2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tested Titleist 905R

bigskyman

in AZ desert
Just returned from Scottsdale playing and using both the 905R 9.5* stiff with NV 65 and ProForce V2 ....I have to say that the 905R is a great feeling driver with great launch and distance....previously using 905T with Fuji Pro 26.3....Really did not like the launch and distance...too low spin and launch which affected my distance...

Right now have to give 2 Thumbs Up to the NV65...had one in my 983K but was a little too flexible but in this new head/shaft combo it works great....the Proforce V2 is a great shaft but seemed a bit too heavy and lacked the feel of the NV65....Distance was about the same but had to really work hard with the ProForce V2 to get it to work the same.

Will continue to hit both to see if the rust on my game comes off and my opinion changes about the comparison of the two..........

;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the 905R is more forgiving than previous models....with the bigger head the side spin and off center seemed to fly pretty well....Most of the shots stayed in the green...I had to hit it real bad to get it int he desert.....the NV65 was a bit more foregiving than the V2.....just cause I had to work harder with the V2

They recommended the 75 V2 to me and that is what I took.........But found that it was bulky as well as had a very large butt section...much larger feeling than NV65...very big......felt like a baseball bat in comparison...

I did not try the 65 as it was not one that was available...I plan to try it soon to give back the 75 I have...I thought the 75 was right since my swing speed is high (115) and can at time carry 275-280...

I did not try the 65 as it was not one that was available...I plan to try it soon to give back the 75 I have...I thought the 75 was right since my swing speed is high (115) and can at time carry 275-280...

You're swingspeed is the same as mine. Are you able to try one with a Grafalloy Blue S ?? They're under 65 grams but will have the low torque and stability needed for a 460cc head. I'm keen to see what you think of this combo. I'm not a fan of the Aldila's, the ones i've tried seem to feel softer than stated flex.

Did not like the Blue...Really felt like swinging a board....stiffer than stated as far as I can tell...I will say again I was not a fan of NV65 on my previous Titleist head but it seems to work well with the 905R....I was with club pro who has 905T and he did not like the NV in previous heads and he and I hit it on the range doing comparisons and we both agreed that the combo of the NV shaft with this particular head seems to work real good...analyzing and comparing between the two, we both agreed the 905R is at least 5-10 yards longer than the 905T we were both hitting with both shafts, NV and V2.............

I am curious if any one can shed light on how the 905r ball flight bias is as compared to the T and the 983k. i have used the K for about 2 years now and fight a hook with it at times. i only have the T a short time and only hit it at the range since it it still freezing here in the northeast, but it seems to have less right to left tendency. how about the R.

Thks

I just got mine today :kewlpics: 9.5* 44" Diamana 83S. Once I get a chance to go hit it I'll let you guys know.

dbleagleks,

Good call on the shaft. Mine came yesterday and is almost identical:

Diamana 83

44.25"

Mine has different markings than the Diamanas Titleist used last year. Mine is 83 g4"t. Just curious if your shaft has the same marking?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I just got mine today :kewlpics: 9.5* 44" Diamana 83S. Once I get a chance to go hit it I'll let you guys know.

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Mine has different markings than the Diamanas Titleist used last year. Mine is 83 g4"t. Just curious if your shaft has the same marking?

Kevin

My Nike SQ Tour had the Diamana 83 g4"t and it doesn't play the same as the x5ct. I emailed Mitsubsihi and asked them and they said the tip is a little longer and a few other minor details.

I have ordered a 905r with a diamana 83 stiff flex, 44.5" long. My current driver is a 905s with a v2 75 stiff. I am really looking forward to hitting the diamana though. If the diamana 83 is 78grams when uncut at 46", how much will it be at 44.5"?

