Club Fitters in Durban

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're screwed in durban... Im looking to go up to joburg (the x-act fit studio and tech lab) to have a complete bag fitting done but only after they renovated the place...

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

aside from all of this.. it seems that our guys at the two major stores are only interested in what they feel is right.. i am not tall.. need my clubs shortened.. took my R11 to one store.. refused to do it.. "u dont need to do that" - take it to the other.. they oblige after telling me the consequences.. i know all.. swingweight/stiffer etc... they cut it down by 0.5" - which is still 0.5" above what i need... played day after.. hit some SWEEET drives... and went higher and further.. almost 15m gain!

called pro shop today to complain.. managers says he agrees with his sales rep cos "u've now ruined the club" - im thinking to myself.. u dick! i only missed one fairway on sunday and played my best round in ages.. if anything i have IMPROVED... he then goes on to tell me i was "one in a million and lucky" to have increased my distance and accuracy! wtf!!!! ps: he also says that it was "unethical for them to shorten it"

i think these guys are not appreciative of the fact that maybe we KNOW what we are talking about and also that we are also quite good golfers... i play of single digit! i know what FEELS right..

if i find a club too long.. i will shorten it until i am happy... i rather be in the fairway that brag to my friends about hitting 1 out 10 drives a looong way.. whats the point..

anyways.. how are the golf clubs in terms of their fittings? country club or beachwood? do they have fitters? what about the teaching pro's???

both stores are only interested in selling stuff (but thats the same in any business) however the golfers club has much better service, where did you get the club shortened? I dont take any salesmans advice I know what I want and they must do it, the customer is always right...

If you are looking at a titleist bag try DCC they have the full titleist fitting cart etc. John dickson the head pro should help you out if not try westville driving range (they are also mainly titleist tho) I dont know of any other golf clubs that offer any form of fitting, Im even wondering if using the X-act fit fitting studio in joburg is a good idea if all they are going to do is try sell me the latest and greatest... The only other option then is the TMAG fitting centre at fancourt.

In terms of teaching pro's I go to john dickson and he is really good but I have heard good things about george harvey at mt edgecombe, just depends on you I suppose.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I think you have to be a dick to work in the pro shop- its company policy by the look of any of the shops I have been to. I cant stand the smarmy bloke running the Nelspruit shop, he is totally condescending and only interested in taking your coin and next to no interest in seeing that the gear fits properly.

Hence I only buy gloves tees and balls from them and mail order clubs from the States for 1/2 what they sell stuff for

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1302852543' post='3155239']
Fantastic john is very good, I'm also interested as to what website you use mozgolf? The costs of clubs in SA are ridiculous...
[/quote]

now if only he would answer his phone.... lol . . . always get voicemail.. and if he is a titleist fitter all the better..

• 2 weeks later...

@Jonesy. I have had no problems with 3balls or Discount Dans. Dans you have to email them as they dont list prices on their site. There are others that will ship but I have found their shipping rates are double what 3Balls and Dans offer- if the deal is good enough or its something you must have that might not be an issue. In Moz anyway we pay duty on the cost of the goods and shipping so it makes a difference.

3 Balls I normally just buy new or the top 2 second hand ratings to avoid any disappointment with condition. There shipping is quick like 4-5 days.

Dans often have very good prices, you just need to know what you want. Their shipping is slower, but still good service. They also are pretty knowledgeable and will help you out and can do some shaft options etc

Also you need to work out what duties you would pay in SA when calculating the merits of a purchase.

To check if a site ships to Africa- just load an item in the shopping cart and start the check out process, if the drop-down list for countries in the shipping address section doesnt include your country, they wont do it. I have tried emailing a few, but they wont budge.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='naushad' timestamp='1302254621' post='3132276']
Do none of you south african guys participate on this forum???

anyways... i am looking for someone who can help me with club fitting in dbn.. i find pro shop and golfers club just wanna make money and couldnt care less how u hit the ball etc..

if anyone here knows anyone good please reply..

thanks..
[/quote]

There is a guy in Cape Town, Warren Lake who is a registered club fitter. He fits Miura, KZG, Wishon, Kramski etc. All the proper stuff including shafts(ACCRA, KBS etc.). His business is called Golf Science and is situated accross the road from Pro Shop North Island. He has a website: [url="http://www.golfscience.co.za"]www.golfscience.co.za[/url]. He is fantastic. He won't rip you off. Hope that helps

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.