2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf DF3 Putter Testing | See What Members Are Saying!

34 minutes ago, Drrussell said:

Here are the two head covers side by side. The DF3 does fit into the DF2.1 headcover with no problem, but it’s loose.  Looking at the covers, I much prefer the tighter fit of the DF3 cover, but you definitely have to make sure the head is all the way pushed in so that the magnetic strip clicks. 

IMG_1871.jpeg.710a6ae1a33da72c2705c565588fbbda.jpeg

Thanks for checking. Would definitely be a pretty loose fit. I think if the magnets in the DF 3 cover were just a smidge further toward the face, it would close much easier. I just have to stretch the two flaps just a little bit to reach them. Again, I fully expect the leather to loosen up and that get much easier with use.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

4 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Fantastic picture...and video!    

Love what I hear from sound.   How far was that 2nd putt guessing maybe 15 to 20 feet?    I won't ask how many takes it took...LOL  Well done!

Thank you sir. 

Surprisingly I made it the first putt then when I putt the camera down it took two more to make it again 😂😂. It was about 15 foot I’d guess. 

• Like 1

Qi10 Max w/ Speeder V7.3S
Sim 2 Ti 15* w/ Diamana BB 73S

Callaway UW 19* w/ MMT 70S

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

2 hours ago, ccape0328 said:

Thank you sir. 

Surprisingly I made it the first putt then when I putt the camera down it took two more to make it again 😂😂. It was about 15 foot I’d guess. 

66% from 15 feet!   Anyone would take that any day of the week.   If Scottie putted at that rate, he'd win every major by 10 shots 😉 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

We played in our weekly Thursday night scramble this evening so I spent some more time behind the putter with more sunlight.  Rolled the ball well but I will say that I did struggle to see the alignment mark with the platinum head color some this afternoon. 

If I were to do it again I would go with black, green, blue, etc so the alignment mark would show up better.  Just my .002 cent.

• Like 2

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

14 minutes ago, ccape0328 said:

We played in our weekly Thursday night scramble this evening so I spent some more time behind the putter with more sunlight.  Rolled the ball well but I will say that I did struggle to see the alignment mark with the platinum head color some this afternoon. 

If I were to do it again I would go with black, green, blue, etc so the alignment mark would show up better.  Just my .002 cent.

How do you think platinum would be if you are a person who likes no alignment mark. I’m thinking platinum or black. 

If you don’t like an alignment or want something subtle I think you’d like it. 

I normally aim with the face but it had me lining up left with this putter (I think because I’m having to have the putter so far forward in my stance). The only way I’ve found some success is to use the alignment aid. 

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

11 hours ago, ccape0328 said:

After getting mine outside, I was definitely glad I went with black. Just a really good contrast with the white T alignment aide. I think I probably could have done red or blue as well, but the black with the TPT shaft and Black/White Garsen grip looks so good. 

• Like 2

Well - it looks like I won't be getting to the golf course today.    The deer came out to show their support.

Regarding the putter,  I'm really impressed with how spot on the fitting process is/was. They are specific in telling you to use your golf shoes for a reason. I was putting at home (barefoot) and for some reason just not feeling that comfortable with the setup. I put on some shoes and immediately felt way more locked in.  Just a small difference there, but it made all the difference.  I thought that was interesting.

20240322_080217.jpg.7b0ccd9a4960074d4600f379cf239c48.jpg

As I stated earlier on this thread I have 2 x DF3's. The main differences are shafts, Accra and TPT. And lies, 75* and 71*. I can roll the ball just as good with either one of them. That's just how good they are. And the feel/roll off the putter face just gives you so much confidence.

