Delaware Golf Club - OH

AlmostscratchonceAlmostscratchonce Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
So... my brother's not much of a golfer and bought a home located on Delaware G.C. a couple years ago when he relocated to the area. I had the opportunity to play it earlier this year while visiting him, and loved the Ross 9 holes (Hurdzan 9 were good, too). He tells me the course owner has been pushing for a while to close down part of the course for commercial development along the highway (likely the Ross 9), and is now in some sort of dispute with the HOA about water usage & treatment facilities. Brother was recently told by someone that homeowners aren't welcome to play there any more... seems strange for a cash-strapped golf operation.

I asked Uncle Google, and didn't find much out about the dispute & am curious if any WRXers know what the scoop is, and if there's any hope of stopping the guy from paving paradise to put up a parking lot.

Comments

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Not sure about the HOA dispute, but I've heard that the Ross 9 are safe for at least a few more years. Apparently there are some serious issues with added pressure on sewage treatment if they built condos.
    Ping G 9*
    Taylormade V-Steel 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges TBD
    Bettinardi BB0 copper with carbon fiber insert/Vintage Ping Dalehead Anser
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Funny, I played this course last year and hated the Ross 9 (I like a lot of his other designs I have played) and preferred the other 9. I thought the road cutting through the fairways was one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen on a golf course. It's one thing to have a road run next to a hole...but right through the middle of it? Even on the other 9, it seems like the golf cart paths ran right between houses so close you could touch the house..didn't feel natural to me at all. To each his own but I was not a fan overall of this course but it seems to get good reviews on Golfadvisor. To each his own.
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Frohlich wrote:

Funny, I played this course last year and hated the Ross 9 (I like a lot of his other designs I have played) and preferred the other 9. I thought the road cutting through the fairways was one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen on a golf course. It's one thing to have a road run next to a hole...but right through the middle of it? Even on the other 9, it seems like the golf cart paths ran right between houses so close you could touch the house..didn't feel natural to me at all. To each his own but I was not a fan overall of this course but it seems to get good reviews on Golfadvisor. To each his own.

I'd agree that this is one of Ross's weaker courses, especially the 15th, but in his defense, the road wasn't there when he designed it.
    Ping G 9*
    Taylormade V-Steel 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges TBD
    Bettinardi BB0 copper with carbon fiber insert/Vintage Ping Dalehead Anser
  • Frid_the_kidFrid_the_kid Life is Good Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

This fight/rumor has been going since 2012. Last I heard, there are a ton of hurdles that are helping to prevent the destruction of the course. The main issue I heard was that the OWU observation stations on the course are light sensitive and that the land deed possibly prevents development on the land. If my memory is correct, the land was originally all owned by Ohio Wesleyan & the golf course/ Methodist theology campus was built as a natural land buffer.

Ping Woods
    Ping Irons
    Ping Wedges

Too many putters...