2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

swing after first 6 weeks

Hey guys, new to golf and WRX here. This site has been very helpful to me so far in my very short experience with golf!

I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips on my swing? I was struggling for a while with an out to in swing and a slightly open clubface which were both causing a high-and-to-the-right ball flight. I seem to have corrected this as my swing seems far closer to being 'on plane' than it used to, though my clubface is probably slightly too closed in compensation as i often experience a hook now (which i prefer to the slice).

Video:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sqoO6S6K5c[/media]

Slo mo: http://vid.me/04Mq

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is so much wrong with this swing and there are so many things to work on as i've literally just started playing this game, but can anyone point in the right direction to what my first priority should be? Am currently working on weakening grip a little and opening face more during the takeaway/backswing to reduce the hook i'm currently experiencing quite frequently. Can anyone help with anything else??

I know there is so much wrong with this swing and there are so many things to work on as i've literally just started playing this game, but can anyone point in the right direction to what my first priority should be? Am currently working on weakening grip a little and opening face more during the takeaway/backswing to reduce the hook i'm currently experiencing quite frequently. Can anyone help with anything else??

Mr D,

Actually - having played this game for decades now - I wish I had started my golfing life with a swing more like yours than what I started with. Very well done so far!

If it were me - I would read, re-read, and practice based on a book by Ben Hogan called Five Lessons - Modern Fundamentals of Golf. Your swing plane and his are similar.

I believe I would start with the grip. You want the handle to rest enough in the left hand fingers to get the shaft pointing from the ground up through your belt line. You may want to make sure the inside of your right hand trigger finger looks parallel to the clubface's leading edge. This kind of left and right hand grip will support a nice easy swing with plenty of effortless power.

There is a little tendency you have to lay your chin down toward the ball which is going to strain your neck and upper back over time and may be restricting a nice relaxed shoulder turn. Might want to lift the chin a bit at address and let your left shoulder turn under a touch more.

Lastly - I believe I would stick a golf tee in the butt end of the handle and practice making sure it points along the line extending through the ball to the target in the last half of the backswing. Notice how your club moves a little quickly to the inside in your take-away and then the shaft stands up fairly vertically -- that tee drill will help you stay on-plane all the way to the top.

But all in all - if you were to read Hogan's and experiment around with some of the things mentioned here.... no doubt your ball striking will see a little uptick.

Hope there comes a day when a good instructor in your area gets to work with you (if this isn't already happening). Online forums are a lot of fun and along the way some nice tips do come along. But I've found not much in this world is better than three or four good private lessons. Seems like the learning curve is so much simpler and easier that way.

Best to you!

Mr D,

Actually - having played this game for decades now - I wish I had started my golfing life with a swing more like yours than what I started with. Very well done so far!

If it were me - I would read, re-read, and practice based on a book by Ben Hogan called Five Lessons - Modern Fundamentals of Golf. Your swing plane and his are similar.

I believe I would start with the grip. You want the handle to rest enough in the left hand fingers to get the shaft pointing from the ground up through your belt line. You may want to make sure the inside of your right hand trigger finger looks parallel to the clubface's leading edge. This kind of left and right hand grip will support a nice easy swing with plenty of effortless power.

There is a little tendency you have to lay your chin down toward the ball which is going to strain your neck and upper back over time and may be restricting a nice relaxed shoulder turn. Might want to lift the chin a bit at address and let your left shoulder turn under a touch more.

Lastly - I believe I would stick a golf tee in the butt end of the handle and practice making sure it points along the line extending through the ball to the target in the last half of the backswing. Notice how your club moves a little quickly to the inside in your take-away and then the shaft stands up fairly vertically -- that tee drill will help you stay on-plane all the way to the top.

But all in all - if you were to read Hogan's and experiment around with some of the things mentioned here.... no doubt your ball striking will see a little uptick.

Hope there comes a day when a good instructor in your area gets to work with you (if this isn't already happening). Online forums are a lot of fun and along the way some nice tips do come along. But I've found not much in this world is better than three or four good private lessons. Seems like the learning curve is so much simpler and easier that way.

Best to you!

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1429414722' post='11389999']
Mr D,

Best to you!
[/quote]

Wow thanks so much for the detailed response!! I'll definitely check out the book and try to practice the things that you mentioned. I would love to take lessons and definitely plan on doing so in the future, though my current budget doesn't really allow for it at this point. I'll post an update sometime soon with a front on view as well, as i'm sure there is more to be learned from that angle. Thanks again!

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1429414722' post='11389999']
Mr D,

Best to you!
[/quote]

Wow thanks so much for the detailed response!! I'll definitely check out the book and try to practice the things that you mentioned. I would love to take lessons and definitely plan on doing so in the future, though my current budget doesn't really allow for it at this point. I'll post an update sometime soon with a front on view as well, as i'm sure there is more to be learned from that angle. Thanks again!