2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Hoofer Vantage -- disable retractible strap?

e-man

I seem to remember reading a thread at some point where someone had figured out a way to disable the retractible strap mechanism on the Hoofer Vantage. I've done quite a bit of searching and can't seem to find the thread. So, I'll ask the question.

Does anyone know if you can disable the retractible strap mechanism on the Hoofer Vantage? If so, how? If you can find the thread and post up a link, that would be great.

e

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='e-man' post='2126909' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:54 PM']I seem to remember reading a thread at some point where someone had figured out a way to disable the retractible strap mechanism on the Hoofer Vantage. I've done quite a bit of searching and can't seem to find the thread. So, I'll ask the question.

Does anyone know if you can disable the retractible strap mechanism on the Hoofer Vantage? If so, how? If you can find the thread and post up a link, that would be great.

e[/quote]

Might have been my comment.
I have not looked at the Vantage lately, but believe it is no different than my *fixed* Freestyle.

The *retraction* mechanism is no more than an elastic cord. All I did was cut the cord, and
the retraction problem was fixed. Looking at the top of the bag, I also needed to cut the *collar*...
just a slice...to get the strap from not being *flipped over* and pulling on the collar.
This will make sense when you look at your bag where the strap comes out at the club-end.
If this new flap (the slice to release the top of the strap) seems as it might be a problem,
a little fabric glue, or hot glue should hold it nicely in its place.

Also, I seem to remember at least one Ping bag that had this retraction at [b]both [/b]ends of
the strap, so it may not be as easy if the bottom of the strap is not anchored to bag in some
fashion, other than with the elastic (doubtful, but possible). I don't remember which bag had this...
er, um,...feature...so it *might* be the Vantage.

Does the Vantage give you access (usually through the largest side pocket) to the interior of the bag?
This will help seeing what's really there.

Hopefully this makes sense. I will try to get a look at a Vantage in the next couple of days,
to make sure this will work, or what needs to be done, if any of this does not make sense.

Oh, the *fix* takes less time to do, than it takes to read this post . :)

Rich

Thanks Rich. That must have been your post I was thinking of. I don't have the bag yet, and whether I will buy it will depend on whether I can get rid of the retractable straps. So, at least with respect to the top end of the primary strap, when you cut the cord, what keeps the strap from sliding back into the slot. I assume it can only come out so far because there must be a piece at the end of the strap which prevents it from sliding out through the slot, but what prevents it from slowly sliding back in. It's probably not an issue, but just curious.

As for whether there is an access zipper to get into the bag near the bottom of the bag, I'm pretty sure there is, but I haven't looked in a while.

Let me know what you find out. Thanks a ton for your help.

e

[quote]So, at least with respect to the top end of the primary strap, when you cut the cord, what keeps the strap from sliding back into the slot. I assume it can only come out so far because there must be a piece at the end of the strap which prevents it from sliding out through the slot, but what prevents it from slowly sliding back in[/quote].

Yeah, there is a piece of plastic at the end of the strap (that the cord tied in to),
that just seems to hold at the collar. I carry all the time, and never had the strap move,
and never thought of it til now....but, if I guess if it was sliding back into the bag, in a way I found
annoying, I think I would just tape/glue it to the top to stop the slide.

[quote name='RichB' post='2127822' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:51 PM'][quote]So, at least with respect to the top end of the primary strap, when you cut the cord, what keeps the strap from sliding back into the slot. I assume it can only come out so far because there must be a piece at the end of the strap which prevents it from sliding out through the slot, but what prevents it from slowly sliding back in[/quote].

Yeah, there is a piece of plastic at the end of the strap (that the cord tied in to),
that just seems to hold at the collar. I carry all the time, and never had the strap move,
and never thought of it til now....but, if I guess if it was sliding back into the bag, in a way I found
annoying, I think I would just tape/glue it to the top to stop the slide.
[/quote]

So there must be a piece of plastic attached to both ends of the strap to prevent it from sliding out of the slots. There's no chance that the plastic will break off or slip through the slot? I wonder how the straps are attached to the bag in Hoofers that have non-retractable straps. I will check my Hoofer 2.

I just took apart my Hoofer 2. The ends of both the primary and secondary straps feed into the top edge of the bag. They are fixed. The cannot move out (obviously), but they also cannot slide in. Man, that bag is built like a tank. When you take it apart, you can see how much thought and effort went into making it.

[quote]So there must be a piece of plastic attached to both ends of the strap to prevent it from sliding out of the slots. There's no chance that the plastic will break off or slip through the slot? I wonder how the straps are attached to the bag in Hoofers that have non-retractable straps. I will check my Hoofer 2.[/quote]

On the Freestyle, both ends are fixed (sewn on). The *top* has an additional piece of plastic,
mentioned earlier, to hold the cord. The way it flipped over itself, to hold the plastic, held
in place by the collar, is what caused me to think to *slice* the collar to get the strap to
not pull through the collar, tearing the collar from the bag (if that makes sense).
(by taking the elastic out of play, I moved the anchor point)

The plastic piece is not supporting anything...it just sits there.
FYI...the new 4-under and hoofer c1? have fixed straps that are easily modified...
and don't need any modification to the collar to get the strap to sit properly.

With that said...I did get a chance to see the Vantage today. Uh...the Vantage is the one
with elastic on [b]both [/b]ends of the strap (separate cords). The top is a non-issue, and like
the newer bags requires no modification to the collar.
The bottom of the strap may be a problem. Yes, the retraction cord can easily be removed.
Yes, the strap is fixed to the inside of the bag. However, the way this strap is fixed,
would cause the weight of the bag to be supported pulling at the bottom of the sewing...
as opposed to the top like every other bag I've seen. (wow, this is hard to explain)
Basically, the strap folds over itself at its mount point. Whether or not this is a
problem, I just can't tell.

And, although I've never had a problem with the strap falling back in to the bag through
the slot, it seems to me, a non-issue, as I believe its easily fixed. Without trying...
I could see wrapping some black tape around the strap at the slot, or maybe a (lapel) pin
through the end of the strap, something along those lines.....to make the strap
too big to fit through the slot. (wouldn't take much, and might not even be noticeable).

Please don't hesitate to ask for a different type of explanation if any of this doesn't
make sense. Very hard to come up with easily understandable written terms for what
I'm seeing, and thinking.

Rich