Hitting in between distances

Your so sensitive minitour, I have only seen high handi's use the clock method and they have no clue what is going on so I am stating facts based on what I have seen not what I read in a magazine.

If you have only seen high HCP'ers use the clock method, maybe you were intuitive enough to notice that they probably have no clue about anything related to the golf swing :russian_roulette: I guess you've never watched a tour event in person or on TV or you would have seen players who get great results from the method.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bovi watch his video he denounces the clock system and that is a fact. Yes I do change the distance of my backswing depending on the shot but I do not think oh 9 ta 3 I think you know what to do now execute the shot.. Once again people this is my opinion about the clock method. It was formed by watching hundreds of people try it and have no luck and yes maybe they just have no f in clue but I think I would know atleast one...

One more thing If your not going to help the original poster dont add anything at all...

Bovi watch his video he denounces the clock system and that is a fact. Yes I do change the distance of my backswing depending on the shot but I do not think oh 9 ta 3 I think you know what to do now execute the shot.. Once again people this is my opinion about the clock method. It was formed by watching hundreds of people try it and have no luck and yes maybe they just have no f in clue but I think I would know atleast one...

One more thing If your not going to help the original poster dont add anything at all...

If you've seen the video then you should do an HONEST recount of what he was talking about as it relates to the "clock system" - he was talking about CHIPPING. He was standing 5 steps off the green saying that anyone who teaches a 9 to 3 swing from here is crazy. He is absolutely right. The "clock system" is primarily for shots between 50-125 yards. Phil did not demonstrate ANY shots it that range, which makes it simply dishonest to suggest what he was/is talking about is the same thing you are talking about.

If you have differing backswing lengths for differing distances, guess what - you use the clock system :welcomeani:

Pasta, I believe you are hung up on the 9 to 3 thing. If that is the "clock system" you are thinking of..you are looking at a broken clock. Its not so much that the high hdcp's are playing the clock system without knowing how to do it...its that they do not put the practice into mastering it or any other short game system. After they get the basics down then they need to practice at different lies and trajectories for the different green slopes. And again, where most high hdcp struggle with the short game is they never quite finish step 1 to get to the next step.

The key to short game mastery or any other mastery of the golf game is P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E, P-R-A-C-T-I-CE, P-R-A-C-T-I-CE. If players only get to P-R then any system will look like it was created by an idiot.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

You people do not listen I know that I do not think clock system when I swing I just hit the shot if you want to call that the clock system then fine but Iam not looking at a broken clock I know what it is and I know what I use period. Another thing I never said it was just for high handi's just that they are the people that I know that use it so start reading my post for what it is and not just try to knock someone cause it makes you feel good. The topic was what do you use gives a list of three. I told my opinion on the clock method and gave my advise so maybe you all should do the same...

Mgranto I just rewatched the video and I will stick with my statement he does denounce the clock system for the short game witch last time I checked is 100yrd and in.

You people do not listen I know that I do not think clock system when I swing I just hit the shot if you want to call that the clock system then fine but Iam not looking at a broken clock I know what it is and I know what I use period. Another thing I never said it was just for high handi's just that they are the people that I know that use it so start reading my post for what it is and not just try to knock someone cause it makes you feel good. The topic was what do you use gives a list of three. I told my opinion on the clock method and gave my advise so maybe you all should do the same...

Mgranto I just rewatched the video and I will stick with my statement he does denounce the clock system for the short game witch last time I checked is 100yrd and in.

Whatchu mean "YOU PEOPLE"?! :lol:

Of course you'll stick by it, you've got a lot invested in it by now. The fact still remains, when he's teaching a "how to chip" segment from just feet off the green - NO ONE would use a clock system. If you are at all familiar with the Pelz clock system (which by your comments you are not), his clock system is for his "finesse wedge" swings - not pitching or CHIPPING.

As you correctly pointed out, the short game is X yards and in, but chipping is a specific area of the short game. I bet Phil would also run from using the clock system for putting - after all, it's part of the short game.

Come on, you're better than that! ;)

Whatchu mean "YOU PEOPLE"?! :lol:

Of course you'll stick by it, you've got a lot invested in it by now. The fact still remains, when he's teaching a "how to chip" segment from just feet off the green - NO ONE would use a clock system. If you are at all familiar with the Pelz clock system (which by your comments you are not), his clock system is for his "finesse wedge" swings - not pitching or CHIPPING.

