2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Drive slice. Also low irons 4,5.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like your arms are firing before your hips. so your hands are in front and then your hips fire and pull your arms and the club in an out to in motion which puts a slice on the ball. Atleast thats what i see. click pause on the video and stop it periodically through out your swing to see this happening. also a down the line will thow this!

Cobra King LTD Pro - Project X black Stiff
Srixon 545 5-pw - Nippon Stiff
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58 Stiff
Byron Morgan DH89

Hey Jon.

Thanks for sharing. The disclaimer I owe you upfront is that I'm a golfer who has played for 45+ years, has spent a lot of time and money on lessons, has thousands of hours working in front of mirrors/videos/instructors... and basically that's me. I'm not an instructor but WRX has several good ones who can perhaps chime in with more and better ideas than what I will share. So I hope this is taken in the spirit its given. I always appreciate golfer's who share their swings especially when they make it known right up front what they need a little help with.

So here is what I would work on if it were me personally...

For years the whole subject of grip and stance were pretty much concepts to me, more so than translating HOW they mattered or related to what the upcoming swing might produce. In your setup I notice a few things which to my eye begin a sort of chain reaction. So if I could lend any boost at all here, it would be to tie what is happening in your setup to what follows in your swing... and maybe a word or two on why and how it matters. And also to sort of cut to the chase here... I notice a few things not only in your grip and setup -- but there is quite a bit of upper body movement and weight heading more toward your lead leg and foot on the backswing -- much more so than what I personally think would be healthy for your swing.

Looking first at the grip. I notice your hands are turned clockwise on the handle and your right pointer finger is basically unwrapped around the handle. This form of grip can predispose the upcoming swing for a slice. I won't go into a five page essay here about finding a really good grip... but suffice it to say I truly believe this issue is worth exploring. A great grip allows the you to just turn around your spine as though it were an axle. You can then get to the top of the backswing with the right elbow basically under the handle with a little bend in the back of the right wrist. Your left arm can be fairly straight with a flattened left wrist. With the correct grip - the "structure" of the hands arms and handle will form much more easily at the top, and then you can let that whole "unit" travel back down without throwing the club at the ball -- and instead just LET the wrists unhinge through the shot. So the correct grip is HUGE in terms of getting all that to work for you smoothly and effortlessly.

As to your setup and stance... a down-the-line video would help even more with specific comments, but I will include a link for you to check out. There is quite a bit of info inside this and I have to be honest that there are items I don't personally buy into 100%.... BUT it does have some good stuff in the middle sections about getting the body setup well in terms of the vertical lines up from the feet through the body, as well as getting a little upper body tilt away from the target. That is the section I believe would help you most and here is that link:

[url="http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/AddressSetup.htm"]http://perfectgolfsw...ddressSetup.htm[/url]

The last part I will share goes to this whole matter of upper body lean toward the target. In the distance behind there are some windows on one of the houses. If you watch your chest and head during the backswing, you will notice how your upper body sort of inches down and to your left (our right as we view it). One thing you do really well is avoid swaying over your back foot during the backswing. What I would consider doing is to continue NOT swaying, but I would use the improved grip and stance to turn around my address spine and stay in posture. Its likely you will discover one key to doing so would be to let your hips respond to a relaxed takeaway -- and in doing so let the right hip drift straight back from the toe line as you swing the club back with the hands and handle spending a lot of time right in front of the sternum. Another key will be to trust that your head and chest begin the downswing from a little more behind the ball and by staying in posture - that improved grip and unhinging thing will give you plenty of power and consistency. This will also give you a great chance to achieve a nice relaxed width of backswing arc and yet develop that rotationally around your posture at address. (Its seems confusing to have a "wide arc" and a "turn" at the same time, but this is how its done (IMO).

So there it all is from my eye. It can be summed up as grip, stance, swinging around an improved address posture. The will get you swinging less from the point at the top having not turned around your address spine and losing posture before the downswing begins. You should feel the down force pressure more into the right heel and right instep a little more at the top as well this way.

Hoping again that the professionals at instruction can go one better than I just did and that in the meantime at least something shared here gives you a little boost. Best to you out there!

[i]EDIT: Another thing I personally am far from an expert on is a swing philosophy you may have heard of know as "Stack and Tilt". Again, I am NOT the guy to speak about that style of swing. I gave it a go for a little while and struggled - probably because I just didn't relate to it well or listen to and apply it to its fullest. We can call it my "bad" on that front. I did find better success the way I outlined it above. That was me an my swing... we are talking here about you and your swing. To my eye and what I do know of S&T, you show tendencies which may lend itself to that type of swing. Just something for you to look into should you care to explore it.[/i]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1414775062' post='10378971']Hey Jon.

