2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Standing up through impact FIX :)

binneguru

I am standing up, what are some keys to stop it.
Hello, I am a fairly decent golfer, although I am a bit streaky. I tend to average 2-5 birdies per round, with 5-6 bogeys and an occasional double. My weaknesses are my mid-short irons. My wedges just don't go anywhere. If i can get myself putting a bit better with a maintained spine angle I should be able to play to a 1-2.

From watching golf tournaments and watching myself in video, I have found that I am standing up IE not maintaining my spine angle through impact. This is something my father (a PGA teaching professional) never got around to curing me of before he passed away. In fact, he never mentioned it.

When I stand up on my downswing, my swing plane flattens and I have an inside out move and I have to have over active hands to compensate for it to get the club closed enough.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/acslat3r

I was wondering if anyone had any keys or tips on maintaining the spine angle. My swing is of the stack and tilt variety.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

binneguru,

Your stand up move (releasing the forward tilt) is correct, but you do it way to early. You should wait to feel this move until just before impact, not right from the top. Your hand path is from in to out. Try to feel your hands work more around the circle (matching through swing to downswing) (down the line, club shaft should exit just below shoulder rather than up in the neck). Right leg should work more toward your left leg (down the stance line) rather than toward the ball.

Thank you for your advice. I will check into this. I have a high of 63* here tomorrow so I should be able to go to the range.

I would be tickled pink to have my path straightened out. I don't know what problem I would then develop but I look forward to getting this monkey off of my back.

I stand a little more upright now vs. the vid.

-Scott

There is not an easy fix to this, but one way to do it is to hit balls with your butt up against a chair. Make sure your butt maintains contact with the chair until after impact (and then your left hip should hit it. this will feel very ackward at first, and I would recommend hitting balls into a net for a while when you're working on this--that way you won't worry about where the ball is going.

You will need to work on this for several months at least, because your comfortable (bad) habits will creep back into your swing when you play.

When you solve this, you may find that your swing feels very quiet or dead. That's because you will have eliminated some unnecessary movement in your swing. As you refine your swing, it will seem "smaller" and quieter. You will begin to rely on better sequencing to produce your clubhead speed (like the pros).

You look pretty young to have lost your dad. Sorry to hear about that.

Good luck!

Golfdog,

Yes I am 27. He was 51.

I will try that drill with the chair. I have a range about a minute from the house, I will get down there today.

It will be fun to see how much distance I lose. I honestly get about 110mph w/ the driver, I hope i can maintain it through stretching and the like. I don't see how my standing up move early is giving me distance.

Jeffman,

I started to watch the video, and for me curing my swing path is easily done by hitting up against a board, with the board about an inch from the ball on the outside of it. I will hit it great on the range when I have the path straight, i guess because I am more in sync, but I am then working from the symptom back through the swing to the standing up too early.

I tried a few swings w/ the chair, it does feel different. Thanks

-Scott

...This is something my father (a PGA teaching professional) never got around to curing me of before he passed away...
Sorry for your loss, Scott.

...My swing is of the stack and tilt variety...
Try to get Dana Dahlquist's attention on this---he's well versed in the S&T, among others.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

...This is something my father (a PGA teaching professional) never got around to curing me of before he passed away...

Try to get Dana Dahlquist's attention on this---he's well versed in the S&T, among others.

This video just shows way to much shift in the plane ro really keep your butt online. I would fix the shifting, Travino did it a bit more online and dropped it with his shoulders and nees going forward. Your eyeline and shoulder line gets your left arm way to shallow on the downswing.

i've had this problem for the past 10 years and sadly i just realized it a few months ago. i always thought it was a problem with swing plane and over active hands, but it's amazing what happens if you can keep that posture.

i've since tried a number of things. if you can get someone to go to the range with you and literally hold a club on top of your head (the grip end), it really makes you conscious of it. when i can't find a buddy, i've found that if i angle a shaft into the ground and have it resting against my left thigh (for a righty) while i'm hitting balls, it forces me to rotate my hips left.

for awhile it's felt almost like my upper body is moving down and i'm almost squatting through impact, but looking at it on video, i'm just finally maintaining that posture through impact.

hope this helps

I know my standing up early causes the drop in plane. I stand way more upright vs the video now, more like tiger.

I will get an updated video together and let you guys pick it apart. I noticed my standing up move causes me to get too shallow because i lose my spine angle. My divots all point right inside out for the most part.

I can play really well, it just has to be timed perfectly, and i often can't get it together for a full 18 holes.

I will get a new video sometime in the next day or two.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

This video just shows way to much shift in the plane ro really keep your butt online. I would fix the shifting, Travino did it a bit more online and dropped it with his shoulders and nees going forward. Your eyeline and shoulder line gets your left arm way to shallow on the downswing.

Its also the backswing I ws talking about, its a bit away from you and looks as if your mabey doing it with all clubs in the bag. You must if possible, with enough practice fix the backswing so you dont need to shift on the downswing.