2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Wedge replacements?

parkinni

for Cally Forged+
Currently playing with 54° and 58° Callaway Forged+ Vintage wedges (both 12° bounce), and love them on everything except ¾ length and full shots. Around the greens they are money for me, and the feel/spin is fantastic. However, on full shots, they always seem to look too small to me, and I don't really feel the head much during the swing. I don't have much confidence in them, and it's a lottery as to how the shot will turn out: some good, some bad. Sometimes, it can be almost 50-50 whether I hit a sh*nk or not!

Both clubs have the factory Cally wedge shaft in them, and I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Is that shaft known to be stiffer than most?

Right now, I'm looking at alternatives and, if I decide to, I'd change them for something with a larger face/head, and more of a higher/squarer toe shape. Also, something where I can feel the head weight more during full shots, and get more control.

A while ago, Sam's Club had one of the Cleveland 588 wedges on sale, but I missed the boat and didn't pick one up to try out. I'd heard that they were a classic.

Based on my experience with the Callaways, I'd like to keep the same lofts, say, 54°/58°, or maybe 53°/58° (no higher than 58°, though).

Does anyone have any recommendations on a suitable brand/model that might fit the bill for me?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to try Titleist Vokey and Cleveland CG wedges. These both have a higher swing weight than the Forged+'s which are (D4) and both are good quality. The Vokey's are (D5) and CG's are (D6).

From my experiences with the CG black wedges, they definitely felt heavier in the head than other wedges I have played. I just had a problem getting too much spin on full wedge shots and was tearing up balls a little too much.

Good luck in your search!

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS 6.0 60g

3 wood - Sonartec NP99 w/ Matrix Ozik 60R

Rescue - Sonartec TRC 20* w/ Graphalloy ProLaunch Blue 60R

Hybrid - Adams Pro 3,4 & 5 w/ Adila VS Proto 80R

Irons - Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-P w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i95R

Wedge - Cleveland Black Tour Action 588 56* w/ Dynamic Gold wedge shaft

Putter - Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS 35" Stroke Lab shaft

When I bought my brand new X-14 irons off eBay last April, they came with a pair of the original Cally Forged wedges. Those things were super small, so I quickly resold them and got the larger Forged+'s. I don't know what it is about them, but they look really round and still smaller than I'd prefer, and I'm having some problems.

The wedges in my old Ping ISI's were really nice, and had a larger than average head with a high, square toe. I played with those clubs for 7 years and grew to like that shape of club head. I guess that's what I'm looking for in a specialty wedge, and not something that's identical to the Callaway shape.

Maybe it's a mental thing, but full shots with the Callies feel like I'm swinging a poker!

Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

Abewley: if I decide to dump the current wedges, I'll give you first dibs on the 58*. It's a shame you weren't looking for one last Dec., 'cos I had an unused spare and put it in the Classifieds here for $60 shipped. Never got a sniff, but sold it within 2 days over at GD forum.

Well, I understand what you mean about the Ping wedges. I've been playing them for

years and have become too dependent on the "largeness" of them. I've got a

60 degree Vokey that I've ground on that I use around the green. But when it comes to

hitting anything over 60 yards, it's time to go to the Eye2+ Sand wedge.

Why not get yourself a couple of ping wedges? (Eye2, ISI, Blade)

Sounds like good advice, reebus. I've said this recently in one or two of my other posts, but I went through a spell of hitting my custom-fitted ISI's 'fat' last Spring (and maybe got a little of the "seven-year itch" at the same time), and went and sold them. Bought a new set of X-14's with the Uniflex shafts, which are a different animal. I like the lighter swingweight of the Callies, and I think the forgiveness is better than the Pings (don't hit it fat anymore, that's for sure), but there's a definite lack of feedback from my shots that I do miss. I'm not convinced that the Cally shaft is the same quality as the JZ-R that Ping uses, either. I think that there's something to what's said about the negative aspects of playing with irons that are TOO forgiving.

Anyway, I became VERY attached to the ISI wedges (plus 8 & 9 irons, too) and miss them a lot. Yes, they were big, but they were nimble enough for me. Bottom line is that I regret letting my Pings go in a lot of ways. I still have the buyer's email address, so I could always ask him if he's interested in swapping them back for some lightly used X-14's!

Sorry for getting off topic here, but do you have any experience with the Ping MB/Tour wedges? Are they a little larger than the standard Cleveland/Vokey types? How do they perform?

Maybe I should go and get some short game lessons and see how I feel about things afterwards? I've got to do something, 'cos I'm dropping more shots than I'd like to due to this whole issue.

PS. Click HERE for a peek at my old ISI's :drinks:(sniff!)

Yeah, I've tried the new MB Ping wedges. They are definitely more traditional-

looking than the ISI's or EYE2's. I have to say that, in my opinion, they

are no more forgiving than a Cleveland, Vokey, etc. Might as well

go with one of them. I think that there is nothing to compare with the

feedback of the Clevelands/Vokeys/Callaeays etc. etc. But if you

have no confidence in them, then you are toast.

As you can tell, my irons are the BECU models, and they give me

a lot of feedback on where I am striking the ball. I'll keep them as

long as they have grooves. Starting to look for backups right now. You

can find good, serviceable Ping Wedges on E-Bay for reasonable prices.

Why not buy a sand wedge and see if your confidence level goes up?

