2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Futures Tour Championship

Parker0065

Congratulations to Sydnee Michaels on backing up her win in August with a win today in the Tour Championship!

My son and I attended the tournament and followed her through the back nine. She played magnificent and made 4 birdies in a row earlier in her round.

I've lived in the Capitol Area for over 12 years and this was the first time I attended a Futures Tour Event. I was very impressed with how well these girls hit the ball.

Unfortunately I heard that this would be the last year for the Tour Championship in Albany, but they are working hard to still hold a Futures event here next year. If so, we will definitely attend again.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1315782107' post='3557501']
I wanted to go yesterday, but I was out playing all day; I did go the last 2 yrs though. How was the wetness of the course? Were they playing the ball down?

I caught the end of it on tv, but really crappy cameras.
[/quote]

My son and I got up early this morning and played 18 at our home course, grabbed some lunch, then drove down from Saratoga to the tournament. There were areas that were still pretty wet, but no standing casual water. They were playing lift clean and place through the green.

Since I've lived in the area I've had many people tell me what a great course Capitol Hills is. This was the first time I've been on the grounds and I've got to get out and play there. It looks like a lot of fun with the rolling hills and elevation changes. I'll wait until it dries out a little more though,,lol! Of course with Hurricane Irene, and all the other rain and flooding we've had, I imagine just about every course in the area is soggy except maybe for Stadium.

Orchid, I take it your in the Capitol area? Where do you normally play out of? My son and I mostly play Airway Meadows and Saratoga State Park. Both are still pretty wet!

[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1315786507' post='3557618']
I wanted to go yesterday, but I was out playing all day; I did go the last 2 yrs though. How was the wetness of the course? Were they playing the ball down?

[/quote]

My son and I got up early this morning and played 18 at our home course, grabbed some lunch, then drove down from Saratoga to the tournament. There were areas that were still pretty wet, but no standing casual water. They were playing lift clean and place through the green.

Since I've lived in the area I've had many people tell me what a great course Capitol Hills is. This was the first time I've been on the grounds and I've got to get out and play there. It looks like a lot of fun with the rolling hills and elevation changes. I'll wait until it dries out a little more though,,lol! Of course with Hurricane Irene, and all the other rain and flooding we've had, I imagine just about every course in the area is soggy except maybe for Stadium.

Orchid, I take it your in the Capitol area? Where do you normally play out of? My son and I mostly play Airway Meadows and Saratoga State Park. Both are still pretty wet!
[/quote]

I play mostly at Schenectady Muni, but all the public courses in the area are fair game, including Capital Hills and the Spa course. I was actually going to play the Spa on Sat but couldn't get a tee time. I've heard that Airway Meadows is a quirky course, never played there yet though.

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1315787555' post='3557649']
[quote name='Parker0065' timestamp='1315786507' post='3557618']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I play mostly at Schenectady Muni, but all the public courses in the area are fair game, including Capital Hills and the Spa course. I was actually going to play the Spa on Sat but couldn't get a tee time. I've heard that Airway Meadows is a quirky course, never played there yet though.
[/quote]

The front nine at Airway is for the most part straight forward, the back nine is qiurky for sure. Too many short tight par4's for most people. It's not my favorite course by any stretch, but it's a great place to practice because everywhere else you play seems wide open after you play the back nine a few times. Spa park is by far my favorite for Public courses in the Saratoga area. A nice layout and a decent challenge for all levels.

Anyways. not to hijack my own thread I started, glad I made it out to Capitol Hills to watch the girls play and it's definitely #1 on my list of must plays!

I think the LPGA did well this year, a very marketable group of Futures Tour graduates particularly the Top 5 with highest status. A few months ago a poster on this forum described Kathleen Ekey as "Natalie Gulbis Jr." Not far off. Sydnee Michaels will be a crowd favorite also. Mo Martin won the Futures Tour "spirit" award last year. Not surprising. I witnessed how popular she was among the other players two years ago at Syracuse. Like a beloved big sister.

I'm glad someone posted a thread on the Futures Tour finale. I nearly started one Saturday night but after looking at the money list specifics there wasn't much suspense. Only Michaels was in jeopardy of dropping out of the coveted Top 5 but only two scenarios could force that -- Hanna Kang or Jenny Gleason winning combined with Michaels finishing below fifth place.

I felt bad for Sophia Sheridan, dropping out of the 10th spot in the final week.

BTW, I play golf in the Capitol area frequently also when I attend the Saratoga meet. Couldn't make it this year. Normally my preference is Van Patten, a layout with three different nines. I also really like the Spa course and the quick trek to the race track from there. Often I'll do a double -- morning golf then the races. Believe it or not the one hole that screws me up at the Spa course is the straightaway short par 4 #10. I hit the most ridiculous tee balls on that hole. It's like a chute with transfixing trees on both sides. There's no target and I can't decide what type of shot to hit. Invariably it's sideways.

Van Patten is always soaked even in a typical August. One of the nines is forced to close all the time. I can't imagine what those courses look like after a drenching like this.