Pls let us know if your's is with the g4"t markings ie the one with the extended tip section. I suspect it will be given the bore through design.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Kevin

My Nike SQ Tour had the Diamana 83 g4"t and it doesn't play the same as the x5ct. I emailed Mitsubsihi and asked them and they said the tip is a little longer and a few other minor details.

msupl,

Thanks for sharing your research with Mitsubishi. Actually, that was the exact answer I was hoping for. Last years driver didn't have that smooth feel everybody was talking about and I was thinking it was probably just to stiff because of the full bore installation. This new shaft should fix that problem. I am anxious to finally try a Diamana the way it is meant to be played!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Kevin

msupl,

Thanks for sharing your research with Mitsubishi. Actually, that was the exact answer I was hoping for. Last years driver didn't have that smooth feel everybody was talking about and I was thinking it was probably just to stiff because of the full bore installation. This new shaft should fix that problem. I am anxious to finally try a Diamana the way it is meant to be played!

Kevin

Kevin,

Even with a longer tip section (g4"t version), do we know how much konger if a tip? If like the S and T model, the bore through depth will be 3.5 inches. is the addtional tip length of the g4"t enough to cater for the 3.5 inch so that it will play like a x5ct version in a standard bore length of 1.5" (which I reckon means the additional tip length of the g4't should be at least 2 inche more)?

What I'm trying to get at is if I am comfortable with a g4't stiff in my Bridgestone J33R460, then I am assuming that given the 3.5 inch bore depth of the 905 which is 2 inches more than the J33R 460 bore depth of 1.5", I should go with a regular flex instead of a stiff flex in the 905R.

Any value in the above logic seeing that the overall flex, butt/mid section stiffness etc of the stiff and regular diamana will be a little different?

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel

Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Kevin

msupl,

Kevin

Kevin,

Even with a longer tip section (g4"t version), do we know how much konger if a tip? If like the S and T model, the bore through depth will be 3.5 inches. is the addtional tip length of the g4"t enough to cater for the 3.5 inch so that it will play like a x5ct version in a standard bore length of 1.5" (which I reckon means the additional tip length of the g4't should be at least 2 inche more)?

What I'm trying to get at is if I am comfortable with a g4't stiff in my Bridgestone J33R460, then I am assuming that given the 3.5 inch bore depth of the 905 which is 2 inches more than the J33R 460 bore depth of 1.5", I should go with a regular flex instead of a stiff flex in the 905R.

Any value in the above logic seeing that the overall flex, butt/mid section stiffness etc of the stiff and regular diamana will be a little different?

Hi LionGolfer,

I understand your question, but don't know the answer. I guess I'm a little surprised this shaft is being used in a 1.5" insertion. The first thing we need to figure out before we can make a guess, is whether or not Bridgestone is tipping this shaft for their heads. I don't have a Bridgestone account and don't know who to ask. Perhaps somebody else here will have some answers?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Kevin

msupl,

Kevin

Yea, assuming both are g4ts, the reg. in the R would be close to the stiff in the 33.

Titleist has been using the extended tip versions of popular shafts since atleast the 983s. Not all the models Titleist uses are the extended tip versions though. I know for a fact the Aldila NV is a longer tip version as is the Diamana obv. Last time I asked the Fujis. were the standard tipped versions, therefore playing a little stiffer in the Titleist. Before anyone chooses a custom shaft through Titleist it would be worth a call to Titleist custom to find out if the shaft you want is a standard or extended tip model made for Titleist. This way you make sure you get the flex result you desire.

dbleagleks,

Diamana 83

44.25"

Kevin

msupl,

Kevin

Yea, assuming both are g4ts, the reg. in the R would be close to the stiff in the 33.

That's what I think too but my concern is that the flex properties for the rest of the shaft (mid and butt sections) will still be different in a Regular and a Stiff diamana thus still making the Regular Diamana 905 inserted shaft play SOFTER than a Stiff diamana standard bore inserted shaft. But the regular Diamana 905 inserted will play more tip stiff and have a slightly lower flight I am sure given the stiffened tip cause by the bore through design.

TO be honest I was not that impressed. Don't get me wrong its a great stick, but it's not enough change for me to knock out the 905T. I did like the V2 UST Shaft better than the NV65, but at $650+, just too dear.

I was knocking it around 260 with the 905R. For a comparison I hit the Hogan CS3?? and was only about ten metres longer with the Titleist. Accuracy no different.