U.S jr amateur

eagle golfer ·  
eagle golfereagle golfer Jr. Boomers  150WRX Points: 0Posts: 150
I know its a few months away but Im pretty sure sign ups for the qualifier start this week, and was wondering who will be going this year and where will u try to qualify? Im going to West Lafayette to the kampen course( site of 2008 mens ncaa championship)
Posted:

Comments

• cokeefe1523cokeefe1523 2009 Jr. Boomers  158WRX Points: 0Posts: 158
    i will be attempting to qualify most likely at ledgemont in ma with a fellow wrxer on the bag hopefully. my home course has a us am qualifier i believe so i will be playing that as well.

Good luck guys and i hope to see you in Alabama this July.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golfman1229golfman1229 Jr. Boomers  249WRX Points: 0Posts: 249
    IM hopefully qualifying somewhere in michigan.

hope to see you there

kyle
    Posted:
  • pu_golf88pu_golf88 Members  806WRX Points: 60Posts: 806 Golden Tee
    Hey eagle_golfer, if you want an info on Kampen I'd be happy to help. I qualified from there in my junior golf days and I currently play at Purdue.
    Posted:
  • beachgrovejuniorbeachgrovejunior Members  1456WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,456
    I am going to try and qualify at Canterwood G&CC in Washington, anyone playing there or played the course before?
    Posted:
  • eagle golfereagle golfer Jr. Boomers  150WRX Points: 0Posts: 150
    hey pu golf i would love to have any info on kampen because i hear it is a really hard course and this will be my first year in the qualifying so any advice or info is greatly appreciated! thanks
    Posted:
  • A-TrainA-Train Members  162WRX Points: 0Posts: 162
    pu_golf88 wrote on Apr 1 2008, 05:13 PM:
    Hey eagle_golfer, if you want an info on Kampen I'd be happy to help. I qualified from there in my junior golf days and I currently play at Purdue.

Big PU fan here.

Newest mamber of the Matt Painter fan club too.

Met him last year at a party. Good dude.

Good luck this year.

Perhaps we'll see you at the NCAA championship.

"All hail to the old gold and black"
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ccpgolfccpgolf Members  526WRX Points: 0Posts: 526
    I will be trying to qualify at Forest Hills Country Club. Last year it was at St. Louis CC and I did pretty well for my first year, plus this years course is a lot easier.
    Posted:
    To A-Train I just wanted to say.. BOILER UP!

and to eagle golfer...

alot depends on what tees you're playing from. we just added some length and now its almost 7500 from the tips. when i played the qualifier for the us junior i think it was around 7100.

first and foremost i would say.. stay out of the waste bunkers!

1. hit it down the left side if you can reach the traps that come across the fairway and stay below the hole.

2. just get it on the green.. the green is pretty flat but you don't want to miss it.

3. from the tips the best i'm trying to do is get a 4 a birdie is a bonus.. but once again just make it in the fairway... the waste bunkers on the right are really tough. green also if you don't have the distance to try to fly it to the green you can hit a low runner a little to the right of the green and it should roll on.

4. get it in play off the tee. i'd say the safe bet for a junior is to lay up the second shot since there is no way you want to miss it short. make sure you leave your self a shot that you can spin cuz this is a wicked green (i think the fairway ends at about 100 yards out). if you decide to go for it you can miss pin high to the left but its a really steep shot on and make sure you don't leave it short b/c it will roll back down the hill.

5. leave it below the hole and if you miss, miss to the right.

6. this is another 3 shot par 5... you don't want to go right at all. greenside bunkers aren't too tough.

7. this is drivable if you have the distance but if you aren't going for it take it down the side of the fairway that the pin is on.

8. this is a large dogleg right and you should be able to see some bunkers that are after the corner that would be on the other side of the fairway. aim at those. the green slopes away from the trap thats front center.

9. if you can carry the waste bunkers on the right go for it but a shot from the right fairway isn't too bad. the green slopes left to right.

