2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

burning belly fat/flab

Eec55

[quote name='BEND OF THE RIVER GC' post='884330' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:46 PM']However, just cutting calories just slows your metabolism. You should be exercising the whole time. If you eat correctly, you can actually add calories (with weight training and cardio) and actually LOSE WEIGHT.[/quote]

if you want to lose fat you need to change/increase your metabolism... exercise is the best way to do that... DIETS DO NOT WORK ... if you're only going to do cardio... long duration (45 min to and hour) is best at the highest intensity where you stay in the aerobic system...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diets do work for most people, because it cuts out the junk they eat, even if they dont fully follow their diet they dont normally put as much junk in their body. Diets like atkins do work, but are they healthy? most likely not but it does work.
Alot of this depends on the person who is trying to lose weight, and how motivated they are to lose the weight as a dedicated person will stick with a weight training/HIIT program and the non motivated person will go back to the good old 45 minute slow cardio and 50 rep dumbbell curls with a 100 situps for 2 weeks

Seriously, I went from 227lbs. to 185lbs, in a matter of 3 months. All I did was weight lifting 3 days a week and Cardio 3 days a week.

I would lift first which is important to do first from, all I have read. Then I would do 20 min. of cardio doing interval training. I would run at a moderate pace for a two min. Then sprint for 1 min, jog for 1 sprint for 1 and so on until I got 20 min in.

Also I completely changed the way I eat. I don't eat any processed sugars, (white flour, white rice, and so on). I load up on protien, and eat only whole wheat carbs. Basically a good rule is if it is manufactured by a process don't eat it. I eat alot of Wheat bread and brown rice, and protien. Not much sugar, the only sugar comes from the bread and the fruits I would eat.

Honestly if you lift you are burning calories while your sitting at your desk, sleeping or watching tv. When you lift your muscle is broken down and it takes about 48 hrs to repair it and you become stronger. The repair is how you are burning calories.

Losing weight is simple, You have to workout to get your metablosim going, and burn more calories than you take in. It's really simple.

[quote name='uncle rico' post='887827' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:39 PM']Seriously, I went from 227lbs. to 185lbs, in a matter of 3 months. All I did was weight lifting 3 days a week and Cardio 3 days a week.

I would lift first which is important to do first from, all I have read. Then I would do 20 min. of cardio doing interval training. I would run at a moderate pace for a two min. Then sprint for 1 min, jog for 1 sprint for 1 and so on until I got 20 min in.

Also I completely changed the way I eat. I don't eat any processed sugars, (white flour, white rice, and so on). I load up on protien, and eat only whole wheat carbs. Basically a good rule is if it is manufactured by a process don't eat it. I eat alot of Wheat bread and brown rice, and protien. Not much sugar, the only sugar comes from the bread and the fruits I would eat.

Honestly if you lift you are burning calories while your sitting at your desk, sleeping or watching tv. When you lift your muscle is broken down and it takes about 48 hrs to repair it and you become stronger. The repair is how you are burning calories.

Losing weight is simple, You have to workout to get your metablosim going, and burn more calories than you take in. It's really simple.[/quote]
Everybody :yes:

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

all the diet advice above rings true with everything i've read. i did body for life for a few months last fall and it was effective.

the exercise advice is right on point as well. the theory behind losing weight via strength training and high intensity interval training is that the exercise boosts your metabolic rate, which remains elevated for several hours after you finish exercising. During that period of time, your body will continue to burn calories at a higher rate than at rest. In contrast, after you finish low intensity steady state cardio (e.g. a 5 mile run), your metabolic rate returns to its baseline and the calorie burning stops. overall, you will burn more calories through HIIT. also easier on the joints than long runs.

i did the sprint for a minute, jog for a minute routine for 20 minutes for cardio for a while and it works. Lately, i have been on the elliptical and increase my intensity every minute for 4 minutes. the last minute is all out. then I start over again. the total cardio workout is 20-25 min. this is the body for life model. sometimes i hit a heavy bag for 3 minutes then do the elliptical for 1 to 2 min then go back to the heavy bag etc. lots of things you can do to keep it fresh. good luck all.

I've found that playing basketball is a killer workout and it will have you panting like a dog in 5-10 minutes. But you need other people to join in though. It's a fun way to loose weight unlike boring machinery.

[quote name='Eec55' post='883871' date='Jan 26 2008, 01:06 PM']trying to get rid of some spare flab from the holidays...does anyone have any success stories on how to burn off that extra belly flab and love handles? i am doing the low carb thing and have lost 6 lbs but want to lose 10 more and have a flatter stomach! thanks.....[/quote]