...I think that there is nothing to compare with the feedback of the Clevelands/Vokeys/Callaways etc. etc. But if you have no confidence in them, then you are toast....Why not buy a sand wedge and see if your confidence level goes up?
Wise words, mate! The Callies are the first forged wedges I've ever owned, and I totally agree with you that the feedback is fantastic. For around the green, and up and down work close in, they are supremely flexible. They give me the confidence to play almost any kind of shot, and I'm always thinking about holing it, or leaving a tap-in at worst (doesn't always come off though!)....but you know the feeling. Don't want to give that up.

But my problem is from further out. I like your suggestion (and Lord T's too) about picking up an ISI SW and seeing if it brings back any of the magic. My old set had the S2 wedge, but I've forgotten the Ping lofts for these wedges. I'll bone up on the designations, and see if I can pick up a 53°/54° on eBay.

BTW, I was playing with Green Dot/+¾" ISI's before. Is it possible to bend a std. Ping Black Dot wedge up 2° at your local pro shop, should I ever want to do that?

I think that you can have them bent a maximum of 2 degrees. (At least that's what

I've been told). There is some risk in bending a cast club any more than that. If

you do go the Ping route, might I suggest a BECU EYE 2, Eye2+, or even a Zing2.

The EYE2 will set you back a lot more than the other two models. Illegal square

grooves and all that..... To me the feel of the BECU is superior to the regular

stainless steel. I think that the "newer" wedges can be had for $50.00 - $75.00

depending on conmdition. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

That's good to know, reebus.....now I can try a common or garden variety Black Dot wedge then.

One question on the beryllium copper: Does the higher density of the Cu (compared to stainless) make for a much heavier club at all? I guess too, that the softer copper gives you more feel (though not as soft as forged carbon steel)? Sorry...that's two questions!

I've never really noticed that they are that much heavier than

the stainless steel models. But I tend to like a heavier swing-weight

anyhow. I've got all of mine swing-weighted to D4. Maybe one of the

more "technically oriented" members could chime in.

As far as feel goes, the BECU definitely gives a softer, more forged-like

feel than the stainless. I played forged irons up to the point that I went to

Pings, (About 15 years ago) and one of the first things I noticed about the

stainless Pings was the fact that I lost some feel and feedback. I don't think

that the BECU's give a feel exactly like a good forging, but they are much

better than the stainless models.

There has been a lot of discussion concerning bending "older" castings.

Some say that once the metal gets to a certain age that it becomes more

brittle and that this makes it much harder, and less advised, to bend them too

much. I would wait until I found a wedge in the proper color-code if it was me.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've never hit

the Nickel ISI's so I can't really comment on them. I have

hit the BECU ISI and it is sweet. That particular model

is just a little "big" for me. I prefer the EYE2. That said, it

sure sounds to me that you might want to start watching

EBAY for the right set of ISI's! :D

No problem. I'm glad you're taking the time to reply, and I appreciate the help!

I'm not really superstitious, but when I had my ISI's I rarely saw another set when I was out and about playing in SC. After starting this thread, I took yesterday afternoon off work and walked 18 holes. It was a little brisk out and there was only one other guy waiting to play when I got to the course, but guess what irons he had in the bag.......yup, ISI-S! Is this some sort of omen?

Anyway, your last comment suggests that I might be moving back to the Pings, and there's more than a little truth in that remark. When I moved here from the UK back in '97, I had always wanted a set of Ping irons but could never justify the price back home. When I arrived in the States (Portland, OR. to be exact) I started playing a lot of golf at a course called Quail Valley, just west of Pumpkin Ridge. They were Ping dealers, and I bit the bullet and went through the whole outdoor fitting routine, finally ordering a set of ISI-S, +3/4", Green dot (even had my name engraved in cursive script on the hosel!)

In the stores, newer models came and went, but I never had the urge to change. I think you know that feeling too! It was only last April, when I seemed to hit everything fat, that I (somehow) convinced myself that the Pings were too heavy, and I got rid of them for a new set of X-14's. Don't get me wrong, I've hit some great shots with the Callaways, but I'm not getting the feel from the Uniflex shaft that I had with the Ping JZ-R. In hindsight, I should have gone for a lesson, but like a plonker I got rid of my clubs!

So, yes, there I was last night scanning the deals at eBay. I didn't see any wedges to buy, but I thought about picking up some irons. There was a set of Nickel ISI's (Blue dot, +1/2") that I fancied, but they had DG S300 shafts. Ah well, I'll keep looking.

Incidentally, before I bought the Callys, I considered the G2's. Glad I didn't get those. Don't like the shape of any of the newer Pings at all. However, one of my (misguided) friends just got some (he's convinced that he's a tour player, but routinely shoots in the 80's like me). We went to play a course just down the road from Pinehurst NC, and he had yet another awful round with his Titleist 690.CB's (see what I mean?). Before we did the replay, he walked into the pro shop and traded them in (+ $200) for a new set of G2's! My other buddy and I were absolutely gobsmacked! His ball striking was tons better though second time around.

Anyway, I think I'll keep my eyes peeled on the web and see if anything tickles my fancy. I've noticed that the BeCu Pings really hold their value (you're a lucky dog!). I'd love to find a set of ISI's under $300, so that I don't really lose anything on the Callaways should I change. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Cheers.

Go to SMTgolf.com and look at their durometer wedges. These things are awesome. Had them in the bag for a long time. Check their retailer list and have one built with whatever shaft you want. Suggestion for a retailer is myostrichgolf.com.

Try one and I've got a hunch you'll like a lot. They are a real hidden gem.