2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Guys, I hate to start sounding like a shill, but I have no ties to Jeff, or his product, I bought it like everyone else...

I have been concientously using my PBS with noticable improvement on my long game all the way down to chips and pitches with wonderful results. Now I am finding that the positive "feel" of applied pressure in my right forefinger pad may allow me to return to using a standard length putter and get away from the long - anti yip broom stick. AMAZING!!!

Thanks again Jeff,

Kevin

Kevin,

I've read your love for this device over and over. I must say I am extremely jealous of your results. :drinks:

I just haven't had the time to spend with it since it came in. :(

Cheers!

Don't be jealous, I have mine on a club behind the counter. I waggle it a few times a day just to keep the feel. I have very little time for practice these days, but the PBS can help you keep the feel anywhere you can stash a club!

Kevin

Kev,

Great idea for us that have been in the business for a long time it can be used while standing behind the counter at your golf shop and still gain the feel of Clubhead Lag Pressure!

I am still working 70 hours a week as the GM/Pro at our club.

Power Package (Continued)

Power Accumulator #3

Is the Transfer Power and is the turning and rolling of the target forearm. Turning to the right and rolling to the left. This transfer power seeks to maintain its radial alignment with the left arm and wrist 90 degrees to its associated plane. It is true Clubface Control and Rhythm Control. The #3 Power Accumulator goes with the #3 Pressure Point and can be felt/sensed through the trigger finger. The turning and rolling can help the player sense the loading, storing, and delivery of the clubhead lag pressure to its aiming point and through to follow-through.

Hey Jeff, I just got my PBS in. THANKS for the speedy delivery! Can't wait to try it out!

With the seasons changing I know that you don't have much time left for golf.

Enjoy this device!

If you guys need a break from the cooler temps. we are looking to put together a 3 day Pure Ball Striker Golf School in Florida just outside Tampa.

Hey Jeff, I just got my PBS in. THANKS for the speedy delivery! Can't wait to try it out!

With the seasons changing I know that you don't have much time left for golf.

Enjoy this device!

If you guys need a break from the cooler temps. we are looking to put together a 3 day Pure Ball Striker Golf School in Florida just outside Tampa.

I am planning a trip to Florida over the winter, Please let us know the dates, I am interested.

TM M3
TM Tour Preferred CB/MC
TM Rossa Daytona

I stumbled on this thread and ordered a PBS yesterday based on all the testimonials in this long thread. The one point I haven't seen mentioned yet, and maybe it's obvious, but I don't know the answer...

Is it within the rules to play with the PBS on your grip for a regular round of golf, or just a practice round?

I stumbled on this thread and ordered a PBS yesterday based on all the testimonials in this long thread. The one point I haven't seen mentioned yet, and maybe it's obvious, but I don't know the answer...

Is it within the rules to play with the PBS on your grip for a regular round of golf, or just a practice round?

Practice only... Once you have used it for awhile, you will learn to keep the feeling of applied pressure without having the PBS on your club.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I ordered the PBS this week, after reading all of the testimonials in this thread. It looks to be exactly what I need to help ingrain a correct impact move. I have struggled with being inconsistent at impact for awhile. I sometimes hit what feels like the ball and ground at the same time, not good. Mostly, it is my short game that has kept me at a 5 handicap for awhile now. Fat and thin contact mostly. The worst part is, I can feel myself "flipping" into impact and can never seem to control it.

Does anyone have a good short game drill while using the PBS, or is just chipping and pitching with it enough? Thank you.

I ordered the PBS this week, after reading all of the testimonials in this thread. It looks to be exactly what I need to help ingrain a correct impact move. I have struggled with being inconsistent at impact for awhile. I sometimes hit what feels like the ball and ground at the same time, not good. Mostly, it is my short game that has kept me at a 5 handicap for awhile now. Fat and thin contact mostly. The worst part is, I can feel myself "flipping" into impact and can never seem to control it.

Does anyone have a good short game drill while using the PBS, or is just chipping and pitching with it enough? Thank you.

Chipping and pitching with it is a good short game drill IMOP. You'll feel the sensation pretty easily when you chip with it first.

The biggest cause of my flipping in the short game was keeping my hands and wrists too stiff and not creating any lag on the backswing. You have to create lag to hold it, hopefully that makes sense. I would think Logan's "flying wedge" drill would be very helpful. I would love to have him explain this drill a little further here as I feel the drill and the PBS in tandem could be massively helpful.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

First off, I'd like to state that the PBS is a great training aid. I've had mine for a few weeks and am about 10 yards longer with every club in my bag without swinging as "hard" as I used to. I carry a 2 handicap, but had peaked there due to a lack of distance (7 iron=~145 yards) which video analysis showed to be from an obvious "casting" motion. Working with the PBS has me getting my hands more in front of the clubhead at impact, however, I don't think I'm enjoying its full benefits yet because I don't really "feel" it on my backswing as I do on the downswing. In an effort to hit the ball straight, I don't **** my wrists much, and that is something I know I need to work on if I want to hit the ball farther, but even in playing around with making a big wrist **** I can't feel the PBS where I'm supposed to.

