Tryouts

klm5121 ·  
klm5121klm5121 Members  2WRX Points: 0Posts: 2
Tryouts for the golf team are two weeks away, I was hoping i could get some advice on what to expect and how to calm the nerves. i havent really played a competitive round of golf like in a tournament or something that really puts some pressure on me. i try to play as seroius as possible each time i go out but since i am not playing for anything, like a spot on the team, i dont know what will happen when there is a little pressure. any tips on what to do from now till then would be appreciated.
Posted:

Comments

• golfman1229golfman1229 Jr. Boomers  249WRX Points: 0Posts: 249
    honestly just have fun with it. if you play too serious you will just hurt your game. im going to be a senior this year. my freshman year i put to much pressure on myself, didn't put as much on myself my sophmore year and averaged like 5 strokes better and had a lot more fun.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Dill PicklesonDill Pickleson Go Celts Members  3823WRX Points: 145Posts: 3,823 Titanium Tees
    im 24 now but played all 4 years in high school, freshman year i was way to serious and stunk, sophomore year i was close friends with all my teamates and was 6th man and loved it, junior year was fun cause i was older and the 4th guy and best friends with all top 6 guys, senior year i was the 3 man and got completely stoned within a half hour of 15/16 matches and it was the funnest of all four years, i would just relax and have fun, try hard to make the team but dont worry about being great, usually if you can make the team as a freshman theyll keep you around for four years and youll get free golf out of hit, try hard to make the team but have fun and relax
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Hzrdus Yellow 75x
    Titleist 906F2 15* Proforce V2 85x
    TaylorMade M3 17* Tensei Blue 80x
    Ping iblade 3-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 52* & 58* s200
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Juno
    Vessel Cart Bag
  • epixepepixep If the wind will not serve, take to the oars Members  1425WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,425
    "Have fun and relax" is stupid advice, sorry. Obviously you want to make the team bad.

The best way to "calm nerves" is to only focus on your target, visualize the ball going exactly where you want it and everything that constitutes a good pre-shot routine. Do everything you can to focus on things you want to happen, and nothing about a bad shot or the possibility that you play badly.

If you really want (and I recommend this a ton) to get serious about your mental game check out Bob Rotella's books. I would start with "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". Besides the short game (which he addresses) the best way to save strokes on your game at this time is through thinking.

Good luck.
    Posted:
  • Dill PicklesonDill Pickleson Go Celts Members  3823WRX Points: 145Posts: 3,823 Titanium Tees
    epixep wrote on Aug 14 2008, 11:38 PM:
    "Have fun and relax" is stupid advice, sorry. Obviously you want to make the team bad.

The best way to "calm nerves" is to only focus on your target, visualize the ball going exactly where you want it and everything that constitutes a good pre-shot routine. Do everything you can to focus on things you want to happen, and nothing about a bad shot or the possibility that you play badly.

If you really want (and I recommend this a ton) to get serious about your mental game check out Bob Rotella's books. I would start with "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". Besides the short game (which he addresses) the best way to save strokes on your game at this time is through thinking.

Good luck.

thats ridiculous
    Posted:
    Ping iblade 3-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 52* & 58* s200
    Vessel Cart Bag
  • golftitleistgolftitleist Jr. Boomers  858WRX Points: 0Posts: 858
    Wsc04forever wrote on Aug 14 2008, 11:09 PM:

Good luck.

thats ridiculous

So is getting, "completly stoned" before every match.
    Posted:
  • xfactor712xfactor712 Lefty Boomers  33WRX Points: 0Posts: 33
    Just work on short game. That will get you throught most high school tryouts. Also, ignore the pressure (as best you can). Have a plan of attack for each hole before you tee off. Take each shot individually.

Lie, wind, pin placement, stance. If any are a bit too much to handle, there's no shame in tryin to hit the center of the green.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • epixepepixep If the wind will not serve, take to the oars Members  1425WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,425
    Wsc04forever wrote on Aug 14 2008, 09:09 PM:

Good luck.

thats ridiculous

Bob Rotella works with Paddy Harrington - who by the way just won three majors in a little over a year.

If you think golf psychology is "ridiculous" then I say you've been smoking too much for too long.
    Posted:
  • klm5121klm5121 Members  2WRX Points: 0Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your input, I will be trying out for a very small college team. i know my short game needs a lot of work, i try to use the flop shot a lot and am very inconsistent, so i started working on a bumb and run but not having to much success
    Posted:
    if you are struggling a little around the greens you might want to leave the flop shot in the bag for now, it tends to have a small margin for error, and if your having trouble with the bump and run you could try a back foot sand wedge or lob wedge bump and run, that for me atleast has been a pretty comfortable shot, i just put a 54*-56* on my back foot deloft it a little bit and use a little wrist and its an easy bump and run that takes a couple skips and checks around the hole

you might also want to look up the "**** and pop", i saw a video of it a little while ago and found it to be really effective, its a good shot if you are in the rough around the green, it helps to get the ball out cleanly avoiding the flub shot or thin shot, im having trouble finding a video or anything but im telling you it could help you around the green, also give the back foot sand wedge bump and run a try cause you might like it

but for your tryouts, i would "PLAY THE BEST GAME THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY", sometimes i find myself in the woods and ill say to myself "if i could just hit it through that gap and carry it over those trees and land it softly on the green" well no im not tiger woods, so i should just chip it out into the fairway and take my medicine, also avoid "BLOWUP HOLES", keep the ball in play the best you can, that might mean leaving the driver in the bag sometimes when you normally might blast away, sometimes bogey golf is better than par,birdie,par, par, bogey, snowman.

but i cant emphasize this enough "PLAY THE BEST GAME THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY", leave as many tiger woods shots as you can in the bag lol

remember, rocco mediate played "HIS GAME TO THE BEST OF HIS ABILITY", hitting it 260 off the tee, hitting 90% of his shots with a right-left ball flight, and he was up against a guy who can hit any shot you can imagine, and he held his own for 90 holes or so, SO PLAY YOUR GAME THE BEST YOU CAN!
    Posted:
    Ping iblade 3-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 52* & 58* s200
    Vessel Cart Bag
  • scoodoodlescoodoodle Members  42WRX Points: 0Posts: 42
    The one thing that i would say is to not get mad after a bad shot because whenever i do that i blow my hole round. I have stopped doing that and have gotten close to 5 shots better because you will have a better mental game.
    Posted:
  • laxr24laxr24 Members  180WRX Points: 50Posts: 180 Fairways
    If you hit a bad drive into the trees, just pitch out. Everyone's going to make mistakes, so just play as smart as possible.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.