs

Color: Blue (Dodger Blue!!!) 

Alignment: "B" (Large T Alignment)

Length: 35"

Lie: 70*

Shaft: LAB Golf x TPT 

Grip: Press II 3º  Textured 

Head Weight: Heavy

image.png.45fc51eed4e8446374cda92f9a056cee.png

Edited by jasman29
  • Like 1

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

I was able to speak with Calvin earlier.     Super nice dude, and really helpful to nail down the final details of the build.  He helped ease my overthinking and provided valuable feedback on options.

I was/am pretty agnostic about the putter shafts.  My main concern was maintaining that line between feel and feedback, not getting too harsh or getting too soft with less feedback.  Calvin said the TPT shaft is probably ideal there,  so that's what we went with.

Regarding weight:  As I understand it,   the torque a normal putter produces is felt as weight by our brains.  I was concerned about the putter feeling too light vs too heavy.  Calvin was again super helpful here.   He mentioned he hasn't had anyone disappointed in going with the heavier option, and if you tend to prefer a slightly heavier feel, it's better to go with that vs. standard weight.

So we ended up with:

Green color
F alignment
35" TPT Shaft
65* lie angle
Press Pistol II grip
Heavier weight

LABPUT.jpg.6433ca6c7a3841da4049fb8c9e38b20b.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations to the testers!  This will be a good one to follow, as i'm seriously considering this model.  I tried the Mezz Max 1 last year and it was ok, but nothing too much better than my current gamer.  But this one has me intrigued. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

51 minutes ago, molecularman said:

I was able to speak with Calvin earlier.     Super nice dude, and really helpful to nail down the final details of the build.  He helped ease my overthinking and provided valuable feedback on options.

I was/am pretty agnostic about the putter shafts.  My main concern was maintaining that line between feel and feedback, not getting too harsh or getting too soft with less feedback.  Calvin said the TPT shaft is probably ideal there,  so that's what we went with.

Regarding weight:  As I understand it,   the torque a normal putter produces is felt as weight by our brains.  I was concerned about the putter feeling too light vs too heavy.  Calvin was again super helpful here.   He mentioned he hasn't had anyone disappointed in going with the heavier option, and if you tend to prefer a slightly heavier feel, it's better to go with that vs. standard weight.

So we ended up with:

Green color
F alignment
35" TPT Shaft
65* lie angle
Press Pistol II grip
Heavier weight

LABPUT.jpg.6433ca6c7a3841da4049fb8c9e38b20b.jpg

Nice choice with the color and alignment :)

My experience messing around with my friends wrong-sided broomstick is that with no torque it did seem to "float" or just generally feel lighter, so it makes sense to me that torque is interpreted as weight to the brain.

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

You get a TPT, you get a TPT, everybody gets a TPT!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Congratulations to all the winners! It is such a cool thing to get a free golf club - particularly one as nice as a L.A.B. putter. 

I hope you all have fun with it, play more golf, and hopefully it helps put a few more balls in the hole for everyone. 

Can't wait to read more about what everyone thinks. 

I appreciate WRX and L.A.B. for their efforts!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

19 minutes ago, rooski said:

Nice choice with the color and alignment 🙂

My experience messing around with my friends wrong-sided broomstick is that with no torque it did seem to "float" or just generally feel lighter, so it makes sense to me that torque is interpreted as weight to the brain.

Hah!  I just saw you added your build.   Great minds I guess!    I was really stuck between a few marks and kept switching every time I built it.   I really liked P and W, but ultimate liked that little extra line on the back without being too busy. 

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

You get a TPT, you get a TPT, everybody gets a TPT!

Was quite the surprise and an incredibly generous gesture by L.A.B. 

• Like 4

Thank you @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf really excited to get started with testing. I will use this as my spot to update as testing progresses. 

Background

My review might be helpful for those in the market for a new putter because until I saw the promotion to be a tester, LAB putters were not really on my radar. I have gamed different putters over the years, but over the last 3 years, I have gamed: Scotty, Ping, Odyssey, SIK, Cobra and Bettinardi.

I always have two golf bags, one I leave at the golf club, the other is in my trunk and ready to go if the opportunity arises. I play off a 3 index.  I am a pretty good putter. Always have been.

A few years ago I realized that while I rarely 3 putted, I also didn’t make enough birdies. Because I never wanted to leave myself a 3-4 foot return putt, I died the ball to the hole and as a result I left a lot of putts short. I figured I could immediately increase putts made by simply being more aggressive on my putting, but that meant I needed to be confident in the come back putt. That revelation caused me to switch from the traditional putter to armlock. 

Truth is, over the last few years I have changed putters pretty frequently. After all, if I missed a 4 foot putt and it cost me money, it was clearly the putter’s fault. 

Recently, I started reading up on all things LAB. Their customization options hit home. I signed up for the remote fitting and ended up ordering the DF2.1 (Armlock) and then ordered another Mezz 1 Max (armlock). The day after I received the DF2.1, I was notified that I was going to be an official GolfWRX tester for the DF3. 

