2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

iPHONE GOLF APPLICATIONS (Merged)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one does look pretty good but the price is a little deterrent for me. That was my 1st choice based only on online research, but I haven't decided if its worth laying out the $40 they are charging for it. Have you had the opportunity to use it on course yet? Were you able to compare it to any other device such as a laser rangefinder or Skycaddie for accuracy?

I have downloaded GolfTraxx as well. My home course was not already mapped so I took the time, about 25 minutes, to map it using Google Earth. It was quite simple. I sent GolfTraxx the file and within minutes my course was ready to be downloaded through the program and I was out on the course. The yardages were spot on. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who doesn't want to spend the money on a separate unit as well as avoiding yearly fees.

I use greenfinder the most and my friend uses a sky caddie and its 1 or 2 yards off at the most. But I paid 30 bucks to his 300. I just use a external battery with it and it will last 36 holes. Not to mention the external battery is solar powered as well so I never run out of battery life. But as the applications advance I think they will only get better.

This sounds great. Is the external battery an after-market product or can you get it from the Iphone store?

http://www.flycaddie.com/

Has anyone tried this iphone golf gps app? It looks like the best one so far..... I just cannot see upro or skycaddie surviving.... eventually the accuracy and software on the iphone will make the other devices obsolete.... kind of hard to justify spending $400 on a UPRO.

At least these apps allow you to keep better score and to track stats.....

In the last few months it seems as if there has been a large influx of iPhone Golf GPS Apps. I have a laser rangefinder but you can't always hit everything with it, so I am looking for an inexpensive fallback in the form of an iPhone App.

Any one use any iPhone Apps with success? Which ones were the best? What kind of margin for error is there since the recent iPhone firmware update? Has anyone compared results to laser rangefinder?

There's snow on the ground here in NJ, so I haven't taken it on the course yet but I found what looks like a good one called myCaddie. It lets you map out your own landmarks (bunkers, hazards, etc.) on their website. More work but allows more user input and I found it a fun way to learn courses I haven't played yet.

Curious to know what you guys think?

P.S. I hope I put this in the right Forum

If someone were to chart greens with a Breakmaster and have courses available for download...this would be huge. Knowing where the fall lines are will save people many stokes. Almost no one would actually take the time to use the Breakmaster to chart the slope and fall lines on the greens. Just an idea. I would subscribe. I am playing Pebble Beach on Friday, Spanish Bay on Sat, and can't find anything online.

• 4 weeks later...
I think tee droid works with the blackberry. Its pretty cool it tracks all your shot distances and number of putts all that good stuff.

Currently using TEEDROID on my G1 and in conjunction with my Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 finding greenside yardages are accurate and a breeze.........the G1 GPS Caddy is 20 for the year and the developer gets me all the courses I've needed.........for newer courses, there is a mapping program(yet to try) green depth has been extremely accurate and with a quick glance very much at real time speed(no lagging) this service is also available for blackberry and iphone!!!

Yup. TeeDroid looks awesome! Works on blackberry, iphone, and the G1. I have the G1. Downloaded the program earlier this week. They didn't have my home course so I mapped it myself using Google Earth. And there's no initial cost. It was a free download and it comes with a 15 day trial, plus I get a 4 month extension just for mapping one course! And if I get tired of mapping courses, then it's only 20 bucks a year. The first course I mapped took me about 2 hours, but I was just learning and since it's my home course I was very meticulous to map many, many landmarks. I'm sure I could do another with just tees and front/middle/back of the green in 30-45 minutes.

