2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

If ever a player, Who is gonna be the next no.1

sunny007

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furyk, if he gained 20 yards for christmas hed be there already. He likes to work the ball, is consistent, and has an amzing short game. Hes a grinder taht wont necessarily over power a course and wow with a 62, but he'll string togethor a nice set of four rounds in the sixties consistently. I mean just look at stats on pgatour.com hes up there in quite a few categories, mainly excluding driving distance.

when tiger gives up his thrown at number i think for a couple of years you will see it changing every weeks between a number of players. adam scott could be in the mix, but he will not take it over like tiger did. i think it will be too late for sergio and furyk. i hope luke donald can pick it up, i like his style of play. agree, its probably a player in college or maybe in high school.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

If Tiger gives it up anytime in the next few years, Adam Scott will be the one to take it.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

If Tiger goes into another "slump" a couple of years from now, he may drop to #2. If that happens I can see someone like Phil, Adam Scott, etc. going back and forth trying to take the spot. However I dont see anyone taking over the the spot permanetly until Tiger is around 40 years old. If someone does challange him for a long period of time it will either be someone you havent heard of yet, or a young guy like Jason Day or Ryan Moore. I really like Ryan Moore, he has proved he can win at the amatuer level, if he didnt have injuies the last two years I think he would have won by now. Look for him to have a big 2007.

The current challangers and why they cant do it:

1. Phil-loses his brain under pressure

2. Ernie- Tiger has him totally psyched out.

3. Furyk-doesnt have the power, or natural talent to challenge day in day out

4. Sergio- no putter, scared of Tiger when he doesent have a teammate to hold his hand. Should have been a soccer player not a golfer.

5. Retief-he's done, will never win another major

6. Adam Scott-no killer instinct, none what so ever. Scared of leading any tournament, I get the feeling he is scared of his shadow, or reflection in the mirror.

7. Camillo- no putter, a pretty boy with no short game.

8. Luke Donald-see Furyk

9. Vijay-age is working against him, had his time to shine when Tiger was rebuilding his swing/no putter.

10. Padraig-not consistant enough, especially in the U.S. reminds me of Colin.

11. Geoff Ogilvy-Hmmmmmmm..........Let's see how responds to winning a major, will he win a few more or will he be the next Davis Love, one major and done winning them.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

..........so then Adam Scott is Titleist's marquee player? (this a holdover comment from the Ernie/Nike thread). According to the rankings currently he is. They both have absolutely amazing swings to watch.

I think Geoff has a better long term chance than Adam does btw. Just my opinion. he broke his cherry under intense pressure on 18 with a superb up and down.

I think Geoff OGILVY will be around for a while, though I don't know if he has the consistency to challenge Tiger for top spot in the next 2 or 3 years.

If you want to look a bit further down the track, write down the name Jason DAY. You will be hearing plenty of it in the future...

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

It has to be a Brit! Either, Ollie Fisher, Rory Mcllroy or Lloyd Saltman. But at this time the only person that can make a move towards number 1 is Sergio Garcia if he figures out how to putt and when he does that oooya Tiger watch out!

I personally think that McIlroy has an unbelievable future ahead of him. I've seen the guy play and he is just amazing!! Plus there's also the fact that he's 17 and has the lowest handicap in Ireland (+4)!! And by the way any of you Americans who think that +4 isnt that good - I think you'll find it is a lot tougher to be off +4 in Ireland than it is in America! Especially in the competitions he plays in!!

(P.S. McIlroy's Irish!!! :drinks: )

I personally think that McIlroy has an unbelievable future ahead of him. I've seen the guy play and he is just amazing!! Plus there's also the fact that he's 17 and has the lowest handicap in Ireland (+4)!! And by the way any of you Americans who think that +4 isnt that good - I think you'll find it is a lot tougher to be off +4 in Ireland than it is in America! Especially in the competitions he plays in!!