i've got homework to do so i'll do the back 9 later, but i hope this helped! and good luck!
    Posted:
    thanks alot that is really helpful, sounds pretty tough..im not sure what tees we will play i hope its not tip though because thats a long way. so how did u play when u tried qualifying there? by the way Purdue was one of the main schools i was looking at to try to get on team or even just go there are u from Indiana? if so what type of things did u do to get recruited by Purdue? thanks
    Posted:
    yep i'm from fort wayne, indiana. if i remember correctly i shot 75-72 and was 3rd out of the 3 that made it through. i guess the main things i did to help get me noticed was playing in the junior am and making it to sectional qualifying for the us open. i'd say another thing that helps would be making it to state and doing well.
    Posted:
  • Ryan_LessRyan_Less Ryan Less* Jr. Boomers  504WRX Points: 0Posts: 504
    Red Hawk in sparks NV

any one else?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals  5689WRX Points: 56Posts: 5,689 Marshals
    Stanford Golf Course, Palo Alto California.
    Posted:
  • jmbgolferjmbgolfer Members  203WRX Points: 0Posts: 203
    Hey beachgrove junior I also am going to try and qualify at canterwood. I have played there before and it is a nice course. Hopefully I will see you there!
    Posted:
    ya thats cool, pu did u play in the mt.dew tour
    Posted:
    yeah i played a few events each summer.
    Posted:
  • A-TrainA-Train Members  162WRX Points: 0Posts: 162
    eagle golfer wrote on Apr 1 2008, 07:48 PM:
    hey pu golf i would love to have any info on kampen because i hear it is a really hard course and this will be my first year in the qualifying so any advice or info is greatly appreciated! thanks

Perhaps the pro shop would send you a yardage book. I know they got em!

Good luck!
    Posted:

Advertisement
    they haven't updated the yardage book to the new layout yet... but i'd be happy to scan and upload my copy sometime this weekend. as long as you don't mind some notes in there lol
    Posted:
  • demetri17demetri17 Members  146WRX Points: 0Posts: 146
    i'm playing in norwalk, ct
    Posted:
    pu thatd be great if u could scan yours, and i wont mind the notes at all. thanks
    Posted:
  • dragongolferdragongolfer Jr. Boomers  58WRX Points: 0Posts: 58
    I'm gonna try and qualify at someplace in New Jersey.
    Posted:
  • Ray Ray Got GameRay Ray Got Game Members  40WRX Points: 65Posts: 40 Bunkers
    Im from ireland and am thinking about playing in it..is there a hanicap limit because we have a different hanicap system over here?Anyone got any info on this cheers
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    Titleist TS3 15 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
    Titleist 712 CB 2 Iron 6.0 Project X
    Titleist 712 MB 3-9 6.0 Project X
    Vokey SM7 46/52/58 KBS Tour X
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"

Advertisement
  • alucard655alucard655 Members  358WRX Points: 0Posts: 358
    Hope to see some GolfWRXrs at Shoal this summer, we are members there and it should be a fabulous course to host the event. If you are curious I have yardage books from Shoal but I believe they do not believe they have the newest tees in them.
    Posted:
    Ray Ray Got Game wrote on Apr 8 2008, 12:26 PM:
    Im from ireland and am thinking about playing in it..is there a hanicap limit because we have a different hanicap system over here?Anyone got any info on this cheers

its around 5 for a USGA cap i think, cant remember its on their site, but you basically have to be at least scratch to qualify, as pretty much everyone who qualifies shoots under par in the two round qualifier
    Posted:
  • ccpgolfccpgolf Members  526WRX Points: 0Posts: 526
    beachgrovejunior wrote on Apr 8 2008, 11:51 PM:
    Ray Ray Got Game wrote on Apr 8 2008, 12:26 PM:

its around 5 for a USGA cap i think, cant remember its on their site, but you basically have to be at least scratch to qualify, as pretty much everyone who qualifies shoots under par in the two round qualifier

"The event is open to male golfers who have not reached their 18th birthday prior to the close of competition and whose USGA Handicap Index does not exceed 6.4"

Agreed on the scratch thing, Luke Guthrie qualified at my site last year with 65, 67.
    Posted:
    yup, so you have to have some serious game to qualify, especially if you are flying over to qualify
    Posted:
  • nchladeknchladek Jr. Boomers  115WRX Points: 0Posts: 115
    Stanford (my home course)
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CabotgolfCabotgolf Members  5WRX Points: 0Posts: 5
    Especially in a spot that has one or two qualifiers, Texas qualifiers have 4 or 5.
    Posted:
  • SCameron009SCameron009 ¡~WRX~! Members  1784WRX Points: 115Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees
    I will be qualifying at Keith Hills Country Club in Buies Creek, North Carolina.
    Posted:
  • nchladeknchladek Jr. Boomers  115WRX Points: 0Posts: 115
    Does anyone know for sure what the deadline is to be 17? I can't find the website, and I turn 18 July 22, which I think is two days late, but I'm not sure.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
    hailtothechief your right about guthrie hes gonna help the illini alot, i played with him at stone creek in champaign IL( my hometown) last year. another guy comming to help illini is mason jacobs from southern IL
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.