2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Driver with most directional forgiveness

millercg

Hello fellow wrx's,

Like many golfers on this site, I can take pretty much any driver I own to the range and hit it fairly straight. As we all know, it's much different standing on the tee box with tree lined fairways, and lots of OB or hazards. I've recently been hitting a Callaway X460. While I love the trajectory and distance this driver gives me, I've been rather wild with it on the course as of late. I can keep taking it to the range and work with it and it will go straight, but as soon as I get it on the course, it's a different story. Some drives go right, some left (trying to correct the ones going right). So, I'm looking for a driver that just wants to send the ball straight, because these penalty strokes are killer.

So, if one isn't concerned about distance, working the ball, or height of the drives, but rather the drivers ability to correct the flight plan of a drive, which would you choose?

HiBore? Mactec NVG2? FT-3? G5? Other?

Lets hear it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have similar issues, but slowly have been getting through it. The approach has been to work on setup, tempo, routine and mental aspects at the range, not beat 100 balls. If I can get to the tee, setup right, swing smooth, and don't think, then good things happen. As soon as I start thinking about what I did on the range, or other useless thoughts, then it all goes south.

It is of no use to your golf game to be able to dial in a driver at the range and get it going straight. All you have proven is the ability to adjust after what 10? 20? balls. You do not have that luxury on the course. You have to step up and hit it. Practice that routine at the range more. Separate practice time when you are trying to groove a new swing thought (or trying to work on some other tweak) from practicing a more real approximation to golf. When you are warmed up, switch clubs a lot on the range, like in real golf. Don't hit 20 Drivers in a row, hit one out of every 4 or 5 shots. Build confidence that you can just take the driver out of the bag, step up and hit it.

As far as equipment goes, it's the shaft, not the driver head that helps keep dispersion tight. I happily gave up a few yards off the tee when I found the shaft that keeps the ball in play.

Yes, some driver heads are obvioulsy more forgiving than others, but the wrong shaft in the most forgiving driver head still results in penalties.

I would have to agree, the sasquatch is the straightest driver I have ever hit. And if you really struggle with accuracy give the Sasquatch a go. But like what was said earlier you will lose a lot of distance. On avg it is a bout 10-20 yards shorter then my 905r but it also produced about 1-2 extra fairways. So what it comes down to is what will help your game more, hitting it out there long, or having more balls in the short grass.

Hope I could help

3puttforpar

I used to have similar issues, but slowly have been getting through it. The approach has been to work on

It is of no use to your golf game to be able to dial in a driver at the range and get it going straight. All you have proven is the ability to adjust after what 10? 20? balls. You do not have that luxury on the course. You have to step up and hit it. Practice that routine at the range more. Separate practice time when you are trying to groove a new swing thought (or trying to work on some other tweak) from practicing a more real approximation to golf. When you are warmed up, switch clubs a lot on the range, like in real golf. Don't hit 20 Drivers in a row, hit one out of every 4 or 5 shots. Build confidence that you can just take the driver out of the bag, step up and hit it.

D-man have you been spying on me at the range? Seriously that describes my current dilemna to a T. Thanks for pointing it out!

I haven't hit any of the newest drivers (HiBore, NVG2, FT-3, SQ, G5) because my Launcher Comp is so easy to hit long, high and straight. Maybe some of the newer offerings are slightly more forgiving but I can't imagine they're much easier to hit straight than the Comp with a shaft that suits you.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

SQ, why do you think it has the highest MOI out there? It is almost stupid straight, which is why I went with the SQ Tour. I still prefer to at least "think" I can work the ball :idhitit:

For those losing distance with the SQ, I'm pretty sure that is due to improper shaft/loft combination. The SQ is by no means a shorter club when it comes to distance. Perhaps it's time for a launch monitor test.

All that have been mentioned are very forgiving. I've hit all of them. Currently own FT3, Cally X and NVG2. Can tell very little difference in direction with any of them. But I have shafts that fit and work in each of them.

IMHGO I believe it has more to do with the shaft. And as stated above, good tempo, balance and not swinging too hard.

Not much help but I firmly believe all of the new drivers are very forgiving.

The shaft issue does make sense, and part of why I'm looking. I've got 2 drivers with NV shafts (Launcher 400, and X460), and both (combined with my swing) are performing the same way for me. I've been getting better consistency with my 983K (with speeder shaft), and my Cobra SZ 400 (stock shaft) drivers. Might be time to try Callaway's driver fitting cart with the FT-3.

Thanks

:idhitit: