2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

analyze my swing

yoonie

calling slicefixer!
Here's my swing guys- it looks as though i'm overswinging a little, and casting a bit too. Divots in front of the ball, but i'm having trouble with any sort of consistency.

face on:
http://www.swingacademy.com/SwingAnalysisTool.aspx?id=228

down the line
http://www.swingacademy.com/SwingAnalysisTool.aspx?id=229

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this swing! I really don't see any casting at all. your not holding your lag like sergio, lol, but I wouldn't call it casting. as for the length of your swing, it is relatively long. however, what I look for when I call a swing too long is a disconection of the arms, especially the right arm, from the body. although your right arm comes slightly away from your body, its not in a way that looks out of control.

I would, however, atribute your inconsistency to the length of the swing. the longer the swing, the more coil, and thus, the more potential power. but there is also more time for things to go wrong.

one very small thing I noticed is that your left shoulder seems a bit "scrunched" in through impact and into the follow through. try thinking about "throwing" your left shoulder towards the target at impact. this will help you get a full body release into the ball, and also helps get the chest and shoulders just a little more open through the ball. another way to think about this move is to try to get distance between your chin and your left shoulder through impact.

overall, I really enjoyed seeing your swing! its long, wide, and compact in all the right ways.

thanks guys- upon closer inspection, it looks like my postures a little off. I think this might be causing the scrunched look and lack of extension through impact. When I draw a line from the back of my a** to the ground, it falls well behind my heels, and I was thinking that a little more knee bend might fix my problems, including my hip thrust (which I think might be attributed to standing too far from the ball- again because of my posture).

Any thoughts, or anyone with similar issues? I would especially appreciate the input of any professional teachers in regards to my posture, and what "feels" they might recommend, and if i'm on the right track w/ the knee bend thought.

One other thing- I use what I think is a relatively weak grip. I check my grip by making sure the club face is parallel to my forearm w/ a flat wrist when cocked by holding it horizontally, and cocking fully. However, I'm still getting used to it, and I'm not sure if the grip is TOO weak. My goal is to get a flat wrist w/ square clubface, a la Tiger.

Pictures attached

P1000050.jpg

I do the same thing to check my grip. . .cocking the wrist and seeing if the clubface is parallel to my swing plane. I've found that this grip leads to a fade, all-be-it a slight one. I check my grip with the wrist ****, then strengthen it slightly. that seems to work best for me. the neutral grip works for tiger because he keeps his wrist much flatter than most. . .in fact some call it bowed at the top. most players, pro's included, "cup" there wrist alteast slightly at the top of the backswing.

I'd also like to hear a professional opinion. . .

anyone?

Yoonie......be glad to take look in a day or two.......I don't like to make quick comments without a thorough "look see".......just don't have time tonight........I'll give you an idea or two in a day or so......I can tell you that your hands are NOt "unified" on the club as well as they can be......I should NOt be able to see the left thumb at all if the hands are 100% unified/"together" on the club.......which, IMOP, is a BIG deal.......

You have very good eye hand coordination, which helps lots.

the bad ( to be taken with a grain of salt):

Your shoulders are a little rounded and your right leg is locking up. Now that is from the one swing and you have on baggy pants so maybe your leg isn't locked, but your posture is such an easy fix and you will see results.

Then good:

Something that athletes do is they DO NOT STAND STILL.

If you start to change stuff, take your time, and only change small things. Don't change the length or anything else drastic. Work on standing taller and get some space between your chin and shoulder.

Would like to see a driver swing, this will show good and bad points more clearly.

thanks slice. are you suggesting that I should weaken my right hand a little more? For some reason, when I do that i feel as if my left thumb gets a little long at the top of the backswing, though I'm not sure why.

You have a few of grip issues apparent from the pic:

Your right thumb and index finger have a large gap between them (likely the case with the left as well)

LH grip looks a little weak, which is why your right hand is not covering the left thumb well (because then your right hand will feel too weak to you if it does). A weak left hand grip doesn't support the shaft well at the top of the backswing and can make the club feel wobbly/unstable at the top (maybe the "long" feeling you have).

Right hand is too low on the grip - this might be caused by "trigger fingering" the left hand index finger (a gap between the index finger and middle finger). Need to pull the right hand up tight onto the left and feel the left thumb riding in the lifeline of your right hand.

thanks, i kinda had a feeling the right hand grip was a problem. have a tendency to let it drift strong, since i'm currently converting from a rather strong grip.

so you think my left hand grip looks weak? I kinda felt like it was too, but it seems as though it needs to be that weak to get the clubface neutral at the top of the backswing w/ a flat wrist.

Found an article where tiger's talking about his neutral grip:

Why you should use a stronger grip than I do

Before I bulked up I wasn't physically strong enough to use a neutral grip, so like most players looking for more distance I gripped it strong (at least three knuckles on my left hand visible). The stronger grip also helped me release the club better through impact. For that reason, most amateurs should employ a strong grip. Just make sure to maintain the cuppiness a strong grip creates in the back of your control hand at address to the top of your swing. Use a mirror to check the angle of your control hand at the top. If you flatten the back of your control hand at the top, the clubface will shut. Then you'll have to hold on through impact or the face will work closed. A pull-hook is the likely result.

Anyone have any input as to why a weaker grip requires more physical strength? I'm finding that the neutral clubface is very hard to square up (hitting slices and fades all day), but I thought this was just because I'm coming from a stronger grip.

Full article here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HF...54/ai_100463208

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't watch the video and could be wrong..............but judging that picture by itself I see nothing wrong other than the clear plastic bag on the floor. :rolleyes:

(unless the video shows he needs a stronger grip)

Pretty neutral grip there. (i.e. vertical wrists) And what's wrong with having a gap between the right thumb and right forefinger?

On your takeaway, the clubhead falls a little below plane and if you were to draw a straight line through the shaft toward the ball, it would be outside the target line by a foot or so. Perhaps a bit more upright takeaway would also help?? The ball also looks a touch back in your stance, but all in all quite a nice tempo and swing.

These are just my opinion so...

Besides posture and grip issues already mentioned, it looks to me that your takeaway is a little wide. Seems like its not only forcing the clubhead outside on the takeaway, but also causes you to kinda dip your left shoulder compounding the posture issue and giving you a very upright swing plane. Then I think you overswing a little and your straightening out your right knee to get there. IMO, your right knee flex should be maintained through the backswing. The last big thing I see is that your not extending your right arm through impact. Your seem to be dragging your left hand through the impact zone like a chip rather than a full swing.

Anyone please comment on these thoughts.