I haven't played yet, but I walked a few holes this evening and it seems real accurate. The club has a loaner Garmin, so I'll see if I can borrow it tomorrow for a side by side test. The program has tons of data gathering, so it you log every shot then after a few rounds you can have accurate data regarding average distance for each club, driving distance, etc. And you can overlay your round on the map on your computer when you get home. Lot's of other stuff I'm forgetting. If this thing is half as good as they say then I'n going to be so glad I didn't spend $300 on a stand alone unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an iPhone, and I looked for awhile for a program that can do it all as well. Most of them are horrible, but I did come across one that has been mentioned here on this thread called GolfCard. You can get it right from the app store, and its only 5 bucks. It has a real easy to use scorecard that can be as simple or indepth as you want, including number of putts per round, GIR's, fairways hit, strokes, stableford scores, you name it... Next version is coming out with some other modes such as different gambling games for golf. The GPS on GolfCard is pretty darn accurate. I have the 3G iPhone, so for me its very fast, but a buddy of mine who has the original iPhone says its a lot slower, so be warned. The GPS is very similar to that of the uPro. Having both, I would personally much rather have this iPhone app than the uPro. The only thing I dont like about the app is that you cant move around the hole or the course to get a better view like you can with the uPro. Basically its just an aerial view that you can zoom in on, but on the long par 4's/5's, it only shows so much on the screen.

The anywhere yardage thats on the uPro is similar to this program, in that you basically drag your finger on the screen wherever you want, and it tells you how many yards. I have tested the yardage compared to my Bushnell 1500, and its pretty much spot on. So for 5 bucks, you save a ton of money in not having to buy a SC5 or a uPro, and you get a nice scorecard where you can look at all your stats, get your "unofficial" USGA handicap after 6 recorded rounds, look at trends, and even email all that info to anyone you want. Kinda hard not to try it for 5 bucks! Plus the fact that is has over 20,500 courses that are pre-mapped, which is VERY close in numbers to the 23,000 that SC has mapped. Good luck!

I'm looking for a golf stats app. I don't need the GPS functionality, just the stats. Basically i'm looking for general stats, i.e. fairways, gir, putts, sand saves, up and downs, etc. Also it would be nice to have something i can use to track distances for clubs. I already have a gps that can mark off the distance, so i just want to be able to keep track. Anyone know of any good ones?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Golfshot (www.golfshot.com) is looking pretty good and has the best rating of all the golf apps I've seen in the app store.

It tracks your shots, keeps your scores, provides you with statistics, recommends clubs based on your input and uses your 2nd or 3rd gen iPhone's built in GPS to give you distances. I can't say how accurate the GPS part is as I've not tried it before. I have, however, played with some of their free demos (for example, they have a free GPS Turnberry demo) and it's pretty cool. It gives you lots of distances each hole and you can drag your finger around and get any distance it doesn't automatically give you. As some previous posters said, I'm sure it's more than accurate enough for high-handicappers.

There are two versions of the app. The $30 version includes GPS and the $0.99 keeps your score and various helpful statistics. I currently use the $0.99 version and it doesn't put a dent in the battery. I don't know how well the GPS version works with battery drainage, but the reviews seem to be positive.

They also claim they'll add any course you request within a week. I requested a course a couple weeks ago and it was up in about 5-6 days.

I second golfshots, and would add View TI Golf to the mix. Compared both with an SG5, and is just as accurate, but also includes full scorecard/stats, length of last shot and an aerial (google maps) of the hole, allowing you to move a marker around to get distances to a particular spot on the fairway or green. Far better than standard GPS devices. Even Garmin is getting in on the game, go to golflogix.com.

I can't say I've ever used an iPhone on the course and so I don't know how accurate the yardage is (although many people are saying it's garbage on here), but from the demos that I've seen of the AIRVUE on youtube, it would be the one of choice for me since you don't have to map anything out. You can find the distance for anything on the course by simply dragging the curser on the iPhone from your current position to the marker you'd like to see yardage for (whether it be a lake edge, sand trap, green or tree). I really like that ability, and in comparison to other products on the market, it's only $25, which seems reasonable to me if it works like advertised.

Here's a link to one of their youtube vids. It's the first one if you search Airvue:

[quote name='Rickochet' post='1851375' date='Jul 29 2009, 04:51 PM']I have a basic question for phone use of a GPS application. If you have a wireless phone turned on to use a golf gps app are you being charged against your plan minutes?[/quote]

Not if you have the iPhone w/ unlimited data package. The gps is free but the google maps program would use a significant amount of data.