As you correctly pointed out, the short game is X yards and in, but chipping is a specific area of the short game. I bet Phil would also run from using the clock system for putting - after all, it's part of the short game.

Come on, you're better than that! ;)

As someone who has gone through a couple of Pelz short game schools (hence the DavePelz4 moniker), mgranato is 100% spot on. The clock is related to wedge distance solely.

In terms of distance, you will not hear the word feel. Pelz is a math person. Every single thing he does is based upon math...and science. In terms of trying to hit a ball a certain distance there is no teaching on the word "feel." It's is your normal 60degree wedge shot is 100 yards then a 9 o'clock swing will produce a 50 yard shot. Period. No Oprah feelings...just Pelz math.

Now...to go to the other side, this isn't the ONLY was to hit a wedge. It's an approach based upon math and science...with the goal of being consistent.

Feelings can change...math doesn't.

At least that's what he told me for a lot of $$$$!

Ok I see how this is going. What I dont understand is what your problem is I posted this as my OPINION, check my very first post. I do not use the clock system. Iam not trying to back out of anything, I dont think there is anything to backout on. The only thing I have said is fact is what I said about Phil and the fact of noticing a ton off high handi's using this method with no luck, now maybe they dont have a clue and that could very well be true but none the less this is what I have come across.

I have read all of your posts and I see nothing that helps anyone. Some of you get so personal. If someone doesnt use what you use I have said from the start if that works for you great. Some of you make it seem like there is only one way to do things hell do whatever you have to do to get it in the hole. Do not knock someone for there way,dont argue one way is better than the other state your opinion (mine was the clock system does not work) and move on helping the op.

...How do you hit in between clubs inside the 100 yard range. Do you:

1. have a clock system

Not really. I can't bring the club too much past 9:00 without getting off-plane, so I don't have a whole lot of time to work with.

2. vary the speed of the downswing

This is a bit too complex and inconsistent for me.

3. other techniques?

I carry four wedges (five if you count the PW pretending to be 9i). Typical club selections for me are 51* for 100 yd, 56* for 80 yd, 60* for 60 yd, and 64* for 50 yd on full swings. I lay open the 64* for 15 yd lob shots. Bad yardages are those between 15 and 40 yds so I manage my game to avoid those yardages. If I have an in-between shot such as 90 yd, I can grip down on the club a couple inches.

The real trick is that I don't hit a SW 120 yd. ;)

Pretty interesting post, with lots of strong opinions. I think that both a feel and a clock system can work, it just depends on the individual.

I used to control all my tweener shots by feel. In fact the first time I saw my swing on video, there was no difference in my backswing for a full sand wedge and a half sand wedge. I varied my tempo. When I played a lot, it wasn't a problem. My "touch" was good enough that I could play this way.

When I started playing a lot less, the "feel method" didn't work as consistently. Personally, I don't see how it can if you don't play a lot. That is when I switched to the "clock method". It took a while to get comfortable with controlling the length of my backswing but once I did, it worked really well.

I have a 1/2, 3/4 and full swing for my PW, GW, SW and LW and can dial in just about any distance from 45 yards to 120 yards.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Great discussion going guys. Very useful indeed. Since posting this topic i have...

Practicing the different distances from 25y to 75y at the range (mostly with a lob wedge) to get the feel of how hard i should hit. I keep note of the clubhead level in relation to my body as a guide on how far I will hit the shot.

Hitting in at 30y means that the clubhead should only come up to knees while i take it up to my waist for a 50y shot. I'm not sure if what I just described is the clock system or not...and frankly it matters less for me as to assigning a name for it than just describing it as to what it is.

I do try to vary the speed and face of the clubhead depending on how i want to finesse the shot. There was great advice (and also very why-didnt-i-think-of-that-sooner) from Fufu about listing down the swing you apply for each - this one has so far worked wonders in giving me a guide as to what swing i should apply.

All the posters here have made very good points that I will try out at the range. Best to keep an open mind right?

I hope that this post does provide guidance and help for other as it has for me. Keep the advice coming. Thanks!