IMG_5175.jpg.2a87fa6052753d980445f2a5950387eb.jpgIMG_5173.jpg.df7b3f0131e7fc28d8a328b76d1a9827.jpg

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Funny how a putter like this can make you realize that you can't read greens as well as you thought.  🤔  Maybe that's been the issue all along with your old putter?  I know my MEZZ has made me realize I was offline 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

53 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

Funny how a putter like this can make you realize that you can't read greens as well as you thought.  🤔  Maybe that's been the issue all along with your old putter?  I know my MEZZ has made me realize I was offline 

exactly.  Most people manipulate the face on breaking putts and play too little break.  If you get a lab and use it properly you'll probably realize eventually you were under-reading putts your whole life.  

• Like 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TM BRNR 13.5* hzrdus gen4 black 6.5 70g 43.75"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

On 3/19/2024 at 7:26 PM, Hunteruu said:

Finally got this out in the sun for a few initial rolls! I'll do a more in-depth review soon, but since I believe I was the only one to choose the cappuccino color, I wanted to showcase it for others to see... to say the least, it's an interesting color that seems to cross between brown, copper, red-ish, even some pink-ish hues. Honestly, it may need to grow on me, because it doesn't flatter me as much as I had hoped. 

PXL_20240319_212859580_MP.jpg.153d22e55408787a98faf39f3cc60614.jpg

PXL_20240319_212846501_MP.jpg.1e06ebe66fdf3da4da572df1c95f59db.jpg

PXL_20240319_212833280_MP.jpg.8acd0960f2af8e4ac49c75af490c8ce0.jpg

PXL_20240319_212840150_MP.jpg.4de96479e275ec5b3f213aac1ad9d22a.jpg

Did you request the shaft graphics to be facing forward?

On 2/21/2024 at 4:29 PM, Drrussell said:

Thank you @GolfWRX_Official and @labgolf really excited to get started with testing. I will use this as my spot to update as testing progresses. 

Background

My review might be helpful for those in the market for a new putter because until I saw the promotion to be a tester, LAB putters were not really on my radar. I have gamed different putters over the years, but over the last 3 years, I have gamed: Scotty, Ping, Odyssey, SIK, Cobra and Bettinardi.

I always have two golf bags, one I leave at the golf club, the other is in my trunk and ready to go if the opportunity arises. I play off a 3 index.  I am a pretty good putter. Always have been.

A few years ago I realized that while I rarely 3 putted, I also didn’t make enough birdies. Because I never wanted to leave myself a 3-4 foot return putt, I died the ball to the hole and as a result I left a lot of putts short. I figured I could immediately increase putts made by simply being more aggressive on my putting, but that meant I needed to be confident in the come back putt. That revelation caused me to switch from the traditional putter to armlock. 

Truth is, over the last few years I have changed putters pretty frequently. After all, if I missed a 4 foot putt and it cost me money, it was clearly the putter’s fault. 

Recently, I started reading up on all things LAB. Their customization options hit home. I signed up for the remote fitting and ended up ordering the DF2.1 (Armlock) and then ordered another Mezz 1 Max (armlock). The day after I received the DF2.1, I was notified that I was going to be an official GolfWRX tester for the DF3. 

In my review, I will be able to compare the LAB DF3 to the putters I have played most recently which are most of the big name putters. At the same time, I will be able to compare the new DF3 to the previous models, both the DF2.1 and the Mezz1 Max.

IMG_0188.jpeg.e8b8bf190e034d24854b4d93c527b83e.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg.f4906718472506331a74deedcb2dc1ec.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg.4bc685c011a1eecfc5e9a16d582c610b.jpeg

Remote Fitting

The remote fitting was super simple and Calvin is awesome.

I shot the initial videos. We exchanged emails and based on some of my questions he asked to see a couple more videos to confirm some things. After dialing in the numbers, orders were placed. DF2.1 (blue), Mezz 1 Max (orange) and then the DF3 (red).

Since the DF3 isn’t available as an armlock, we discussed the options to best fit my putting stroke. I provided videos of a putting stroke for 3 putters (armlock, wristlock, and standard). 

We decided that for the DF3, we would do something a little different. 

