2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Overswing and Reverse spine

Hello,

It seems like you have a nice section here and i want to try it :D . I am 22 years old and have about 14,2hcp right now, i have played for 2 years and really love the sport. Right now i have a few problems, i have an overswing that i think leads to reverse spine angle. I hit pretty good down to 8-7i, when i hit 6i and down i often get heavy shots and very low, distance is often bad too.

I come a bit outside and can pull shots but that is not the biggest problem, i also overswing/reverse spine more the lower the club is.

I have a few swing movies, i have recorded on my own so the angle may be off. I have more swings if needed

6i DTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84PPqyPSPM4

6i Face On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=denX5ctP1DU

Driver DTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjPt0_Ohg8

Driver Face on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2aTcw_5fE

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='LaggingBehind' timestamp='1413982555' post='10331615']
You have a nice swing but it may help you to work on getting a deeper right hip in the backswing. Feel the tension it creates over the inside of the right leg. Hopefully this will be a simple feel for you to maintain your spine angle.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
[/quote]

Interesting, i know i have a bit to bent left knee, next time i am on the range i will look into this.

Thanks

Hi Trip,

Welcome to WRX (firstly). I can give you some ideas - there are professional instructors who have videos and guidance galore as you're probably aware. I'm a golfer with about 45 years of lessons learned so I can give you at least a push start.

If it were me personally, what I would work on most is first understanding the setup and grip and THEN learning two things once I had that much (a good setup) in check.

1) Keeping the hands and grip traveling right in front of the sternum really deeply into the backswing - as well as having them travel together again for as much of the through swing as possible. This doesn't mean the right elbow is locked up or that the wrists don't hinge -- to the contrary they have to. It simply mead the turn of your body around your spine carries this hands-in-front-of-chest idea for as much as you can while in that address spine posture back as deeply as you can, and again through as deeply as you can.

2) To accomplish this - you need the feel and trust that goes with turning around your spine. The shoulders are like the upper wheel on that axle, and the hips are the lower wheel. You don't want the axel or the wheels wandering around much at all. There are actually two tilts to the address spine - the forward bend from your waist as well as a very slight upper body tilt away from the target. As that club travels in front of the sternum, the right hip turns a little back and away from the toe line. This gets you sort of loaded up into the right thigh, instep, heel area. This will allow you to stay in-posture from address and your upper back will land a touch farther from target than the tail bone would be.

Putting all this together allows you to then flow back down to the ball. It will probably feel a little "wider" with the arms going back - and more rotational with the hip. If you keep your "wheels" about where they started from and just turn around them -- you won't be long and high handed with the arms in the backswing and end up at the top with your upper back so vertical. From where you are up there its harder to avoid swinging "down" steeply versus through the ball rotationally and along the plane.

Hope at least something in all this is found useful and that its taken in the spirit its given. Lots of pro instructors here on WRX who will hopefully happen along and offer more and better your way.

Best to you and again welcome to WRX.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1414002903' post='10333811']
Hi Trip,

Welcome to WRX (firstly). I can give you some ideas - there are professional instructors who have videos and guidance galore as you're probably aware. I'm a golfer with about 45 years of lessons learned so I can give you at least a push start.

If it were me personally, what I would work on most is first understanding the setup and grip and THEN learning two things once I had that much (a good setup) in check.

1) Keeping the hands and grip traveling right in front of the sternum really deeply into the backswing - as well as having them travel together again for as much of the through swing as possible. This doesn't mean the right elbow is locked up or that the wrists don't hinge -- to the contrary they have to. It simply mead the turn of your body around your spine carries this hands-in-front-of-chest idea for as much as you can while in that address spine posture back as deeply as you can, and again through as deeply as you can.

2) To accomplish this - you need the feel and trust that goes with turning around your spine. The shoulders are like the upper wheel on that axle, and the hips are the lower wheel. You don't want the axel or the wheels wandering around much at all. There are actually two tilts to the address spine - the forward bend from your waist as well as a very slight upper body tilt away from the target. As that club travels in front of the sternum, the right hip turns a little back and away from the toe line. This gets you sort of loaded up into the right thigh, instep, heel area. This will allow you to stay in-posture from address and your upper back will land a touch farther from target than the tail bone would be.

Putting all this together allows you to then flow back down to the ball. It will probably feel a little "wider" with the arms going back - and more rotational with the hip. If you keep your "wheels" about where they started from and just turn around them -- you won't be long and high handed with the arms in the backswing and end up at the top with your upper back so vertical. From where you are up there its harder to avoid swinging "down" steeply versus through the ball rotationally and along the plane.

Hope at least something in all this is found useful and that its taken in the spirit its given. Lots of pro instructors here on WRX who will hopefully happen along and offer more and better your way.

Best to you and again welcome to WRX.
[/quote]

First off all thank you.

My main language is swedish so a bit hard to understand some words but i think i got some of it.

I know that i have a bit strong grip, but i would say i don't hit more draw/hook then fade/slice, thats why i haven't really changed it. In the setup i have changed alot.

1. I don't really see what you mean. Do you want me to get flatter with less wrists?. Do you have any example?.

2. The tilt at adress, that i would say i have. Right shoulder is lower than the left one. I tent to aim a bit right because of the pull shots, and i am aware of that. About the upper body tilt to the ball, this one i have had alot of trouble with and i am still working on it.

I am sorry for my bad english and understanding.

You're welcome.

1; Try keeping the hands, arms, and grip moving together right in front of your chest for a long as you can in the backswing and even the downswing.

2. Here is a link for address and setup in case it helps.

[url="http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/AddressSetup.htm"]http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/AddressSetup.htm[/url]

:wave:

Went to the range today, was working on geting the club,grip hands infront of the chest in the backswing. grip less stong and overswing/reverse spine. Played a few hole and hit better than before, not much heavy shots.

Got some new clip with better quality. I also have DTL, Face On with j8 and fw5.

6i DTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXHV663IDEk

6i Face On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le3nOJXaW_I