Hitting in between distances

Especially inside 100 yards
Hi guys,

Just a question that has been bugging me for quite some time...

How do you hit in between clubs inside the 100 yard range. Do you:

1. have a clock system
2. vary the speed of the downswing
3. other techniques?

It would be good to know what works for you guys out there so i can try it out too.

thanks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I did and I cut 3-4 strokes off my handicap doing so.

You'll need a large practice area, something less than a full LB or SW(depending on what you carry). This practice area doesn't have to be a range....any soccor field or football field should work. There is a place about 4 miles from my house that has a large pitching/chipping area.

I went to the center of the green and marked off yardages of 30-40-50-60-70 yards. I started hitting balls until I found the right club for the yardage I was at. I prefer the clock system. So, lets say a 60y shot. I take my 52*, grip down to the "lamkin" on my grip and swing 10-2. This gives the distance I want.

After you figure out which shot you can hit most consistent from a given yardage, write it down in a notebook or index card. Put that card in your back pocket, yardage book or I use a "gstats book".

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/294991/P...4651abedabded15

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

Here is what I did and I cut 3-4 strokes off my handicap doing so.

You'll need a large practice area, something less than a full LB or SW(depending on what you carry). This practice area doesn't have to be a range....any soccor field or football field should work. There is a place about 4 miles from my house that has a large pitching/chipping area.

I went to the center of the green and marked off yardages of 30-40-50-60-70 yards. I started hitting balls until I found the right club for the yardage I was at. I prefer the clock system. So, lets say a 60y shot. I take my 52*, grip down to the "lamkin" on my grip and swing 10-2. This gives the distance I want.

After you figure out which shot you can hit most consistent from a given yardage, write it down in a notebook or index card. Put that card in your back pocket, yardage book or I use a "gstats book".

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/294991/P...4651abedabded15

Great advice fufu. I will go try that out.

I never really figured out what people put in their yardage books.

Hi guys,

Just a question that has been bugging me for quite some time...

How do you hit in between clubs inside the 100 yard range. Do you:

1. have a clock system

2. vary the speed of the downswing

3. other techniques?

It would be good to know what works for you guys out there so i can try it out too.

thanks!

Great question, I actually had the same exact issue this past weekend I played 3 days in a row and gave up a lot of strokes each time due to this. I have a 47* PW and a 52*GW there is probably a 25-30y gap between the two at full swing. I tried pitching a couple of times when I was within those odd distances but came up short each.

Waiting to hear the suggestions from the knowledgeables ones :)

Peace

I use tempo, and I increase my hand action because it gives me an increase in feel. I visualize the path of the ball, choke up, "create" it with a practice swing, and focus on a smooth swing to try to produce what I've visualized. Above all else, good contact produces predictable results.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I just go buy feel I practice alot so I know what is feels like. The clock thing is stupid in my opinion nobody I have seen stops or ends when they think they do. Another reason It does not work is that it ( clock ) only works on one type of lie. What happens if your in the rough or uphill, downhill ect... Practice not checking yards Just hit the shot you think will get you there. Once you learn to do this you will be so much more confident in your short game..

I just go buy feel I practice alot so I know what is feels like. The clock thing is stupid in my opinion nobody I have seen stops or ends when they think they do. Another reason It does not work is that it ( clock ) only works on one type of lie. What happens if your in the rough or uphill, downhill ect... Practice not checking yards Just hit the shot you think will get you there. Once you learn to do this you will be so much more confident in your short game..

you don't have to start or stop, but you have to 'feel' that you do. Those shots are feel shots. Practicing hitting shots "you think will get you there" isn't what the pros do. I guarantee you that. They know exactly what club to hit and how far each shot goes.

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

Got to agree on feel. Practice, practice and then a bit more. Just get to a point where you look at your target (or where you want the ball to land) and simply swing after two or three practice swings. I've no idea how far I go back for a given distance and don't even get to the point of working out or even guessing the yardage. Looking at the shot needed as you approach your ball will also tell you which wedge to use as well. I don't think it's too hard to learn feel other than plenty of practice. To me it's an uncomplicated method without worrying about clock faces and yardages.

The clock thing is stupid in my opinion nobody I have seen stops or ends when they think they do. Another reason It does not work is that it ( clock ) only works on one type of lie.

Your opinion aside...you're wrong.

The clock system works from all lies. You can do one of two things about the "stop". You can either take the "feel" length (ie "I felt like that was a 9:00 swing") and measure the distance, or you can learn to stop at those spots. Have someone stand there with a club so your arms hit the club when you get to the specific spot. Then you measure off the distance.

With shots in the rough, fluff lies, fliers, etc. you still have to be able to read the lie. That's the same as with any shot. You do the same thing with your TLAR ("That Looks About Right") system.

I love me the clock system. It can be frustrating at first, but once you "get it", you have it for a long time and it's very accurate.

