2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Price Waterhouse ads on golf events driving me nuts!

Ty Webb

Why is this old guy following kids into the woods all the time?
I am not sure if this set of ads drives anyone else nuts. :smilie_titty: the ones with the old dude in the bucket hat who always seems to pop up in the woods or rough where there is some kid ready to roll his ball over in the rough or move it when it is in the woods... etc etc... and he is there with some alleged profund life changing lesson in one line, of which not one of the kids appears to grasp. Who is this guy? Why is he following little kids into the woods and brush?? Makes me wonder if this guy is a registered (or possibly unregistered..lol) sex offender cruising for dates at the local muni on juniors day!!!! Oh... and one more thing... doesnt that fu%*ing golf course have a dress code!!!!... those little brats are wearing T-shirts, hoodies, baggy dungarees, and the such in all the ads... GO BUY A GOLF SHIRT AND SOME SLACKS GODDAMIT!! I swear if i gotta see any more of these ads I am gonna start sniffing glue again... :pimp: or worse :) . I think the most annoying part of these ads are the fact that I have to watch them run 162 times during a 2 hour golf tourney!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Charlie... what part of golf slacks or dugarees- jeans dont you get??? Let me know I will be glad to help you out in anyway I can. :) Also I usually only resort to glue when I am broke from losing my $1.50 nassau at the club. :pimp: Glue and night putting are a great combonation... :smilie_titty:

Oh, I understand "slacks" - my dad used to say that instead of 'pants' or 'chinos'.

And my grandpa used to say "dungarees" instead of 'jeans'.

:smilie_titty:

Now if you'd said "trousers", I would have been really worried (or thought you were a Brit.) :smilie_titty:

I'm with you 100%.

Besides the creep factor of the geezer lurking in the woods, apparently with the express purpose of bothering any kids who happen along (you notice how he is always sneaking up behind them?), he's insufferably condescending!

"Hate, my young friend, doesn't get you anywhere."

"Gently, like rocking a baby." (are we sure he's talking about golf here?")

I get what they're trying to do, but jeez!

For starters,the "geezer" is Sandy Tatum;former USGA President.Without men like him,and the volunteer work he's done for golf,the game would be much poorer.You will never earn the right to criticize him or his work.If PW's ads offend you,change the channel.Sandy Tatum is doing what he has done for 50 years,giving back to the game.Can you say that?

For starters,the "geezer" is Sandy Tatum;former USGA President.Without men like him,and the volunteer work he's done for golf,the game would be much poorer.You will never earn the right to criticize him or his work.If PW's ads offend you,change the channel.Sandy Tatum is doing what he has done for 50 years,giving back to the game.Can you say that?

Somebody just got pwned by Mozart....

Thanks for the clarification. I enjoy the commercials too.

Sometimes I wish Mr. Tatum was with my foursome as they are known to do the ole club toss from time to time. Everybody could learn a lesson from him and I bet he has some great stories to tell of the greatest game in the World.

One that really bugs me is the kid sitting there thinking about the next shot. In real life, old guy should say one of two things:

1. Hey, you're in the woods, take your medicine and just punch out.
  2. What? You're sitting down? You're holding up the whole course. Hit the ball!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I can't figure out if the "geezer" is supposed to be a ghost (and if so, why don't the kids run away screaming), or the players' subconscious (and isn't it odd that they all have the same subconscious - an old white guy), or just some guy lurking in the woods. And regardless of which one he is, none of the kids seem the least bit disturbed by his presence. Don't parents still teach their kids not to talk to strangers? And if its just their subconcious, doesn't it worry anyone tht these kids are talking out loud to themselves?

I don't know. Mayber there is a rational explanation. Maybe this is the Narnia Golf Course, and all the kids are used to ghosts and gnomes popping up in the middle of their game and giving them tips. Anyway, it's still a penalty to give or solicit advice about a shot - so aren't those ads promoting violations of the Rules of Golf. (Does that count if it's a ghost or a gnome giving the advice?)

With all due respect, the geezer's identity is never made clear. If the ability to identify Sandy Tatum on sight is a prerequisite for calling yourself a golfer, then I'm an ignorant geezer -- and I suspect many of the others in this discussion are as well. I meant no disrespect to either Mr. Tatum or the USGA (which cashes my membership checks notwithstanding my attitude towards Mr. Tatum's star turn as "Geezer in the woods").