40” length

75 degree lie angle

wrist lock grip

By using this setup the DF3 will only be a couple inches shorter than my armlock putters. It will connect to my lead arm mid-forearm and in my setup, the ball position will be slightly more forward so that the shaft lean allows the putter head to sit flat (giving it the proper loft). 

This will allow virtually no change to my putting stroke and allow for a more accurate comparison of the putters. 

Day 1 - New Putter Arrival

My LAB DF3 Specs

Color: Red

Alignment: Big T Alignment)

Length: 40" Counterbalanced

Lie: 75*

Shaft: White Accra X LAB long

Grip: Superstroke Wristlock 

Head Weight: Heavy

Unboxing - First Reaction

Out of the box, putter had headcover on and that was it. Other than a piece of paper that tells you about taking care of the putter and using oil on the screws to keep the putter looking nice. 

My other LAB putters were on standby waiting for the arrival of their new brother. Looks are obviously personal, but the DF3 is pretty sexy. Not nearly as obnoxiously big as the DF2.1. 

I dropped a couple balls on my putting sim putting green just to stroke a few and immediately felt that the DF3 is right in between the Mezz 1 Max and DF2.1. Meaning the Mezz has a bit harsher feel, the DF2.1 is silky soft. The DF3 is much softer than the Mezz and probably approaching the DF2.1 in terms of how soft the ball feels off the face. 

IMG_1839.jpeg.fd4cb592c84922fdb37ff966bac4b52d.jpegIMG_1843.jpeg.ae694a564231cd7eca95212c7e560bed.jpegIMG_1844.jpeg.8684ac3385b3cf4f3b2ae5c037a8736f.jpegIMG_1846.jpeg.73f51c0b9852c39d875a49436109b2ac.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg.e86984d189c5e7f2137f725dd76eacac.jpeg

Testing Day 1

The putter was originally supposed to arrive yesterday and I blocked the second part of my day so I could get out and do some proper testing. It didn’t arrive until today. I had pretty limited time, but I did run out to the course just to get some time on the real putting green. 

I used all three putters from 5ft, 15ft, random lag putting. With 20 balls, I went through a rotation of putters. Mezz 1 Max, DF2.1, DF3. The practice putting green was rolling at a 10 on the stimp meter. Unfortunately, they are going to be aerating next week, so I will probably need to try and get out there tomorrow for more detailed testing and maybe even a real round of golf. 

Because both of the armlock putters are more upright and also about 2 inches longer, that was obviously a little more comfortable just because I am so used to the setup. With armlock, I know exactly where the putter rests against my arm. I also know that the face of the putter will be exactly center of my stance. 

For the DF3 I wanted to make sure my setup wasn’t causing weirdness on the stroke, so I was pretty particular about the setup routine. I lineup the ball, place the putter behind aligned properly and soled flat. Then I would step in and setup around the putter being soled properly. I didn’t want to lean the shaft too far forward because online armlock putters which have the built in shaft lean, the DF3 with a wristlock grip does not. That means I want the shaft to be more vertical on setup. 

As soon as I realized where the wristlock putter was going to rest on my arm…the setup became super simple. In a couple more sessions it won’t require any extra caution and can adjust to the setup with no problems. 

I was rolling the rock so well with all three putters. I think that based on my initial feel I could game any of the 3 putters without hesitation. This testing could really come down to feel between the putters because I was hitting my line and seeing true end-over-end roll on almost every putt across all three putters. 

Tomorrow, if I don’t to the course, I am going to get all three putters on the simulator so I can see the launch angle, launch angle, and spin rate. That will give me real data I can compare between all three putters. In addition, I will use HackMotion to see if there are any variations in my stroke pattern with the three putters. 

I have to admit, we have been spending a lot of time together recently. I really wanted to dislike her because I was dating this sexy orange headed beauty, I am afraid that the relationship is advancing beyond my original intent. Yes. She’s a little shorter. Yes. she doesn’t have as much to hold on to with that silly wrist lock grip. However, when I see every putt rolling end-over-end…she really gets me going.

