2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

V2 85 vs. Fuji Pro95 in a 906F2

JLN

Finalizing what to order...
Title pretty much says it all. Getting ready order something in the next few days - have had mostly good experiences with the Pro95 FW (the Titleist version) stiff, experience with V2 85 FW stiff limited to an indoor mat with a video screen (felt great, but that's all I know - didn't feel overly stiff as some have reported). Curious what others think.

Also considering possibly slapping either of the the above (the driver versions) in my 905R - the V2 75 stiff I currently play has a tendency to be sort of squirrely if I go after it too much, wondering if heavier might help in the opinion of the educated masses on this board. Not likely to find demo versions of either in these parts.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JLN,

I have a 906F2 with Pro95 on order and it's supposed to ship this Friday. I'll let you know what I think after it arrives. I'm currently playing a Pro95 in my 904F and really like it. I fight a high ball flight. This shaft is rock solid and provides a lot of control and a nice low trajectory.

I was also considering same shafts as you for my 905R. I currently have a 757 Stiff, but still too high spin and launch. Really want to switch to this driver for accuracy, but not sure what to do shaft-wise. Was thinking about moving to a 757 X-Stiff, but wondering if the 757 just not as some of the newer technology for the 460cc heads. Was thinking about the V2 75/85 or the new Aldila VS Proto 80. But concerned that both might be higher-launching than the 757. Also considering the Pro95, which I think would provide great control, but would probably give up some distance.

Love to hear from anyone who has found a good match for the 905R.

I like a lot of things about the V2 75 in my 905R, I'm just curious if I can improve on it. Turns out there is a demo day in my area this coming Saturday, so I may be able to answer some of my own questions there depending on what the rep brings with him. I'll report what I find out if there turns out to be anything to report.

I have just added a 906F2 to the bag, with UST V2 Fairway X flex. I switched from a 904 with the Pro 95 shaft. In X flex, there is 3 grams difference in weight, so I can't tell a weight difference. I like the 906 head much better than the 904 at setup. As far as performance and ballflight, it is night and day to me. I think my current gamer gives a much flatter, lower spin flight, and is definitely a little longer, due to the reduced spin. I hit the 906 lower with this combo than I did the 904, I find the V2 shaft to feel a little more boardy than the Fuji, but not in an unpleasant way. I always thought the Pro95 shaft was so smooth that it almost felt borderline loose when I really went after it, but I don't have that issue with the V2. Most of the difference I am seeing might be in the 2 heads, I don't know. I am a high speed high spin player, and the bottom line for me is that the V2 Fairway shaft just seems to work better. Now interestingly enough, I have tried a Cally X Tour 13* with UST V2 75X side by side with my 906F with V2 fairway 85X and there was no comparison, the 75 gram shaft was very loose next to the 85. Of course, the Titleist has a lot more hosel than the Cally, and the 85 gram shaft has noticeably less torque than the 75er. I hope this mindless rambling helps! :idhitit:

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

bradkv - not mindless rambling at all. In fact you said something that made complete sense to me about my thoughts on the Pro95: "I always thought the Pro95 shaft was so smooth that it almost felt borderline loose when I really went after it." I'd never put my finger on it before, but that is my experience as well. I'm looking forward to demoing the V2 85 in a 906F2 this weekend. I'm hoping they have a 905R with that shaft in it as well to see what that is like compared to a V2 75.

I was not in the market for a new fairway wood because I love my Sonartec but hit the 906F2 last week with a V2 fairway and loved it! I ordered one about 10 minutes later. Very tight, I tipically like an X flex in my fairways but this shaft in S seemed very tight so I went with it. Big big difference vs the 65 and 75grm models. I think Titleist will be the hot club company with the new hybrid, woods and putter! The 585h was awesome as well; very nice hybrid.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Well, just put in my order after a trip to my neighborhood demo day. Went with the 906F2 15 degree fairway wood with the V2 85 FW shaft in it - I hit that shaft quite a bit better than the Pro95 they had there (or any other shaft they had in this club). FYI, the ZCOM graphics they now have on the Pro95 shafts are pretty spiffy (for whatever that's worth). Anyway, despite what I've read about the V2 85 FW, it didn't play like a piece of rebar at all - it seemed to be a pretty good fit for me. The V2 was stout, but I got it off the ground easily and it produced a very stable ball flight. Nice club overall - can't wait for it to come in. As an added bonus, I was really banging the snot out of it off a short tee, which is something I never really felt all that confident about with my 904F/Pro95. Should be very handy on tight par 4's if today was any indication of how it will work in the field.

I also ended up ordering the 585.H 19 degree with the V2 100 hybrid shaft. That was a very solid combo. They didn't have the Fuji 904HB there, but I don't know if I would have wanted to stomach the upcharge anyway. There were quite a few people there who tried the V2 100 there who couldn't hit it, but the stronger players who tried it (a couple quite a bit stronger than me and a couple who were probably not as strong) probably ordered it as well. I hit the S300 steel shafted version very well also, but just felt better about the V2 100. Very stable trajectory, no higher than the steel shafted version (I think I actually hit the steel a bit higher), but seemed to carry a bit farther. Probably almost 5-wood length off a short tee. Had the V2 100 not been available, I think I would have been very happy with this club with either an S300 or S400 in it.

So there's my report - I hope it helps anyone who happens to be looking at these clubs.