I just read some of the Moe/Hogan "secret" giant thread (although I still haven't found out what the secret is), and what I've taken from this is that the left thumb is a point where pressure should be felt at the top of the backswing, which would seem to indicate a decent amount of wrist ****. It is cold where I live so I haven't gotten to the range to test my theory out, but I'm thinking that by using the left thumb as my pressure point at the top of backswing to assist in cocking my wrists and the thought of the PBS pressure point on the downswing, I might just be onto something. I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding this that anyone may have.

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble "feeling" the PBS on the backswing (only) and what they were able to do to overcome it.

Disclaimer: I haven't read anything close to the entire Moe/Hogan "secret" thread and my knowledge of TGM is non-existant, so there may have been something in this thread already posted that I missed.

Jason,

I have not forgot about your question I have been so busy at the club that when I got home I passed out before I could write a post that you have requested help with. I am still putting out fires I just wanted to let you know that I will get this done for you. You have great questions that need my attention. Hang in there! I will get to it soon!

The biggest cause of my flipping in the short game was keeping my hands and wrists too stiff and not creating any lag on the backswing. You have to create lag to hold it, hopefully that makes sense. I would think Logan's "flying wedge" drill would be very helpful. I would love to have him explain this drill a little further here as I feel the drill and the PBS in tandem could be massively helpful.

Kevin

Maybe drill isn't the greatest name for it, but to an extent it is a drill. Basically it is a half swing where we focus on holding the flying wedge to the extreme, and essentially never letting it go. Hence the follow through (if you can call it that) I have in that video. Mike Benett used to be an extreme flipper/roller, and when Mac told him that you maintain the wedge through the shot, he went out and hit 1500 balls a day for a few months doing just that drill. Never turning the club over or flipping his wrists through the shot. That look can be found in all GREAT ball strikers. Guys that hit it not only pure but know where it is going almost ALL the time.

There isn't much more to it than that. It is what it looks like. A half swing where you take the flying wedge concept to its max. If you maintain great lag pressure through the shot, the wedge will remain, hands down!

Here is the vid incase people are wondering what the heck we are talking about.

Kevin

Maybe drill isn't the greatest name for it, but to an extent it is a drill. Basically it is a half swing where we focus on holding the flying wedge to the extreme, and essentially never letting it go. Hence the follow through (if you can call it that) I have in that video. Mike Benett used to be an extreme flipper/roller, and when Mac told him that you maintain the wedge through the shot, he went out and hit 1500 balls a day for a few months doing just that drill. Never turning the club over or flipping his wrists through the shot. That look can be found in all GREAT ball strikers. Guys that hit it not only pure but know where it is going almost ALL the time.

There isn't much more to it than that. It is what it looks like. A half swing where you take the flying wedge concept to its max. If you maintain great lag pressure through the shot, the wedge will remain, hands down!

Logan,

Is the Pure Ball Striker be used here?

Thanks for a great post!

Kevin

Logan,

Is the Pure Ball Striker be used here?

Thanks for a great post!

No that vid is old. When working on the flying wedge I would be able to harness it through a drill like that one day, and lose it all together the next. And rarely got it going the way I wanted to in my full swing. It wasn't untill the PBS that I understood what really maintained the flying wedge (lag pressure) and was able to do it on a more consistent basis. I will try and get some good footage up soon!

................................................................................

To add to my previous post. The flying wedge drill is great, but I am actually really enjoying doing what I found to be called the "aiming point drill".

You can do any variation you like really. 3 balls like in the vid or even one at a time works. Just really focusing on deliving your PBS/lag pressure/hands to your aiming point. Mastering it in those little swings makes it very easy to transfer into your full swing. Pretty cool. I suggest everyone gives it a try.

First off, I'd like to state that the PBS is a great training aid. I've had mine for a few weeks and am about 10 yards longer with every club in my bag without swinging as "hard" as I used to. I carry a 2 handicap, but had peaked there due to a lack of distance (7 iron=~145 yards) which video analysis showed to be from an obvious "casting" motion. Working with the PBS has me getting my hands more in front of the clubhead at impact, however, I don't think I'm enjoying its full benefits yet because I don't really "feel" it on my backswing as I do on the downswing. In an effort to hit the ball straight, I don't **** my wrists much, and that is something I know I need to work on if I want to hit the ball farther, but even in playing around with making a big wrist **** I can't feel the PBS where I'm supposed to.

I just read some of the Moe/Hogan "secret" giant thread (although I still haven't found out what the secret is), and what I've taken from this is that the left thumb is a point where pressure should be felt at the top of the backswing, which would seem to indicate a decent amount of wrist ****. It is cold where I live so I haven't gotten to the range to test my theory out, but I'm thinking that by using the left thumb as my pressure point at the top of backswing to assist in cocking my wrists and the thought of the PBS pressure point on the downswing, I might just be onto something. I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding this that anyone may have.

