2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

a few driver swings

Hi guys im new to the forum and this is my first post. Im currently about an 11 handy cap and have been golfing for about 5 years or so. Im a self tought ex baseball swing so i have some baseball tendencies but i practice alot to change that.

Here are my misses. When i miss i usually block or hook my clubs its more drastic with clubs five to driver.i also hit some thin or toe shots. I am very familiar with the golf swing from reading and watching videos. Please be as vague or technical as you wish .

Thanks guys.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to WRX is the first thing I can offer. Nice practice setup there, too.

There are qualified teaching pros around who have more/better ideas than me. This is one golfer reaching out to another here - so all I can give you is what I see and what I would do if it were me personally.

You're young, strong, and can generate a lot of clubhead speed. Well done all those fronts.

But... to me your problems today tend to begin at the beginning - the setup and grip. When I explain what I think - and if you try it -- it won't be comfortable for a while.

I believe what they say about there being a slight amount of reaching with the hands and arms at address - enough so that the hands don't exactly "hang" under the shoulders (there is a very slight reach) but they come close to hanging under the shoulders. I subscribe to the notion that from down-the-line at address, we should see the line of the shaft extending right through the belt line. This places a little more of an angle between the hanging arms and the shaft than you display. That would require a slight grip change - most likely getting the handle more along the base knuckle of the little finger and less angled through the palm of the left hand. I also believe that if we imagined a flashlight pointing straight out of the sternum of the chest that that line would parallel the shaft line. Your chest is pointing higher and up toward the base of the far wall.

You might have to work at getting the video stopped right at impact but you will see that the shaft is pointing ALMOST up to your chest at the moment of truth. Almost everyone has a little bit of the shaft standing up through impact - but in your case because the hands start high - this little issue we all suffer through is made even worse. Once the handle stands up high through impact the heel of the club lifts introducing the toe of the club. So with your irons - you might notice the toe side of the divot is deeper that the heel side.

Also being a little far from the ball is making it hard for the path to be optimal - it will tend to be a little too far in-to-out. So - as a correction you might tend to flip the hands through the shot at times which can lead to hooks -- and when you quiet the hands (or speed up the shoulders/arms then you might get the push shots out to the right. So in my opinion - this explains the toe-bombs, the pushes, and occasional hooks. With shorter clubs - you are forced into being closer to the ball so the issue is less apparent. (Long clubs will not let us get away with things).

Here is a link for you to play around with that describes the whole smash about setup. I wouldn't get overly wrapped up in every technical doo-dad, but I would definitely at least make some overall comparisons about what this says compared to your own setup.

[url="http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/AddressSetup.htm"]http://perfectgolfsw...ddressSetup.htm[/url]

Where you are today does afford you a lot of room to flow the arms back down and through powerfully - but I would at least look at a little different way of moving the club. As said, I personally believe your current setup causes you to be a little too far from the ball. You may think that inching up a little will rob power and deny that room you have to fly the hands/arms hard at the ball. I maintain once your stance is right, you will not lose any speed at all - might even gain a little.

Being so far from the ball - you subconsciously KNOW you have to get the club up behind you - so there is a little tendency (even during your little half-practice swing) for the shaft to point out to right field once the club gets halfway back. Once you get a little closer and in better posture - that club will not need to move that way. At the top of your backswing - that shaft is again pointing out to right field. Its better if it points at or even a fraction left of the target. So the goal would be to not let the club point out to right field - halfway back or at the top. Maybe a tee in the butt end of the club that you make sure points along the target line as the club moves up in the last half of the backswing would help. (worth a try).

From a better posture and grip - the correction I would consider making is a wider backswing... trying to keep the hands and handle right in front of the sternum deeper in to the backswing. (just a thought - might help).

Then I would definitely ease into and out of the transition a bit. I would let the left knee move a bit toward the target and get the right shoulder down and through the shot AND LET THE RIGHT ELBOW get down in front of the belly and the wrists UNHINGE rather than throwing the hands/arms/club down hard from the top. You will know its working when in these videos your right shoulder stays down through impact and your posture doesn't go vertical until deeper in the follow through.

Can't begin to guess without seeing the face-on swing what may or may not to be addressed on that front. There could be a little lack of secondary spine tilt at address or a little sway going on -- but for now I have dumped a truck load on you and need to close this the way I started it...

There are better/smarter teaching pros around who could help you better and faster than me. These are the things I would do and wanted you to know WHY I would do them.

Hope this is taken in the spirit its given and best to you out there this year.

Again - WELCOME!!!