2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

A journey to Making Golf Fun

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1369286209' post='7090352']
A staple in my journey was the swings with a straight right arm feel. When you have multiple things to work on then it breeds opportunity AND progress. If you have a day where trying to shallow out is discouraging then go back to straight right arm width drills. The same way weight lifters do legs Monday, chest and tris the next. Make a schedule. Go full retard with each feel. Maybe not alternating every day. But every few days or whatever supports improvement in each area. Just bcuz you moved past lesson 1 and 2 doesn't mean they dont need more work. Eventually you will own the swing. the journey you are on is longer than you think. Enjoy it
[/quote]

Good stuff..

Yep journey is long..a lonely road.. But I'm still going

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right arm straight. 1 arm pushup. Starting a lawn mower with the right arm and the chord is attached to your sternum. A palm strike in martial arts. Putting a hand up to a disrespectful woman's face (talk to the hand trick lol). Keeping your right elbow above your right wrist through the swing (personal favorite). Let your right arm hang loosely by your side and raise your elbow to shoulder height, leave the forearm and hand limp. Right arm straight. Get jiggy. XXX XXXXXXX. Watch James Hahn. That XXXXXX shoots some XXXXXXXX numbers on sunday

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1369287670' post='7090382']
Right arm straight. 1 arm pushup. Starting a lawn mower with the right arm and the chord is attached to your sternum. A palm strike in martial arts. Putting a hand up to a disrespectful woman's face (talk to the hand trick lol). Keeping your right elbow above your right wrist through the swing (personal favorite). Let your right arm hang loosely by your side and raise your elbow to shoulder height, leave the forearm and hand limp. Right arm straight. Get jiggy. XXX XXXXXXXX. Watch James Hahn. That XXXXXX shoots some XXXXXXXX numbers on sunday
[/quote]

I hope I can implement this ( right arm straight). and still do the alignment stick drill. Just knowing I stay on plane with this thing is a big cushion for me.,,.

[quote name='coderman1' timestamp='1369315493' post='7091262']
Chris,

How do you go about setting up the angle and location of that alignment stick?
[/quote]

I had an ex/ physics teacher from the University Of Notre Dame help me with the exact placement of the stick, and how deep and what angle to use. I told him the 3 clubs I would use.. ( 8 iron...6 iron...driver).. Length of alignment stick/My height addressing the Ball/ length of club/ and the lie of my clubs..all 4 degrees flat. He met me at the range , took out his marker and put marks on the alignment stick per his calculations...this calculation also included what angle to push the stick into the ground. Inorder to optimize the stick, he showed me where to place the ball. It should always be a foot to the left of the stick..3 inches inside the stick line. I thought it was ingenious,,and even told him he might have a career in the golf training aid business. :).. Now it seems like the responses I get, that the training aid was useless. This was the only thing I found that gets me on plane...it is OTT impossible.

I have one more idea , to battle the tush line. I'm going to try and place a ball under each foot ( by the toes) and swing. It just seems there would be no way to get off the tush line this way.. Might be wrong.. Going retarded

I have had help from a million online instructors/ you guys/ Isacc Newtons great grandson... :)/ The Duchess of York... You name it

I was frustrated 20 years ago with golf, now I'm over it..I'm just enjoying what I'm doing.. And enjoy working on my swing to get better. I play the white tees wherever I go and shoot some good scores for a casual golfer. So all In all it is a win/ win/ win for me

Cp

Rainy out...but tried different things. Balls under toes.. (Disastrous ) .. Than just feeling like my alignment stick was there ( same old junk).. I need that stick, only thing that keeps me on plane . From there I can worry about tush line and straight arm.. Stick is a must for me.