In my review, I will be able to compare the LAB DF3 to the putters I have played most recently which are most of the big name putters. At the same time, I will be able to compare the new DF3 to the previous models, both the DF2.1 and the Mezz1 Max.

IMG_0188.jpeg.e8b8bf190e034d24854b4d93c527b83e.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg.f4906718472506331a74deedcb2dc1ec.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg.4bc685c011a1eecfc5e9a16d582c610b.jpeg

Remote Fitting

The remote fitting was super simple and Calvin is awesome.

I shot the initial videos. We exchanged emails and based on some of my questions he asked to see a couple more videos to confirm some things. After dialing in the numbers, orders were placed. DF2.1 (blue), Mezz 1 Max (orange) and then the DF3 (red).

Since the DF3 isn’t available as an armlock, we discussed the options to best fit my putting stroke. I provided videos of a putting stroke for 3 putters (armlock, wristlock, and standard). 

We decided that for the DF3, we would do something a little different. 

40” length

75 degree lie angle

wrist lock grip

By using this setup the DF3 will only be a couple inches shorter than my armlock putters. It will connect to my lead arm mid-forearm and in my setup, the ball position will be slightly more forward so that the shaft lean allows the putter head to sit flat (giving it the proper loft). 

This will allow virtually no change to my putting stroke and allow for a more accurate comparison of the putters. 

Day 1 - New Putter Arrival

My LAB DF3 Specs

Color: Red

Alignment: Big T Alignment)

Length: 40" Counterbalanced

Lie: 75*

Shaft: White Accra X LAB long

Grip: Superstroke Wristlock 

Head Weight: Heavy

Unboxing - First Reaction

Out of the box, putter had headcover on and that was it. Other than a piece of paper that tells you about taking care of the putter and using oil on the screws to keep the putter looking nice. 

My other LAB putters were on standby waiting for the arrival of their new brother. Looks are obviously personal, but the DF3 is pretty sexy. Not nearly as obnoxiously big as the DF2.1. 

I dropped a couple balls on my putting sim putting green just to stroke a few and immediately felt that the DF3 is right in between the Mezz 1 Max and DF2.1. Meaning the Mezz has a bit harsher feel, the DF2.1 is silky soft. The DF3 is much softer than the Mezz and probably approaching the DF2.1 in terms of how soft the ball feels off the face. 

IMG_1839.jpeg.fd4cb592c84922fdb37ff966bac4b52d.jpegIMG_1843.jpeg.ae694a564231cd7eca95212c7e560bed.jpegIMG_1844.jpeg.8684ac3385b3cf4f3b2ae5c037a8736f.jpegIMG_1846.jpeg.73f51c0b9852c39d875a49436109b2ac.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg.e86984d189c5e7f2137f725dd76eacac.jpeg

Testing Day 1

The putter was originally supposed to arrive yesterday and I blocked the second part of my day so I could get out and do some proper testing. It didn’t arrive until today. I had pretty limited time, but I did run out to the course just to get some time on the real putting green. 

I used all three putters from 5ft, 15ft, random lag putting. With 20 balls, I went through a rotation of putters. Mezz 1 Max, DF2.1, DF3. The practice putting green was rolling at a 10 on the stimp meter. Unfortunately, they are going to be aerating next week, so I will probably need to try and get out there tomorrow for more detailed testing and maybe even a real round of golf. 

Because both of the armlock putters are more upright and also about 2 inches longer, that was obviously a little more comfortable just because I am so used to the setup. With armlock, I know exactly where the putter rests against my arm. I also know that the face of the putter will be exactly center of my stance. 

For the DF3 I wanted to make sure my setup wasn’t causing weirdness on the stroke, so I was pretty particular about the setup routine. I lineup the ball, place the putter behind aligned properly and soled flat. Then I would step in and setup around the putter being soled properly. I didn’t want to lean the shaft too far forward because online armlock putters which have the built in shaft lean, the DF3 with a wristlock grip does not. That means I want the shaft to be more vertical on setup. 

As soon as I realized where the wristlock putter was going to rest on my arm…the setup became super simple. In a couple more sessions it won’t require any extra caution and can adjust to the setup with no problems. 

I was rolling the rock so well with all three putters. I think that based on my initial feel I could game any of the 3 putters without hesitation. This testing could really come down to feel between the putters because I was hitting my line and seeing true end-over-end roll on almost every putt across all three putters. 

Tomorrow, if I don’t to the course, I am going to get all three putters on the simulator so I can see the launch angle, launch angle, and spin rate. That will give me real data I can compare between all three putters. In addition, I will use HackMotion to see if there are any variations in my stroke pattern with the three putters. 

Edited by Drrussell
  • Like 3

Update: Had a nightmare last night that the putter showed up and when I unboxed it, it had the wrong grip. Woke up in cold sweats; I think this putter is a little too deep in my psyche at the moment

• Haha 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

1 hour ago, rooski said:

Update: Had a nightmare last night that the putter showed up and when I unboxed it, it had the wrong grip. Woke up in cold sweats; I think this putter is a little too deep in my psyche at the moment

Golf Nightmares are the worst!   Glad it was just a bad dream!  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Congrats to the testers - sad I didn't make the cut but I love my Mezz.1 so it's ok! For folks who are net new to LAB, I wrote up some tips/lag drills that helped me untorque myself!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

Well, like the others, I want to state that I am extremely grateful to @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf for this amazing opportunity.

