2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Raising Money to start a professional career (mini tour start)

liongolf_ike

any ideas? any expeiriences?
I am going to be graduating this year from school and I am looking at playing on one of the mini tours to get my start playing professionally. Im looking at the Gateway Tour, Professional Golf Tour, and Tight Lies tour. I am just wondering if anyone has any expeireince or insight on how to raise or get some of the moeny to get started. I know i have a few people who may help back me, but I am just looking for some other ideas or insight. Thanks for your help in advance. CHRIS
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the odds of actually making some money as a pro golfer, and the number of people who do/try this every year, I'd say nobody's going to see this as a sound investment. So that leaves you with family $, or getting a job to finance yourself. Probably not what you want to hear but that's the reality.

i understand that i have to put alot of money into this, but i also know of a group of people who want to invest some of their money in me to play, and it is also written off as a tax write off. Ive been told this by them and a few others, but i wasnt sure if any one had done anything else to get some money to start.

I've heard of people having scramble tournaments to raise money for a player....try to find someone with a timeshare condo around where you want to play so you don't have any (or as much) living expense. Try to talk to a course near where you want to live to see if they'll give you practice / playing priveliges in return for picking the range or something similar....bottom line, unless you're rich, you've got to market yourself magically and be willing to live cheap.

Okay, here's my rant on the topic...

If you asked a hundred people about this, 98 would tell you its impossible, too expensive, bad investment.... They're probably right but if you really want to do it, commit to it 100%.

Treat it like as if it were a small business you were trying to start up.

Make an actual business plan for a set amount of time, 6 months, two years, three years, whatever but commit to that. (By the way, 6 months - 1 year isn't enough, you'll only be getting started unless you are really good)

In your plan you need to decide where you're playing, staying, eating.... figure out all the details before spending anyone else's money.

I see you're just out of school. Have you ever worked? How long do people work in the States? 40 hours a week? There's probably alot of people on this site that have actually started their own business and you can bet they worked more hours than that to get it going.

Maybe 60 hours a week playing and practicing would be more realistic.

Also consider what you are willing to sacrifice to give this a go. The guy starting the small business would have to put up his mortgage or sell his nice car and drive a beater for a couple years. You may have to do the same or maybe the sacrifice will need to be time.

If you start out this way and take care of the people who support you, other people will see this and support you as well. Not because you can play or because its a good investment or a tax write-off but because you are worth investing in and not "just another schmuck that finished school and has nothing to do but play golf".

If there are people who support you, either financially or just helping you along, keep them posted on how you are doing. Do a weekly email or phone call to each one to tell them where you are what you are practicing or even just what you are experiencing. By doing this you are showing them you are commited to this and you keep check on yourself that you are practicing/ playing hard and focussed.

Respect the support they give you and remember in the real world (I've only visited this place a few times) - no one owes you anything nor has a reason to care.

If its really what you want to do, who cares about the money? As long as it is your money and you're not bringing the whole family or neighbourhood down with you.

After a couple years or whatever time you set for yourself. You will have either made a living playing golf or worked your tail off and spent a bunch of money. If it doesn't go well you can go to work and make back the money. The money comes and goes. If you go about it in this manner, when you are done you will have learned alot and still have the respect of the people supporting you.

About raising money- have a look in the classifieds in the back of Golf World or magazines like that. There's usually a few guys in there raising money to do the same thing. Use some of their ideas to fit your situation.

okay that's my rant... oh, one more thing.

At your mini tour events take note on how the better players are spending their free time. After a round its usually not a cold beer but probably some chipping and putting.

good luck,

dell

I think the US Pro Golf Tour has taken over the Tight Lies Tour, but am not sure.

I know several guys who have tried or are trying to make it as golfers. It's an extremely tough road with many talented players. So much of it is just getting hot at the right time. Based on my limited exposure, the guys who seem to succeed the most are also the guys who work the hardest.

Also, not to question your backers, but get the money in your pocket before you get too far into your planning (ie committing to spend money you don't have). I've seen a couple of guys make that mistake and it really backfired.

thanks for the replys guys, keep them coming. and i agree with many points and i know its gonna take alot of hard work and i am so willing to put in the hours and i am not looking to spend peoples money, i am wanting to be there for them also and show them the work i am putting in. but great replys and keep em coming. thanks.

