2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

In praise of the Bushnell XGC Pro

T.Beau

One of the main courses I play removed their cart gps system, so after some research I went with this little device.

It doesnt seem to get much love, but it is a great little device. Install was flawless, downloading courses couldnt be more simple, it is very fairly priced compared to other devices, very readible in the sun, and very accurate when tested against my pals laser. The only thing I havent figured out is how to best carry it/attach it. I kept it in my pocket but that would cause it to sometimes lose the signal.

They also have a majour firmware upgrade available for the price of postage. One in which you have to send the device in as one time deal. The enhancements/updates are significant so I sent it off for the upgrade.

I dont have practical knowledge of other gps to compare it to, but am happy to respond to any questions.

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1285775638' post='2719855']
One of the main courses removed their cart gps system, so after some research I went with this little device.

It doesnt seem to get much love, but it is a great little device. Install was flawless, downloading courses couldnt be more simple, it is very fairly priced compared to other devices, very readible in the sun, and very accurate when tested against my pals laser. The only thing I havent figured out is how to best carry it/attach it. I kept it in my pocket but that would cause it to sometimes lose the signal.

They also have a majour firmware upgrade available for the price of postage. One in which you have to send the device in as one time deal. The enhancements/updates are significant so I sent it off for the upgrade.

I dont have practical knowledge of other gps to compare it to, but am happy to respond to any questions.
[/quote]

I have one as well and did the upgrade, well worth it. I am also impressed with the battery life and bright color screen.

[quote name='friscoloco' timestamp='1285784724' post='2720133']

I have one as well and did the upgrade, well worth it. I am also impressed with the battery life and bright color screen.
[/quote]

That's great, A dood device made even better. Does the firmware upgrade implement the MicroSD slot?

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

I am still unclear about what advantage the new firmware upgrade provides. I was invited to get the new firmware, looked on the iGolf site, posted questions, but still haven't gotten an answer.

The benefit is supposed to be that the upgrade puts every course in the U.S. on your unit, no computer necessary. But then on the site, iGolf is saying that you shouldn't put more than 25 (?) on the unit because it will cause problems. Also, I asked if the new firmware converts the unit to an annual renewal plan (vs. the $35 for ~100 downloads for a one year period). I mean, why would they give away that revenue stream of the pay per download unless they were replacing it with an annual plan like SkyCaddie, right? Again, still no clear answer. (Also, lots of complaints about malfunctioning units with the new firmware.)

So if someone has the definite terms and benefits of the 2.0 firmware upgrade, I'd appreciate it if you could post them. Thanks. Having all the U.S. courses would be great, but not at the expense of having to pay an annual fee to keep my unit working.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1285798964' post='2720497']
I am still unclear about what advantage the new firmware upgrade provides. I was invited to get the new firmware, looked on the iGolf site, posted questions, but still haven't gotten an answer.

The benefit is supposed to be that the upgrade puts every course in the U.S. on your unit, no computer necessary. But then on the site, iGolf is saying that you shouldn't put more than 25 (?) on the unit because it will cause problems. Also, I asked if the new firmware converts the unit to an annual renewal plan (vs. the $35 for ~100 downloads for a one year period). I mean, why would they give away that revenue stream of the pay per download unless they were replacing it with an annual plan like SkyCaddie, right? Again, still no clear answer. (Also, lots of complaints about malfunctioning units with the new firmware.)

So if someone has the definite terms and benefits of the 2.0 firmware upgrade, I'd appreciate it if you could post them. Thanks. Having all the U.S. courses would be great, but not at the expense of having to pay an annual fee to keep my unit working.
[/quote]

I think the other poster can answer more fully, but i understand all the US Courses are embedded in the unit, and so you dont need to extend your yearly membership past the first year unless you want to update your unit w. changes made to the courses you play or new courses opened which arent in your device or new courses mapped.

Think there are several improvements beyond that. Auto hole advance, better zoom, improved graphics, saves your scores and calculates your handicap, etc.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

I had the firmware change done and it has several nice features. Auto hole advance, better maps and range. The interface is easier as well. Now having said that, having a Mac did present some issues with fix for "sync before X date" and loading the fix for that. Igolf has been great to deal with through the process.

Now as to the $35 annual charge. If you have the courses you play and don't need any more that might be added or there are no changes to your course, you don't have to do or pay anything. Its all in the device with the firmware. If you want detailed maps in addition to front/middle/back, you can load up to 100 per year and actually store 25+ on the device. One you have your map you own it and don't need to resubscribe to keep it.

All in all a very fair approach compared to alternatives. I have compared to various Skycaddies and are with 2-3 yards of them. I am usually closer to range finder and laser yardages than the Skycaddies.

[quote name='jrr' timestamp='1285857535' post='2721510']
I had the firmware change done and it has several nice features. Auto hole advance, better maps and range. The interface is easier as well. Now having said that, having a Mac did present some issues with fix for "sync before X date" and loading the fix for that. Igolf has been great to deal with through the process.

Now as to the $35 annual charge. If you have the courses you play and don't need any more that might be added or there are no changes to your course, you don't have to do or pay anything. Its all in the device with the firmware. If you want detailed maps in addition to front/middle/back, you can load up to 100 per year and actually store 25+ on the device. One you have your map you own it and don't need to resubscribe to keep it.