-mini

minitour how can you say iam wrong? That why its an opinion and a opinion shared by the top pro's one of them being phil mic I have his short game dvd he clearly says if anyone try's to teach you a clock system "run". I did not say it does not work but without feel you have nothing. There are way to many dif conditions to say ok from 50yrds out ill go 9 to 3 unless you practice every single lie possible you will have no idea where your ball is going.... Ill take feel any day of the week over some " clock " system. In my OPINION people get too hung up on yrds to the pin after 100yrds.

There are 100 dif ways to hit a shot from inside 100. Might be a bump and run, or a high flop shot with a lob, maybe a fade, draw ect so have fun with your system I will stick with mine..

I believe whole heartedly in the "clock" style method that Pelz seemingly advocates. With a conscience effort you can limit your ball flight without having to get cute with extra hand action or possible deceleration. As long as you limit your swing length and accellerate through the ball if you make good contact you will have a better gauge as to what the ball will do the next time with repeatable action. After you have your distances down then you could start working on changing the amount of hands used or the clubs used to manipulate ball flight.

minitour how can you say iam wrong?

Quite easily.

That why its an opinion and a opinion shared by the top pro's one of them being phil mic I have his short game dvd he clearly says if anyone try's to teach you a clock system "run".

You can have any opinion you want. If it doesn't work for you that's one thing, but to state (as fact) that it doesn't work is wrong. You weren't opining that...you stated it as fact. Lefty can think what he wants..doesn't make it true for everyone. Most of the people I know around where I play that use the clock system have better results than the folks that don't.

I did not say it does not work...

Really?

The clock thing is stupid in my opinion nobody I have seen stops or ends when they think they do. Another reason It does not work is that it ( clock ) only works on one type of lie.

...coulda fooled me.

...but without feel you have nothing.

And the "clock system" (at least as taught by Pelz) doesn't remove feel. Many say Pelz removes feel, but they too would be wrong.

There are way to many dif conditions to say ok from 50yrds out ill go 9 to 3 unless you practice every single lie possible you will have no idea where your ball is going....

That's not true either. You will have a VERY good idea where your ball is going. Once you get down your 9, 7:30 and 10:30 swings, it's incredibly simple to go to 9:15 or 8:30, etc. You still have to be able to read the lie. You have to know if the ball is going to jump or if it's going to come out soft. You have to adjust you swing lengths to compensate. If I have an 86 yard shot from light rough, it isn't necessarily a 9:00 56. If it's a flier, I might feel that it's going to jump enough to shut it down at 8:30...maybe I'll make it a 9:00 60 instead. That's called experience. Yet, I still know the ball is going to go roughly x yards.

Ill take feel any day of the week over some " clock " system. In my OPINION people get too hung up on yrds to the pin after 100yrds.

There are 100 dif ways to hit a shot from inside 100. Might be a bump and run, or a high flop shot with a lob, maybe a fade, draw ect so have fun with your system I will stick with mine..

Fair enough. But stop spouting off that the clock system "does not work". You clearly have no idea what you're talking about when you say that.

-mini

You are taking my post to personal if you use the clock system and it works for you great more power to you. I stated this is my opinion. I see this clock system taught to people that are starting out or having trouble with the short game. Now before I go any further this is my opinion and things I have noticed. What i meant by It does not work was that like I have said before every lie is dif and you cant use the 9 to 3 for every 30yrd shot. I know this is common sense but like I stated before the reason they teach this imo is for high handicappers in turn they could get very confused by it because the 9 to 3 worked on there last 30yrd shot but now they have a dif lie and use the same swing and come up short or long... So stop taking this to heart just because you use this system hell if it helps you awsome.

Alot of people are getting away from the feel game in my opinion with all the gps laser distance finders, Hell they even have ones that take the slope out of the equation. People are reading there gps or whatever it says 65 yrds and the pull out the 56* and have a shot for that but now the wind kicks up or there downhill or uphill ect.... They miss the shot and have no clue why. I am NOT saying this is you just stating facts as I see this everytime I get paired with high cappers when I go out. Iam in no way doggin gps but people need some feel play in there game. In bball you dont take a shot with a gps or taking wind readings you hit the shot because you have done it thousands of times when you practice, Same with golf get up there and hit the f in shot period... Stop analyzing my post like a term paper and take it for what it is. Its a forum and everyone has there own opinions so if you cant stand to hear that a way dif than yours works maybe you should take up checkers....

I stated this is my opinion.

Okay, then how about this? "Your opinions is based on incorrect information."

FWIW, you're the one that said the clock method doesn't work (and now you're trying to back your way out of that). I never said your "feel" method doesn't work. Maybe you're the one that should try a different sport? Synchronized swimming? See...I can do it too.

-mini

Your so sensitive minitour, I have only seen high handi's use the clock method and they have no clue what is going on so I am stating facts based on what I have seen not what I read in a magazine. Ask any good stick and they will tell you they play more by feel than anything else.... So to get this threw your head on last time this is my opinion so I do not need to hear how it works for you...

Oh an I have tried synchronized swimming I kept getting my hair wet!!!! lmfao

To the original poster I use the hinge and hold method get phils dvd it will be the best investment you will make....