[quote name='JoeyMakesBirdie' post='1851440' date='Jul 29 2009, 04:26 PM'][quote name='Rickochet' post='1851375' date='Jul 29 2009, 04:51 PM']I have a basic question for phone use of a GPS application. If you have a wireless phone turned on to use a golf gps app are you being charged against your plan minutes?[/quote]

Not if you have the iPhone w/ unlimited data package. The gps is free but the google maps program would use a significant amount of data.
[/quote]

There is only one data plan offered for the iPhone and it's unlimited. AT&T doesn't offer different data plan packages.

Your calling plan minutes are only affected when you make or take a phone call.

Here's a little information to share, comparing a Rangefinder, iPhone app and a GPS golf device. For the last 8-10 tournament rounds, I have compared the new iPhone app - Golflogix, the new Garmin Approach and a Bushnell Rangefinder within my foursome. The iphone app was off by 7-10 yds on the courses I played within the San Francisco bay and Monterey/Pebble Beach area. Accuracy for the Garmin and Bushnell was within 1-2 yds. Also, at one of the courses in the hills of Milpitas, where cell signal was alway poor, there was no gps/app connection for the iphone. I have moved on to the Garmin from SkyCaddie due to the annual fees and I am totally happy with the function and use. Hope this info was useful for all. Aloha, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

fwiw, i like the airvue satellite images the most since you can pick out distances to any spot and it shows you the distance from there too the hole and also shows you the distances to like traps and lakes. there arent a ton of traps and lakes marked however, but it is ok.
golfshot has more stuff marked (so does golflogix but gl doesnt have pictures of the hole) but you have to hop bak and forth if you want to see all the marked distances since they are on another screen. the charts and graphs they make are quite nice tho.
there are some reviews here
[url="http://criticalgolf.com/iphone-golf-gps-software/"]http://criticalgolf.com/iphone-golf-gps-software/[/url]
but not of golflogix or golfcard or teedroid

I just want to add here my props for Golf Shot.

[url="http://golfshot.com/"]http://golfshot.com/[/url]

I've been using for about a month now, 4 rounds, and it's great. Sure it takes a couple of seconds to lock on the exact distances, but while it's doing that, you're going to walk it off, look at the course layout, check the wind anyways, and then stand at the ball - you then hold up the iPhone and by this time it's locked on.

It's $30. You can't beat that. Why would you buy another machine like SkyCaddie to carry around?

Battery life? Not a problem, at all. I leave my iPhone plugged in all the way to the course in my car, and even with an hour's range time before the round, there's plenty of battery life left.

I love it.

forgot to add a quick note on batteries since just mentioned -

i find that no matter which app i have used, if i mess around with your phone while playing (enter/exit the app a bit while checking email to sending texts or stuff), keep playing with the view and screen as you walk down the hole to figure out what to do, you can absolutely burn through an entire battery in a round. that is the extreme use of the phone while playing, but just so everybody who hasnt used one knows it can be easily done. on the best day using any app i have enough to juice left for a call home after the round, but no way could i finish 36 without recharging...

make sure to take the usual steps to save battery (like no wifi, stop downloading mail, etc)

• 2 years later...

I like the app "[url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/short-game-tutor/id460660942?ls=1&mt=8%20"]Short Game Tutor[/url]" it is a practice aid app that measures the accuracy of your short game and stores the results for monitoring your progress. Its pretty cool. Saves me time when I practice and it reminds me what shots I need the most work on. I have not used any GPS apps because I have a Bushnell that works great.

• 2 months later...

GolfShotGPS all the way. The current update is almost flawless. The battery usage is next to nothing. I use it with everything turned on (3G-wifi etc) screen on full brightness and track all my full shots and I don't think I've gone below 85% from full charge. The accuracy is spot on even when compared with my playing partners laser rangefinders or $400 stand alone gps units. I can track all my stats and as of last update can even track individual shot distances to precicely manage what I'm hitting each club. It lets you put all your layup distances in which is quick and it gets a green light signal lock in no time. It ticks so many boxes and for $35 is a steal. I do have a few things to be mindful of though, because it is an Internet enabled device it is dependant on local rules as to wether you are allowed to use it or not in competition play. My club lets you so it's easy for me. The other thing I'd like to see addresses is the ability to add your own points. It would be awesome to have the ability to add custom points on the map. But all in all I think it has to rank highly out of all gps devices and apps from all price points.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]