2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf DF3 Putter Testing | See What Members Are Saying!

Hello all you DF3 owners, I could really use a favor.  I'm still waiting on my putter to finish production and deliver.  In the mean time I'm looking at some alternative head covers.

Would anyone of you with a DF3 mind measuring the overall dimensions of the head.  Basically the "face width", "face thickness", "depth from face to back" and finally "face to center of shaft"

Thanks in advance!

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

1 hour ago, dbdors said:

Hello all you DF3 owners, I could really use a favor.  I'm still waiting on my putter to finish production and deliver.  In the mean time I'm looking at some alternative head covers.

Would anyone of you with a DF3 mind measuring the overall dimensions of the head.  Basically the "face width", "face thickness", "depth from face to back" and finally "face to center of shaft"

Thanks in advance!

Face width: about 4.25”

Face thickness: nearly 1”

Depth from face to back: about 4.25”

Face to center of shaft: about 1.5”

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

• Like 2

My experience with the DF3: excellent. I have been a long time user of the DF 2.1, and love the LAB Golf products. To me, the DF 2.1 was the smoothest rolling putter I have ever used. I’ve tried the Mezz, the Mezz Max, the Link, the original blade style, and while they all are great, nothing had the feel and forgiveness of the DF 2.1. 

I was most curious if they could achieve that similar DF 2.1 feel in the DF3. I can resoundingly say “yes they did”. 

I have a DF 2.1 in a stock steel shaft, and I bought a DF3 in a stock steel shaft for comparison. 

Side note: to me, putter shafts are not going to help you make more putts, but they will give a different feel, just my take. 

The DF3 gives that pure LAB Golf roll, and feels very similar to the DF 2.1…I would use the word “firmer” in regards to feel compared to the DF 2.1, but feel can be subjective. 

Forgiveness is on the same level of the DF 2.1. 

The DF3 is much smaller in the bag, and it looks better behind the ball…much more compact and modular. I especially like that on shorter putts. 

I could tell right away the DF3 felt lighter (I got the standard head weight) than my DF 2.1, and it did not have quite as much of that “swinging itself” vibe…still was good, but a tick down from the DF 2.1 on that swinging itself motion. 

I contacted LAB Golf about the weight of the DF3, and they advised that the “heavier” option is 15-20 grams heavier. Due to the smaller size of the DF3, it inherently will have a lighter weight. So, the “heavy” option is not a massive amount heavier, but it may be a good option for those that like the DF 2.1 weighting. 

I have the original OG 3.0 grip on my DF 2.1, and like that firmer rubber feel. That said, the Press Pistol 2.0 is adequate. They have several diff grips, comes down to personal preference. 

The DF3 is a winner in my book, and I could see myself switching. IMG_1176.jpeg.21a2df52aa3ce8fd0f420314f9120381.jpeg

IMG_1174.jpeg.9a4483a70d02bef0e94ddc97cdca0e0b.jpegIMG_1177.jpeg.c627c9aa17a797ca21a2e86c206afcd8.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rod Dandy said:

Face width: about 4.25”

Face thickness: nearly 1”

Depth from face to back: about 4.25”

Face to center of shaft: about 1.5”

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

Excellent, I knew I could count on you guys!!

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S

Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

How about Wesley Bryan leading in his first tour start with the L.A.B. putter in the bag!?   Hoping he can pull off the win and get his tour card back!

I've had a little more practice time with the DF3.  I have never been one to use a line on ball, but I thought to try it with the DF3.  So far I am having really good results!    From 10ish feet and in its really feeling automatic. 

With the F alignment mark,  it's been so helpful to ensure my face angle is right. I've been hovering the DF3 over the ball, just slightly behind and using my dominate eye to see the line on the ball and continue that line to the alignment marks on the DF3.  When I get the putter angle dialed in, I hold that position and go.   My make rate inside of 10 feet has gone way up!

On 3/25/2024 at 6:50 AM, mstuewe said:

which shaft offers tighter dispersion and distance control?

TPT

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Finally catching up on this thread after a busy work month - absolutely love the reviews so far!  Curious - how did everyone decide on their alignment aides?  With 33+ (+ because you could actually combine multiple options), it was probably very hard to choose!

Also, @Hunteruu - I absolutely love that cappuccino - I hope you are warming up to it nowadays!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

13 hours ago, mstuewe said:

have you measured this or is it perception?  For $400 bucks I am hoping to find someone who identified a measurable difference.

Was wondering the same thing - I think the TPT technology is pretty neat, but $400 is pretty steep. 

38 minutes ago, ChrisATL said:

Was wondering the same thing - I think the TPT technology is pretty neat, but $400 is pretty steep. 

My opinion... The TPT is manufactured identically from shaft to shaft which makes it easier for LAB to balance the putters.  It's helps them but maybe not you as much. It'll provide a different feel but some may or may not think that's better. 

LAB uses Dynamic Gold X100 shafts that have been tipped so the basic steel option is already going to offer really low torque, be super stiff, and be very consistent. 

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, 03trdblack said:

My opinion... The TPT is manufactured identically from shaft to shaft which makes it easier for LAB to balance the putters.  It's helps them but maybe not you as much. It'll provide a different feel but some may or may not think that's better. 

