2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Searching for new irons

jkawaguchi

I'm trying to get an idea for what type of irons will fit my game and my goals the best...this is my first post, so I'll try not to get long-winded...

-Current state of game...I dropped my handicap by 6 strokes this last year to a 17 and want to do the

same next year, with a final goal of being single digits...

-I currently have in my bag...

-TM R7 Quad HT 9.5 with stock stiff shaft

-TM 4 V-Wood

-Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scots 3-PW

-Cleveland 588 53*, 56*, and 60*

-TM Rossa Monza putter

-I am interested in TM OS2, LT2, Titleist 775.CB, Callaway X-18 Pro...I have hit all of these except the

Titleist, any input on them would be great.

-Also, the set of irons that I get will also get the matching wedges, i.e. Titleist Spin Milled Vokey, etc.

I am getting these as a graduation gift from my wife and I don't want to have to feel the need to replace them as my game gets better. Any input would be appreciated...especially from people who have hit the Titleist irons...there is still snow on the ground here...

Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated...distance doesn't play as much of a role as control with me, I am valuing feel and control above everything at the moment...

Thanks,

jkawaguchi

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was afraid to try those blades before since i just picked up golf 2 years ago. I use cobra ss-i and now moving up to MP32s. My handicap as of now is 12. I have demo'd the 32s and i have hit them fine. I just bought a mizuno mp 32 and this year will be my first with blades. There's a thread here in regards to playing CB or Blades. But to me to get better is using blade and knowing that there's some or no offset on the blades makes you more focus on hitting the ball in the sweetspot. Also with game improvements irons you don't get that feel when you mishit in the toe and such.

I love the look of blades and I guess that is part of hitting an iron confidently...if I go with the MP-32's I'll probably short the set to a 4-PW and get a hybrid...

I tried the Callaway X-18 and flushed my first shot onto the green and I felt nothing...I hate that, if I make a good shot let me know, I also shanked one on purpose and didn't feel that either...I want a club that I can learn how to hit from...

Yeah there you go or you could go 5-PW which right now is in my bag. Then have a hybrid one or two instead of the 3 and 4 iron. I think that MP 32 is very easy to hit than the mp 30's. In fact i talked to the mizuno rep and said that the 32 is much more easier and forgiving to hit than the mp30s. Good luck in your search.

As far as your shaft for your driver, my suggestion is try the UST V2. That's what i have right now on my Titleist 905T. Before the 905T i have a cobra offset driver. It made me think whether i should have a club or clubs that help me correct my slice or use a regular/traditional club that don't have an offset and learn how to hit a straight shot. That is why i am going with little or no offset with the driver and same goes with the irons.

you might want to look at either the ping I5's or even I3+ blades (really cheap now). both are very nice clubs and even though they are cast they feel great. they seem to fall right into what you are looking for, something that will keep lowering your handicap and a club that's not going to need to be switched as you get better. plus you said you wanted matching wedges and the ping mb tour wedges just won the golf magazine test vs. some of the big boys (cg 10, tp y-cutter).

another solid club is the CG4 tour, i personally haven't played it yet but it looks very sharp. it seems very forgiving while still giving you the feel you are looking for.

I've looked at the Mizuno's and have read a few reviews, and both the MP-32 and -60 are in the hunt...also, is there a better shaft for my driver? I have a fairly fast swing speed and I am currently using a stiff shaft, I'm looking at switching to an X-shaft...any suggestions?

Swing Speed is not the only factor to consider when picking out a shaft. It also depends on how you load the shaft and what feels confortable. My SS is 110 and I reshafted a Cally FT3 from stiff to X and I went from liking this driver to hating it. I hit it 10 times and proceeded to ebay it right away. Try to demo as many shafts as possible. What shaft to you play in your driver now? I see it is the stock MAS shaft from TM. Try an after market shaft in stiff with low torque and you might like it better than an X.

What is your SS?

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

I'm not sure about my swing speed, but my usual drive is around 285-300, the main problem that I'm having is that about half way down on my swing I feel the shaft really flex, and when that happens, I'll slice. What I'm after is a shaft that I feel I don't have to manipulate and just swing at my usual 80-85%. Also, would it benefit me to shorten my shaft to 44"? Thanks...

you might want to look at either the ping I5's or even I3+ blades (really cheap now). both are very nice clubs and even though they are cast they feel great. they seem to fall right into what you are looking for, something that will keep lowering your handicap and a club that's not going to need to be switched as you get better. plus you said you wanted matching wedges and the ping mb tour wedges just won the golf magazine test vs. some of the big boys (cg 10, tp y-cutter).

I've hit the Ping G2's, mainly because I thought blade-like irons where out of my league, however, it seems I need to readjust my thinking to the 21st century in regards to blades...

This site is VERY addicting and I'm a golf junkie...so that just compounds the problem...I called tgw.com today and they quoted me a price that was $150 cheaper on the -32's and $100 cheaper on the -60's...which now puts it in my price range...if I order the custom fit, are their measurements pretty accurate in terms of lie angle changes...if anyone has ordered from there, let me know...I'm pretty far from any pro shops that fit...

What do you guys think about a set that has 3, 4, 5 irons in -60's and the rest in -32's...or would you keep the sets whole...

Spec's should be correct TGW orders direct and I believe in most cases has them drop shipped from Mizuno. There are a few people using mixed sets, hopefully one of them will chime in, I however prefer the slight edge in forgiveness the 60's provide throughout the set I'm sticking with them, my 32's may get some play later in the summer ;)

Not to turn into salesman here, but...

I bought a new set of MP-60s, 4-PW last month (I'm a 25 handicap). They've just been too much for my game. I posted a trade request in the SALE section of Golfwrx earlier today (I'm looking to switch to the MX-23).

What specs are you looking for in custom fit? Mine are:

DG R300 steel shafts

+1"

2 degrees flat

Tour Velvet Wrap Midsize grips

-TJW

Welcome to the board. Everyone will have their own opinions but you have to remember to use what works best for you. All opinions are good I'm sure.

In my opinion try the Wilson Staff Pi5 irons and their matching wedges the Wilson Staff Tw5. For whatever reason the Wilson Staff name does not get any use, or love. I love mine already for a lot of reasons, thin top line (a cavity back that resembles a blade), and a soft forged feel (even in below zero weather). The wedges spin like crazy. Parnevik and Harrington use the Pi5 on Tour and Paddy uses the Tw5 wedges also.

Good Luck,

Alex