Also, the geezer's identity is not relevant to the commercials, or this discussion, at all. If it was, there would be a little headline that says "Sandy Tatum, the moral arbiter of all golf conundra," or something like that.

Maybe I would like it more if I hadn't seen it every Saturday and Sunday at 18 minute intervals for the last 8 or 9 months.

I too wondered about the ghost/subconscious.conscience thing as well. I also thought that the kid sitting there thinking about his next shot was pretty much in direct contradiction to the USGA's policy on slow-play. Maybe he's supposed to be Ben Crane's inner child?

Finally, what does "PWNed" mean?

No disrespect to the old guy... it absoloutely wouldnt bother me as much if it wasnt on EVERY single station break during a golf telecast. :smilie_titty: Also some of the messages sent are confusing.... like previously noted about some kid sitting on his Word not allowed in the middle of the course... The guy should be saying "lets go kid, hit your ball and move on before the group behind you starts dropping bombs on you".... or the one where he is doubting the kids ability to handle life because he was frustrated at a bad shot... " if you cant handle golf, how are you gonna handle life?" how is this a positive message? I see this as the guy telling the kid that he is not going to be able to deal in life because he got a little pissed... seems awfully condecending!!! WTF? I am surprised the kid doesnt turn around and flip him the bird... or get on his cell phone and call the cops to tell them that an old man is stocking him on the golf course. Also how is some girl in a hoodie and jeans (jean referance for you foxtrot..lol) a spitting image of Bobby Jones because she doesnt roll her ball over in the rough.... heck I know lots of people who dont roll their ball over in the rough who are no Bobby Jones. As the nitwit that started this thread all I can say is it was a silly observation just meant in fun ...to see if anyone else noticed these terribly irritating commercials... those who bark out who the guy is or what he has done...blah, blah, blah... lighten up and have a laugh... :pimp: To all the haters... next round is on me. :)

Pardon my 2 cents worth... my son is 8. he's been playing since age 4. HE UNDERSTANDS everyone of those commercials. When i asked him after each commercial what it means, the answers he gives me amaze me.

It's all about the honor, integrity and life lessons this game teaches you... if you'll allow it to teach YOU.

or the one where he is doubting the kids ability to handle life because he was frustrated at a bad shot... " if you cant handle golf, how are you gonna handle life?" how is this a positive message? I see this as the guy telling the kid that he is not going to be able to deal in life because he got a little pissed... seems awfully condecending!!! WTF? I am surprised the kid doesnt turn around and flip him the bird...

I really hope your just kidding here and not seriously having a hard time understandning this message.

Just in case: Getting pissed because you hit a bad shot is a negative emotion being displayed because your shot didn't turn out how you expected it to. If you get pissed everytime something in life doesn't turn out the way you expected you are going to spend a lot of time being negative. The message is quite simple, anger is not the anser to golf or life. Go figure.

Excuse me Mr Freud... What I am saying is what the guy said is out of line to someone he doesnt even know... if someone pops out of the woods and $hits on me during a round I as most people are going to tell him to go deficate in his bucket hat. Also you ask if I am joking... if you read my post earlier I clearly stae the whole observation is in fun... Had I known the discussion was going to get this cerebral I probably never would have started it. Also... I beleive it is a verrrrrrry far stretch to say that someone who gets mildly upset at a bad shot wont be able to handle life... I dont know of anyone who has played golf who hasnt at least gotten a little steamy on a bad day... if you say you have never been displeased with your game I would have to say either you have zero emotion or most likely you are a liar, heck even that guy Mr Woods gets pissed from time to time and he has golf and life pretty well handled. I play with many guys at my club who get mildly pissed at bad shots and do VERY well in life, very well!!! Cheers... and watch out for creepy guys roaming through the woods...lol

I agree guys. This is just a 'joking around' thread. Some things about commercials bug people, esp. when they're seen what seems to be every 5 minutes. Like that stupid whistle on Wendy's commercials. :)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

No way. I'm not joking around. If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get a definitive answer on whether the "geezer in the woods" is supposed to be a ghost, the subconscous, or a wacky golf stalker!

or, instead, I may go get a doughnut and just chill while reading Cosmo. Mmmmmmmm, dooonuuuttts... drool.gif