If you were to try and work out +4 in america it would roughly be about +5 - +6. the ball in Britian goes nowhere compaired to in the states, fair enough you have longer courses, but as Tiger says "Scotland is the hme of golf and that is where the best courses are in the world"

Looks like an accurate description of the top 10 players. Some are too old, some are too contend with a top 10 and some make so much money that they don't care but even worth non of them really think they can beat Tiger days in days out.

Nobody will took Tigers the #1 place. He will break Jack records and then retire undefeated.

My 2cts

God when i think of it, im only 13!! Work 5-6 hrs a day every day the week and my dads a pro,who can teach me 24 hrs a day. And im still young and my record round was a 64.Ive only been playing a year and a half. I might have a chance!? I know i know, i can,t judge myself but i have to be confident! Not like the other stupid brits on tour who are scared of giving tiger some welling!

But apart from myself, if i speed up a little and get my Adam scott/ Ty tryon swing progressing.

I think it would be either Adam scott, Loyd Saltman, Or a german called Sean Einhaus

The next true "#1 player in the world" is probably in either grade school or high school... probably grade school though.

If Tiger didn't play in another tournament, ever, and when his HUGE lead was finally gone, probably Jim Furyk would be in the lead.. but it would turn over and over within the top 5.

But for someone who will be as dominant as Tiger or Jack.. well.. they're probably in grade school right now...

No1 will touch tiger ! NO1 !!! everyone else would be world number one. your sergios phils and adams would be number 1's If we werent in the middle of the greatest golfers every career lets be hoenst its just like federer there is awersome talent but hes argueably the best golfer ever and defaintly in this generation unless tiger goes he wont leave it and tbh hell be playing atleast another 10 yrs hence why he changed his swing for longevity and tbh i dnt want to see him leave the top spot hes model professional plays awersome shots every round and is very exciting ok some people dont like to see him win majors by saurday afternoon but hey you must be playing good golf to win it by then and everyone else is too weak to challenge tiger can lead any individual stat on a weekend when hes hot . he can putt he can drive and he can hit greens lets face it hes worlds best and shoudl stay number one.

loads great players with tons of talent behind the best golfer of all time who has unlimted talent and the nerve to break all the records and win all the tornaments he wants. he plans his sechdule to win and which he usually does.

tiger woods will still be a name to be heard in decades unlikely to hear mickelson donald or scott names ????

i watched that antony kim boy in the walker cup. theres no chance he will make it big. he gets worked up over holing a 1 footer putt...just settle down and act cool..yes mayb when u hole a 1 footer to win the masters or the open but in the walker cup to half the hole....settle! with a bit of advice mayb

so seems to be the concensus here that Tiger is it until he's done. To me it's irrelevant if he maintains the offical #1 ranking the whole time but if he ever slips off the top 5 for over a full year I'll bet he retires.

So yes basically until he's done he's what were stuck with. Hardly stuck! ;-) The best is yet to come from him no doubt. Scary almost ain't it?

the future is impossible to see but one thing remains viewable...Tiger's utter domination of the entire world of golf. Just to mention one last time: his 'clinic' at the Open this last year was ....well, otherworldly.

impossible to look that far into the future. probably it's someone we haven't heard of yet. Tiger will dominate until he joins the senior tour. if he does join that tour.

the better question is: will he leave any records unbroken?

dont see him breaking byron nelsons record number of tournaments in a row

Sergio - after his putting lessons

Putting lessons will not get Sergio over the top. A perfectly sound, mechanically correct putting stoke is meaningless without having the GUTS and the mental edge to make the ones that count under pressure. The great ones either have it or they don't.

Look at Tiger or Jack in his prime. They very rarely miss the crucial putts when it counts the most. Tiger has been extraordinary, when he is in the zone during a major, it's a shock when he misses from a makeable distance. Sergio will continue to display the same poor results like he did in this year's Open Championship. It's rare that someone becomes a great putter as thier career progresses. Look at Michelle Wie for example. Most kids her age that are great players, are also great putters. It's odd that she is so good, while being a relatively mediocre putter. Usually great putters are always great, even early on.