2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

My Golf Season

alexthegrrr8

Officially over
Hey All:

First off, I just wanted to know if there were any southerners or Californians that I could live vicariously through??? :)

Well, I woke up to sunny skies here in Southern Ontario so I thought 12* (56*F) perfect weather for a round of fall golf. I headed out to the range first seing that I hadn't touched a club in over a week to see if it was worth golfing. I progressed through the bucket without a hiccup so off I went.

As I got to the course it had gotten qiute cloudy with the threat of rain looming. I thought what the heck and teed off. Well no sooner do I tee off the wind really picked up and it made the conditions as tough as I have seen...almost. Through the front nine I shot +4 with a real brain cramp on the 3rd hole a par 5. I hit a perfect drive into the midle of the fairway, just to chunk my second shot. So I thought..."make-up time". I pull out my 22* hybrid and hit a nice ball just to see it roll into the drink guarding the green. as I finshed the front, the wind picked up even more and a light drizzle started. I stood on the the 10th tee and hit a great drive...downwind. I left myself 25 yds uphill to the green. The hole was 335yds. Well to make a long story short the monsoon hit on the 13th tee, the poor conditions were made much worse. I ended up shooting a +3 on the backside for a 79 overall. I had a chance for no less than 7 birdies...never sunk one.

I'm real happy with that score taking into consideration I've golfed only 3 times (since May 13th when I tore my Achilles). I went through a lot of swing problems since re-habbing but I seem to have a handle on it. For the first time since last Feb I feel like I'm back. My secret...I went back to my effortless, "I don't care" swing. I was told to do this by my guru and a couple of others at the range I frequent. When a couple people including my wife had a sitdown with me. It felt like an intervention really. Also, I stopped reading (truly a real issue if you're laid up...too much info is not a good thing). I decided to make sure I don't head out golfing anymore by unceremoniouly giving my clubs a great scrub and tearing off my grips as I am in club tweak mode. I am very excited about my prospects next season.

To my fellow wrx'ers who can continue to golf throughout the winter months Good Luck and drain a couple of birdies for me.

Hit'em Pure,

Alex

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully feel your pain. I'm in the Chicago area and the course decided to have a 4 man scramble last Saturday. Temp was 41* and the wind was gusting about 30 MPH. Luckily we played consertative and managed a 6 under 66 with no bogies. We actually won but were kinda wind burnt and frozen by the end of the round. I fear that there are not too many rounds left this season. Almost time to hit the Dome for practice . :) Sure wish my daughter still lived in Florida.

Not to rub salt into your wounds, but the golfing weather here in Western Arkansas is near optimal.

My home course went through a major renovation and was reopened before the Spring golfing season in 2005. The course played like a new course. Had several minor cosmetic issues with sod squares, leaky irrigation, etc, but for the most part it played decently. By the time 2006 rolled around the course still didn't play as it should but it was getting better. At the end of 2005, we had a pretty bad drought and little irrigation to the rough on the course. The Spring of 2006 brought some rain, but still not enough. September came and went with little rain as well, however we've been blessed in October with much needed rain.

A year and a half after the renovations and getting the much needed rainfall, our course right now is playing better than ever. The greens are firm and fast, just like I like them. They will hold a ball. The rains have helped keep most of the course green as well. The rough is up and is staying green right now but should go back to dormant as we are seeing our first freeze warnings here. So far, the lowest the temperatures have been in the past two weeks have been right around 35* F at night. The leaves are falling and the colors on the trees are at their peak.

With the cooler temperatures now and a mild Winter in store, I plan to be playing more golf than I ever had before. I've recently passed on renting a cart every time I play and have made a personal promise to myself to walk every time I play until the weather heats up next year.

I promise to drain a few birdies on your behalf this Winter.

Stay in shape over the Winter. Spring will be here before you Northern guys and gals know it.