So a bit of my backstory. I'm a 7 handicap who grew up playing golf, so I started with a solid foundation. However, between the military and having a young family, I quickly became a weekend warrior. Lack of practice time definitely shows in my short game, and especially putting. 

I have been able to get out more often in the past year or so though, and even went down a rabbit hole going through a gamut of putters to find what worked best for me (roughly 15-20 various brands and models including some torque"less" examples). I made a thread on the journey and results on here for anyone that's interested, but I ultimately ended with a Sik Flo C as my gamer. 

At the very "end" of things, I did pick up a DF2.1, but it wasn't the correct spec for me. However, the instant I started my first take away with it, I nearly laughed out loud on how completely effortless it felt. Immediately I was intrigued, and knew there might be something to this Lie Angle Balance thing. 

I nearly purchased another DF2.1 in my correct specs if it wasn't for the elephant in the room, which also seemed to be the size of an elephant... Like many others, my vanity and eyes ultimately persuaded me out of pulling the trigger on it. 

Seeing the DF3 when it finally dropped, I knew it had the potential to be a crowd approving game-changer. All the technology, benefits, and claims rolled into a new condensed package. 

All that being said, I just had my fitting with Calvin, and the whole process was a showcase of knowledge and efficiency. He did an amazing job walking me through each option and it's benefits/differences as it relates to my suggested specs from the video fitting. 

We ended up with the following:

- 33.5"

- 70° Lie Angle

- Heavier Head 

- TPT Shaft

- Press II 3° Grip

- Cappuccino Color

- "R" Sightline

Screenshot_20240228-020059.png.e6fd16d8ddd9c516135ab39af20eb057.png

I'd be lying if I wasn't on the fence about the color, but I tend to like more muted colors and didn't want to just get black. Although, I think I'll be having nightmares like @rooski but over wondering if I picked the right color! (Did I pick the right color!?)

Obviously, more to follow, but I'm very excited about what the DF3 could offer as it comes in. 

Edited by Hunteruu
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Hunteruu said:

Well, like the others, I want to state that I am extremely grateful to @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf for this amazing opportunity.

So a bit of my backstory. I'm a 7 handicap who grew up playing golf, so I started with a solid foundation. However, between the military and having a young family, I quickly became a weekend warrior. Lack of practice time definitely shows in my short game, and especially putting. 

I have been able to get out more often in the past year or so though, and even went down a rabbit hole going through a gamut of putters to find what worked best for me (roughly 15-20 various brands and models including some torque"less" examples). I made a thread on the journey and results on here for anyone that's interested, but I ultimately ended with a Sik Flo C as my gamer. 

At the very "end" of things, I did pick up a DF2.1, but it wasn't the correct spec for me. However, the instant I started my first take away with it, I nearly laughed out loud on how completely effortless it felt. Immediately I was intrigued, and knew there might be something to this Lie Angle Balance thing. 

I nearly purchased another DF2.1 in my correct specs if it wasn't for the elephant in the room, which also seemed to be the size of an elephant... Like many others, my vanity and eyes ultimately persuaded me out of pulling the trigger on it. 

Seeing the DF3 when it finally dropped, I knew it had the potential to be a crowd approving game-changer. All the technology, benefits, and claims rolled into a new condensed package. 

All that being said, I just had my fitting with Calvin, and the whole process was a showcase of knowledge and efficiency. He did an amazing job walking me through each option and it's benefits/differences as it relates to my suggested specs from the video fitting. 

We ended up with the following:

- 33.5"

- 70° Lie Angle

- Heavier Head 

- TPT Shaft

- Press II 3° Grip

- Cappuccino Color

- "R" Sightline

Screenshot_20240228-020059.png.e6fd16d8ddd9c516135ab39af20eb057.png

I'd be lying if I wasn't on the fence about the color, but I tend to like more muted colors and didn't want to just get black. Although, I think I'll be having nightmares like @rooski but over wondering if I picked the right color! (Did I pick the right color!?)

Obviously, more to follow, but I'm very excited about what the DF3 could offer as it comes in. 

I was really considering that color and mark.  Good choice(s)!

Out of curiosity, were any of the testers able to get the DF3 in a broom option? I know that they aren't available yet to the public, but am keen to know if they had that option available to the testers and if anyone went that direction?

Edited by taylor2325

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tour AD-DI 6S
Titleist TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS 4G 80S
Titleist T200 3 Iron - Tour AD-DI 85S
Titleist T100S 4 - Project X 6.0

Titleist T100 5-9 - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM7 Raw 46* - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52*M - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 58*T - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP 2

Titleist Pro V1

8 minutes ago, taylor2325 said:

Out of curiosity, were any of the testers able to get the DF3 in a broom option? I know that they aren't available yet to the public, but am keen to know if they had that option available to the testers and if anyone went that direction?

Broomstick wasn’t an option yet.  Counterbalance was the only “non-standard” type setup available. 

• Thanks 1