Good to see someone chasing the dream. It is attainable! I did a few short stints on a few mini tours and believe me the money is hard to come by and even being frugal it is easy to spend a couple of grand a week depending on which tour,entry fee, cost of lodging, and the ramen noodles to eat if you have enough left over change to pick up a packet or two (12cents a piece at walmart). I would recommend putting together a detailed report on your college playing resume. I hope you keep your stats as far as GIR, fairways hit, putts, birdies, bogies, other. The more detailed you can be, the better. Come up with a buget. Do a lot of research on the tours and see how much hotels, entry fees, food, dry cleaning, and every little detail that you can think of that you buy on a regular basis and not notice. Anyone that is going to loan you the money, yes I said loan, wants to see what they are investing in. They are going to expect to be repayed close to the amount that they loan you. A few of my buddies that are still grinding away send close to 80% of any check they make back to the investors, mind the fact that the investors are paying for you to do everything so the $500 dollar check that you get for finishing 25th in a Tight Lies event is better in their pocket. Take your detailed reports to business owners you know see what they think. Next give a few to people from the club you grew up playing at. Never cold call someone. Don't just show up with your stuff and expect money, you are a salesman selling yourself, make appointments and dress like a business man not a college golfer. With all of that said, there is a lot of money out there and people are willing to spend it in chance that they hit it big. You are willing to take that 1 in 10,000 shot of making it, some small business owners are willing to take the same chance. Best of luck to you!

I say go balls out. You're only young once. You have many years to join us working stiffs.

I suggest you try to hook up with other young players. That way you can split lodging and travel costs with them, stength in numbers I say. I know its sucks to have four guys to a room, but it cuts costs down. Perhaps you can hold a part time job at a golf course preferably. The shop would be a good place to work. You won't make much, but you get free range time and course play, not to mention you might get some equipment support from the course professionals.

One word of caution, stay off of the credit cards. I hate to see young folks saddled with credit debt.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

It will help immensely to put as many personal references in your resume as possible. If you have a swing coach, Team coach, Business owners, Influential friends, City Officials...everybody you know that you feel is important in your life! Investors want to know what kind of person they are dealing with before they plunk down the cash.

Also, don't expect them to hand you a big wad all at once. Get what you can up front and make arrangements for periodic payments. Your continued feedback will reassure them and insure that the payments keep coming. Your resume should spell out your financial needs.

Ask any investors if they know other people who might be interested in helping. Don't be afraid to approach anybody you think can help. Sometimes the person you would least expect to help could be your best sponsor.

Make sure you present yourself as a calm and assured person and do a heck of a lot of smiling.

Once you secure a sponsor/investor, send them a letter to confirm the deal. In fact, it's a good idea to have a signed contract. That way there is no doubt about what's expected of each party. No matter what happens, you'll want to remain friends with them afterwards.

Just coming on this forum and asking the question shows that you have a good head on your shoulders. Hope everything works out and we see you on the PGA Tour someday. By the way, I highly recommend the Gateway Tour here in the Phoenix area.

whats the cost of living like there in Phoenix? i have been looking at the gateway tour and dont know if i want to do the beach or desert series, just wondering what the costs were like there.

Trying looking on Craigslist.org. There is a link for Phoenix on the right side of the main page. Look under housing for an idea about rents. I would assume AZ is pretty reasonable as far as cost of living, with maybe the exception of Scottsdale. By the way, not to distract your golf game, but Tempe/Scottsdale area is crawling with hotties.

any one else? any one want to help me out, I can talk to ya, haha, I know its an investment, but i can show you the credentials and what not. But, just basically, a bump. Thanks for all the help again guys.

The cost of living there isn't do bad. I attended the golf academy of arizona when I wanted to become a teaching pro back in 1999. You can find some decent places to live for cheap. I lived in the Fairways on san Marcos resort so that wasn't cheap, but there are tons of other apartments around for alot less. Also, while I was there I worked at some of the courses. Decent pay, and playing privilages on some on the nicest courses around.

-CHRIS-

As someone who has been down the road you are about to go, here a re a few thoughts for you. First of all, congrats on taking a chance. I am lining up sponsorship right now for the 2007 season on the Hooters and Nationwide tours. As mentioned in previous post, have your playing resume and business plan ready. Know what your expenses will be and be honest about them with potential investors. Include everything you will need. Home club membership, cart fees, entry fees, travel, fitness, ect. They want to see you have a well thought out plan. Do your homework because you will run into expenses you won't think about. Most of this has been mentioned. But whatever you do, have everything put in writing and have an attorney review it BEFORE you sign or agree to it. I know a lot of touring pro's right now stuck in really bad contracts with their "friendly" investors. Check out the tour you plan to play on. Call the tour office and ask questions. Be educated and be careful.

Best of luck!!