Thanks for sharing. The disclaimer I owe you upfront is that I'm a golfer who has played for 45+ years, has spent a lot of time and money on lessons, has thousands of hours working in front of mirrors/videos/instructors... and basically that's me. I'm not an instructor but WRX has several good ones who can perhaps chime in with more and better ideas than what I will share. So I hope this is taken in the spirit its given. I always appreciate golfer's who share their swings especially when they make it known right up front what they need a little help with.

So here is what I would work on if it were me personally...

For years the whole subject of grip and stance were pretty much concepts to me, more so than translating HOW they mattered or related to what the upcoming swing might produce. In your setup I notice a few things which to my eye begin a sort of chain reaction. So if I could lend any boost at all here, it would be to tie what is happening in your setup to what follows in your swing... and maybe a word or two on why and how it matters. And also to sort of cut to the chase here... I notice a few things not only in your grip and setup -- but there is quite a bit of upper body movement and weight heading more toward your lead leg and foot on the backswing -- much more so than what I personally think would be healthy for your swing.

Looking first at the grip. I notice your hands are turned clockwise on the handle and your right pointer finger is basically unwrapped around the handle. This form of grip can predispose the upcoming swing for a slice. I won't go into a five page essay here about finding a really good grip... but suffice it to say I truly believe this issue is worth exploring. A great grip allows the you to just turn around your spine as though it were an axle. You can then get to the top of the backswing with the right elbow basically under the handle with a little bend in the back of the right wrist. Your left arm can be fairly straight with a flattened left wrist. With the correct grip - the "structure" of the hands arms and handle will form much more easily at the top, and then you can let that whole "unit" travel back down without throwing the club at the ball -- and instead just LET the wrists unhinge through the shot. So the correct grip is HUGE in terms of getting all that to work for you smoothly and effortlessly.

As to your setup and stance... a down-the-line video would help even more with specific comments, but I will include a link for you to check out. There is quite a bit of info inside this and I have to be honest that there are items I don't personally buy into 100%.... BUT it does have some good stuff in the middle sections about getting the body setup well in terms of the vertical lines up from the feet through the body, as well as getting a little upper body tilt away from the target. That is the section I believe would help you most and here is that link:

[url="http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/AddressSetup.htm"]http://perfectgolfsw...ddressSetup.htm[/url]

The last part I will share goes to this whole matter of upper body lean toward the target. In the distance behind there are some windows on one of the houses. If you watch your chest and head during the backswing, you will notice how your upper body sort of inches down and to your left (our right as we view it). One thing you do really well is avoid swaying over your back foot during the backswing. What I would consider doing is to continue NOT swaying, but I would use the improved grip and stance to turn around my address spine and stay in posture. Its likely you will discover one key to doing so would be to let your hips respond to a relaxed takeaway -- and in doing so let the right hip drift straight back from the toe line as you swing the club back with the hands and handle spending a lot of time right in front of the sternum. Another key will be to trust that your head and chest begin the downswing from a little more behind the ball and by staying in posture - that improved grip and unhinging thing will give you plenty of power and consistency. This will also give you a great chance to achieve a nice relaxed width of backswing arc and yet develop that rotationally around your posture at address. (Its seems confusing to have a "wide arc" and a "turn" at the same time, but this is how its done (IMO).

So there it all is from my eye. It can be summed up as grip, stance, swinging around an improved address posture. The will get you swinging less from the point at the top having not turned around your address spine and losing posture before the downswing begins. You should feel the down force pressure more into the right heel and right instep a little more at the top as well this way.

Hoping again that the professionals at instruction can go one better than I just did and that in the meantime at least something shared here gives you a little boost. Best to you out there!

[i]EDIT: Another thing I personally am far from an expert on is a swing philosophy you may have heard of know as "Stack and Tilt". Again, I am NOT the guy to speak about that style of swing. I gave it a go for a little while and struggled - probably because I just didn't relate to it well or listen to and apply it to its fullest. We can call it my "bad" on that front. I did find better success the way I outlined it above. That was me an my swing... we are talking here about you and your swing. To my eye and what I do know of S&T, you show tendencies which may lend itself to that type of swing. Just something for you to look into should you care to explore it.[/i][/quote]

The grip looks strong to me? And like you said, they were turned clockwise, his right palm nearly underneath the grip, if anything that points towards the club face been "closed" not "open".

The position of the right elbow is quite high at set up. I would imagine that if we saw this swing DTL then we would see the left arm underneath the right at set up. Encouraging an out to in swing. I would also say that we would see the shoulders open at address, again encouraging an out to in swing path.

The move towards the target with the body can also change where the pivot is situated in relation to the ball. Move the pivot and it becomes harder to square the club face at impact at also becomes difficult to shallow off at impact at not become to steep into the ball.

the only time I ever slice the ball is is why i take the club straight back for too long, or even take it outside of straight instead of inside, cant tell from your angle, but that's my simplistic 2 cents.

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro's 4-P

Taylormade Sim 2 9 w/ Ventus Blue 5S 

Scotty Cameron Newport

Vokey SM8 48/52/56