2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MX-19 graphites for "less pain" ? ?

Anyone switched to these or other graphites?
Well.....it seems that AGE is finally catching up with me..........(I'm 54) black%20eye.gif

I have played for 20 years, and have been as low as a +2 handicap. I even played one of the mini tours for 2 years with moderate success.

But here's the BAD news......

Five years ago I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc and the DR advised that I quit playing. I took his advice and totally quit. BUT, 2 months ago I went in for a visit and it seems that the disc has re-inflated to the point that I can start playing again. YIPPEE! I immediately went to the range and hit 20-25 balls, fully expecting to wake up the following morning in excruciating pain. Nope. All was well. I have played and practiced (in moderation) for the past 2 months with no problems. I'm SOOOO excited to get back out again!

But my distance has dropped off to the point that I know in my heart it won't be back completely. And my Rifles are starting to cause a little discomfort if I do a little too much practicing. I'm a "range rat" and sincerely LOVE to hit balls, so that's concerning.

All in all.....I've decided to simply enjoy the game and not turn myself inside-out like I used to trying to be "perfect" anymore.

I just hit the MX-19 at a local range, and they felt pretty smooth. Distance seems to be good, and the ball flight is wonderful.

Has anyone gone to these irons (or any others) with graphite shafts after playing steel for an extended period? I know that there is going to be a learning curve, but is there anything looming that you guys can warn me of ahead of time?

Thanks for reading my concerns, and I'm really excited to be playing again!

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the switch to graphite to spare my back. Made a big difference -- my back has been great since I made the change. Golf-wise the graphites are lighter and I have to watch out for a tendency toward arms-only swing.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Thank you, Sir.....that's the kind of info that I was looking for. I'm not too worried about overswinging or getting quick. I've been told that I'm a carbon copy of Fred Couples (if only I were that good) and don't get overly aggressive.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on being able to return to golf. I have had some spine compression issues and a daily stretching routine has done wonders for me.

I am a mere mid-cap so not sure how helpful my experience will be for someone with a history of real golfing ability.

I originally switched to graphite irons due to bouts of tendonitis.  It is my impression that the graphite iron shafts of recent years is much improved.  Better players with good swing speed have the option of heavier graphite (one example is the Mizuno IS2 Tour shaft). So with a proper fitting you should be able to find a graphite shaft that fits your swing tempo.  Personally I love to go to the range and hit balls so without graphite there is no way I could practice as much as I am able to using graphite.

I have recently been fitted and ordered the Mizuno MX-200 irons with the Exsar IS2 shafts. The forged head with a graphite shaft is ideal for my joint issues.  I still use steel wedges and it does feel strange to switch back and forth during a round. BUT, thank goodness we have the option of graphite irons that allow many of us to continue to golf or return to golf.  I have also replaced long irons with more forgiving hybrids. Senior golfers have never had it better in terms of the game saving options of graphite and hybrids.

Good luck!

I switched a few years ago - I played Mizuno MP-37's with DG steel but went to MX-25’s with IS2 (not Tour Spec) graphite shafts to cut down on elbow and finger pain. I had a terrible time making the adjustment to the lighter feel and was continually fighting a fast arms swing. I finally gave up and went back to steel. But it didn’t take long for elbow and finger pain to return. I then made another attempt at graphite and went to TM R7's. I had similar fast swing feelings but stuck it out and finally started feeling comfortable, but I missed the workability and the feel of a forged club. I then took big step and it was a mistake for me. I purchased MP-52's with the heavier IS2 Tour Spec 103 gram graphite shaft. It was a load and I quickly gave up on them (maybe too soon). It certainly wasn’t anything lacking with the clubs performance. I just didn’t have the ball striking ability. I went back to the R7’s and stayed with them for awhile and became accustomed to the 65 gram shaft.

I know if you want a graphite shaft that is top notch and has similar weight to steel then the IS2 Tour Spec is one heck of a shaft. The standard Mizuno IS2 or IS4 graphite is light but with time you should be able to adapt. Oh I forgot; I was surprised that I lost distance with the Mizuno irons. The TM's were are hotter and being de-lofted fool you into believing you get more distance.

What did I end up with? Well as much as a Mizuno fan that I am I couldn’t get back to them. If I made another attempt with Mizuno it would be the MX-100 or 200’s. I ended up with TM Tour Burners with Re-Ax 65 gram graphite shafts. I like the head (narrow top line and sole) and can work the ball more than the R7's. The shafts are a little weak so I would suggest one be careful. TM also has an upgraded graphite that is 100+ grams and plays stiffer.

Making the change to graphite is not easy. I experienced timing problems, hot shots and erratic shot patterns. Sometimes when I busted an iron I got nothing, then other times the iron launched way past what was expected. Now after time I am becoming more consistent with distances. One complaint I’ve always heard from good players (I’m not one) is that graphite irons are too erratic. Hopefully you will get past this since graphite is a big help in reducing joint pain. Good luck and hope your health stays good for many great future rounds.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star