2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Jobs in the golf industry

chjoak

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I have been working in a corporate setting for a software company for 4+ years. I don't have an issue with my work or the people I work with but there are a number of factors (mostly department/company culture) that have caused me a great deal of frustration over the years. This frustration has lead me to become completely burned out and in need of a change.

I have been looking for another opportunity for the last year but am having a difficult time finding something that fits. This past weekend I got the bright idea that it would be great to work in the golf industry. My only issue is that I don't know what options may be available in my area outside of course/tournament management.

I am hoping that the people of this board may have some ideas and or leads for me. I am in Houston, TX. Some travel would be ok, but I don't want to move. My degree and job experience is in the IT field , however I am not limiting my options to this field.

If you have a lead that would be great. Otherwise I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for types of positions I could research/pursue. Feel free to PM me if you want to offer me a job or discuss privately. :friends:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a recent trend with individuals who are hired to put together golf outings...

I do this as a side project for my current job. We have small department tournaments twice a year. I would love the opportunity to do something like this full time.

It's an interesting idea, one that more than a few of us, myself included, have pondered.

But the thing is you have to be realistic, especially if you're targeting one of the big boys like Titleist and Callaway:

(1) What makes you think that the corporate culture may be all that different? A lot of them are publicly traded companies where the bottom line is the primary focus. It sounds like this is the most important issue for you.

(2) How much time and $ are you able and willing to spend to get training pertinent to the golf industry? Maybe a golf company will like your IT skills enough that they'll hire you and train you on their dime, but what is the likelihood of that happening?

(3) How willing are you to take a potential pay cut, given your desire to work in another industry? It may not happen, but it is possible.

(4) Are you that set on not moving geographically? A lot of the big boys are in southern CA, and it's possible that there is the perfect job for you, but in that neck of the woods

I actually do wish you the best of luck. My intent is to not burst your bubble, but simply to make you aware of realities and potential obstacles you face. If and when you find that position in the golf industry, I'm sincerely hoping you update us with the good news and an "insider's" review of what it's like to work there!

Don't worry, your not bursting any bubbles. Believe me I have thought all of this stuff through. Before I answer a few of your points I think it is necessary to clarify my original inquiry. I am not necessarily looking to work for a manufacturer. Although I think that would be great, I realize that it is not realistic in Texas. I am trying to figure out what options may be available to me.

(1)I understand that all corporate cultures are similar. The difference, however, with my company is that it is privately owned and there are a number of policies and procedures that are very unique to the company. Though my issues are much more department specific rather than company specific. And no, transferring to another department is not an option.

(2)I am more than willing to invest time. Money may be another story. How much money I could invest would be dependent on my current financial situation and the expected payout when I'm done.

(3)Again, willingness to take a paycut would depend on a number of factors including; Current situation, How much of a cut, Future earning potential, How long will it take to better the situation, Do I also have to make a financial investment.

(4)This goes back to my clarification above. Although it would be great to work for Titliest or Calloway, I realize it may not be realistic while living in Houston. This is probably the only factor that is inflexible because it is my wife's decision not to move. She has no desire to move too far from her family. More than 3-4 hours in the car is too far.

I am trying to explore possibilities locally. I was just hoping there might be a few Houston area people on this board that might point me in a promising direction.

If you want to stay in Texas...try Adams golf and Hogan (now owned by Callaway, so that is one of your top two). From my personal experience the pay sucks for the most part (may be different in the IT field) but golf related jobs where you need golf knowledge the pay sucks because there are alot of people who are willing to do it (simple supply and demand), but the perks are great. I am two years out of college now and I have some friends back home who I graduated with who are driving nice cars and pulling down really great incomes for two years out of college...my income is about half of what there's is, but personally, I love my job and that is really important to me that I can go to work with a smile everyday. Also I may not drive a great car to work but they have never had dinner with a Masters Champion in Augusta or played exclusive courses for free. SO bottom line, the pay sucks but the perks rock:)

What I would recomend is check the Callaway site and the Adams site and see what postings they have for jobs, Callaway will not post that the job is for Hogan but if it says Texas...that means its in the Hogan headquarters. Cant hurt to try Nike either, they have a test facility in TX.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

chjoak,

Like others have said..we have all pondered this thought. Right now I am a teacher in New York, before that I went to school to be a course superintendant. I got the job I wanted and quickly learned that working in golf ruined my love for the game and I stopped playing for 2 years. Just I thought.

But on a positive note...when I was still in school working on my degree..I was offered a job by RainBird with having a degree. I thought the Region Rep was joking and laughed..he quickly infromed me that he was quite serious. My point is have you considered using your IT skills in a field capicity like that. With irrigation technology, sub air systems in greens, gps systems in carts, irrigation systems, etc...maybe a company like that will offer you a way out of the office and travel only regioanlly and let you stay in Houston. I think irrigation is still heavily needed and growing in TX

I hope this helps or at leasts brings some different appoarches to this for you.

J

chjoak,

there are plenty of golf club management companies that need IT personel. You may want to send a resume to some of the "big boys" KSM, Troon, OB Sports, Heritage to name a few.

As for the pay being low....well initially absolutely YES, but after you move up the pay can be decent. Don't expect to get "rich" (depending on your interpretation of "rich"), "sales" will always be the best in that area.