Interesting thread!

I play all shots inside 100 yards by feel. I rarely make a full swing with a wedge.

I assess my lie and then visually look at the target while making practice swings (usually 4 or 5 in quick succession) until it "feels" right. Then I go ahead and address and hit the ball with that same swing. I try not to get too "yardage bound". In fact, I typically do not use my laser inside of 80 yards and just go on feel.

It may not work for everyone, but seems to work for me. Obviously, one has to play regularly to maintain their feel.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash 11 Wood 25* - PX Evenflow S

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

No problem pastatime. It's just what works for me. I have played with golfers who use the clock system very effectively. I have tried it but haven't had much success. I guess it's just too mechanical for me.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash 11 Wood 25* - PX Evenflow S

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

I've read your following posts, but I think your logic behind your dislike for the "clock" is a bit flawed and probably something you yourself disprove in your own game. I'll pay you the complement of assuming you are a good player. Assuming that, I'll also say that you know how far you hit all of your non-wedge clubs in the bag - as every good player I've ever known does. I'll also go on a limb and say that you pretty much know how far you hit your non-wedge clubs with a 3/4 swing. If so, you play with a "clock" system. Knowing you hit a stock 8 iron 160 yards does not mean your 8 iron knowledge is useless if you have to hit said club from the rough. Your "stock" yardages are a BASELINE. You base hitting your 8 iron (from any lie) knowing that the stock yardage will go 160. That is all the wedge "clock" system provides - 3 known BASELINES with 3 known swings. So the argument that it doesn't work (at all, or well, or only for high cappers) because of different lies is a straw man at best. Your 8 iron "clock" still works from different lies because you make the necessary adjustments and guesses based on your experiences about those lies - same thing works for wedges.

The idea of the "clock" being "stupid" because of your perception of folks not stopping when they think they do is arguing against yourself. If a player feels 10:30 in his backswing, and can repeat that feeling - does it matter if it looks like 11:00 to you or anyone else? Isn't that player playing with feel knowing that the feeling of a 10:30 swing will go X distance? That IS playing by feel. Playing with feel is not born out of mind numbing hours spent practicing without any information or feedback - that's closer to playing with guesses.

"Practice not checking yards", in my opinion, is terrible advice - especially for the scoring clubs. Not one decent player I know will fail to at least look for a sprinkler head when they're 150-250 yrds out. Most players are pretty meticulous with knowing the yardages from that range. Not coincidently, most greens are missed from those ranges DESPITE knowing the yardages. Conversely, more greens are hit (and balls placed closer to the hole) from inside 150 yards. If there is an area where NOT knowing yardages and playing solely by feel will not hurt your score, it would be from 150-250. But why not be as informed as possible when you are inside 150 with the best opportunity to score?

Having to choose between a "feel" player or a "mechanical" player is and has always been a bogus decision. Either will only get you so far, but the best have both. Why not KNOW the mechanics so you can play with feel?

I don't really think about it much, do it by feel. I make sure my left arm is connected to my left pec on the downswing and just swing with my torso. It takes a fairly limited amount of practice time for me to dial distances in for a while. The other day I visited my dad and he's got a large backyard. I hit a bunch of 30-60yd. shots at plastic flower planters I put out on either side of the inground pool. I didn't have my clubs so grabbed an old McGregor blade PW. A few days later when I played I was dialed in. I had about a 50yd. shot over a bunker to tucked pin and I nearly spun it back in with my 60*. For me it's all about having the confidence to make the connected swing needed to fly the ball there, all the way there. Once I can do that, I'm pretty darn good at feeling the necessary distances. It's a good feeling to finally have the 60* really working consistant too. All of those 40-60yd. shots are now flaghunting time, regardless of the pin.

The "flying wedge" drill is pretty much what I use to practice these shots. I suppose I use a combo of speed and clock method but don't really "think" about where I'm stopping the club in the backswing.

minitour how can you say iam wrong? That why its an opinion and a opinion shared by the top pro's one of them being phil mic I have his short game dvd he clearly says if anyone try's to teach you a clock system "run". I did not say it does not work but without feel you have nothing. There are way to many dif conditions to say ok from 50yrds out ill go 9 to 3 unless you practice every single lie possible you will have no idea where your ball is going.... Ill take feel any day of the week over some " clock " system. In my OPINION people get too hung up on yrds to the pin after 100yrds.

clock works for some, doesnt for others. this is not maths.

clock sure worked for nick faldo. and clock doesn't have to be equal back and thru. can be 8-3 instead of 9-3.

tiger doesnt use a strict clock system but he does adjust the length / height of his followthrough to influence trajectory and thus distance. i dont know how it works but he does it.

mechanically, the easiest way is choking and clock-system. Even a player that uses feel like Phil uses a clock system. i'm sure his chip shots aren't full swings with "feel".

oh and phil takes lessons from pelz. pelz does advocate the clock system. phil's not running.