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble "feeling" the PBS on the backswing (only) and what they were able to do to overcome it.

Disclaimer: I haven't read anything close to the entire Moe/Hogan "secret" thread and my knowledge of TGM is non-existant, so there may have been something in this thread already posted that I missed.

I don't feel the PBS in the backswing either. Only from the transition through impact do I feel the pressure on the right index finger.

I guess that means you are more of a swinger. Check out this video. Chuck Evans describes exactly what you did when he was describing a "swinger".

Somewhere around the 1:15 mark he talks about where a hitter and swinger will feel PP#3.

This maybe to long!

Sounds like you are getting great results from the Pure Ball Striker.

You are directing you hands more forward towards the bottom of your swing arc which is going to give you more clubhead lag pressure remember pressure is feel and helps you sense your direction.

About the left thumb this maybe misunderstood as a strong grip. I still have not posted these photos of this point but right index finger first joint or the butt pad that Mr. Hogan referred to runs on a parallel line with the left thumb and there can be pressure in the left thumb as well as on the right index finger/trigger finger. It is about where the player feels the pressure, there is not any one-way to feel it. The player must however support the club design, which places pressure on the aft side of the grip. This pressure does not alone define the difference between a Hitter and Swinger but the direction of the pressure.

For example: the loading of the players pressure maybe under or to the side of the grip. To the side of the grip the player will feel it start to load maybe sooner like at the start of backswing. Under the grip it may feel like a lighter loading and a heaver pressure in the start-down/transition.

I feel a lighter pressure of the Pure Ball Striker in my backswing motion and a heaver at the start-down. I am aware of what I have pre-selected before I start my motion. This lighter feeling gives me the sense of a ¼ of a turn going back and a ¼ of a turn coming down.

I feel a heaver pressure of the Pure Ball Striker in my backswing motion when I resist the ¼ of a turn going back and holding coming down.

I can perform well with either. Remember the player will sense/feel this differently all that truly matters is that they can sustain the clubhead lag pressure which will sustain the line of compression creating more crisp ball strikes with better direction and distance control.

As Homer Kelley stated in his work called The Golfing Machine the secret of golf is being able to sustain the line of compression. It is simple, elusive, indispensable, without substitute or compensation, and always present. It can be any one or any combination of pressure points selected to sense clubhead acceleration rate and direction but herein unless otherwise specified, always refers to the Pressure Point #3.

The Pure Ball Striker senses this Pressure Point #3 or the trigger finger and allows the player to sense and direct their motions better from putter thru driver and all golf shots in between.

Awesome post Jeff. Any chance you can go a little more in depth as to what exactly the line of compression is?

The Line of Compression is the direction of the Impact force as related to various centerlines for determinig Ball Behavior.

Basically, it is the line formed from Impact to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point.

Awesome post Jeff. Any chance you can go a little more in depth as to what exactly the line of compression is?

The Line of Compression is the direction of the Impact force as related to various centerlines for determinig Ball Behavior.

Basiclly, it is the line formed from Impact to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point.

Happy Birthday Jeff!

Basiclly, it is the line formed from Impact to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point.

Happy Birthday Jeff!

Thanks!

So finally I got my - thanks - ordered 1 recived 2 :)

I of course checked it out with a iron, and it feels of course really wired. I than checked the paper that was within the package. I am a bit lost about

2) with extensor action through the trigger finger pressure stretch the club to the top of the motion - I don´t know how I must understand this?. Do I have to press my index finger on the pbs device and make my backswing?

3) once at the top draw an invisible line from your pbs to your indicidual aiming point - This one is making more sense to me, than the first, but I suppose the aiming ball should be the ball ?

Of course I haven´t trained with it yet, so it is still a bit early - but would like to be sure I don´t make any wrong exersizes with it

So finally I got my - thanks - ordered 1 recived 2 :)

I of course checked it out with a iron, and it feels of course really wired. I than checked the paper that was within the package. I am a bit lost about

2) with extensor action through the trigger finger pressure stretch the club to the top of the motion - I don´t know how I must understand this?. Do I have to press my index finger on the pbs device and make my backswing?

3) once at the top draw an invisible line from your pbs to your indicidual aiming point - This one is making more sense to me, than the first, but I suppose the aiming ball should be the ball ?

Of course I haven´t trained with it yet, so it is still a bit early - but would like to be sure I don´t make any wrong exersizes with it

Aiming point is covered an awful lot in this thread. For most people it is somewhere around their left big toe. So bringing the PBS down to a point even with your left foot is the desired feeling. Obviously there is room to discover what feeling works best for you, but that is a great starting point.

As far as number 2 it simply means feel the PBS and make your backswing. Everyone feels the PBS differently on their backswing.

Rossonero,

I am not a professional, just a struggling golfer trying to get better. In my opinion, Jeffs' device is the real deal. Not only is his "PBS" important for clubhead lag, his customer service is unbelievable. Jeff is the most unselfish golf instructor; with his time, I have ever had the priviledge to know. He will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the device or the TGM on line or by telephone.