LAB uses Dynamic Gold X100 shafts that have been tipped so the basic steel option is already going to offer really low torque and be very consistent. 

Great stuff - thanks @03trdblack!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

LAB uses Dynamic Gold X100 shafts that have been tipped so the basic steel option is already going to offer really low torque, be super stiff, and be very consistent. 

Interesting.  My new 2.1 definitely has an x100 then but my older one has a stepless shaft.  The older one feels very different and I prefer it. (both work just as well and I go back and forth as one is a little more upright than the other (69 vs 71))

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

9 hours ago, B_of_H said:

Interesting.  My new 2.1 definitely has an x100 then but my older one has a stepless shaft.  The older one feels very different and I prefer it. (both work just as well and I go back and forth as one is a little more upright than the other (69 vs 71))

As I understand it, they used to have KBS shafts but then switched at some point. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

As I understand it, they used to have KBS shafts but then switched at some point. 

I think it had to do with the number of rejects they were getting.  If the shafts don't meet their initial QC standards, they reject it as it will make it too hard/impossible to lie angle balance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Yup - I have a friend with an old mezz and its a KBS shaft.  

2 hours ago, molecularman said:

I think it had to do with the number of rejects they were getting.  If the shafts don't meet their initial QC standards, they reject it as it will make it too hard/impossible to lie angle balance.

Thats my understanding as well - makes sense given the technology / concept.

• Like 1

I’ve tried several of the DF 2.1’s….for my taste, I somewhat preferred the old stock steel KBS shafts versus the current True Temper stepped stock steel shafts. Splitting hairs, but the old stock steel shafts seemed to feel a touch smoother. Everyone likes something different though and has their own tastes. 

On 4/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, dbdors said:

Thanks in advance!

If you find a headcover that fits, please let us know. First thoughts were that the included headcover was super well built but that’s not the case. After a couple of months, the fabric holding the magnets is wearing away. I may have another round or two before they come out of the headcover. 

image.jpg

• Sad 2

Is it fair to say that the DF3 (and LAB putters in general) fare better with a straight-back-straight-through stroke rather than an arced stroke? 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

37 minutes ago, geesecougar2 said:

Is it fair to say that the DF3 (and LAB putters in general) fare better with a straight-back-straight-through stroke rather than an arced stroke? 

Because it's balanced to the lie angle,  there really isn't a difference there in terms of needing more or less toe hang vs. face balance.   It is perfectly suited to any stroke type.

Edited by molecularman
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2024 at 12:20 PM, Edub11 said:

I dont love any of these, but I suspect all of these should/would fit:

Headcover

Headcover

Headcover

Headcover

Headcover

Headcover

Hatch Golf is now producing center shaft mallet covers for their headcover releases. Sackd Golfing Co also produces LAB specific shaped covers (LAB Putter Covers – Sackd Golfing Co). And LAB themselves just did a release of a Masters themed headcover and have more in the works coming soon.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, lopey986 said:

Hatch Golf is now producing center shaft mallet covers for their headcover releases. Sackd Golfing Co also produces LAB specific shaped covers (LAB Putter Covers – Sackd Golfing Co). And LAB themselves just did a release of a Masters themed headcover and have more in the works coming soon.

But still no DF3

On 4/26/2024 at 12:52 PM, lopey986 said:

Never heard of either of these - pretty wild designs.  Thanks for sharing! 

Not sure if this was addressed, but for any of the testers, it seems like mostly everyone went with the TPT - any reasoning for that choice? Have yall hit any of the other shaft choices before choosing? 

1 hour ago, ChrisATL said:

Not sure if this was addressed, but for any of the testers, it seems like mostly everyone went with the TPT - any reasoning for that choice? Have yall hit any of the other shaft choices before choosing? 

It's one of those things where L.A.B. was generous enough to offer the upgrade; so why not go with the highest end offering? 

In all honesty, I was pretty agnostic about shafts. I have only used steel shafts in my putters, so I wouldn't know any better.  When speaking with Calvin I told him I'd like a softer feel while retaining feedback.  He suggested that the TPT was probably the best option so that's what we did.  In terms of "stability shafts"  as I understand it, the Accra shafts are the softest feeling.  The TPT shaft is suppose to be very consistent, very straight and very stiff while maintaining some good feel and feedback.

I could have very well loved the plain old steel shaft version.  I really have no idea how much feel or performance changes there.   But I will say I really love the DF3 TPT combo.

Edited by molecularman
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, molecularman said:

It's one of those things where L.A.B. was generous enough to offer the upgrade; so why not go with the highest end offering? 

In all honesty, I was pretty agnostic about shafts. I have only used steel shafts in my putters, so I wouldn't know any better.  When speaking with Calvin I told him I'd like a softer feel while retaining feedback.  He suggested that the TPT was probably the best option so that's what we did.  In terms of "stability shafts"  as I understand it, the Accra shafts are the softest feeling.  The TPT shaft is suppose to be very consistent, very straight and very stiff while maintaining some good feel and feedback.

I could have very well loved the plain old steel shaft version.  I really have no idea how much feel or performance changes there.   But I will say I really love the DF3 TPT combo.

That’s great feedback @molecularman - I’m leaning Accra at the moment but maybe I should consider the TPT

• Like 1