how do they make sound slots?

wonderbred2nded ·  
wonderbred2ndedwonderbred2nded Members  218WRX Points: 73Posts: 218 Fairways
Took a putter of mine to a machining company to get a sound slot put in it but they want to use some sort of machine that cuts with a wire. On all the cameron and ping's ive seen with slots the look as though they are cut with a wheel b/c they are wider on the sole than in the cavity. what machine is used to do this?
Posted:

Comments

• SterlingSterling Members  187WRX Points: 0Posts: 187
    I am under the impression they use a vertical mill, waterjet or CNC. It has to be a pretty precise cut.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • danattherockdanattherock Members  3558WRX Points: 136Posts: 3,558 Titanium Tees
    Call Kevin, he knows. He is finishing up my Rife Antigua now. I had thought about having a sound slot put in, but changed my mind after reading up on the subject. But he for sure knows about them as he provides this service himself.<br />
    <br />
    www.putterplating.com for anyone not familiar with Kevin
    Posted:
  • funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members  2212WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,212 Platinum Tees
    Like this. (courtesy of Byron's web site.)54.JPG
    Posted:
  • danattherockdanattherock Members  3558WRX Points: 136Posts: 3,558 Titanium Tees
    Cool picture man! Nice to see how it is done.<br />
    <br />
    Dan
    Posted:
  • HuxHux Members  148WRX Points: 0Posts: 148
    There is a few ways to do it. What the machine proposed was using EDM - electronic discharge machining. It would be very effective for the purpose - basically spark erosion of the metal. Very neat cut - never done it but magnaporting on a rifle barrel is done with EDM.<br />
    <br />
    Water cutting or laser cutting is also an alternative.<br />
    <br />
    The traditional way is using a circular cutter - almost like a circular saw blade for timber in any form of milling machine....CNC or manual control. The pic above uses a circ because in a formed piece it is easier to clamp the head face down in a machine head. If you set up a jib you could also use a slot drill (end mill) to punch down through the sole to effect the cut.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.