IMG_1879.jpeg.9d8a0a170a317fc68fd8b7b176a8b019.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drrussell said:

I have to admit, we have been spending a lot of time together recently. I really wanted to dislike her because I was dating this sexy orange headed beauty, I am afraid that the relationship is advancing beyond my original intent. Yes. She’s a little shorter. Yes. she doesn’t have as much to hold on to with that silly wrist lock grip. However, when I see every putt rolling end-over-end…she really gets me going.

IMG_1879.jpeg.9d8a0a170a317fc68fd8b7b176a8b019.jpeg

Stroke so good you gotta have a smoke 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have been following this closely and am glad to see someone picked up the platinum color.  I have done a bunch of DIY club work but never felt the need to do paintfill, would it be too difficult to just change the color of the alignment aid? Also unless it's some weird visual illusion with the colors why do the alignment aids not match on SEP's red and blue clubs?? 

36 minutes ago, kobes31 said:

I have been following this closely and am glad to see someone picked up the platinum color.  I have done a bunch of DIY club work but never felt the need to do paintfill, would it be too difficult to just change the color of the alignment aid? Also unless it's some weird visual illusion with the colors why do the alignment aids not match on SEP's red and blue clubs?? 

To add to this, I went with blue. (They messed up my order and forgot to install my TPT shaft) played one round with it and told them when they corrected it to go ahead and swap me out for a platinum. It’s not that the blue looked bad, I just didn’t love the contrast against the greens. 

2 hours ago, kobes31 said:

I believe they are different alignment marks.   The blue is the J mark.  The red putter likely was ordered when they offered slightly different versions.  It looks more like the M alignment mark without the leading edge line.

I bet it'd be super easy to change the color on them.    I was actually half tempted to go to yellow on mine for a Masters theme.   I think L.A.B. should jump on that bandwagon and release a limited edition green and yellow version 😄

3 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

Have you tried aim point??

I have. Doesn't work for me. Plus I believe I can read greens pretty well.  It's my eyes that are fooling me. I aimed to what I thought was online but it wasn't. 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

6 hours ago, kobes31 said:

Also unless it's some weird visual illusion with the colors why do the alignment aids not match on SEP's red and blue clubs?? 

Yeh they must have changed them between orders. When I ordered the red one that alignment option at the time was #9.

When I got picked to do the review that option was then a "J". Looked the same because they were not side by side. I didn't even notice the difference until the blue one arrived. 

I do prefer the one on the blue putter better. Just a little tighter.

IMG_5175.jpg.d224e41024488654d1702f82dd049810.jpg

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

9 hours ago, kobes31 said:

The alignment lines aren’t milled like most putters. They are laser engraved on to the putter. So there is no paintfill on LAB putters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coreyhr said:

The alignment lines aren’t milled like most putters. They are laser engraved on to the putter. So there is no paintfill on LAB putters. 

That's a good point.  There is a slight etch there,  with the more simple alignment marks and some tape you could probably get away with it.   But I think to standard way of filling it in, then wiping off would just wipe it all away.

Have played a few more rounds with the putter. I’m having a really hard time getting speed down which has led to 3 putts. Gotta keep chugging along. 

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid
Cobra King Tour 5-PW

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58
Lab DF3 Putter

On 3/22/2024 at 7:30 AM, HackinNut said:

Couldn't agree more. It is shocking to me how many putts I'm missing with a perfect end over end roll that I just misread. I've mentioned it a few times in my review but one nice thing is that missing putts like that gives me more confidence, not less

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

On 3/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, SEP1006 said:

As I stated earlier on this thread I have 2 x DF3's. The main differences are shafts, Accra and TPT. And lies, 75* and 71*. I can roll the ball just as good with either one of them. That's just how good they are. And the feel/roll off the putter face just gives you so much confidence

How would you compare the feel of the TPT vs the Accra given that you have almost exactly the same putter otherwise.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1