All in all a very fair approach compared to alternatives. I have compared to various Skycaddies and are with 2-3 yards of them. I am usually closer to range finder and laser yardages than the Skycaddies.
[/quote]

jrr said it best. I will reply to clarify. The upgrade will throw on every course file (Front, center, back and hazards) iGolf has for the US and Canada. These course files are yours to keep forever. Every time you sync the device any changes that were made to these courses are automatically updated on your device. As an active paid member, you can download color course maps for each course you play. I believe it is up to 100 per year of paid membership and the device will hold up to 30 course maps. Once your membership expires it is your choice if you want to pay for another year which gives you access to course maps and the updates to "regular" course files.

[quote name='Demo1' timestamp='1286197829' post='2727260']
What was the turn around time for the upgrade?
[/quote]

They said 1-2 business days usually and said they send them back USPS Priority Mail. I sent mine in last Weds, via PriorityMail it got there Friday (FL to CA), and I see that my online profile already says that I am using vs 2.1 firmware so i bet they've already done the upgrade. I;ll post again when I get notice that it shipped.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

jrr said it best. I will reply to clarify. The upgrade will throw on every course file (Front, center, back and hazards) iGolf has for the US and Canada. These course files are yours to keep forever. Every time you sync the device any changes that were made to these courses are automatically updated on your device. As an active paid member, you can download color course maps for each course you play. I believe it is up to 100 per year of paid membership and the device will hold up to 30 course maps. Once your membership expires it your choice if you want to pay for another year which gives you access to course maps and the updates to "regular" course files.

Ok, I'm still a little confused. What is the difference between the maps I currently have on my unit (before any upgrade, the ones I downloaded with my paid membership) and the ones I will get with the Firmware 2.0 upgrade for every U.S. course? Do the "free" Firmware 2.0 upgrade have the maps with the moveable crosshair:

prod_yardagexgc.jpg

What was the turn around time for the upgrade?

My understanding from the iGolf Firmware "Feed" (sort of a quasi message thread) is that there is now a remote upgrade utility and that you don't have to send the unit in to iGolf anymore:

SnipImage-76.jpg

I had to register from my Firmware 2.0 invitation to get access to this "Feed"/forum. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded yet (aside from the questions I posed here) is the issues posted from people who had upgraded. There were lots of problems early on, but they seem to have worked the bugs out (at least based on the messages posted.)

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Firmware 2.0 unit is now on the Bushnell website and listed as the Yardage Pro XGC+:

http://www.bushnellg...ge_xgc_plus.cfm

prod_yardage_pro_xgc_plus.jpg

Yardage Pro XGC+

Model: 368350

Take your game to the next level with Bushnell's premium golf GPS device – the powerful Yardage Pro XGC+. Pre-loaded with over 16,000 North American golf courses its ready to use out of the box! The 2.2" High Resolution screen gives you distances to any point on the hole in vivid, sun-light readable color. Simple downloadable vibrant color maps provide a "down the fairway" perspective for easier and better course management. No membership fee is required to use this product, and you can update your device at no charge for up to one year. After one year, you may choose to receive future updates by paying for an iGolf membership. Updates are available at www.iGolf.com

Also a flash demo.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

If you more carefully read that feed it indicates that the remote utility is for those already using the Beta firmware and not for those w. the original firmware. The new maps have additional zoom capabilities. The embedded courses only give you front/center/back measurements so those are all at no charge. To get the maps you must be a paid member (at least for one year) and are limited to downloading 100 course maps which are yours to keep even if you are only a member for one year. I guess the unit itself can hold 20 or so course maps. All up it is a really fair system, especially when compared to other units. I cant wait to get mine back.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1286288060' post='2729313']
If you more carefully read that feed it indicates that the remote utility is for those already using the Beta firmware and not for those w. the original firmware.
[/quote]

Crap. Totally missed that.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

If you more carefully read that feed it indicates that the remote utility is for those already using the Beta firmware and not for those w. the original firmware. The new maps have additional zoom capabilities. The embedded courses only give you front/center/back measurements so those are all at no charge. To get the maps you must be a paid member (at least for one year) and are limited to downloading 100 course maps which are yours to keep even if you are only a member for one year. I guess the unit itself can hold 20 or so course maps. All up it is a really fair system, especially when compared to other units. I cant wait to get mine back.
[/quote]

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1286289179' post='2729343']
If you more carefully read that feed it indicates that the remote utility is for those already using the Beta firmware and not for those w. the original firmware.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Overall, kinda complicated. The bottom line is that if you do the upgrade you have to send it into iGolf and they send you back your device which has the same functionality as the new Bushnell XGC+. The XGC+ gives you 45 days to use it (F,C,B and hazard points) before you have to register it for free with iGolf. I think the upgrade utility thing registers the device to you after you get it back from iGolf, I think...

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' timestamp='1286289179' post='2729343']
[/quote]

[/quote]

no worries man. just trying to make sure folks got good info. the iGolf folks have been very responsive. they dont have a way to upgrade the firmware w.o having it sent back in...it's a one time deal. any future upgrades can be done remotely. of course anyone wanting a new device could just buy the latest model. at least i know my firmware is no longer beta..it is vs 2.1

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75