I play 18 tomorrow. I'm taking the stick,,and using on every shot. Nothing to lose, and will keep it interesting. Again, if you see me,,.just play thru, I'm there to get better. I think Dan would approve of this thing..any teacher would really :). Sticking to it, done deal for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WbqCzzKOdk

Cp

Hi Chris,
You really should go see Dan in person, you won't need all the props after that. You will have a clear path forward and as hard as you work you should get there as quick as anyone can (if you stick to the plan) Dan is a super guy and knows more about the golf swing than anyone I have been around.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

[quote name='kcowgolf' timestamp='1369358208' post='7095770']
Hi Chris,
You really should go see Dan in person, you won't need all the props after that. You will have a clear path forward and as hard as you work you should get there as quick as anyone can (if you stick to the plan) Dan is a super guy and knows more about the golf swing than anyone I have been around.
[/quote]

Would love too..but won't happen.. So these online lessons are as close as I can get. Five years ago would've been no problem, now...no way

But my only savior is the alignment stick,,only " band aid" that lets me salvage a on plane swing now

:)

Can't wait to play my 1 st 18 hole round tomorrow. I will just think about alignment stick, and a wide right arm backswing.,

I will continue to use the alignment stick in practice..and maybe use it for a few holes too :). That alignment stick means more to me now,,than my putter ( which I,love to death)

No matter what, from here on out I'm going to use this aid. The plane will be my main focus, and I will use these " training wheels" or " side bowling bumpers" as long as I can. Wide right arm...back tush lines are my goals..

Won't be able to see Dan..but will continue online lessons and keep on developing a nice swing motion

My buddy just sent me these clips.. If I can groove this, without alignment sticks..,there should be no reason why I can't shoot mid to low 70's every round I play in our area. Maybe not the tour, but for local golf..this would be one heck of an effective motion. Just minor tweaks needed...but very repetitive,,

Good thoughts for myself I guess..there is hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg7CDVwTqs0

New irons...bought golf membership.. And out working on straight right arm..and turn turn turn

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnU4sRK5QTc[/media]

Is this the 'straight right arm' you are working on?

notstraight.gif

:read:

I know..but it feels ram rod straight... Maybe I'm just not flexible.. Feels like I'm going to,pull my right arm right out of the socket

Bizarre I know

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1369431289' post='7101500']
Why no put the alignment stick here? And maybe use an older iron lol

[attachment=1696816:CP alignment aid.jpg]
[/quote]

I agree...

Feel like Dean Wilson... Turn back towards target,,and feel like your shoulders are turning in a circle. You have to come inside that line with his swing thought

I'm starting to think my swing issues are like a permanent disease of some sort.. I was ready to play 18 today, but after I filmed myself in early afternoon..and reviewed. I was so disappointed, I haven't been disappointed in a long time. But for some reason, today was a bad day...I expected more when I took the alignment stick away. So, I hit for 2 hrs and went home..confused and frustrated

But I need to look at the positives...I have new clubs now, and a beautiful range and course to play :)

My setup leg foundation is good..my legs in my swing have improved big time..and my swing is shorter now. No longer created lag..thinking wide wide wide

I love all the tips..ping's tip is really one to try with the alignment stick. I see bad things happening when I try this...which might be good

Cp

[quote name='jhudi' timestamp='1369451466' post='7103480']
gotta hop off the range at some point bro and just play only way youll know where you stand no matter how much video and ball spanking you do just my opinion
[/quote]

Weird...I really don't even feel like playing until I nail this..or nail a feel that will get me there. I concur what you said, but of I had a choice...range or play?

Well you know what the answer would :)

Give me a large bucket of X out titleist..and I'm a happy man

I love the passion but I don't think I've seen one swing where you don't over flex the right arm almost immediately in the backswing. Hit some very small half shots and video tape them to see if you can keep our right arm straight in a mini swing. If not I'd work on that till you can. Banging balls with full swings hoping for a change is only gonna frustrate you. You should be able to swing both arms back completely straight until just past waste high, with full wrist set. Prove you can do that and then build off of it. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Corey_sulliv21' timestamp='1369489174' post='7104984']
I love the passion but I don't think I've seen one swing where you don't over flex the right arm almost immediately in the backswing. Hit some very small half shots and video tape them to see if you can keep our right arm straight in a mini swing. If not I'd work on that till you can. Banging balls with full swings hoping for a change is only gonna frustrate you. You should be able to swing both arms back completely straight until just past waste high, with full wrist set. Prove you can do that and then build off of it. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I know..this so much more difficult than I thought